Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

U18 & U23 news and info...

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves u21's are yet again one of the 16 invited clubs into the Papa Johns Trophy and we'll be in the Northern Section of the draw which will be live on Sky Sports News on 23rd June

Potential Groups are as follows:

A:
Harrogate
Hartlepool
Morecombe

B:
Bolton
Crewe
Tranmere

C:
Port Vale
Shrewsbury
Stockport

D:
Accrington Stanley (who are they?)
Rochdale
Salford

E:
Barnsley
Doncaster
Lincoln

F:
Derby
Grimsby
Mansfield

G:
Barrow
Carlisle
Fleetwood

H:
Bradford
Burton
Sheff W

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves u21's are yet again one of the 16 invited clubs into the Papa Johns Trophy and we'll be in the Northern Section of the draw which will be live on Sky Sports News on 23rd June

A:
Harrogate
Hartlepool
Morecombe

B:
Bolton
Crewe
Tranmere

C:
Port Vale
Shrewsbury
Stockport

D:
Rochdale
Salford

E:
Barnsley
Doncaster
Lincoln

F:
Derby
Grimsby
Mansfield

G:
Barrow
Carlisle
Fleetwood

H:
Bradford
Burton
Sheff W
Some cracking away days in that bunch! Just don’t give us Group G knowing 2 of the 3 games are us being the visitors…

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A:
Harrogate
Hartlepool
Morecombe

B:
Bolton
Crewe
Tranmere

C:
Port Vale
Shrewsbury
Stockport

D:
Rochdale
Salford

E:
Barnsley
Doncaster
Lincoln

F:
Derby
Grimsby
Mansfield

G:
Barrow
Carlisle
Fleetwood

H:
Bradford
Burton
Sheff W
Groups B or D would be convenient for me

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Central America is a hotbed for football, Jamaica focusses on cricket and athletics - and basketball sadly!

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty sure from seeing the details, that it's 2 out of the 3 away
I think that’s the EFL clubs, pretty sure all u21 invited sides play away

So essentially the EFL clubs will each have one game at home vs another EFL team plus a home game vs an invited u21 side

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Appreciate this in non Wolves but I know some folks like to keep in touch with all things youth academies (and there is potential benefit to Wolves):

Burnley are no longer a Cat1 academy and West Brom’s academy have been placed in special measures which means there are certain things they need to comply with otherwise they’ll lose their Cat1 status… could possibly be one of the reasons so many of their stars are leaving/have left

Like it or not West Brom’s academy had previously been thought of as one of the shining lights, but this might help us with more local recruitment, especially as Blues lost their Cat1 status last year too.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Appreciate this in non Wolves but I know some folks like to keep in touch with all things youth academies (and there is potential benefit to Wolves):

Burnley are no longer a Cat1 academy and West Brom’s academy have been placed in special measures which means there are certain things they need to comply with otherwise they’ll lose their Cat1 status… could possibly be one of the reasons so many of their stars are leaving/have left
Interesting thanks giant

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Like it or not West Brom’s academy had previously been thought of as one of the shining lights, but this might help us with more local recruitment, especially as Blues lost their Cat1 status last year too.
How many of those shining lights play in their first team?

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many of those shining lights play in their first team?

I didn't say they had proven shining lights, just that the academy was highly thought of in academy circles and some of their players have been snapped up by the "big boys" (Lino Sousa (Arsenal), Reyes Cleary (tbc), Louie Barry (Barca), Morgan Rogers (Man City) to name a few) and a few who have graduated have had decent careers so (Tyler Roberts/Kemar Roofe off the top of my head, you can include Berahino in that although he went off the rails)

Rather than shining praise on one of our rivals, I'm pointing out that their potential demise, is good news for Wolves in terms of Midlands recruitment, especially as we need to look more domestically these days.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't say they had proven shining lights, just that the academy was highly thought of in academy circles and some of their players have been snapped up by the "big boys" (Lino Sousa (Arsenal), Reyes Cleary (tbc), Louie Barry (Barca), Morgan Rogers (Man City) to name a few) and a few who have graduated have had decent careers so (Tyler Roberts/Kemar Roofe off the top of my head, you can include Berahino in that although he went off the rails)

Rather than shining praise on one of our rivals, I'm pointing out that their potential demise, is good news for Wolves in terms of Midlands recruitment, especially as we need to look more domestically these days.
If it helps mate I’ve been told the same about Albion (re special measures).

The agent I know does a bit of a hybrid bit where he scouts players and takes them to academies locally then they hopefully sign to his agency at pro terms time so very much involved locally (he’s looked after a load of ours the last 15 years) and he told me about this a while back. He’s a wolves fan but always talked the Albion academy up in that period but has been telling me it’s falling apart currently. Lots of management and coaches moving on, players moving on and the budget slashed.

As much as people hate him on here he always says how well organised and managed our academy is since Sellars got the head of football role and that the amount we invest in youth recruitment now compared to pre Fosun is night and day.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The agent I know does a bit of a hybrid bit where he scouts players and takes them to academies locally then they hopefully sign to his agency at pro terms time so very much involved locally (he’s looked after a load of ours the last 15 years) and he told me about this a while back. He’s a wolves fan but always talked the Albion academy up in that period but has been telling me it’s falling apart currently. Lots of management and coaches moving on, players moving on and the budget slashed.

As much as people hate him on here he always says how well organised and managed our academy is since Sellars got the head of football role and that the amount we invest in youth recruitment now compared to pre Fosun is night and day.
Re your last para do you know if the additional sum is just because we have an overall bigger budget or are we spending a higher proportion of the budget on the academy too?

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm not afraid to admit I'm friends with an Albion fan and we were talking about our youth set ups a couple of weeks ago, they have (had) a really highly rated academy but there was never a route through to the first team for them so hardly any broke through, and that's why they keep losing their top prospects

I can only really think of O'Shea recently who has made a decent number of appearances for them and even he is a squad player and not first choice, whereas we have bought through a fair few over the years in comparison, albeit ending up in Lge 1 and then being up for sale for a while probably helped with that.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I know this isnt the thread for it, but our growth under Sellars (from a youth perspective) has been incredible. Whether or not that qualifies him for the job he has.... different debate!

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know there's a lot to sort out this summer and far more pressing issues, but I would like to think we can get around to giving Corbeanu a new contract soon. I believe he only has a year left on his current deal and he was impressive at both Sheffield Wednesday and MK Dons last season. Just one more thing for the club to sort out at some point. That's if he wants to stay of course. He might have other plans.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

A:
Harrogate
Hartlepool
Morecombe

B:
Bolton
Crewe
Tranmere

C:
Port Vale
Shrewsbury
Stockport

D:
Rochdale
Salford

E:
Barnsley
Doncaster
Lincoln

F:
Derby
Grimsby
Mansfield

G:
Barrow
Carlisle
Fleetwood

H:
Bradford
Burton
Sheff W

We were drawn in group C….

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tyler Roberts played the final 35 mins as Jamaica u20s beat Haiti. Dexter Lembikisa is still waiting to feature in the match day squad.

Jamaica now play the Dominican Republic in the quarter finals

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reaction score
Tyler Roberts starts for Jamaica u20s in their QF vs Dominican Republic

View attachment 28627View attachment 28627
Thanks for that. Found a way to watch...just in time to watch the Dominican Republic score :(

1-0 after 11 minutes.

Surprised Lembikisa not involved

Edit:-
Finished 1-0. Roberts hardly had a touch all game but on the rare occasion he did he looked good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom