Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Would you sell Coady or keep

Coady

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gotta keep at the minute given the likelihood of things going tits up with a new system with only one new player added.
In a way that is the crux of it though, what if selling him means you can buy a midfielder or forward that can help make the new system work?

Are we “all in” to evolve the team and be more attacking or are we hedging our bets!...

NJWolves69

Groupie
Reaction score
I voted Sell, but probably for no less then £20M. WC year for him and we have depth at the position already. Can't express how stupid loaning him would be.

To be honest why would Everton be looking at Coady? They already have Keane, Tarkowski, Godfrey, and Mina and their striker situation is more dire than ours! I know an ITK said the link was legit, but this feels like agents trying to drum up interest

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
25m sell him he’s not getting any younger or quicker. We must realise the importance of resale value if we are going to be a sell to buy club. We cannot hang on to the past. He wants to make his uncle proud toffee. We could buy another midfielder or defender with the money so I think in regards to this situation we must look to the future. Neves is a captain or Collins. Therefore I would sell if the price was right.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In a way that is the crux of it though, what if selling him means you can buy a midfielder or forward that can help make the new system work?

Are we “all in” to evolve the team and be more attacking or are we hedging our bets!...

It took Klopp and Guardiola almost a season to bed in a back 4 with a high defensive line and that was with far stronger and deeper squads. The question is will Lage get the time if we go, say, 6 games without a win.

Given the risks of changing system and the lack of experience amongst our centre halves, seems bonkers to shift Coady on this window. Some posters seem to be assuming we’ll seamlessly evolve to 4 at the back. Seems sensible to keep a proven insurance policy in place until Jan at the least assuming Coady’s happy to stay and fight for his place.

floydstreet

Reaction score
He’s the soul of the club keep
Also Kilman and Collins have played one season in prem each and could get injured or dip in form, we’d need him
As for a loan - ridiculous idea like Adama all over again

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Coady has been the heartbeat of our club for a number of years, he has been a massive part of this clubs rise and the criticism he gets is often very unjustified.

In a occupation that features the likes of Greenwood, Mendy's and other unsavoury characters, Conor has stood out as a fantastic person.

If we are going 4 at the back with Kilman and Collins then Coadys game time will be limited, I think as a club we should consider his wishes with the world cup around the corner.

If we go 4 at the back lose a couple and want to revert back to a 5 then letting him go would be a disaster and the same people who are his biggest critics would then be criticising the club for selling him.

If he goes then he goes with the best wishes of nearly everyone associated with Wolves and he has cemented his place in the clubs history as a great player and a great person.

The critics however should remember that the grass isn't always greener in terms of players.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If that was the case and it enabled us to keep Neves & MGW I could accept it. I just have my doubts! And don’t get me started on a loan!

IANWILSON

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd sell. Definitely not gonna be first choice and was found out last season big time. £20m and I'd be happy.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we sell him, we are desperately running out of songs to sing. The Coady one became one of my favourites.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo
Dendoncker
Traore
Podence

The problem we’ve got is we need to sell to buy and no one (currently) is getting close to our valuation on Neves. There’s not much serious interest in most of our other players except for Gibbs-White and Coady. If we sell one of those two to fund, say, Nunes or Ramos, I’d rather it be Gibbs-White. What do people think happens if Collins or Kilman pick up a serious injury after the window closes. Boly looks shot to me and Mosquera looks like he needs a loan so we’d be hugely gambling on Toti Gomes.

You ain’t getting big fees for any of those .

Semedo and podence far more important than coady imo

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to Everton, he doesn't deserve the **** they will give him if it doesn't work out.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As with everybody else it depends on the money offered, and whether we can get a better replacement. I'm guessing Collins is seen as a better replacement by many, but we are gonna have quite an inexperienced backline.

But if we are going 4 at the back, which i think we should be doing as I don't think a back 5 suits that many of our team now then if we got close to 30million I'd take the money, as much as I like the guy and think he's a much better defender than people give him credit for.

I don't like to be negative but honestly I fancy us to get battered the first 5-6 games, I felt pace in the midfield and better positional discipline for full backs was the pre-requisite to us switching rather than just centre backs. I think there will be a lot of situations where it ends up being 3 on 2. I don't fancy us to score many more either as it stands, Neto aside I don't think any of our attacking players are that special now. But I guess we'll see.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the space of one hour, I’d now keep him. To play CF . There’s no one else

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sell if the price is right,and i mean £25 million plus
Again only sell if we can buy a CM imo as thats where we are weakest even with no striker at the moment

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have to disagree with the writer of this piece for The Athletic. He seems to suggest Wolves have some sort of debt to pay for Coady's loyalty. I think the relationship between player and club has been mutually beneficial. Wolves should only sanction a move if it's good for the club, and that means getting as much money out of Everton as possible.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have to disagree with the writer of this piece for The Athletic. He seems to suggest Wolves have some sort of debt to pay for Coady's loyalty. I think the relationship between player and club has been mutually beneficial. Wolves should only sanction a move if it's good for the club, and that means getting as much money out of Everton as possible.
Yeah, I think Wolves (since Nuno) and Coady have been extraordinarily good for each other; and his influence off the pitch with other players, fans, the media etc can't be overstated. But keeping him around for sentimental reasons would be a mistake for him and us.

(That's not to say that sentimentality is the only possible reason to keep him around - far from it.)

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Wolves (since Nuno) and Coady have been extraordinarily good for each other; and his influence off the pitch with other players, fans, the media etc can't be overstated. But keeping him around for sentimental reasons would be a mistake for him and us.

(That's not to say that sentimentality is the only possible reason to keep him around - far from it.)
We shouldn't make it easy for Everton either because of sentiment towards Coady.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think another factor to consider is that one of Coady's major assets - his long passing to the wings - will be nullified a little with Lage's narrower forward line. Full backs will provide width, but I think balls in behind and overlaps will be more regular features than long balls to feet.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think another factor to consider is that one of Coady's major assets - his long passing to the wings - will be nullified a little with Lage's narrower forward line. Full backs will provide width, but I think balls in behind and overlaps will be more regular features than long balls to feet.
Good point.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His influence and leadership off the pitch is severely underrated. It's also worth saying that we have two very young CBs in Kilman and Collins. They'll need some help during the season and Coady is perfect for that.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep. We will be back to a 5 in short order when we start shipping goals

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His influence and leadership off the pitch is severely underrated. It's also worth saying that we have two very young CBs in Kilman and Collins. They'll need some help during the season and Coady is perfect for that.

How is a CB that can’t defend going to help them

People need to stop being afraid of the back 4, acknowledge there may some issues at first - and for us to move away the terribly defence back 5 we have to play to accommodate coadys lack of pace

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How is a CB that can’t defend going to help them

People need to stop being afraid of the back 4, acknowledge there may some issues at first - and for us to move away the terribly defence back 5 we have to play to accommodate coadys lack of pace
That's like saying why should Lage listen to Raul about scoring goals because Lage wasn't a footballer. If you watch games where Coady has been involved, he's essentially been coaching the back line in terms of positioning, when to close down, when to back off etc. Having him there gives players one less thing to worry about and is a very valuable asset.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's like saying why should Lage listen to Raul about scoring goals because Lage wasn't a footballer. If you watch games where Coady has been involved, he's essentially been coaching the back line in terms of positioning, when to close down, when to back off etc. Having him there gives players one less thing to worry about and is a very valuable asset.

Damning indictment of his leadership and communication skills, considering our shambolic defensive organisation the back end of last season.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I hope Coady stays. I don't think he will. He will go with my best wishes.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He does in a three, but not so much in a two. I agree his experience would be a loss, but certainly not insurmountable

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score
I think he is a fantastic person and has been a very valuable player for us but I would sell him. I feel his strengths were in his long range passing… I actually don’t feel we even really use that now. We should commit to the back four if that is what Bruno really wants to do. If we need to go to a back five then we don’t have to have Coady to play in that system.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady remains a massive asset for us this season, even if he's not playing week in and week out.

If he leaves it has to be for good money. No excuses. He's our club captain, if Everton want him then pay good money for him.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not so sure. Neves has been dropping into the QB position and spraying them to the full backs in pre season. They are still quite high up the pitch.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we get a sizeable offer that'll allow us to really strengthen elsewhere then it's hard to turn that down.

Upwards of £25m would enable us to upgrade in midfield or even up top both where we need, at the back we've still got Boly, Toti and Mosquera plus could probably pick up another more experienced option if needed in the remainder of the window.

A loan without any guarantee is unacceptable though, if Coady wants to be in the England squad he should be able to win his place back here really.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tough one, because I'm in the "4 at the back for some games, 5 at the back for others" camp, and there are going to be defending leads where we'd like to switch to 5. Coads has given us so much these past 7 years that I defer to what he wants. If that's to leave, so be it, but we'd better bloody reinvest those funds.
While that’s perfectly sensible, those 12 games would presumably be against the big 6?
I wouldn’t want Coady anywhere Haaland tbh, he’s bigger, stronger, and twice as fast, he’d have an absolute field day against him in the same way that Lukaku did.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing Lage's quotes in today's press conference think it's safe to say a move away could very much happen this transfer window...

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It took Klopp and Guardiola almost a season to bed in a back 4 with a high defensive line and that was with far stronger and deeper squads. The question is will Lage get the time if we go, say, 6 games without a win.

Given the risks of changing system and the lack of experience amongst our centre halves, seems bonkers to shift Coady on this window. Some posters seem to be assuming we’ll seamlessly evolve to 4 at the back. Seems sensible to keep a proven insurance policy in place until Jan at the least assuming Coady’s happy to stay and fight for his place.
Nobody said seamless, but we now have the right physical attributes in the players for a back 4, and a whole pre-season to do it. Plus a sweeper keeper.

The reason that Liverpool suddenly went from also-rans to near invincible was Van Dijk and Allison.
As in they got the right player profiles for the system. We have that in defence and keeper now, midfield not so much.

Back
Top Bottom