Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

MISSED OPPORTUNITIES (Transfer discussions)

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems to me that Shi and Sellars must realise that the fans are frustrated and need appeasing.
Perhaps a simple statement to the effect that we are working on targets and expect announcements soon.
Maybe that would be considered more of the usual bull****.
Im still of the mindset that nothing will happen till this time next week
Im hoping at least 2 quality players rock up soon after,but yeah a simple statement of intent would help matters no doubt

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having the attraction of European football in Summer 2019 & only using it to get Cutrone & an on-loan Vallejo has to be up there as one of the biggest missed opportunities for me.

This was when I started to really question where we were going. Something didn't smell right at all - we'd just made Europe, I really expected us to go for it that summer, but we didn't. They seemed so preoccupied and obsessed with the China tour that summer (unsurprisingly, the brand on a global stage back home etc etc) that this was when the neglection of the first team started IMO. Nuno constantly asked for signings and the club to go hard in the market etc and instead ended up with two flops. How, off the back of such an amazing season - in Europe, an FA Cup semi final, do you NOT attempt to really kick on and go again? Nuno wanted Dias (I know for a fact we had the opportunity to sign him at the time), Kessie and Tammy Abraham, but he got Vallejo and Cutrone :tearsofjoy: yes the subsequent season was a success, but we didn't build on it and went backwards big time.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody on here has a clue what opportunities we have missed.

Most links we read about in the paper are an agents way of raising interest in their player. We probably got linked with Enzo to force his deal with Benfica over the line.

People on here seem to fall for it every time, then use it as a stick to beat the club with when it doesn’t come off.

It’s not often we get wind of a wolves transfer until it’s pretty much a done deal.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I think fosun are spoofers and need to be shipped out L. No interest in football side and are leaching off the brand . Self sustained bull **** when we haven’t seen any extra revenue streams they have sprouted on about for the last few years. Got rid of Laurie and Kevin and we’ve been **** ever since
Who do you propose takes over?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Assuming Britney's source was accurate, then Ruben Dias is the ultimate missed opportunity. He is now one of the best centre halfs in world football, and undoubtedly would have catapulted us into serious Champions League contention. We could've triggered his £57m release clause, but tried to lowball it as usual and missed out. We of course went on to sign Silva and Semedo for £70m the following season, while Dias headed to City.
We would have spent nearly the most in the league if we'd have spent £57M on Dias that year.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was when I started to really question where we were going. Something didn't smell right at all - we'd just made Europe, I really expected us to go for it that summer, but we didn't. They seemed so preoccupied and obsessed with the China tour that summer (unsurprisingly, the brand on a global stage back home etc etc) that this was when the neglection of the first team started IMO. Nuno constantly asked for signings and the club to go hard in the market etc and instead ended up with two flops. How, off the back of such an amazing season - in Europe, an FA Cup semi final, do you NOT attempt to really kick on and go again? Nuno wanted Dias (I know for a fact we had the opportunity to sign him at the time), Kessie and Tammy Abraham, but he got Vallejo and Cutrone :tearsofjoy: yes the subsequent season was a success, but we didn't build on it and went backwards big time.
I suspect that the club knew that they were in UEFA FFP trouble.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We would have spent nearly the most in the league if we'd have spent £57M on Dias that year.
Naturally, signing him that year would've required us to reassess other signings that year and the next, and perhaps accelerated sales, but it would have been worth it. We found a way to splurge £74m on Fabio, Semedo and Hoever the following season, while under UEFA sanctions.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody on here has a clue what opportunities we have missed.

Most links we read about in the paper are an agents way of raising interest in their player. We probably got linked with Enzo to force his deal with Benfica over the line.

People on here seem to fall for it every time, then use it as a stick to beat the club with when it doesn’t come off.

It’s not often we get wind of a wolves transfer until it’s pretty much a done deal.
Absolutely this !

There are a fair few posters that take everything "quoted" as absolute gospel.

Unfortunately many crave information, or even demand it. And God forbid it is a negative..... they get consumed by it.
If it happens,it happens.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Naturally, signing him that year would've required us to reassess other signings that year and the next, and perhaps accelerated sales, but it would have been worth it. We found a way to splurge £74m on Fabio, Semedo and Hoever the following season, while under UEFA sanctions.
So no Raul then? That's because we sold Jota and Costa for nearly the same fee

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So no Raul then? That's because we sold Jota and Costa for nearly the same fee
We sold those two the season after signing Raul. If that is to say we must make amends for a marquee fee later, we could have simply not signed Fabio, Semedo and Hoever, and spent £17m less in total. Say no to the waster Cutrone at the time, that's another £16m in savings. Jordao has barely featured; he cost £8m. Obviously there is a degree of hindsight involved, but we have squandered serious cash on duds in recent seasons.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We sold those two the season after signing Raul. If that is to say we must make amends for a marquee fee later, we could have simply not signed Fabio, Semedo and Hoever, and spent £17m less in total. Say no to the waster Cutrone at the time, that's another £16m in savings. Jordao has barely featured; he cost £8m. Obviously there is a degree of hindsight involved, but we have squandered serious cash on duds in recent seasons.
Semedo was one of our best players last season before he got injured.

We signed Jordao and Neto as part of the same deal - it's disingenuous to focus on one of the two when we likely wouldn't have got the other if we hadn't done that deal - Jordao has been unlucky on the injury front.

The Fabio discussion has been done to death - l'm not about to try arguing with someone moaning about a player who is under 20 and still shows great potential.

Hoever may come good - let's see how the loan to Ajax goes.

Cutrone? Well, what can l say......

I can though say that trying to be clever supposedly using hindsight isn't such a wonderful thing.....

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo was one of our best players last season before he got injured. We signed Jordao and Neto as part of the same deal - it's disingenuous to focus on one of the two when we likely wouldn't have got the other if we hadn't done that deal - Jordao has been unlucky on the injury front. The Fabio discussion has been done to death - l'm not about to try arguing with someone moaning about a player who is under 20 and still shows great potential. Hoever may come good - let's see how the loan to Ajax goes. Cutrone? Well, what can l say......
I can though say that trying to be clever supposedly using hindsight isn't such a wonderful thing.....

I don’t think anyone is doubting how good Semedo was - more the fact that rwb wasn’t really a key priority and the money could have been better spent

Likewise everyone probably thinks Fabio is a talent - who was probably worth 1-2 million, not 35 million

Rabid Wolf

Reaction score
Semedo was one of our best players last season before he got injured.

We signed Jordao and Neto as part of the same deal - it's disingenuous to focus on one of the two when we likely wouldn't have got the other if we hadn't done that deal - Jordao has been unlucky on the injury front.

The Fabio discussion has been done to death - l'm not about to try arguing with someone moaning about a player who is under 20 and still shows great potential.

Hoever may come good - let's see how the loan to Ajax goes.

Cutrone? Well, what can l say......

Thought it was PSV he gone to?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo was one of our best players last season before he got injured. We signed Jordao and Neto as part of the same deal - it's disingenuous to focus on one of the two when we likely wouldn't have got the other if we hadn't done that deal - Jordao has been unlucky on the injury front. The Fabio discussion has been done to death - l'm not about to try arguing with someone moaning about a player who is under 20 and still shows great potential. Hoever may come good - let's see how the loan to Ajax goes. Cutrone? Well, what can l say......

Hindsight is rather the premise of the thread. The impact of not taking an opportunity can only be known after the fact ;)

-Semedo is one of our most improved players, but Doherty is still the better wingback with a far better output in the final third. Spurs fans came to accept him as one of their more important players before his season was curtailed.
-We signed Neto and Jordao as a duo, but can anyone confirm this was by necessity?
-You certainly are entitled to your views on Fabio, but the lad has indubitably stagnated / regressed this season. We were getting our socks knocked off by Neves, Jota and Neto at the same age. He might come good on a longer timescale, but considering how precious our funds apparently are, was it a wise transfer?
-The E&S's sources said the club would be happy to sell Hoever. It seems like a long way back for him with Wolves.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is rather the premise of the thread. The impact of not taking an opportunity can only be known after the fact ;)

-Semedo is one of our most improved players, but Doherty is still the better wingback with a far better output in the final third. Spurs fans came to accept him as one of their more important players before his season was curtailed.
-We signed Neto and Jordao as a duo, but can anyone confirm this was by necessity?
-You certainly are entitled to your views on Fabio, but the lad has indubitably stagnated / regressed this season. We were getting our socks knocked off by Neves, Jota and Neto at the same age. He might come good on a longer timescale, but considering how precious our funds apparently are, was it a wise transfer?
-The E&S's sources said the club would be happy to sell Hoever. It seems like a long way back for him with Wolves.
While l don't wholly agree those are legitimate views. The sort of thing to discuss over a beer, lol.

Kennedy

Reaction score
Absolutely this !

There are a fair few posters that take everything "quoted" as absolute gospel.

Unfortunately many crave information, or even demand it. And God forbid it is a negative..... they get consumed by it.
If it happens,it happens.
That's all true and well said but doesn't change the fact that the last few windows have been underwhelming.

The buy to sell, self sufficient model is perfectly rational. We are a business and have to make a profit as such. Other clubs do this, Liverpool to great effect, for one.

I think it sticks in the throat that Shi presented us as being a vanity project initially, like City or PSG. Really he should have said Southampton...

The world changed, FOSUN changed. I still think they are shrewd and I don't buy the relegation talk, we have too many good players..

I think they would spend big if they saw an opportunity to sell big later, i.e Silva, but they are not going to lose hundreds of millions every window nor are they going to throw money around in a panic.

So, they are not the sugar daddy we all want but I tell ya, I wouldn't want to go back to Morgan.

Anyway, players we missed out on:

Peter Cech I seem to recall, was once a possibility.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The year we were in for Dias was the year we paid for Raul, Donk, Jonny and Neto for over £70M (Jonny deal was agreed in Jan but paid for that summer).

Back
Top Bottom