Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The happy days are here again, hopefully no more repeated arguments, transfer thread

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
100%

The frightening thing is again 0 due diligence with agents to suss out who wants to come here or not before the summer.

Club are amateurish and an embarrassment when it comes to recruitment
Based on 140 character tweets and click bait sites we are amateurish and an embarrassment? We are often linked to players who we have absolutely no interest in, I think Jeff has confirmed this previously. So because an agent or click bait site says we’re interested and we we don’t sign them because we’re not it makes us look bad.

With regard to Fernandez I am sure we knew the situation but also knew there was a chance and so we gambled. It didn’t pay off, it happens. I am sure someone was criticising us for sending our head of recruitment rather than a club legend like Benfica did. I am fairly confident that we do not have the same stature of club legends who will be known to a 21 year Argentinian. Not sure Billy would quite cut it. The other thing people forget is that Hobbs might actually have several targets/meetings lined up and Fernandez was just an opportune gamble whilst he was in country. Those who have done business abroad will recognise this.

I am sure we will be linked to other players that won’t come off. In fact every club is linked with players who go somewhere else or don’t leave their selling club for a wide variety of reasons. Like buying a house, car or any item from an auction you’re likely to face competition for what you want unless you’re buying rubbish. Sometimes people will pay more than you are willing to on these items.

Fans have long memories for negative news and short memories for positive news about Wolves. People continually bang on about Botman and Sanches and our ‘failure’ there but as far as I can see Lille have played silly buggers with all of the potential suitors, we were just the first. Not surprisingly we haven’t been back there. Up until 2017 we were of absolutely no interest to the rumour mongers on Twitter and click bait sites. We were linked to bang average championship players at best and we faced little competition from anyone for the players we wanted to sign because we were a bang average championship club, with an average squad and very average owners. The thought of even being linked to a £40m player would 5 years ago have seemed ludicrous considering the clubs turnover in 2016/17 was £23.6m.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A question: what the hell do the players - the few we have left - make of all this? Two or three of them went public last season with the need for reinforcements and like us the players must be wondering what's happening.
Ditto the manager. Whatever your feelings on Bruno, he's been screwed by Shi and Sellars. I have a nightmare scenario where Bruno isn't backed, is inevitably sacked and I see a grinning Shi next to the new man saying, "Sean Dyche is a manager we've always admired..."

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on 140 character tweets and click bait sites we are amateurish and an embarrassment? We are often linked to players who we have absolutely no interest in, I think Jeff has confirmed this previously. So because an agent or click bait site says we’re interested and we we don’t sign them because we’re not it makes us look bad.

With regard to Fernandez I am sure we knew the situation but also knew there was a chance and so we gambled. It didn’t pay off, it happens. I am sure someone was criticising us for sending our head of recruitment rather than a club legend like Benfica did. I am fairly confident that we do not have the same stature of club legends who will be known to a 21 year Argentinian. Not sure Billy would quite cut it. The other thing people forget is that Hobbs might actually have several targets/meetings lined up and Fernandez was just an opportune gamble whilst he was in country. Those who have done business abroad will recognise this.

I am sure we will be linked to other players that won’t come off. In fact every club is linked with players who go somewhere else or don’t leave their selling club for a wide variety of reasons. Like buying a house, car or any item from an auction you’re likely to face competition for what you want unless you’re buying rubbish. Sometimes people will pay more than you are willing to on these items.

Fans have long memories for negative news and short memories for positive news about Wolves. People continually bang on about Botman and Sanches and our ‘failure’ there but as far as I can see Lille have played silly buggers with all of the potential suitors, we were just the first. Not surprisingly we haven’t been back there. Up until 2017 we were of absolutely no interest to the rumour mongers on Twitter and click bait sites. We were linked to bang average championship players at best and we faced little competition from anyone for the players we wanted to sign because we were a bang average championship club, with an average squad and very average owners. The thought of even being linked to a £40m player would 5 years ago have seemed ludicrous considering the clubs turnover in 2016/17 was £23.6m.
I respect your view but we’ve had 3 years of the same **** “we tried” and have done nothing and are in relegation territory for the season as it stands

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respect your view but we’ve had 3 years of the same **** “we tried” and have done nothing and are in relegation territory for the season as it stands
We've had 3 years of posters (including me) saying we are in relegation territory and never been within 15 points of the bottom 3 BUT I DIGRESS! (sorry mods!)

@Leigh72 Don't disagree we need goals. We definitely do. But we just aren't going to go down with this current crop of players. They've been nowhere near a relegation scrap yet and, in all likelihood, they won't be next season. They're too good. Do we need a revamp? Absolutely. We will eventually go down if the long term aim is to bob above water, but we would have to have one of the all time bad seasons to go down.

ANYWAY! Any new news on Nunes or just that french twitterer?
Has Steve Madeley broke the news that Dias to Man City is a done deal yet?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont get the point in loaning giles out again. Surely now was the time to cash in. Hes unlikely to ever get near our first team. Now was the time to get a few mil for him.
How many loans does a player need before a decision is made about their long term career?

Giles is 22 and is spending next season on loan with Middlesbrough. That will be his sIxth club (seventh including us) after Shrewsbury, Coventry, Rotherham, Cardiff and Blackburn.

Bruno has apparently said he likes Giles and was considering him for the first team squad. The players haven’t even returned for pre season training so Bruno can have a look at him, but we send him out on loan!!!

Agree with you Halesowen. Cash in and get some money in for a massive transfer spree (I joke). :)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know what I mean there are no goals in this team, you Bury your head all you want
If nothing has changed when the window closes l imagine that many, including me, will have a different view than we do currently. If people say that we are not top player's first choice you have to accept, unless we sign any old dross, that means that we may have to wait to finalise deals.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a happy clapper most of the time and you're right, I am getting ****ed off. I'm more worried that we are going to go into the season no better off than at the end of last season

I was a full on happy clapper until the end of last summer, and that change of heart, was reinforced by the January window. It’s starting to feel like Newcastle under Ashley.

haveaniceday

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm a happy clapper most of the time and you're right, I am getting ****ed off. I'm more worried that we are going to go into the season no better off than at the end of last season
I had a season ticket for about 9 years and since packing it in have attended 8-10 games a season religiously. Last season was the first season I can remember where i didnt have a season ticket or membership, simply because I didn’t want to give Fosun any money. I only attended two games as the noises from the board and direction left me feeling very uncertain about the direction and plans going forward.

This season I was desperate for things to be a bit more positive so I could get back involved but currently I feel less engaged by the club than ever and absolutely clueless as to what their plans are. It feels like theyll milk Wolves as a brand and try to spend the bare minimum to keep us up. Sadly I don’t think they have a clue what theyre doing so it aint gonna pay off.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John Ruddy, Marcal and Saiss have kept us up single handedly for 4 seasons
Jose Sa kept us up, well away from a relegation battle, single-handedly.

We could be in a relegation battle next season because the first thing we need to acknowledge is that 10th was a hugely false position.

Had we finished where the stats say we should, the xG table had us 17th, then everyone would recognise that relegation is a possibility. Even if we don't apply xG strictly, which is fair enough, I get it has flaws, we still should have been in the mix of the Southampton, Brentford's, Everton's etc. all of who I presume we think could go down next season?

Of course, Jose Sa could once again be the best keeper in the league by a mile, in which case we might come 10th again.

I don't want to be banking on him having to be that good again though, history suggests he won't be able to do it again.

Getting it back on track to transfers so the mods don't go mad :D I hope our recruitment team are thinking negatively and that we need to act, rather than having a complacent attitude and that we came 10th last season so we'll be fine next season.

The early signs are not positive on this front.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just reading about Giles.

I watched him a lot last season and I don't think he's good enough for where we are. Perhaps he does a MGW and has a storming season and makes me eat my words, but I think we should be looking to offload on a perm. Our full back options + Bueno + Bolla as young alternatives suggest we are well stocked in this position. We could probably get a good few million for him, which I feel would be a good deal

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How many loans does a player need before a decision is made about their long term career?

Giles is 22 and is spending next season on loan with Middlesbrough. That will be his sIxth club (seventh including us) after Shrewsbury, Coventry, Rotherham, Cardiff and Blackburn.

Bruno has apparently said he likes Giles and was considering him for the first team squad. The players haven’t even returned for pre season training so Bruno can have a look at him, but we send him out on loan!!!

Agree with you Halesowen. Cash in and get some money in for a massive transfer spree (I joke). :)
Few mil is a few mil, ironically the amount we lost by not beating norwich. But still, if we are to have any transfer kitty the likes of giles and sanderson needed to have been sold.

T

TheConcourse

If nothing has changed when the window closes l imagine that many, including me, will have a different view than we do currently. If people say that we are not top player's first choice you have to accept, unless we sign any old dross, that means that we may have to wait to finalise deals.
Interesting one isn’t it?

My feeling at the moment is one of concern. Only because I felt we were 3 players short last season - without outgoings.

It feels like a grind for the club to get any deal over the line at the moment. Not just one, but any.

Preface all of that with BS Twitter rumours. But yeah, either way, I thought we’d be a lot more active in response to the dismal decline in performances and appalling last two summer windows.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

I was a full on happy clapper until the end of last summer, and that change of heart, was reinforced by the January window. It’s starting to feel like Newcastle under Ashley.
Did you know over Mike Ashley’s reign he spent an average of about £45m a season on players coming into the club. (I think that’s correct anyway)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I watched him a lot last season and I don't think he's good enough for where we are. Perhaps he does a MGW and has a storming season and makes me eat my words, but I think we should be looking to offload on a perm. Our full back options + Bueno + Bolla as young alternatives suggest we are well stocked in this position. We could probably get a good few million for him, which I feel would be a good deal

If so, a loan to Boro is probably decent business. They are preparing for a proper push on promotion next season so it could add a lot of value to him if he plays a good part of it.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you know over Mike Ashley’s reign he spent an average of about £45m a season on players coming into the club.

So I’m being generous! ;)

I guess Toon fans felt they were treading water and inching ever closer to the waterfall that is relegation to the Champ. I can’t help but think that’s a lot like us the past couple of seasons, despite our relatively comfortable finishes.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jose Sa kept us up, well away from a relegation battle, single-handedly.

We could be in a relegation battle next season because the first thing we need to acknowledge is that 10th was a hugely false position.

Had we finished where the stats say we should, the xG table had us 17th, then everyone would recognise that relegation is a possibility. Even if we don't apply xG strictly, which is fair enough, I get it has flaws, we still should have been in the mix of the Southampton, Brentford's, Everton's etc. all of who I presume we think could go down next season?

Of course, Jose Sa could once again be the best keeper in the league by a mile, in which case we might come 10th again.

I don't want to be banking on him having to be that good again though, history suggests he won't be able to do it again.

Getting it back on track to transfers so the mods don't go mad :D I hope our recruitment team are thinking negatively and that we need to act, rather than having a complacent attitude and that we came 10th last season so we'll be fine next season.
Oh I think a top half position was very false last season. We were awful in 75 per cent of matches. I actually thought we were very below par for the majority of the season.

I just can't see it (relegation) with the players we have. They're objectively too good.

Completely agree re complacency. I think Fosun have been incredibly complacent, and that signing Silva was the apex of complacency. (That being said, I have a sneaking suspicion Fabio might surprise a few next season). As I always say, teams that look to tread water always go down eventually. Probably not next season, but there's no doubt in my mind that in the next decade, we will have a very poor run and slip out the PL (with the current set up).

If Neves is staying, I'd be 100% looking to bring in proven goals. Podence and Neto are awesome players but they're very samey. I'd love us to buy a genuine goalscoring winger. MGW is a lovely bonus to our lack of creativity from midfield. But it's goals we need, goals, goals, goals! As you say, Sa was a hero last season: he's either going to perform worse next season or go on to be the new Yashin. If we can't score more than a goal a game, we are going to be a very very tough watch.

All this Nunes/Palhinha/Fernandez talk is grand, but I want us to do everything we can do to find a 15 goal a season man

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m very concerned as this has an all to familiar feel to it, just like the last 3 years plenty of we tried but failed stuff has happened already. I don’t trust the current set up since Kevin therwell left and I don’t think anyone can blame me or anyone else for thinking That way!!

Asthmatic Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I just don’t understand why we track a player for 3 years and then when they become available for a reasonable/decent price and is happy to come here we say ‘nah can’t be *****’. This despite us still only having 3 senior midfielders, any/all of whom could conceivably leave?

I think Palhinia will do really well at Fulham
Fosun are trying to run a ‘corporate’ model but with diligence, planning and execution which would see anybody in the real corporate world fired and struggling to get another role.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting perspective on Fernandez - it looks like Fernandez wanted to stay at River until January so he could compete in the Copa Libertadores, out of respect for the club and the fans, and it looks like Benfica allowing him to stay for the Copa Libertadores was pivotal in his decision to move there.

Despite Wolves claiming there is a limited pool of players that can improve the first team, here's one that could, but we weren't prepared to go without him for a few months.

Is it a lack of respect for legacy fans that fueled Wolves' attitude towards his wishes? Was the notion that Fernandez might want to achieve something out of respect for the legacy fans completely alien to a club that now sees the local support as 'incidental'?

Not saying that's my opinion, but it's an interesting take on it.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting perspective on Fernandez - it looks like Fernandez wanted to stay at River until January so he could compete in the Copa Libertadores, out of respect for the club and the fans, and it looks like Benfica allowing him to stay for the Copa Libertadores was pivotal in his decision to move there.

Despite Wolves claiming there is a limited pool of players that can improve the first team, here's one that could, but we weren't prepared to go without him for a few months.

Is it a lack of respect for legacy fans that fueled Wolves' attitude towards his wishes? Was the notion that Fernandez might want to achieve something out of respect for the legacy fans completely alien to a club that now sees the local support as 'incidental'?

We wouldn’t wait 2 months for Sanches last year and we won’t wait a few months for Enzo this.

Yet we couldn’t wait to spend 14m on Hwang unnecessarily instead of waiting a few months.

From a purely football perspective, the people in charge don’t have a clue. They are brands people and a couple of jobs worths like Sellars and Hobbs who probably wake up every day and pinch themselves they are employed by a premier league club. For now at least.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Could well be or just window dressing to show intent, have zero faith in Shi and his puppets.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought that January’s transfer window was embarrassing but this summer is even worse.

For those who say, “well no one else is doing any business”, which other clubs have only got 2 senior midfielders (Neves and Dendoncker) confirmed for next season?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Your probably spot on here.
I really want Giles to come through for us , because I like that idea of producing your own players.
But just like Sanderson, truth is, he’s probably just not quite there yet.

I suspect we may see a fair bit of Chiquinho at rwb, so with Jonny fit that wouldn’t give Giles much opportunity.

I can definitely see the sense in letting him go.
It’s good the decision has been made early so he gets the pre season with them.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could well be or just window dressing to show intent, have zero faith in Shi and his puppets.
Ah yes, the famous Wolverhampton Windowshoppers!

'We are a football club that likes to think we do things the right way' according to Sellars....I guess he's not including successfully completing incoming transfers in that assessment

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
I am clinging and I mean clinging on to the faint hope that some deals may be done and the players we are signing were playing in the nations league and are now on holiday so won’t be confirmed until they return…..like I said…clinging!!

k-dog

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thankfully have been trekking in mountains for a week - any transfer news or are we all still bickering?

Back
Top Bottom