Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big mistake not buying vitinha . Could have just loaned him to Porto for a year
Is this a joke? The club would have been absolutely crucified spending £20m on a player and then loaning him out straight away. You only have to look at how many get their knickers in a twist over Sang Bin and his buy to loan deal, which was 5% of that cost!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is a very useful tool
Vitinha did very little while here,way less than Trincao
Granted he had limited game time but he showed little interest in staying either
The Prem is very different to any other league in Europe and who knows if he could hack it in that environment

Spot on.

When we had the opportunity to buy him for £20m I very much doubt many on here would have been happy with the signing. Too light weigh, great at 5-aside, not good enough for the Prem - these were all things I remember hearing.

I certainly wouldn't have paid £20m for him back then. It's fairly obvious, but wolves saw him everyday in training and the club did not think he was worth the money either - but more to the point no other club stepped up and said you know what, all these clubs are wrong Vitinha is going to be worth double in a years time - no one did, not even the teams who now appear to be trying to sign him.

Fair play to the lad, he has matched his obvious technical skills with hard work - but I am still not convinced he is going to be a massive success in the Prem. Maybe his chances will be better if he has top 6 players around him giving him time on the ball, but again I wouldn't pay £40m for him now. I think for that money there are better all round players available, that have more physical attributes that suit the Prem.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on.

When we had the opportunity to buy him for £20m I very much doubt many on here would have been happy with the signing. Too light weigh, great at 5-aside, not good enough for the Prem - these were all things I remember hearing.

I certainly wouldn't have paid £20m for him back then. It's fairly obvious, but wolves saw him everyday in training and the club did not think he was worth the money either - but more to the point no other club stepped up and said you know what, all these clubs are wrong Vitinha is going to be worth double in a years time - no one did, not even the teams who now appear to be trying to sign him.

Fair play to the lad, he has matched his obvious technical skills with hard work - but I am still not convinced he is going to be a massive success in the Prem. Maybe his chances will be better if he has top 6 players around him giving him time on the ball, but again I wouldn't pay £40m for him now. I think for that money there are better all round players available, that have more physical attributes that suit the Prem.
I do think we missed out, but if vitinha is 40m and someone pays that release, neves a finished article is 80m

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What price this is repeated with Trincao in a year's time?

Trincao has had 1300 minutes of game time, where Vitinha only had 500. We have to accept that some players do better at other clubs. I saw little that really impressed with Vitinha last season. Though was never sure we were using him in his bets position. Like MGW who shines everwhere else he goes, maybe we have to look at this fixed organised way of playing we have. Though it's the one that took us to 7th place twice, since key players left, seems we are forcing new players into the same roles we had back then.

Read some Forest fans saying that the key to Steve Coopers success there is that he adapts the team to players individual strengths and qualities. I think we've taken the oppposite approach under both Nuno and Bruno. Formations are quite fixed and tightly organised, with players forced into the roles demanded by that structure. Traore at wing back. Various attackers played way out wide. Jonny at CH o_O

Works in that it makes us very hard to beat (mostly), but lack a spark up front. Sensible for a newly promoted club, watch Forest show some silky football next season - before getting thoroughly hammered match after match! However, we've been here 4 seasons now and should be looking to develop rather than dig ourselves even deeper into defensive football.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hindsight is a very useful tool
Vitinha did very little while here,way less than Trincao
Granted he had limited game time but he showed little interest in staying either
The Prem is very different to any other league in Europe and who knows if he could hack it in that environment
For me it's not that we didn't sign him, but the fact he barely got a game when he was here. It's not like our midfield were playing well consistently that season.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on.

The issue is surely he didn’t get enough game time to show what he could do? That’s down to management, the same management that played Ottasowie who was never ever going to be a premier league footballer.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me it's not that we didn't sign him, but the fact he barely got a game when he was here. It's not like our midfield were playing well consistently that season.

It's a difficult one, as it was such a bad season.

Raul's injury messed a lot of things up.

Our spine was pretty much Patricio/Coady/Neves & Moutinho/Raul

With part of that spine already out of action, maybe Nuno was less inclined to stick a youngster into it?

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take a look at Andre Almeida Vitoria Guimaraes who we are linked with
Similar player to Vitinha but younger and so much quicker also far cheaper .. will be a star

Is he as technically or tatically good though? Vitinha has the ability to go to the top

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah, if we'd have signed him for the £20m option last season, he would be nowhere near the level he's at now as he wouldn't have played anywhere near the amount of games he's played at Porto. He'd probably still only worth £20m, if not less.

It's about risk and reward. Sometimes there's a risk signing players, sometimes there's a risk not signing them.

The club generally get this right with lower end transfers like Mir, who bought for just under £2m and was sold for a £12m+ profit.

When you're spending £20m plus on a player that won't play every week, it's a big part of your budget to risk them not developing as quickly as you would like, partly as we've already seen with Fabio Silva. Bigger clubs could have bought him for £20m and maybe loaned him back to Porto to develop. We don't have that luxury, so it's far more of a gamble.
Spot on. These young players progress in portugal because they get played. Thats the portuguese model to maximise value. He would not have played anywhere near this season with us with neves and moutinho in front of him.

Andwilooking at it retrospectively, did he do anything with us to command that 18m fee. Apart from very rare glimpses, no he didnt. We cant keep looking at these types of players as the one that got away ala mir, goncalves. It didnt work with us, move on. There are plenty we have had that didnt work well for other teams but proved themselves with us. Raul, boly, bennett, coady, and so on.

Some you win, some you lose, but based on the position we are in at the moment, we have won more than we have lost.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On what basis would you have completed the transfer though he didn’t have many good games due to lack of time. Saying in hindsight he’s worth more and played well for Porto, doesn’t mean he would have for u

Plus why would he want to stay he got barely any game time

It's not hindsight. I said it last summer.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not hindsight. I said it last summer.

Disappointment to say the least if we dont sign both of them, vitinha looks destined for greatness

Definitely room for both in the squad vitinha is a moutinho replacement, MGW more a 10 vying with podence, however podence is also comfortable out wide but still see at his size that he makes a better 10 in the pockets.

I mean i could say the same, even adding in about how we could have vitinha and MGW in the same squad.

But at the time, i was saying on potential i agree like others there was limited, i just saw in the internationals he looked good.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather we kept it open. I'm considering relocating and I'm torn between San Francisco, London and Bilston. This thread is a gold mine of information.
Bilston is definitely the cheapest lol....

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we go back to the formation debate in absence of any hint of transfers news :D
I'd like to see us go 4-1-4-1; get as many players into forward, attacking positions as possible. Need a Palhinha-type in front of the 2 CHs so that the WBs can give width going forward. So need one new CH with pace and a ball-carrying midfielder.

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean i could say the same, even adding in about how we could have vitinha and MGW in the same squad.

But at the time, i was saying on potential i agree like others there was limited, i just saw in the internationals he looked good.

I have said similar about MGW too. I just don't think we are a very good club at bringing young players through. Particularly those that are attack minded.

Maybe it's the system we play or the way that they are handled. Really though, if you're a young player and you look at the likes of Silva, Vitinha, MGW, Trincao and possibly even RAN, you're going to question whether Wolves is your best option.

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take a look at Andre Almeida Vitoria Guimaraes who we are linked with
Similar player to Vitinha but younger and so much quicker also far cheaper .. will be a star
Linked with frankfurt and Valencia last few days, same report said barca love him but wont pay up

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've already said that I think we'll regret passing on him too. He will go on to play Champions League football elsewhere in a system that is actually suited to attacking players.
Maybe we will regret it……but life is full of missed opportunities .

I wonder how many clubs now wonder why they didn’t grab Sa before we did?

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Linked with frankfurt and Valencia last few days, same report said barca love him but wont pay up.

Barca signed pablo Torre today so might be out the equation

Seems to be the same thing for Barca want all all these players but won’t pay for them.

Most players will be on there jollies atm, or going

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Find it hard to believe you wouldn't have moaned if we'd signed him for 20 million to loan out

Obviously I would have preferred him to stay here and play as he’s a player and a half

Never in doubt to many on here that would be a top player . You could tell by his first touch and quick passing.

A 4 year contract with the first year on loan would have been absolutely fine as an alternative to first team games here

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The poster I remember saying it was a mistake to let vitinha go was Tring, on more than one occasion.
Anyway, Where's the Portuguese poster who used to be a really interesting source of information? He said 4 years ago we'd have one of the strongest midfields in the Premier league. It would be great if he'd post some opinions on these players we're linked with if possible

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The poster I remember saying it was a mistake to let vitinha go was Tring, on more than one occasion.
Anyway, Where's the Portuguese poster who used to be a really interesting source of information? He said 4 years ago we'd have one of the strongest midfields in the Premier league. It would be great if he'd post some opinions on these players we're linked with if possible
Loads of people said it was a mistake

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was a big Nuno fan but the failing of Vitinha falls squarely with him. The latter part of his tenure both Neves and Moutinho were out of form (Bruno deserves some credit for getting them back at it this year) but he didn’t play Vitinha and bizarrely picked Ottasowie who can’t get a kick in the Belgian farmer league.
Would you play Vitinha in a midfield 2? Either in a 343 or 4231?
He didn’t fit for us, I wouldn’t have signed him for £20M. Think I’d of made an offer similar to what we paid for RAN. But not 20, no way.

I don’t think the club were wrong to not sign him, and I don’t think Nuno was wrong to not play him more given we weren’t in a totally safe position.

MGW should have been in the first team ahead of Vitinha last season.
And I saw nothing in Vitinha last year that I haven’t in cundle this.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He didn’t fit for us, I wouldn’t have signed him for £20M. Think I’d of made an offer similar to what we paid for RAN. But not 20, no way.

I don’t think the club were wrong to not sign him, and I don’t think Nuno was wrong to not play him more given we weren’t in a totally safe position.

4 3 3. What we should be playing

He plays a different role to Mgw .

Mgw plays off the striker in the holes, vitinha much deeper keeping play ticking over .

Neves vitinha / moutinho
Mgw
Traore raul podence

Should have been our midfield and forwards last season - but we failed to sign a CB

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cundle has nowhere near Vitinha range of passing or movement. Albion away was a real performance from him. Cundle will have a decent championship career, Vitinha will play top level, there’s zero comparison.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Vitinha was a bit meh (but not used enough).

His performance at Albion was the standout performance of our season though. He was majestic.

I sensed we would regret not signing him but I understood the logic

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cundle has nowhere near Vitinha range of passing or movement. Albion away was a real performance from him. Cundle will have a decent championship career, Vitinha will play top level, there’s zero comparison.
Agree although think it’s early to write off cundle from premiership

I think he’s a playmaker off a front 2 or 3

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is this a joke? The club would have been absolutely crucified spending £20m on a player and then loaning him out straight away. You only have to look at how many get their knickers in a twist over Sang Bin and his buy to loan deal, which was 5% of that cost!
Which is why he has suggested it. He likes nothing more than crucifying Wolves management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom