Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You ask a very valid and timely question……

why do some fans criticize the club if transfers don’t work out?
Today we want instant top quality Premiership footballers who can bring success. There is no real time to develop younger talent. As we've seen here, some of our fans haven't finished eating their Mars bar before they want another one.

Success in football is fleeting and soon forgotten. Today's hero soon becomes the villain. With managers or coaches they get fired, players get moved on. That's why loyalty to a club is a rare thing.

Some of the talented players we signed and binned would work out given time but that's simply not how it works in the top end of English football.

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme....

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's always been £24m, never £18m. In fact on Transfermarkt (which is usually reliable for factual things such as transfer costs), they have Neto at €17.9m and Jordao at €8.9m. Or just check out Bill McCai's post which has a link to them costing a combined €27.5m

So whatever you saw wasn't widely reported at all
If you were to undertake research you would find that a number of sites reported what I say.
I realise you like the last word hiwever
It's always been £24m, never £18m. In fact on Transfermarkt (which is usually reliable for factual things such as transfer costs), they have Neto at €17.9m and Jordao at €8.9m. Or just check out Bill McCai's post which has a link to them costing a combined €27.5m

So whatever you saw wasn't widely reported at all
If you were to undertake proper research you would find many sites quoting what I said.
I realise however that, as usual, you have to have the last word.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We were linked with someone the other day. You know, 'hold an interest...'
Some Brazilian CH - 18, really good prospect.
Roman something? Ronan? Vaguely English sounding name
Couldn't even be ***** to watch his YouTube highlights 'cos I know he'll go somewhere else
That's what Shi and Sellars have done to me this window
Buy some training kit? You must be ****ing joking
And I suspect 80% of Mixers feel the same way...

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today we want instant top quality Premiership footballers who can bring success. There is no real time to develop younger talent. As we've seen here, some of our fans haven't finished eating their Mars bar before they want another one.

Success in football is fleeting and soon forgotten. Today's hero soon becomes the villain. With managers or coaches they get fired, players get moved on. That's why loyalty to a club is a rare thing.

Some of the talented players we signed and binned would work out given time but that's simply not how it works in the top end of English football.

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme....

Good post and you are right.

But we haven't signed a first team CB or CM in 4 years. That totally justifies fans impatience in my opinion.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you were to undertake research you would find that a number of sites reported what I say.
I realise you like the last word hiwever
If you were to undertake proper research you would find many sites quoting what I said.
I realise however that, as usual, you have to have the last word.

You've not put up any site that said it, I've given you a site backing me up, Bill McCai has posted a link which backs it up, they were around £24m the pair. They went to Lazio for over €20m and Lazio sold them to us at a profit

Why not show your irrefutable proof??

R

reanswolf

I don't want Fosun to go, but I just want to have a little faith in their strategic abilities. I'm not sure any of them have that, based on the last few years.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Neves doesn't leave , would selling Gibbs to bring in Nunes be such a bad idea.....with Jorge possibly bringing in another attacker on loan for instance.....nothing against Gibbs and ideally would like him to stay , but we haven't got much money have we ...

No wim skint...Jeff Shi was sin outside Mad O'roukes on friday,waiting to see if there was any free cows in blankets gewin.All he got was some crumbs from the the HEN PECKED pie.He said....That's just how I feel. :confused:

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nothing new here;

The Portuguese midfielder is a priority target for the "wolves", but he prefers to head to a club with greater ambitions.

Even though they are very committed to taking Matheus Nunes to Molineux, Wolverhampton face an almost insurmountable mountain to complete the transfer and strengthen the squad that will be under Bruno Lage in 2022/23. In addition to convincing Sporting to lower the financial requirements that point to the value of the termination clause (60 million euros), the "wolves" also have to move the 23-year-old midfielder from the expectations he has for the next steps of career: continuing to fight for the conquest of titles is a priority for the Portuguese international, something that is very unlikely in the English club.

It is no surprise that Matheus Nunes is being one of the most popular names in the closed season. The last two seasons have catapulted the Brazilian-born footballer to levels that are within the reach of few, accumulating curious people across Europe. Even Pep Guardiola lavished praise on him, thus making Manchester City a possible destination. For now, however, the clubs most interested in the midfielder play in a more modest league, something that does not go against the plans that the player, trained at Ericeirense, has for the next steps in his career.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme....

And some players never work out given all the time in the world. The problem is identifying which is which, without being psychic. Plenty who looked potential world beaters at 20, fade without trace. And plenty who are superstars at 28 showed no sign of it at 22. It's virtually random, though hindsight and goldfish memory may trick people into thinking they know best.

Also, if you are in the Premier League, how can you survive in it if you don't have top quality Premiership footballers? That's the "Norwich, Watford and Sheff Utd" model, isn't it? Not sure blaming the fans for having high expectations, after Fosun spent years whipping those expectations up to fever pitch, is fair on the fans. And we don't want absurd dominance either.

All we ask is one or two top quality Premiership level footballers this window - to ensure the comfortable survival of a team that collapsed in the last 15 matches. Not to greedily add even more bench warmers to a side that already dominates (the Man City model).

And if there is no time to develop younger talent, how come there are so many talented 25+ players around? How did they develop if all us fans are so impatient it's impossible? Player skill level is higher than it was 30 years ago.

Some of the players we didn't bin soon enough. If you are worried about players turning good later, you'd end up with an absurd policy of "never ever sell anyone just in case they turn out good". And "never ever drop a poorly performing player because he might turn good in a few hundred matches".

How it works at the top end of English football is virtually irrelevant to the non-big 6 clubs. They can easily afford to speculate on a Fabio every season. Or any player, really. They can afford £30M bench warmers and squad players. The rest can't. We have to sell players to get others in the hope of improving the team. Or change as little as possible - which seems our policy the past 2 years and also at the moment.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
R

reanswolf

Becoming more obvious to me that we have next to no chance of signing this guy and who could blame him for not wanting to come. The ambition at the club has gone.
If he signs I will apologise but I reckon I will be right.
It increasingly looks like a ruse to mask the fact that they are not seriously looking for anyone which involves spending money.
We will never get this player yet they can say they tried.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The Portuguese international was also in the colchoneros plans in the summer of 2019.

With the zero-cost signing of Axel Witsel practically closed, Atlético de Madrid turned its attention to the right wing of the defense and, according to the newspaper Marca, there are two options on the table: Emerson Royal, from Tottenham, and Nélson Semedo, Portuguese international of Wolves.

The colchoneros haven't had an undisputed right-back for Diego Simeone since Kieran Trippier left for Premier League side Newcastle in January, and since Daniel Wass is only seen as a fallback option, they're looking for a name that will please. to the technician.

This is how the names of Emerson and Nélson Semedo come about. The 24-year-old Brazilian winger is likely to be the most expensive option, given that he joined Tottenham last summer from Barcelona for €25m and has been used regularly by Spurs this season.

Semedo, on the other hand, is back on the colchonero radar, after Diego Simeone was also interested in the Portuguese international in the summer of 2019, which preceded his third and final season with Barcelona.

The 28-year-old side was also a recurring option for Bruno Lage in 2021/22, but he has only one more year on his contract with Wolves, so it should not involve values as high as Emerson, in addition to the fact that he is managed by Jorge Mendes, who has a good connection with Atlético

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Atletico after Semedo and we're after Connor Roberts.

Lol

If we really do 'need' to sell before buying (as ludicrous as that sounds being a PL club who pocket 100+ million every year in TV rights alone )...

Then Semedo is probably the most replaceable and would still fetch a decent transfer fee. Perhaps more so now than ever.

He's a good player but there are an abundance of talented RB's out there who wouldn't cost the earth.

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Becoming more obvious to me that we have next to no chance of signing this guy and who could blame him for not wanting to come. The ambition at the club has gone.

We are trying to sign someone you believe has no chance of agreeing to join us. In what way is that a lack of ambition?

We are working on lots of deals that have a less than 50% chance of success... probably even a less than 10% chance of success. But they are the players that improve us. And we have to accept that most won't come off.

Neves was the same. We got him, and we will get another "out of our league signing" using the same methods.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We never had any chance of signing him.

And even if he jumped at the chance, which he didn’t and never did, would wr have the money, ambition, foresight or willing to wrap it up and actually sign him.

#no #nochance

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Atletico after Semedo and we're after Connor Roberts.

Lol

Sell Semedo for around £25m, get Roberts for the rumoured £6m or so as a backup for first choice RWB Jonny and we've got some dough spend elsewhere. Seems good business to me, Semedo is 28 so he's not going to increase in value.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see Semedo to Atletico being a thing as we would want to save face and hold out for more than the 18m ish there likely to be willing to pay.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd sell Semedo without hesitation if we could get £20-25m.

He's a good player but the reality is right-backs are easy to find. If we did buy Roberts, we probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Semedo is obviously a better player than Roberts but the latter could do a job.

If it's Roberts & £15-20m to put towards a defender/midfielder OR Semedo, I definitely sell Semedo.

It doesn't have to be Roberts either, I'm sure you could find a lot of good right-backs in the £5-10m range.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To back the above point up - Sky Sports are saying Atletico are looking at Celtic's Josip Juranovic (so they clearly want a right-back).

He cost Celtic £2.5m from Legia Warsaw and was already a Croatian international when he signed. Probs get at least £15m for him now.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You do realize that nobody knew how good the new players would be?
Its a lousy thing to condemn the Wolves mgt. for transfers in hindsight……..they didn’t have that luxury when they signed some players.
All transfers are a gamble.
They are but you can mitigate a lot of the gamble. An extreme example is Nuno wanted Ruben Dias, we loaned Jesus Vallejo. Now we couldn't get Dias because of FFP but we could have done more than loan a Spanish U21 in the hope that he became a star for us. That can be levelled at the recruitment team. One which can't is Willian Jose. We were desperate for a striker and I'm pretty sure most of us who saw the videos of him thought he was exactly what we needed, but it's arguable that his biggest contribution was he gave Silva a break (and his header off the line at Chelsea!). That's just one of those signings that doesn't work out

As I've said earlier in the thread though, we've got a pretty good hit rate when you look at it so you'd have to say overall the recruitment team are doing a good job. Could do with addressing a couple of key areas this summer though, if we don't strengthen central defence and midfield then there will be a lot of angry people! And signings for the future are not what's needed in those areas

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Roberts isn't a bad player and a decent back up to Jonny. Cheap too
Seen a lot of him playing for Wales. Never thought "oo, I'd love to see him at Wolves." But to use that most useless of office jargon, 'we are, where we are.'

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Buy to sell is a very good model and has been used for years by the 3 big Portuguese clubs and Dortmund successfully.

The reasons those clubs are so successful at it is they have excellent backroom staff and contacts who identify and target the next crop of young quality players with a high resale value and are renowned for developing those players and not standing in their way when the big boys come calling.

We don't have either of that and appear to be going backwards. I completely understand the need to be self sufficient but we desperately need a good couple of transfer window's to get the buzz back. The saying "speculate to accumulate" is very apt here and an investment company should have no problem realising it imo

Back
Top Bottom