Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read it, quite a positive article...

Yes could be a bargain buy...

Yes...
Like most others I want us to go for the likes of Ramos. But if money is tight, we need to make the best of what we have.
It's obvious Ramos will be a good striker for years to come, while Hwang will give os 2, maybe 3 good seasons if successful.
But if he gets 11-12 goals a season for us as he did in the past 2 seasons that will be a very good output from a 3M investment.

Also, hopefully the fee leaves room for 1-2 other signings, especially I midfield.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone help simple me understand how, Wolves, apparently one of the 20th richest clubs in the world, look like paupers next to Nottingham ****in Forest?

In simple terms, when have forest suddenly gotten rich, as im completely perplexed by it all.
The Championship FFP has done teams over.

There are loads of owners who would spend if they could go up - I think Sheff Wed would've been another in the past.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sincere apologies in future I will keep scratchings, or indeed any other snack based products (both fried and baked) out of any responses.
If you could provide a list of humorous subject matter that you do find acceptable, that’s be a big help.

Thank you for providing quality control in this thread. Your service is appreciated.

Pah. Your scratchings were “hypothetical “.

Even my dogs turn those down.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone help simple me understand how, Wolves, apparently one of the 20th richest clubs in the world, look like paupers next to Nottingham ****in Forest?

In simple terms, when have forest suddenly gotten rich, as im completely perplexed by it all.
Because they’ve got a year of PL income (mostly TV plus gate) to budget against, same as us…but then they’ve also got so little of it committed before the spending spree.
Half their promotion players were on loan, so they’ve got half a squad of championship wage players. That leaves a lot of room.

Whereas we have a small squad of decent premier league salaries, nobody apart from kids on peanuts, and big wedges of cash still tied up in finishing paying for a number of transfers since promotion.

There’s your difference.
They’re gambling big on staying up, like Villa did, and us to an extent. Spend big, boost the squad to the appropriate level quickly, then the money is tied up for years to come but you’re then comfortable without boom-busting.
Sound familiar? Oh it’s us.

Last edited:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Coady but I feel either he or Boly must leave. We clearly need to raise funds and they're both saleable - Coady moreso.

With Mosquera and Toti, we have youth coming through and I'd be loath to see their route to the first time blocked.

Please for the love of God don't loan them out though!

R

reanswolf

Except that's not the case. We've obviously been looking both before and after.

Now if you'd said 'signed' I'd agree - it is ridiculous. Not the end of then world ridiculous but still daft.

Also, transfer rumours are just that. Judge on actual signed players or official statements, not mindless gossip with wording like 'keeping tabs on'. Wolves will have extensive portfolios on endless players. You don't just go looking at the last minute (tho sometimes an unexpected opportunity may come up).

I swear some folks think football is run like a computer game, not by actual professionals who do this for a living. It's messy and corrupt but it's also professional and detailed with crazy statistics and reports available now.

We can judge by lack of signings because that's a fact, not by what the rumour mill pumps out. Especially the wording that gets used.
But we are judging on signed players. The season starts day after tomorrow.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I'd consistently predicted something with certainty, and it had consistently not happened, I think I'd stop saying it, because I'd worry about making myself look silly.

September last year:

January 2021

September 2020

September 2019

December 2018

And my absolute favourite, from May 2017:
A thorough evisceration. Who was the other relegation phoney that was exposed?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember doing research on both Ramos and Henrique Araujo when we were first linked to the two of them around a year or so ago. Having watched all the Portugal U21 games since then, and also some Benfica games (both senior team, and in the youth league - Araujo played in the final), these two players will be the real deal imo.

It’s crazy just how good Ramos is at striker, considering he never even played there till a few years ago, he was deployed in midfield for the longest time in the academy!

Ramos is already starting to show it at senior level and will 100% go for big money - £40m+ easy next summer if he isn’t sold now, and Araujo will be the same in a year or two’s time if he follows the same trajectory that he’s on now.

Mentioned him before, and not a striker, but Diego Moreira is a young winger I like a lot for them too…
That is blinding post! And I agree with all of it, these are the types of players we should be snapping up.

They are far more “ready” than Fabio was when we spent £35m on him. Yes he will be a good player, but he had no senior experience compared to these two and even a £40m ramos fee makes £35 for silva even more a stupid fee to have paid on a gamble when it has clearly affected our ability to spend in future windows and him not even being here for the third season which is when we should have seen more of him in his development.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Lingard wages, if they did somehow get MGW and ramos i think they are dangerously close to implosion if it doesn't work

The Reds are also in talks with Willem II Striker Jizz Hornkamp
Think Fabrizio would be better off staying the players that Forest are not after. I was glad to see them getting promoted instead of one of the usual yoyo clubs, but their fans and their 'list' is getting on my nerves now. Would love to see them sink like a stone.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't at all surprise me if Forest's move for Ramos is linked to their bid to sign Morgan Gibbs-White.

They know we want Ramos, they know we have to sell to buy, they want Morgan Gibbs-White as their number 1 target, but we are saying we don't want to sell him.

So they leak that they are moving for Ramos instead to force our hand?

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Ramos goes to forrest ill have a break down.

Lads just scored a hat trick in champs league, forest finished 4th in the championship.

Whats going to turn his head, only can expect salary but it would be absolutely mental.

He would need his head checked if he went forest.

I rate Ramos but the hattrick was against Midtjylland who are in a crisis and recently sacked their headcoach. They did respond to that with a 5-1 against a poor Odense side, but they still look quite shakey and against Benfica the defence was all over the place.
Add to that that Benfica looked like a well run machine, something that helps a striker too.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That hwang article is pretty good. Sounds like an ideal reserve striker if short term.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I had to guess

Coady and MGW sold

Andre Silva loan to buy
Boubacar Traore
Darío Osorio
Robert Renan

One of the other linked strikers if we can't get Silva in

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I rate Ramos but the hattrick was against Midtjylland who are in a crisis and recently sacked their headcoach. They did respond to that with a 5-1 against a poor Odense side, but they still look quite shakey and against Benfica the defence was all over the place.
Add to that that Benfica looked like a well run machine, something that helps a striker too.
Fair, still think the lads a future star, has all the attributes.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does it fund Mendes If the player doesn’t sign?
Try working out how much he has earned on the transfers he has worked for us, either permanent or loans? But also if you dont think he uses us as a bargaining chip to up the price another club will pay to get their player.
Mendes works for Mendes. Trouble is we have not got our own negotiator capable of competing with Mendes. We should have.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't at all surprise me if Forest's move for Ramos is linked to their bid to sign Morgan Gibbs-White.

They know we want Ramos, they know we have to sell to buy, they want Morgan Gibbs-White as their number 1 target, but we are saying we don't want to sell him.

After some quick research looks like they’ve been admirers of Ramos since last January if you believe reports from Portugal. Were interested in getting him on loan.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news if the funds we raise are through selling coady. would be a brilliant signing for Everton, and work for him and his World Cup place

Jjst hope we keep hold of neves and Mgw

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My thoughts too, I think I'd rather have Ramos

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would much rather have ramos.

Wouldn't we all?
Ramos is a big talent, no doubt.
But I don't think Ramos is currently worth 10 times more than Hwang in terms of the output we'd get, so if we don't have 40M to spend on a striker, the output we'd get from Hwang probably isn't much worse than what a club will get from Ramos yet.
Let's imagine Hwang gets 12-13 goals. Will Ramos get double that ?
Yes he scored a hatrick against a poor Midtjylland side and has looked good in preseason.
But he only scored 7 last season and PL is a step up.
Is he really worth 40M?

And yes of course if you look at potential, he's worth that. But looking at potential current output, difference between him and Hwang isn't that big

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great news if the funds we raise are through selling coady. would be a brilliant signing for Everton, and work for him and his World Cup place

Jjst hope we keep hold of neves and Mgw

I heard Neves staying is a big reason why MGW wants to stay. Maybe he's heard United are in for Neves so now he's not that keen .

Hopefully as you say they both stay

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did we accidentally buy the wrong Hwang before?
Undoubtedly. Needs a clever lawyer to draw up a loan agreement with an option to return a Hwang at the end of the loan but clearly not the same one!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair, still think the lads a future star, has all the attributes.
Absolutely! And he will be much better than Hwang.
But I dont see us in a position where we can pay that much for a striker that might take 1-2 seasons to hit the ground running.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Try working out how much he has earned on the transfers he has worked for us, either permanent or loans? But also if you dont think he uses us as a bargaining chip to up the price another club will pay to get their player.
Mendes works for Mendes. Trouble is we have not got our own negotiator capable of competing with Mendes. We should have.
Your statement said about players not signing when we’ve offered more, how does he earn from us in that scenario. Even if the player goes elsewhere he earns less.

Of course Mendes works for Mendes, he also works for us and we have financially benefited from that many more times over. Mendes recommended Fosun buy us, No Mendes and we’d still be in the championship without the additional £100 million plus turnover we get per year.

Of course we have negotiators that’s just silly talk. It’s not as black and white as see a player sign a player. As a club we’re perceived as being a tight drum we don’t over pay for players (silva aside and that was a fee based on potential) and we don’t over pay players. Signing players within a tight budget is difficult, hence why Leicester who’s budget is slashed havent .

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think the general consensus is Wolves are up for sale, simple as that.

There is some scope for extra spending within the FFP framework, which various clubs are taking advantage of, but not, it appears, Wolves. We are trying to do the minimum and not accumulate any debt, (105m is allowed over any 3 year period).

It can easily, of course, go all wrong, which has to be the most likely scenario at present.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thought occurs that we've already signed Ramos but as per the media he won't move until after the CL qualifiers. Part of that was to "let" Benfica sign Enzo.

And now we're looking for a back up until Ramos moves.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a piece where the writer recommends Hwang as a replacement for Lewandowski at Bayern.
He might be cheap but doesn't mean he's bad. Could well turn out to be a bargain buy.
Sounds ideal as a bench player and someone who will be here for a couple of seasons ala Marcal ie. Cover whilst younger players develop

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Benfica have 5 strikers in their squad currently (even after selling D. Nunez & Seferovic):

Gonçalo Ramos
Petar Musa (joined this summer)
Henrique Araujo
Roman Yaremchuk
Rodrigo Pinho

The sticking point is that they now only play with 1 striker under new manager Roger Schmidt. All the talk is that Rui Costa and Schmidt want to cut it down to 3 strikers for the squad, and they’re willing to let Ramos leave for around €30m-€40m as they feel he’d raise the most funds & they’d still have more than adequate cover - with the likes of Musa who scored 11 goals for a very average Boavista team last season, Yaremchuk & then Araujo who is very highly rated amongst their setup.

With the connection we have to Mendes, surely a loan to buy is on the cards there, and long term, would set us up very nicely for when Fabio returns on loan from Anderlecht considering the partnership the pair have formed for Portugal u21s.

In the 8 games they’ve played together, they’ve managed a total of 16g + 7a between them!

Ramos - 10g, 1a
Fabio - 6g, 6a

Last edited:

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a piece where the writer recommends Hwang as a replacement for Lewandowski at Bayern.
He might be cheap but doesn't mean he's bad. Could well turn out to be a bargain buy.

He's cheap cause Bordeaux are desperate for money I believe

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finish fifth or finish sixth
We’ll finish bottom said The Mix
Gold and Black and sometimes white
They would always win the fight

Hwang Hwang, they’ll shoot you down
Hwang Hwang, you’ll hit the ground
Hwang Hwang, that awful sound
Hwang Hwang, the Wanderers shot you down
Lulu.....boom bang a bang, boom bang a bang when you are n
Boom Hwang and Hwang , boom Hwang and Hwang we've got2 here
Yes...
Like most others I want us to go for the likes of Ramos. But if money is tight, we need to make the best of what we have.
It's obvious Ramos will be a good striker for years to come, while Hwang will give os 2, maybe 3 good seasons if successful.
But if he gets 11-12 goals a season for us as he did in the past 2 seasons that will be a very good output from a 3M investment.

Also, hopefully the fee leaves room for 1-2 other signings, especially I midfield.
If hwang 2 is as decent as people say , it could make Raul the reserve....who knows?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The FFP regulations have actually always given newly promoted clubs a bit of an advantage in the transfer market.

Mainly because their turnovers increase massively in comparison to their wage bill, effectively giving them more to spend.

For example, Forest's wage bill last season was around £37m. Ours was close to £100m.

Forest's turnover was around £18m, so they had more than 200% wages to income ratio (ours was around 192% in our Championship season too, so not uncommon).

Every Premier League club will see their turnover rise to above £100m. So when they call the playoff final the richest game in the World, they aren't joking.

Without taking previous losses, current player amortisation, or promotion wage rises into account, in a nutshell, it means newly promoted clubs have a lot more financial wiggle room to spend, before they start reaching any limits for FFP losses etc.

The competitive advantage on transfer spending is even starker this year, as anyone like us hoping to be in that group of clubs who qualify for Europe need to keep a close eye on the new UEFA FFP regulations that have just come in.

In short, that limits clubs to a combined wage and transfer spend of 90% of our turnover for this season (then 80% next, 70% by 24/25) . Our wages currently account for 72% of our turnover.

So we have a much tighter gap on spending before losses mount up, or we hit the 90% of turnover number.

But a club who have just seen their turnover go up over 5 times, with still a comparatively low wage bill, again have much more wiggle room!

So in answer to your question, they got rich when they were promoted. If they stay up for a number of seasons, with wages rising organically, higher profile players signing and player amortisation increasing, they will face the same challenges as any other club in that situation.

Forest have the added challenge that if they do stay up, do well and sneak into Europe in a few seasons, their owner, Evangelos Marinakis, then has to decide which of Forest and Olympiakos he keeps hold of, as both aren't allowed to compete in UEFA competitions at the same time if owned by the same person!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom