Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Mic’d Up

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Little bit like his press conferences, while he may be intelligent and have good ideas and tactics just find his language and articulation difficult to follow.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know how the players understand a word he's saying. When he was talking to Gibbs-White you could see Morgan looked utterly bewildered trying to work out what he was on about. I like Bruno but the language barrier is far worse than I imagined judging by that footage

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know how the players understand a word he's saying. When he was talking to Gibbs-White you could see Morgan looked utterly bewildered trying to work out what he was on about. I like Bruno but the language barrier is far worse than I imagined judging by that footage
Must admit I thought the same.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know when some documentary manages to get into North Korea or China and they visit a school or workplace and it is all really fake to show how amazing everything is......just saying

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Little bit like his press conferences, while he may be intelligent and have good ideas and tactics just find his language and articulation difficult to follow.
It says more about you than it does Bruno. I followed every word without a problem.

I've been very critical of Lage, his grasp of English is not something that can be called in to question though.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What a crazy conclusion you’ve come to there

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some very strange comments about Bruno on here. I'm sure the players understand him

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players don't seem very engaged to say the least.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s clear Bruno is a great coach. His matchday management was his main weakness last season so hopefully head learned from mistakes. Also questioned his man management before but everybody seems to like him so maybe there were just a few players he hated last season.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd have grown up very confused in my family. All my aunts and uncles had accents.

Consider for a second, how the English would sound to foreigners if we all spoke second or third languages (which we don't).

Honestly I struggle more with a thick black country accent than I do Bruno's.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of things to be critical about currently but Brunos coaching and language skills certainly aren't among that.
English is my second language but I understood perfectly clear.
What does play a part though is that it's edited a lot and filmed so we mainly see Bruno, so it's hard to really grab the context of what he's trying to get across and the exercise they do.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is why I’d rather the club did absolutely nothing media wise. The same old faces moan regardless.

Nothing from Shi then a video and it’s all “can’t be trusted, he’s a liar”

Nothing from Sellars then bizarre comments about how he’s dressed

Nothing from Lage and he’s likened to a village football coach who can’t speak English.

The sooner we return to being a mediocre championship team with British owners and a British coach to keep the unwashed happy the better.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'd have grown up very confused in my family. All my aunts and uncles had accents.

Consider for a second, how the English would sound to foreigners if we all spoke second or third languages (which we don't).

Honestly I struggle more with a thick black country accent than I do Bruno's.
It's not so much the accent, more that he's struggling to find the words he wants to say. I worked out eventually that he wants players to get their heads up and look in front of them as opposed to playing the easy ball back or sideways, with Gibbs-White he's telling him he sees him as a player who is better inside than on the wing, but you can see from Morgan's face he's having to concentrate pretty hard to work out what Bruno's trying to say to him because he's struggling to convey the meaning of what he's clearly got going on in his head. He even resorts to Portuguese at one point because it isn't natural for him. Morgan is motivated and hungry for success so Bruno has his ear, but you can imagine there would have been some occasions where players are struggling with COVID or just mentally preoccupied due to the changing societal dynamics we have all experienced over the last few years, and wouldn't have been able to give the mental bandwidth required when you're moving from a manager who was safety first and favoured the safe pass to one telling the players not to do that.

It's unfair and lazy to bundle me in with those who are using it as a stick to beat the club with - that wasn't my intention at all. Managers come into the Premier League from abroad, and will find the language barrier difficult, whether it is Sarri, Big Phil Scolari, Bruno, Nuno, Conte or Wenger, it isn't natural for them to communicate in English, regardless of how proficient they are. I know that myself from speaking 4 languages and even using two of them day in day out professionally when I was younger - it isn't your mother tongue, and as such when you have limited pockets of time to get your point across, that can be a challenge. It doesn't mean it is an insurmountable barrier to success, it simply means they probably have to try a bit harder to ensure their point is understood, but where football makes it that bit harder, is you rarely see players asking the manager to repeat what they've said because they don't understand.... It's not culturally the done thing

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really liked this video

Think it would be a decent series, they do these in the nfl a lot in games etc

I'd be happy with just training etc

I think people need to look at how this video was edited before really taking the outcome of the open training session

Those that went seemed to enjoy it.

The media department makes some excellent content

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some very xenophobic comments about Bruno and a “language” barrier……

Morgan knew EXACTLY what was being said to him and even correctly knew what Bruno was going to say at one point! You can even see a massive smile on his face on a fair few occasions when Bruno was talking and it is clear he is getting the love and attention that he wants from Bruno that made him feel like wolves might not be the best place for him
Under Nuno.

The sessions look quick and fast and he is actively telling them off for playing the safe and simple pass instead of being progressive. That is music to my ears and shows he is really trying to change the conditioned behaviour of the players.

This video plus other “training day” videos are what gives me the reason to believe Bruno is a good coach and wants to play attacking footy but hasn’t been given the tools to
Do so.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could make out what he wanted the players to do. As the players are professionals and work with him every day I'm sure they did as well.

There are a few of videos on YouTube involving Lage and his coaching staff where they put on coaching demonstrations and drills for some Portuguese teams. Although they are speaking Portuguese you get the gist of what they are doing and there are diagrams showing what the drills are intended to do. They are probably better than the Wolves videos in one way as they are filmed to show the entire pitch so you can see the position of each player. I think they were filmed just before he got the Wolves job. Just search for 'dia de treino bruno lage' on YouTube and there should be about six episodes. You could turn on the automated translation, but it seems a bit hit and miss.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I could make out what he wanted the players to do....
me too.
Back, back, back, back.
When the ball goes out -"I'll throw it in behind" (the defense)

Yes its a snap shot in time . A snippet of training.
But I would have preferred forward, forward, forward. Tora, tora, tora! :)

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not so much the accent, more that he's struggling to find the words he wants to say. I worked out eventually that he wants players to get their heads up and look in front of them as opposed to playing the easy ball back or sideways, with Gibbs-White he's telling him he sees him as a player who is better inside than on the wing, but you can see from Morgan's face he's having to concentrate pretty hard to work out what Bruno's trying to say to him because he's struggling to convey the meaning of what he's clearly got going on in his head. He even resorts to Portuguese at one point because it isn't natural for him. Morgan is motivated and hungry for success so Bruno has his ear, but you can imagine there would have been some occasions where players are struggling with COVID or just mentally preoccupied due to the changing societal dynamics we have all experienced over the last few years, and wouldn't have been able to give the mental bandwidth required when you're moving from a manager who was safety first and favoured the safe pass to one telling the players not to do that.

It's unfair and lazy to bundle me in with those who are using it as a stick to beat the club with - that wasn't my intention at all. Managers come into the Premier League from abroad, and will find the language barrier difficult, whether it is Sarri, Big Phil Scolari, Bruno, Nuno, Conte or Wenger, it isn't natural for them to communicate in English, regardless of how proficient they are. I know that myself from speaking 4 languages and even using two of them day in day out professionally when I was younger - it isn't your mother tongue, and as such when you have limited pockets of time to get your point across, that can be a challenge. It doesn't mean it is an insurmountable barrier to success, it simply means they probably have to try a bit harder to ensure their point is understood, but where football makes it that bit harder, is you rarely see players asking the manager to repeat what they've said because they don't understand.... It's not culturally the done thing
Perhaps because you can speak other languages you're being over critical?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

This is why I’d rather the club did absolutely nothing media wise. The same old faces moan regardless.

Nothing from Shi then a video and it’s all “can’t be trusted, he’s a liar”

Nothing from Sellars then bizarre comments about how he’s dressed

Nothing from Lage and he’s likened to a village football coach who can’t speak English.

The sooner we return to being a mediocre championship team with British owners and a British coach to keep the unwashed happy the better.
Yep
"Communicate with us"
"No not like that"

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

To be fair most footballers are not particularly the sharpest tools in the box at the best of times.
On many key indicators that researchers use for intelligence (creativity, problem solving, pattern recognition) footballers rank in the top 2-5% of the population on average

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep
"Communicate with us"
"No not like that"
It baffles me, whether it’s Bruno, Shi, Sellars or the commercial team there’s no point as some have made their mind up. It’s “Fosun are bad” end of discussion.

Jeffs a better bloke than me, ld proper upset the cave dwellers and do an interview weekly saying all sorts just to wind them up “we’re moving to mars, that’s our growth strategy”

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On many key indicators that researchers use for intelligence (creativity, problem solving, pattern recognition) footballers rank in the top 2-5% of the population on average

That's interesting, would like to see more on it. Was it English footballers? Probably stereotyping, but European footballers in general do seem better educated than ours.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I found it Interesting the split between players he calls by their first name (Morgan, Jonny, Jose, Yerson, Leander) and those by their surname (Podence, Coady, Boly)

Back
Top Bottom