Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
As already suggested, if we get £20m+ for MGW, we could go for three or four bargain basement players, they are out there and probably in the English and Scottish leagues. Why not Lucas Joao from Reading (see you tube) better than Willian Jose?

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think we could generate the following transfer pot;

Adama £18m
MGW £23m (as reported)
Sanderson £4m

with a retained Profit of £20m that gives us £65m - but keeping Neves

£39m is roughly 45m euros which would be enough for Nunes, £6m (about 8m euros) for Seferovic, which leaves about £20m for a centre half - perhaps Collin's?

The team could look something like this;

Sa
Chiquinho, Kilman, Coady, Collins, Jonny
Neves, Nunes
Neto, Seferovic, Podence

Subs from
Jiminez
Moutinho (assuming he re-signs)
Semedo (when fit)
RAN
Sarkic
Fabio
Boly
Gomes
Mosquera
Dendoncker
Cundle
Hwang

Personally, I don't think that is too bad to be honest. I would prefer a better striker and not to have to play Chiquinho as a wing back but I think that is more than enough to stay up. A fit Neto and the quality of Nunes should be enough to score more goals you would hope.
You need to take about £3.7M off the fee for Traore for his current book value.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does it matter what pant wetting fans think? It would be pretty shocking if Wolves based their transfer strategy on appeasing some nervous fans.

And still, most PL clubs haven't made a signing yet.
True and true, but Shi must regret his promises when he started-new stadium, top 6 etc-and Lage must be told not to openly request new players before training starts, as that has added fuel to the fire for sure. I personally think what Fosun have done for us has been great so far, but this transfer window so far and lack of communication from the club have been very worrying. I wish they'd sacked Lage and done the necessary rebooting of the team.

Anyway, there's still time. The last 3 months of the season were painful though and the atmosphere next season will be toxic if things don't change.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuinely shocked at Bolla going back out on loan. Perhaps they think they can manage the first part of the season with just jonny and ait nouri and cross their fingers neither gets injured until semedo returns as theres no point in buying another wing back for 10m when there are other parts of the team in more need of replacement/new arrivals. Bolla was more than an ample understudy, why waste another 10m or so on someone who will be lucky to make it onto the bench when semedo returns in august.

Totally agree. They have now left us short at wing back when it didnt need to be the case. Very much hope neither Jonny or RAN pick up any knocks.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
P definitely going to Fulham & Botman to the Toon! Alex Crooks saying Wolves "are not cash rich" and seems to think we will struggle this market. Only the next few weeks will tell.....
Said numerous times, Wolves most likely do not have cash available to hand.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Psychologically Wolves have got this transfer window all wrong with so many departures and loans before anyone comes in, just makes everyone really nervous.
Absolutely, even the players will be mentally drained knowing a long season of burden is on them again. I don't why people seem rather complacent when we've seen this happen to numerous teams over the years, with a really prominent example of Burnley last season. Stagnation breeds contempt.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does it matter what pant wetting fans think? It would be pretty shocking if Wolves based their transfer strategy on appeasing some nervous fans.

And still, most PL clubs haven't made a signing yet.

I think you will find the majority of Premier League clubs have confirmed or announced signings. We are one of around 6 clubs who havent but most of those clubs dont only have two contracted senior central midfield players on the books.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PL Transfers

I'm not sure about that - have a look at this list of ins (and far more outs), and I think losing Ruddy, Saiss, Hoever & Marcal doesn't look particularly out of step with the average.
I think it is also fair to say that most teams season didn't crash as badly as ours did.

Might not like it or not but mentality to me plays a huge part of the game, the way Wolves' season fell apart and the relatively quick season restart means it was rather imperative that new blood was introduced to the game to galvanize the feeling around Molineux.

I'll put it one way, you've done an extremely long tiring project that has taken 9 months and only 4 of you worked on it, you're promised next year will be different and more help will become to ease the burden, the next year rolls around and you've got to do that same project again, only this time, there's' only 3 of you.

A lack of *any* transfer activity, to freshen up the camp is just a car crash waiting to happen.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
PL Transfers

I'm not sure about that - have a look at this list of ins (and far more outs), and I think losing Ruddy, Saiss, Hoever & Marcal doesn't look particularly out of step with the average.
But when we have a small squad anyway, taking regular starter like Saiss away and Marcal who when not injured was a squad regular away leaves us in a very vulnerable state, OK teams like Chelsea may have released a few and sold Rudiger and Manure might have released a few like Pogba, Cavani etc does it really weaken them like our releases have?

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Fosun own 25% of Cirque du Soleil. Maybe we could stick a trapeze artist on the left. I do know a Swans fan and he fairly ambivalent about this Downes lad leaving. Have seen very little of him, but by all accounts, he was one of the stand outs in a pretty cr@p season for them.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are the Players back today ??

Normally we get some sort of 10 sec video welcoming back to training with players arriving at Compton ????

Sorry I see a big royal Caribbean advertising thing on the official page …. Typical !!

AntonusKlesk

Groupie
Reaction score
Are the Players back today ??

Normally we get some sort of 10 sec video welcoming back to training with players arriving at Compton ????

Sorry I see a big royal Caribbean advertising thing on the official page …. Typical !!
Normally mid-afternoon or so when they upload those. Later if they're editing together something a little more involved.

Bit surprised not to see random images added to Twitter through the morning though.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we get a player from atletico on loan to buy in exchange for semedo ..... kondogbia or Hermosa.....but it's probably just rumour waffle on semedo anyway ...

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Genuinely shocked at Bolla going back out on loan. Perhaps they think they can manage the first part of the season with just jonny and ait nouri and cross their fingers neither gets injured until semedo returns as theres no point in buying another wing back for 10m when there are other parts of the team in more need of replacement/new arrivals. Bolla was more than an ample understudy, why waste another 10m or so on someone who will be lucky to make it onto the bench when semedo returns in august.
Your last sentence answers your own question really. It would be a backward step for Bolla to be a backup with little chance of playing time, when Semedo returns. We have some competent U23's and there is apparently a desire to see how Chiquiniio would play in wing-back position. Always the option of bringing back Bolla, or Giles in January I would guess?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Bolla move is a poor one and it highlights the disadvantages of working with Grasshoppers.

By all accounts he did well for them last season so if he’s not coming back here, why isn’t he going somewhere else?

A bottom half side in the Swiss league is really the best thing for his development? I highly doubt it. Surely we could’ve got him a Championship club or elsewhere abroad.

We don’t seem to have acted in his best interests here or tried to make him better as a player.

I understand it with players like Bonatini and maybe even Kawebe as they’ll never play for us but I thought Bolla was meant to be good, in which case he should’ve been making a step up.

Not so sure about this.

As far as quality of leagues go, ranked by their overall strength, the Swiss League is 15th in the World. The Championship is 11th. The Scottish Prem is 19th. So the Swiss league falls somewhere in between both and isn't that far behind the Championship. Premier League is 1st and League One is 30th for reference.

He is settled, playing well in almost every game at Grasshoppers, in a league a little behind the Championship, but way ahead of League One.

So do you pull him out of that and send him somewhere that he might not play, or have to start all over again to break into the first team? Similar to the mistake of pulling Giles from Cardiff and sending him to Blackburn.

Or do you keep him at a slightly lower level, knowing he will be happy, settled and a key player that will play every game?

As with any loan, it's playing time and experience that trumps all else.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Club doing overload on PR for merch. 3 day in a row with posts adverts for training gear and now the latest one in a style not unlike the revelation of a signing:
https://t.co/wCAmShzNfz

Now I perfectly understand the need for PR but with a threadbare squad it really gets to have the opposite effect.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not chiquino as a rwb? He was one of the few players to come out with any credit when he did that in the city game.
He was further forward than Raul at one point!
Agree.

He came out with credit because he had a go and would attack and beat Zinchenko when he had the ball.

Defensively it was awful though. Didn’t know where to be, when to press.

Not on his own that night and certainly not a criticism of him as it’s not his position but I wouldn’t want him starting games at RWB.
Absolutely right.
Totally agree. They have now left us short at wing back when it didnt need to be the case. Very much hope neither Jonny or RAN pick up any knocks.
Probably indicates incomings. Criticisms like this are only valid when we start the season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure about this.

As far as quality of leagues go, ranked by their overall strength, the Swiss League is 15th in the World. The Championship is 11th. The Scottish Prem is 19th. So the Swiss league falls somewhere in between both and isn't that far behind the Championship. Premier League is 1st and League One is 30th for reference.

He is settled, playing well in almost every game at Grasshoppers, in a league a little behind the Championship, but way ahead of League One.

So do you pull him out of that and send him somewhere that he might not play, or have to start all over again to break into the first team? Similar to the mistake of pulling Giles from Cardiff and sending him to Blackburn.

Or do you keep him at a slightly lower level, knowing he will be happy, settled and a key player that will play every game?

As with any loan, it's playing time and experience that trumps all else.
I agree playing time is the most important thing.

However, whilst the Swiss league is decent, they're one of the worst teams in that league, so if he was at Celtic or Rangers, for example based on the above, I think that would be better than Grasshoppers.

I don't watch Grasshoppers so can't comment but the reports are that he's done well, so he should be making that next step up. Obviously you would send him somewhere he plays, but if he's a good player then there will be options.

If we had zero connections with Grasshoppers would you want a highly-rated player to be going there? I wouldn't.

Of course, Bolla may not be up to it at all and is overrated - I genuinely don't know. But if he's someone we see as a potential first-team squad player I'd rather he was tested at a better level than a side that just avoided relegation to the Swiss second division.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only way I can see the club going for a loan to buy with Atletico for Nelson Semedo is if we get a loan to buy in return for a player of equal value for example Kondogbia (they want Witsel potentially his replacement?)

Would explain the Connor Roberts link from Burnley to come in as back up to Jonny at RB/RWB as well.

Flynn Downes is actually quite a good DM can fill in at CB if necessary, he gives me barcelona under pep vibes as he comes and demands the ball off his defenders and keeps the ball moving quick whilst being comfortable under pressure to move past or avoid opposition players. He has a video on youtube vs Saints in the cup for those that haven't seen him shows what he is about. Would be good back up DM if we were looking to move to a 433.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course, Bolla may not be up to it at all and is overrated - I genuinely don't know.

I have a feeling this could be part of it.

By all accounts he has had a very good season in Switzerland. But so did Kawebe and Christian Herc, yet both probably couldn't play in the Premier League. He's certainly no further ahead of Giles, who has been sent back out on loan.

I was hoping to see him play for Hungary the other week, but like Coady he didn't get a minute.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree playing time is the most important thing.

However, whilst the Swiss league is decent, they're one of the worst teams in that league, so if he was at Celtic or Rangers, for example based on the above, I think that would be better than Grasshoppers.

I don't watch Grasshoppers so can't comment but the reports are that he's done well, so he should be making that next step up. Obviously you would send him somewhere he plays, but if he's a good player then there will be options.

If we had zero connections with Grasshoppers would you want a highly-rated player to be going there? I wouldn't.

Of course, Bolla may not be up to it at all and is overrated - I genuinely don't know. But if he's someone we see as a potential first-team squad player I'd rather he was tested at a better level than a side that just avoided relegation to the Swiss second division.
If they are a feeder club for us(which they pretty much are) surely we want to build them up into a side that are topping the Swiss leagues? Not unlike what Red bull did with Salzburg. The better our feeder club do, the better the experience is for the players going there.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that. Imagine if we lost the colours and name
The other elephant in the room is that as the focus is on the brand? What will they sell, the football club and the brand or just the football club? Minus the brand.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trying to sign a striker and midfielder from Sporting.....the club we're lined up to play in our friendly. Coincidence, Mendes family Derby match or something in it?

Back
Top Bottom