Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves need MGW to play the next few games. Rejecting the bid now gives us time to have a serious look at who we can bring in before the end of the window with Forest's money. Whether we trust our recruitment team to spend that money effectively is another matter...

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He won't sign because he wants to know where he stands regarding playtime before committing long-term. It's not him being a 'bad egg' or whatever, he's simply playing it smart.
And I hope anyone criticising him for taking this entirely rational decision applies the same logic to players we're linked with who might also be looking to maximise their own chances of: a) getting time on the pitch, and b) squeezing as much money as possible from an 'industry' that at the top level is absolutely awash with cash!

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, too right we should.

If he doesn’t sign he’s worth £10-15m.
Now we’re getting offered £25-35m.

It’s the easiest decision ever IF he won’t sign and I wouldn’t gamble past the deadline on a maybe.
Why is he worth 10-15 if he doesn't sign? He has two years left. If he has a strong season his price won't drop at all. If he has a poor one then yeah alright, his price does drop but this is a player with genuine ability and shouldn't be confused with a very limited player like Traore who had a purple patch.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s worth us seeing if he can translate last seasons form into the Prem personally.. lasts season was his first consistent run of games and he showed a lot of improvement.

35mill for what he had shown in the Prem to-date is crazy money, I agree. But if he starts well, being English also, it would seem like a bargain suddenly

Which is the gamble Forest seem willing to take. Question is, are we happy to, given that we appear to need money in to fund the higher quality targets on our list? As long as he continues to play through the window, and is fully committed, then I’m fairly relaxed for the simple reason that I think we’d need to spend all of his sale fee to buy a replacement who’s as good or better. If we get close to the end of the window, then I get nervous as I will worry that we won’t be able to secure a high quality replacement before the window closes.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If 1. and 2. are right then we can’t do anything. That’s player power and he’s within his right to do that.

I would doubt that’s the case though because Forest have made three offers. I’m presuming they’ve had encouragement from his agent, who they’ve worked with this summer, that he is interested.

3. He will only be worth £35m if he signs, so irrelevant.

4. I agree entirely. I don’t want to sell MGW from a football perspective, he’s excellent. But I’m speaking from a financial perspective.

5. Agree entirely. But I’ve not said they are his concern, simply saying we should accept the bid if he doesn’t sign.
Well it appears your #3 is wrong.
He hasn’t signed but yet Forest have offered £35m for him now.
Back to my #3……It isn’t irrelevant……what if he plays great and some club offer £45 m in Jan?

Agents always listen to offers and rumours…….no big deal. ( but it doesn’t mean that MGW’s agent is encouraging Forest ).

And on this one we can politely disagree….I don’t think we should sell because he won’t sign. I think it would be a mistake.
However, would I still have the same convictions if Forest offered £45m,( they won’t)? Would I quickly join the @WeAreTheWolvesII camp? ……

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not black and white like that. He probably wants proof that he's in the first team plans and needs something tangible (game time) as an indicator.

I would think that Lage showing faith in him for three or four months will see negotiations begin. MGW probably sees the delay as a way of strengthening his hand provided he's playing well.

It's a gamble for everyone. Lage for showing faith, recruitment for turning down big money and MGW for having belief in his own ability.
He might also be a bit leery about Bruno……..why rush to commit when we had a lousy season with Bruno,( style wise), and many wanted Bruno fired?
The smart thing for MGW is to watch and wait.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m struggling to see what a one man demo could achieve? Even if it is Mr Tikka?
What is he trying out? I haven't been to Mr Tikka in ages, but I suggest he sticks to what he knows and doesn't go to avant-garde with the menu.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is he trying out? I haven't been to Mr Tikka in ages, but I suggest he sticks to what he knows and doesn't go to avant-garde with the menu.
He's dropping one of his five soft drinks at the back of the van for four soft drinks. He's hoping this creates room for more options up front.

The temptation is to play it safe with more bread or chips but the punters are hoping for more spice in what was a lacklustre end to the previous season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He won't sign because he wants to know where he stands regarding playtime before committing long-term. It's not him being a 'bad egg' or whatever, he's simply playing it smart.
Says who?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m asking where this belief has come from as I’ve been obviously missed it.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know how you feel but I guess I’m not explaining my position very well.

1. What if he doesn’t want to go anywhere?
2. What if he thinks he can get a better deal by waiting …….especially if he has a great season?
3. Maybe Wolves feel he’ll be worth much more than £35m in a couple of years.
4. Some Mixers want Wolves to get good players IN…..we don‘t want to send the good players OUT, eg, Neves
5. The profits or losses at Wolves are not MGW’s concern and he has to reason to negotiate until he’s ready.

If the reports are correct, then he’s worth 25-35m now (25m cash + add ons). Even if Wolves think he will be worth more than 35m in the future, there is no guarantee. His Champ form may not be replicated, and if this happens, then his value will fall, not rise. He may suffer a serious injury, and may be out for an extended period and may not come back as strong. He may get poor advice, refuse to sign a contract extension, and even if playing well, Wolves will be unlikely to secure 35m+ next summer. All that gets priced into a discounted future value, which may not be much higher than what’s on offer currently. Then to add further uncertainty and complexity, is the value of 25-35m to Wolves now vs say 40-50m in 2 years time.

Similar to Neves, I don’t think he or Wolves are in any rush to open negotiations on a new contract. I also think that all parties have likely seen how the Traore situation has panned out, and will not want to replicate that, as it’s not been to Wolves or Traore’s benefit.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, we don’t. I didn’t say we did have to make it today I don’t think?

I’d accept the offer by the deadline if he won’t sign. I’d also do everything you said in terms of offering him the contract again and lining up a replacement.

Only thing I’d differ on is I wouldn’t play him. But that’s just my opinion, I don’t like the idea of playing someone who may join a Premier League rival (again, my opinion, see us as similar teams). But accept some disagree with that, fine.
Not playing him wouldn’t surely prove his point about concerns about not getting game time though wouldn’t it?

I know you referred to the Nuno season where he was messed about but also last summer he was an integral part of preseason then started on the bench, so I can understand him wanting to wait and see but I’d hope it was a few games not a few months.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If the reports are correct, then he’s worth 25-35m now (25m cash + add ons). Even if Wolves think he will be worth more than 35m in the future, there is no guarantee. His Champ form may not be replicated, and if this happens, then his value will fall, not rise. He may suffer a serious injury, and may be out for an extended period and may not come back as strong. He may get poor advice, refuse to sign a contract extension, and even if playing well, Wolves will be unlikely to secure 35m+ next summer. All that gets priced into a discounted future value, which may not be much higher than what’s on offer currently. Then to add further uncertainty and complexity, is the value of 25-35m to Wolves now vs say 40-50m in 2 years time.

Similar to Neves, I don’t think he or Wolves are in any rush to open negotiations on a new contract. I also think that all parties have likely seen how the Traore situation has panned out, and will not want to replicate that, as it’s not been to Wolves or Traore’s benefit.
Good post.
As your astute first paragraph points out, there’s a lot of possible outcomes and I didn’t go into them when I was replying to the previous poster.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are you allowed to challenge apparent ITK comments like this when it's negative.

Yet even suggest a positive ITK might be talking rubbish and you get absolute pelters.
He’s always negative and disputes others opinions because…>add some random self congratulatory comment here<

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Very well put. But the very same qualifying points would apply to any incoming player: he could get an injury, might not be able to produce the form he'd shown in Portugal or France or wherever etc.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not playing him wouldn’t surely prove his point about concerns about not getting game time though wouldn’t it?

I know you referred to the Nuno season where he was messed about but also last summer he was an integral part of preseason then started on the bench, so I can understand him wanting to wait and see but I’d hope it was a few games not a few months.
Yeah fair point but in my opinion this ‘he needs proof he’s going to play’ is rubbish.

He should know from pre-season he’s going to play. If he doesn’t believe it/trust us, that’s on him. I actually don’t think Lage could’ve done any more whatsoever.

But yep, there’s 5 games in August. My main take on it is by the deadline he has signed a new deal or is sold.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah fair point but in my opinion this ‘he needs proof he’s going to play’ is rubbish.

He should know from pre-season he’s going to play. If he doesn’t believe it/trust us, that’s on him. I actually don’t think Lage could’ve done any more whatsoever.

But yep, there’s 5 games in August. My main take on it is by the deadline he has signed a new deal or is sold.
I think maybe he was burnt by last summer where we played a back 4 and he was a regular in preseason and then we reverted to a back 5 from game 1 and he didn’t start again before the window ended.

If that’s all it is and he wants reassurance then I’m fine with us waiting, if not then yeah, agreed sell and get someone who wants to be here.

There’s that much noise around at the minute it’s difficult to decipher what’s actually true.

I’ll be glad when the windows closed so we can go back to arguing about which players we didn’t sign rather than which we did/didn’t sell!!

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Club told he won’t even discuss new contract (2024)" according to Ornstein.

Big problem for the club. Is this potentially Adama all over again?
Seems like it could be, and I don't see us winning. I fear the best we'll get if he stays is one good season and maybe £20m. Or two good seasons and £0. Worst case scenario is a poor season and £10m, or even two poor seasons and £0.

Given this I'm surprised Fosun aren't selling. My heart says keep but my head says sell, and I feel like Fosun are all head/no heart!!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very well put. But the very same qualifying points would apply to any incoming player: he could get an injury, might not be able to produce the form he'd shown in Portugal or France or wherever etc.
Absolutely

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s always negative and disputes others opinions because…>add some random self congratulatory comment here<
Not always negative at all, I am a staunch defender of hwang…. Might be a losing battle, I have been very praising and supportive of Bruno and what he is doing in pre-season, I have praised the club and Bruno for giving conor Ronan the shot he deserves.

I am sorry that you asked who and how this information came to me, so I shared….. you are probably more annoyed that you could not take the **** that it wasn’t based on blind emotionless facts.

I don’t care if me sharing how I know stuff gets the **** taken out of me or grief on here. It is what it is, I know and have to accept What I have been told by mates and connections I have made is tinged in the negative….. because that is when people vent and take frustration out and as the wolves guy, guess what they bitch and moan in my direction. And you challenged me about do I defend the club in a previous post at me, no I don’t as I wasn’t there to question them and they’re direct experience or interaction of a person and accept that as their lived experience and knowledge I cannot or will not get.

Some of what I have been take with a pinch of salt and move on and other bits I hear from a couple of people and accept.

I hear and know more about other clubs than I do wolves, as I have said elsewhere and I am a crap ITK for this club.

I personally listen and like to see what @SteveBullsKnee says as he knows agents who deal with our club personally as do others.

It is an Internet forum and it won’t affect my life either which way if people like you don’t like me or what i say. I will go about my day as normal.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Club told he won’t even discuss new contract (2024)" according to Ornstein.

Big problem for the club. Is this potentially Adama all over again?
I doubt it.
Everyone in football is aware of the Traore situation. It’s a reminder to all how sometimes, perception of a players value, is not on solid ground.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton just sold a left back for £50m, and some of you can't understand why the club haven't sold an exciting young, homegrown (and most importantly British) talent for £25m. Even if we keep him and he doesn't have as big of a breakout year as some of us expect, he's still going to be worth £15-20m in a year even with a year left on his deal, by virtue of him being a 22 year old English attacking midfielder who has shown constant improvement. On the flipside, he stays with us, starts every game, plays very well, signs a new 5 year deal, his value will fly up.

I'd want a lot more than £30m to be enticed (and Forest's current offer currently has a bunch of unprobable addons most likely).

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Desperate for a fellow Staffordian to succeeed and be a great player for us, the first in my 64 years of support but would sell for £35m if I could trust dumb and dumber to reinvest, sadly I don't.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it was £30mil +£5mil in add ons or £35mil upfront then I would consider it but anything less upfront then not at all

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Nothing fact about what he will be worth. He could well be crap the next 5 months and drop to 10m value.

All this hell be worth 60m *******s in the 3 years. One of the greatest midfielders we've ever had in our team still can't fetch 60m.
Attacking players are worth far more than defensive mids

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You think their club record signing isn't going to start?
I'm not sure because he's competing with Lingard and Johnson for two places. There is a possibility he could play all three but no natural striker would be a risk considering they spent £17m on one and excelled having Keinan Davis as the focal point last season.

I believe he has more chance of minutes at Wolves than Forest.

The point was more that he isn't moving to Forest for game time. The likelihood is he plays regularly for both.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah pretty obvious he wants to go tbh and even if does stay beyond this summer he is more likely to run down his contract than sign a new one...

Get a replacement IN FIRST(!!!) then move him on if he doesn't want to be here.

What a shame really.
It’s not obvious he wants to go, he is supposed to want to wait to see how he is being used this season first, ie he wants to see if he is a starter. He is tomorrow so we have to wait and see until the end of the window and a few games in.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably all true, but he may be worth more to our current team (not cash value, but footballing productivity) as an attack minded creative player when Lage is trying to change formation and style, playing forward with more possession and on the front foot.

Who else do we get for that position and philosophy that’s any better, and knows English football, for the same or less money than we make by selling him?

I suspect we thought Trincao might be that player, and look how that turned out.

Back
Top Bottom