Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So why did we only change the law after Brexit screwed British clubs out of signing wonderkids from the EU?
There are no different rules to signing players from EU to anywhere else now.

When the rules changed, they made the amendment of adding South American Countries' Leagues to the list.

Buying a 21 year old regular 1st teamer from France equates to the same player playing in Argentina now.

It only appears harder to sign EU players because we're so used to freedom of movement.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The "UKBA" doesn't exist. UK Visas and Immigration is responsible for policy aspects of immigration.
The relaxing of requirements was done to help negate the damage done to UK Football Clubs by leaving the EU. As agreed by the UKVI following consultation between the FA, the Premier League, the Football League, the Professional Footballers’ Association, the League Managers’ Association and the other Home Associations of the Scottish FA, the FA of Wales and the Irish FA.

Fixed for pedant.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be clear - there is absolutely no chance we end up with Nunes, Neves, Fernandes, Moutinho and MGW as Midfield options.

But we can all dream of what the world would look like if we did :hearteyes:

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be clear - there is absolutely no chance we end up with Nunes, Neves, Fernandes, Moutinho and MGW as Midfield options.

You're completely right
It will be Nunes, Neves, Fernandes, Moutinho, MGW, Moutinho, Dendoncker, Sanches

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are no different rules to signing players from EU to anywhere else now.

When the rules changed, they made the amendment of adding South American Countries' Leagues to the list.

Buying a 21 year old regular 1st teamer from France equates to the same player playing in Argentina now.

It only appears harder to sign EU players because we're so used to freedom of movement.
Yes I know. But the rules would not have changed if not for the loss of FoM.

If we're being really pedantic, Brexit has nothing to do with the rule change, nor does leaving the EU. It's purely the loss of FoM which necessitated the rule change.

FoM could perhaps have been negotiated while leaving the EU, but Brexit is the biggest contributing factor to the loss of FoM.

The rule change therefore is as a direct result of Brexit.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Absolutely - Italy and Ireland too. I said as much at post #10534.
Interesting. I would never have thought there are many Irish descendants in South America? Where exactly are the highest congregations and how/why did this particular emigration come about?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting. I would never have thought there are many Irish descendants in South America? Where exactly are the highest congregations and how/why did this particular emigration come about?
Weird fact: there is a valley somewhere in Argentina where they all talk Welsh.

There are some fairly significant enclaves of German descent in South America too.

Edited to add:

hristisenas

Reaction score
In some cases wasn’t it due to the fact that some South American’s can quite easily get duel citizenship to countries like Spain and Portugal as a result of historical links?
If a South American could get an EU passport because of his heritage then he would have been able to play in England, as the UK was a member back then and could not refuse a work permit to an EU passport holder. So, it was more relaxed rules in the other EU countries

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If a South American could get an EU passport because of his heritage then he would have been able to play in England, as the UK was a member back then and could not refuse a work permit to an EU passport holder. So, it was more relaxed rules in the other EU countries
The rules for acquiring citizenship in some EU countries are significantly looser than those in UK too. Hence some players used to get EU passports and hence the right to work in the UK that way.

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Weird fact: there is a valley somewhere in Argentina where they all talk Welsh.

There are some fairly significant enclaves of German descent in South America too.

Edited to add:
Funny enough there's a very small valley in West Brom where they talk a form of English!

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a football club, and a region, in Chile called O'Higgins. Named after a founding father of the nation who's family come from County Sligo.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did read a lot on it when it came out, but don’t remember more specifics than that.
Signing EU players hasn’t actually become more difficult than signing South American players, it’s now the same, as the eligibility criteria is pretty much the same, whereas there was complete freedom for EU before. Probably easier to get in a libertadores squad than CL though.
Did It hinder us signing Ruben semedo? ie were we allowed to sign convicted EU criminals pre-brexit? Or have I been reading too much propaganda?
I mean it's probably a good thing.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That is my dream, and Palhina, with Dendonker sold and Cundle on loan to Sheff U.
It’s for free, right?

Sidaway

Reaction score
My only take on Enzo is why would Matt fly 7500 miles if there was no chance of signing him

My only take on Enzo is why would Matt fly 7500 miles if there was no chance of signing him
Can look at it one of two ways.

1) Sealing the deal and signing the contract
2) Flying out there to sell the club to him & his reps in person, showing them how much we want him

D

Deleted member drgr12429

He wouldn't of course. There must be a good chance to get him for this to happen. I hope he's got the 20m euros in his back pack, so when they ask for the release clause money he just says "funny you should mention that" as he pulls out the cash and slaps it on the table!
Maybe the last bit is stretching it, but it would make good TV... :tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom