Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yes it does, it’s not about money for them it’s about roles. Nunes in equals Moutinho out.
Palhinha in equals Neves out.

It has nothing to do with ‘affording’ the transfer fee.
After witnessing our net spends of the last 4 transfer windows, do you genuinely still think we have money to spend on transfers without making significant money from sales?

If Moutinho goes, he goes on a free, so where does the money for Nunes possibly come from?

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
er yes it does - if we keep neves we don’t want palhinha

Either way it appears we want Nunes (allegedly)

Not that difficult
We need a new midfielder before any sales, two if Moutinho goes and three if Neves joins him in leaving.

Palhinha and Neves are not the same type of player- there would easily be room for both in our engine room.

So, if our decisions were made for footballing reasons, we would want Palhinha without selling Neves.

But our footballing decisions are being driven by our finances. We have to sell Neves before bringing in Palhinha because we have no money.

Not that difficult.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After witnessing our net spends of the last 4 transfer windows, do you genuinely still think we have money to spend on transfers without making significant money from sales?

If Moutinho goes, he goes on a free, so where does the money for Nunes possibly come from?
You’re still missing the point. It’s not about recouping the money for Nunes from Moutinho in terms of transfer fee. It’s pegs in holes. Neves is our ‘expensive CDM’ - we won’t have him and Palhinha on the books at the same time. Same thing with Moutinho. We aren’t having Nunes and a 100k a week Moutinho as backup. We’ll never have all 3 - it’s one in one out like a Ritzy in the 80s.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
This seems to have become the standard answer for and reason behind everything. The adoption of "Sellers and Shi" as pantomime villains and the root of all evil is laughable.

It's also meant a miraculous resurrection for Thelwell. He's now our great lost footballing mastermind.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we can't sign Palhinha because we haven't sold Neves but we can sign Nunes when we haven't sold Neves? Doesn't really make sense does it?
Guess the thinking is we don’t need Palhinia and neves as they play the same position. But neves and Nunes would work (maybe at the expense of Moutinho).

I’d of thought neves and Palhinha would work well. But I also spent our first 3 premier seasons thinking saiss could still work well in midfield with neves! Obviously there are things actual professional managers can see in players that most of us don’t quite appreciate.
And like I’ve said about Vitinha, we aren’t spending big money on a player for the bench.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vitinha looked bang average for Wolves and thats why he got little game time. People are only criticising the recruitment team now because he has had a good season and gone to PSG. He looked pretty lightweight in midfield and showed a lack of strength on the ball - very short memories or is this just the excuse some need to have a go over what was the right decision at the time.

R

reanswolf

Vitinha looked bang average for Wolves and thats why he got little game time. People are only criticising the recruitment team now because he has had a good season and gone to PSG. He looked pretty lightweight in midfield and showed a lack of strength on the ball - very short memories or is this just the excuse some need to have a go over what was the right decision at the time.
I could see he had immense talent but was immobile.

Difficult one for Wolves at the time, but spending that on him rather than Fabio would have made more sense to me.

Ps happy birthday Steve…. Hope you had a good night. Mate you Dow look a day over 60 so you’re doing something right!

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Slowly over this week I have been seeing a few more posters entertaining the idea that Neves will indeed not be sold this window. I’ve been telling you all as much.

As much as I personally don’t like the idea of Moutinho eating up top wages for at least another season it looks like he is set to re-sign.

Leaves Donk as most likely to leave out of the current 3 to actually get some decent money in.

I’m against the grain here but I don’t believe our financial situation is so dire that we can’t conduct any business without selling Neves.

We will purchase 1 CM and get another in on loan.

No idea where Palhinha ends up. He’s obviously been on our radar so if the club truly thinks he’s the right man for us they would have made a bid by now no? Think Wolves have decided to pass on him.
———————————————

The reported fee quoted for Traore, From a Leeds perspective is absolutely madness for a player with only 12 months left on his contract. More likely to see him move for anywhere between £8mil-£15mil. And at this stage I’d sooner have the £8mil then have him play out his contract with us and leave for diddly squat.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally, I don’t believe ANY sources of any type ……
Unless they’re signed, I wouldn’t believe even God himself. Why the bleedin’ hell would I? Been there, done that.
Once bitten, twice shy……except I was stupid enough to wait til I was bitten too many times before my brain finally over ruled my heart and said…….NO MORE!
Now I just wait…..what else can I do?
…………………..
True story.
Last time I let the transfer vortex get to me was late in the window 2018…..just weeks before we restarted in the PL.
Driving along, listening to CBC Q, ( a great cultural radio talk show). The guest that day was Robert Plant, ( he’s been a guest several times) and at one point the host asks Robert, “ why do you keep looking at your phone?”
Robert says ……” I’m watching for any news on the transfer window.”…..lol.
I was convinced we were going to sign a marquee player that summer…….hahaha….( never again I promised).

A lot of the small talk was edited out of the show before it was put on the CBC archives but here’s part of that interview and him explaining the Liquidator to the host……amusing

Robert was also shown a clip of an 8 year old Japanese girl playing the drums to Zeppelin. Worth a gander.

Yuyoka a brilliant drummer.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You’re still missing the point. It’s not about recouping the money for Nunes from Moutinho in terms of transfer fee. It’s pegs in holes. Neves is our ‘expensive CDM’ - we won’t have him and Palhinha on the books at the same time. Same thing with Moutinho. We aren’t having Nunes and a 100k a week Moutinho as backup. We’ll never have all 3 - it’s one in one out like a Ritzy in the 80s.
I get what you are saying but, if it is one in one out there are two questions.

1) How do we address the, already very acute, current requirement for a new first team midfielder?
2) How do we afford afford "one in" if the one out goes for free?

Last edited:

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Guess the thinking is we don’t need Palhinia and neves as they play the same position. But neves and Nunes would work (maybe at the expense of Moutinho).

I’d of thought neves and Palhinha would work well. But I also spent our first 3 premier seasons thinking saiss could still work well in midfield with neves! Obviously there are things actual professional managers can see in players that most of us don’t quite appreciate.
And like I’ve said about Vitinha, we aren’t spending big money on a player for the bench.
Whoever is chosen, I think it's clear we need a new, first team central midfielder to complement Neves which would make Moutinho and Dendoncker the back-ups.

On top of that, if Moutinho goes, he will need to be replaced and the same for Neves.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1) How do we address the, already very acute, current requirement for a new first team midfielder?
1) they won’t - we’ll never have a spare ‘top player’ - it’ll be Cundle
2) we CAN afford it, one’s sale doesn’t pay for the others transfer fee - I’d suggest it’s more to do with wages and not having expensive players unused on the bench, we run lean

luiandlui

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Shi and Sellars couldn't see his talent though. Clowns.

Totally agree. Most of us on here knew we should have signed Vitinha as the thread that was brought up the other day shows. Agree that faith in our current recruitment team is very low.
There was never an opportunity to sign Vitinha. The player had absolutely no interest in signing after playing so little. The recruitment team actually really fancied, if he had played and been successful he would have been signed.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Money i'd say. Not that i blame him either, you have to look after yourself, but its clear its his motivator with his big contract offer from us ( according to Spiers and from what we have seen with others at the club ) that he turned down. Plus i reckon we wont offer him a new deal now anyway anywhere near close to his previous offer. We have moved on from him i think

Saying that, i'm not sure Leeds would be offering him more than our original offer to him either. Maybe its as i've said, we have decided to move on from him now regardless and made it clear to him. Any deal over 12 million is a good one for us with his contract running down.
Agreed but if he’s truly money motivated he’ll run his contract down and get a bigger wage when he moves on a free.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, he got very little game time with Wolves and had the demeanour of a player who wasn’t wanted.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Look back at the Vitinha thread that was shown the other day. Most on here recognised his clear ability and said we should have signed him for what would have been a small fee by todays standards. His talent and potential was obvious.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Also how does Saiss get replaced?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mdboro in talks to sign Ryan Giles, on loan, according to reports on twitter. I thought he would be competition for RAN now Marcal has gone.

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if Sporting are in the habit of leaking information to journalists to drive the price up. It's funny how after the event with Vitinha it appears Manure never made a bid or showed any interest. So you can probably take many of the reports of our interest in Palhinha with a pinch of salt.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed but if he’s truly money motivated he’ll run his contract down and get a bigger wage when he moves on a free.

Its quite possible he could get himself a good contract at somewhere like Leeds on better money than he is on with us as it stands now, but probably not up at the levels we offered him previously. I guess what he has to weigh up is he better taking that option or seeing how the season pans out. If he doesnt play much football for us then his value will do down, if he makes an impact here he will probably get a decent contract elsewhere.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vitinha is similar to Trinaco in some ways. Both obviously talented but at the time neither had done enough to warrant the kind of outlay in them, especially with our current financial situation. We are sometimes going to have to make decisions that unfortunately mean we lose potentially good players.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wing backs are the least of our concern. We have bueno and bolla, as well as ait nouri, jonny and semedo

Agree but I think Semedo is out injured until August and not sure what the club are planning for Bolla and Bueno.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agree but I think Semedo is out injured until August and not sure what the club are planning for Bolla and Bueno.
Point is marcal doesnt need replacing. He did a job and nothing more. 15 games a season and on 30k a week.

Reactions: Ned

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slowly over this week I have been seeing a few more posters entertaining the idea that Neves will indeed not be sold this window. I’ve been telling you all as much.

As much as I personally don’t like the idea of Moutinho eating up top wages for at least another season it looks like he is set to re-sign.

Leaves Donk as most likely to leave out of the current 3 to actually get some decent money in.

I’m against the grain here but I don’t believe our financial situation is so dire that we can’t conduct any business without selling Neves.

We will purchase 1 CM and get another in on loan.

No idea where Palhinha ends up. He’s obviously been on our radar so if the club truly thinks he’s the right man for us they would have made a bid by now no? Think Wolves have decided to pass on him.
———————————————

The reported fee quoted for Traore, From a Leeds perspective is absolutely madness for a player with only 12 months left on his contract. More likely to see him move for anywhere between £8mil-£15mil. And at this stage I’d sooner have the £8mil then have him play out his contract with us and leave for diddly squat.
I would rather say to him, look what are you gonna get at Leeds that you aren't gonna get here and get him to sign a new contract.
I think we probably lost 8 million in prize money by letting him go to barca.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Also how does Saiss get replaced?
Mdboro in talks to sign Ryan Giles, on loan, according to reports on twitter. I thought he would be competition for RAN now Marcal has gone.
Saiss will need to be replaced but he is not irreplaceable. I think his role in the squad is covered by a combination of the emergence of Gomes and Boly over his long term health and fitness issues.

Re: Giles, Don’t forget Jonny is back now so the need for cover at LB is not as great as it once was when Jonny was a long-term absentee. Even still I would expect a signing similar to the deal Marcal was brought in on. Experienced and cheap addition to fill the gaps in the squad.

Definitely a new top CB needed though. I’d be looking to ship Coady out to help fund this. Back 3 would then see this new arrival with Kilman one side of him and either Boly/Gomes on the other. If we play in a 4 then it’s a central partnership with Kilman I’d imagine.

Probably will need to upprage on Boly/Gomes next summer, unless Gomes has rapid development over the next 12 months similar to Kilman last season.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
I would rather say to him, look what are you gonna get at Leeds that you aren't gonna get here and get him to sign a new contract.
I think we probably lost 8 million in prize money by letting him go to barca.
Yes, it’s unfortunate the Barca opportunity did not work out for all parties involved.

He might actually get some playing time at Leeds because I don’t think Bruno is sold on him and nor am I to be honest. Yes he is an excitement machine but I believe he is ultimately counterproductive to the way we would like to play. I understand others may disagree but that’s a conversation for another thread.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
1) they won’t - we’ll never have a spare ‘top player’ - it’ll be Cundle
2) we CAN afford it, one’s sale doesn’t pay for the others transfer fee - I’d suggest it’s more to do with wages and not having expensive players unused on the bench, we run lean
So we have to run lean in midfield, but have Hwang, Podence, Chiquinho, Neto, Traore and MGW for the wide forward roles? Plus Campbell who is our Cundle equivalent in that position.

Do we have to run lean in midfield or is that an excuse for us not buying available midfielders?

We will probably play with a single striker but Lage wants to buy a third player for that position. Why isn't he talking about running lean?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, it’s unfortunate the Barca opportunity did not work out for all parties involved.

He might actually get some playing time at Leeds because I don’t think Bruno is sold on him and nor am I to be honest. Yes he is an excitement machine but I believe he is ultimately counterproductive to the way we would like to play. I understand others may disagree but that’s a conversation for another thread.
I think he's always been used as an excuse for Moutinho not being good enough anymore. We don't control games when teams aren't doubling up on Adama. But hey that's another thread.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised we didnt sign Vitinha, especially with Lage coming into the club (and his reputation of brining through youth at Benfica). I'm not sure we had the money to spare, given the Covid season and the problems that brought. I've watched a little bit of him this year for Porto and he has looked brilliant. Luis Campos has taken the DoF job at PSG - he is part of the Mendes circle and I guess the profile of player they target may change a little (not to say they wont be in for oven ready superstars but they may also come into the conversation for the best Portuguese players on the market).

Some talk that Ryan Giles could be going to Boro on loan for the season. You'd think Wilder will have them challenging this season, particularly if he is allowed to spend the £20m or so they are getting from Spurs for Djed Spence.

I'm all in on Nunes now, if we dont sign him we should resign our membership of the PL.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Still not sure why we haven’t swapped him for Trincao, and then flipped Trincao to Sporting in exchange for Palhinha.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His outcome of the performances where average but you could see his ability was very good. Played wrong, didn't get given a real chance and when he did at the end of the season MGW and him where our bright spots.

I said it last summer, them two are two I would've built around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom