Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No More Spiers

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite surprised about that. Writing about all the Wolves transfer action and excitement always seemed like such a dream gig? Be interesting to see who takes over at the Athletic

Attachments

• B3088CF3-9977-4B95-89B5-E122A434A120.jpeg
    B3088CF3-9977-4B95-89B5-E122A434A120.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 530

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if it's because the athletic have gave up covering wolves. Ended the podcast last year and now moved Tim to London because London is all that matters.

We currently have the worse reporters going. Amateur hour, get better coverage from Fan accounts

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wonder if it's because the athletic have gave up covering wolves. Ended the podcast last year and now moved Tim to London because London is all that matters.

We currently have the worse reporters going. Amateur hour, get better coverage from Fan accounts

They've moved their WBA reporter over to cover Wolves. While their Derby reporter is now covering WBA.

Last edited:

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Think it's a good move all around. He's a far better writer than people give him credit for and his writing also massively improved over the years. It must be pretty awful for club writers on social media where you have loads of idiots constantly pushing or criticising you for transfer news. Will be interesting to see what he writes about now. He writes and tweets with good humour.

All that said it will be good to hear a new voice about Wolves, I think I know how Tîm thinks about nearly every possible Wolves situation now and in more recent times have just skimmed over his articles. It's good for him and good for us. That's if he is replaced, as The Athletic dropped the Wolves podcast without any explanation.

Last edited:

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite surprised about that. Writing about all the Wolves transfer action and excitement always seemed like such a dream gig? Be interesting to see who takes over at the Athletic

Tim going up in the world. Not bad for a bloke whose copped a ridiculous amount of flak on here.
I really liked his stuff in the athletic.
Who takes over? My guess is noone in particular, I think some jobs at the Athletic are being consolidated and reduced in order to reduce expenses.
Going up in the world? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the financial outlook of the Athletic and how profitable, or even viable it is.

To be fair, I am only making a very superficial argument here, based solely on doubts of the Athletics' profitabilty. So, the fact that I have a low opinion of the chap is purely a bonus.

citrus_wolf

Reaction score

He was assigned to cover the Rooney/Vardy WAG court case at the end of the season! (Though talked about it with massive disdain).

New avenues to explore, I guess. Wish him well, the sports journalist role for a club is a different beast from when he started.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massive shame. He was the first name I’d check on Twitter for any wolves reaction.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I quite liked him. He’s a decent chap and his articles were generally good I thought. Tbh I never could quite understand the levels of vitriol aimed at him in some quarters. You often couldn’t mention him on here without somebody appearing to be annoyed and immediately responding ‘he doesn’t know **** all’. Even if it was just something mildly innocuous.

Loved that people used to seemingly get mad at him personally for tweeting Wolves wouldn’t be doing any/anymore business on deadline day or whatever.

Steve Madeley do you know what you are letting yourself in for lol?

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A decent journalist and obviously loves the Wolves.

However.

When did he last break a story, was right about news from within the club? I can’t remember it. And Jonny Phillips is the best Wolves journalist there is, no contest.
I’ll actually miss Tim’s game commentary tweets the most.

All the best to him anyway.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked Spiers writing, but with regards to any reliable Wolves info/news, the most important part for me, is whether the local reporters has any good sources at the club. None of those currenty seem to have that.
Tim to me seemed to have some access to snippets of info, but generally Wolves was pretty much a close shop in that regard and he often seemed to try and cover all possible scenarios in his writings, because essentiallly he knew very little

Will it be any different for the new guy?
Who knows...
But it does take time to build up a good network of sources, especially sources inside a club. Spiers took years to do that and even his info was pretty sparse.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a bit ambivalent to him really. Only thing i really disliked about him really was how he had it in for Fosun in the early days and he still seems to have a chip on his shoulder about them even now imo.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most hated man on here alongside Lee Hughes. Never understood why.

Will miss his in-debth wolves articles.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m waiting to see how the new guy does. Having said that I only pay £1 a month anyway

That’s fair. The subscription for me was always marginal, so Tim moving on just tipped the balance. Enjoyed his writing at the E&S and at the Athletic. Best of luck to him.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No secret on here that i didnt care for Spiers,but he was always a true Wolves fan,and although i disagreed with his views on many occasions i wish him well with his new post
Good luck mate youll need it down there :)

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed reading his stuff. Covered a good period for wolves. All the best. Especially his geninue reactions etc during his commentary on twitter.

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t believe they’ve given Steve Madeley the job.

He’s a Walsall fan as mentioned above, and there’s not many that like us, and he’s covered Albion for that long including at E&S, that he’s bound to have an affinity to them.

Does seem like the Athletic have just given up on us after cancelling the podcast as well. We mustn’t get the numbers.

Also felt Spiers got more stick than he deserved. Some warranted but always on hand to play down rumours and was usually right. 100% convinced Sellars was his source.

Back
Top Bottom