Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hwang

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All to do as in one touch to control the ball and one to have a shot?

Did you award an assist to Chiquinho for Trincao against Chelsea? Or maybe they should just abolish assists altogether

From 2 mins 5 seconds in

He plays it to the bloke on the edge of the area who is surrounded. He controls it backs in turns and shoots.

Calling that an assist is flakey.
He's not created the chance for him. The lad has made it all himself.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From 2 mins 5 seconds in

He plays it to the bloke on the edge of the area who is surrounded. He controls it backs in turns and shoots.

If that's not an assist, then neither are about 75% of the assists.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Superb finish that.

This is where I have sympathy for Hwang, he can clearly finish, so why has Bruno been playing him in such a negative deep wide role where he needs close control in crowded areas in our own half. He's never going to be a Jota replacement carrying the ball from deep areas.

Get him up the pitch where he can get shots off, if he comes back in the same role he will revert back to being a shambles.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Superb finish that.

This is where I have sympathy for Hwang, he can clearly finish, so why has Bruno been playing him in such a negative deep wide role where he needs close control in crowded areas in our own half. He's never going to be a Jota replacement carrying the ball from deep areas.

Get him up the pitch where he can get shots off, if he comes back in the same role he will revert back to being a shambles.

Think it's to do with the mentality at the club that has been drilled into them for several years. We can't out score the big clubs, so everything becomes based on organisation. Jota for example, has also always been a better player more forward and more central. Yet we'd have him out wide for months when he would often go through lean spells. Sacrificing the position you are best in, so that you get shoe horned into the tactic the team knows best (usually 3-4-3, occasionally 3-5-2) , seems something our players have to expect. MGW too, another we could lose because we just won't play him where he excels.

Disappointing that we haven't moved away from this yet - though TBF both Nuno & Bruno tried and had to revert so as to put points on the table.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think it's to do with the mentality at the club that has been drilled into them for several years. We can't out score the big clubs, so everything becomes based on organisation. Jota for example, has also always been a better player more forward and more central. Yet we'd have him out wide for months when he would often go through lean spells. Sacrificing the position you are best in, so that you get shoe horned into the tactic the team knows best (usually 3-4-3, occasionally 3-5-2) , seems something our players have to expect. MGW too, another we could lose because we just won't play him where he excels.

Disappointing that we haven't moved away from this yet - though TBF both Nuno & Bruno tried and had to revert so as to put points on the table.
I agree. How many times has Fabio been out wide 50 yards from goal. Quite clearly a poacher.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From 2 mins 5 seconds in

The lad that scored is available for transfer from relegated bordeaux. 11 goals last season. Ui- jo hwang.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Agreed a fair bit with this.

FWIW I'm a long-time fan of 343, I love attacking 343's and spent the second half of Nuno's reign insisting all that was needed was a change in mentality and a couple attacking signings, keep the back three. But what this season has proven -IMO- is exactly what you say. There's a mentality problem in the squad. They've come to associate the back three with deep, defensive play. And Traore became the only variety to that because of his ability to carry the ball from deep.

Hwang is a good finisher. A very good finisher. But he gets the ball too far from goal to show this. And Raul's best performances have been when he has someone closer to him, but too much last season he was isolated and alone.

We need new players in key positions and a change in formation to push through a change in mentality.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score

FWIW I'm a long-time fan of 343, I love attacking 343's and spent the second half of Nuno's reign insisting all that was needed was a change in mentality and a couple attacking signings, keep the back three. But what this season has proven -IMO- is exactly what you say. There's a mentality problem in the squad. They've come to associate the back three with deep, defensive play. And Traore became the only variety to that because of his ability to carry the ball from deep.

Hwang is a good finisher. A very good finisher. But he gets the ball too far from goal to show this. And Raul's best performances have been when he has someone closer to him, but too much last season he was isolated and alone.

We need new players in key positions and a change in formation to push through a change in mentality.
Agreed. In addition to the defensive mentality, we need some more speed in the midfield and the back three.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This will never happen unless we get new centre backs and a more mobile midfield though

We have to play so deep because they are so immobile.

We are 20th for the starting position on a football pitch - which sums it up.

We have to go to a back 4 otherwise to get the best out of of our attacking players. No attacker does better when isolated from the next player by 50 meters

R

reanswolf

I agree. How many times has Fabio been out wide 50 yards from goal. Quite clearly a poacher.
For me that won;t change until we have a more mobile midfield capable of pushing further up or at least keeping up.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang has reported for 3 weeks military service in S. Korea let's hope he isn't asked to shoot anything.
Well he had the best shot conversion rate in the whole squad so…… you would be safer with him than any other member of the squad.

But why let facts get in the way of taking the **** out of a player who was one of our top scorers…..

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

A lot of the key personalities in the squad know they can only play a certain way and I believe did not enjoy being left exposed in a more progressive system either under Nuno or Bruno

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His military training could sharpen him up ahead of pre season. Before his injury he looked a different player. Yes the back end of last season he was frustrating to watch after that everton game his theatrics did work in our favour

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If that's not an assist, then neither are about 75% of the assists.

That's why in football analytics xA exists for this reason. Like xG it tries to give a measurement to how good the assist was, rather than just giving it a binary value only based on if it ended in a goal or not.

If you really want to get nerdy there's also xT (expected threat) which tries to determine how a players individual action increases the chance of a goal happening during a phase of play, that stat is much harder and much more subjective to measure than xG/xA but definitely has merit. It's really good at showing not only which individual players are good at unlocking defences, but also how a team in general goes about doing it (I'd advise you not to look up Wolves stats in this regard lol).

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Hwang may not be as rubbish as we all think, the as he isn't as good as we all thought.
Had a rubbish last few weeks, but decent on the press, intelligent movement and a good shot.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Hwang may not be as rubbish as we all think, the as he isn't as good as we all thought.
Had a rubbish last few weeks, but decent on the press, intelligent movement and a good shot.
He isn't very creative and hasn't got the beating of many in the division.
Still think for the points mentioned above he is useful to have in the squad.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the flip side, his first touch is a genuine danger to society.

A disappointing signing which perfectly demonstrates our lack of ambition and what we can expect with regard to the regression of the squad over the next few years. Safe to say, that Europa League season before the pandemic hit will be the peak of FOSUN's ownership, it's all downhill from there.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ironic as Hwang was one of only two of our forwards to score more actual goals than expected goals (Podence the other...just):

Actual XG
Hwang 5 4
Raul 6 6.6
Trincao 2 3.4
Fabio 0 2.3
Traore 1 2.4
Podence 2 1.9

Fabio would have dropped the gun.
Or blown his own head off by accident

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Staggered at the lack of talk about this on here - it seems racism only works some ways...

Hope Hwang is okay firstly. Also hope the decision to play on was made by him, even though it didn't look that way. The lack of support from the players/management slightly concerning IMO but can't criticise them that much as don't actually know what was said.

It seemed the right time to actually do something and make a stand by walking off.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Staggered at the lack of talk about this on here - it seems racism only works some ways...

Hope Hwang is okay firstly. Also hope the decision to play on was made by him, even though it didn't look that way. The lack of support from the players/management slightly concerning IMO but can't criticise them that much as don't actually know what was said.

It seemed the right time to actually do something and make a stand by walking off.

Unfortunalty Hwang has become the whipping boy on here and social media for Wolves fans, for example the ever so clever Hwang nickname. Was always going to happen that some cretinous individual would take their insults too far.

I feel really sorry for the lad.

Have actually ordered a South Korea flag (before this happened) that I will bring with me on match days, hopefully shows him he has some support.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunalty Hwang has become the whipping boy on here and social media for Wolves fans, for example the ever so clever Hwang nickname. Was always going to happen that some cretinous individual would take their insults too far.

Have actually ordered a South Korea flag (before this happened) that I will bring with me on match days, hopefully shows him he has some support.
He has but to be fair this wasn't our fans it was Farense fans.

My point was also to do with the reaction, why's it hardly mentioned on here? Would it be the case if some **** had done a monkey gesture to Boly? I doubt it.

Why didn't we walk off? What did Hwang say to Coady? Presume some of these questions will be put to Lage on Friday so may get more insight but they don't come out of it well as it stands with the limited information.

But yeah the main thing here is Hwang.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It did, in case you didn't notice, say opposition fans. While l agree much of what you say about Hwang being the latest scapegoat, you apparently trying to blame Wolves fans for the disgraceful events that happened tonight is utterly ridiculous.

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It did, in case you didn't notice, say opposition fans. While l agree much of what you say about Hwang being the latest scapegoat, you apparently trying to blame Wolves fans for the disgraceful events that happened tonight is utterly ridiculous.
Your right, I had been told about it third hand and that party told me that “Hwang was racial abused by his own fans“, which was obviously wrong.

Should have waited until I knew more, just unfortunately its a bit of a sore spot for me as my partner has been subjected to racial slurs on multiple occasions while in the UK.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Your right, I had been told about it third hand and that party told me that “Hwang was racial abused by his own fans“, which was obviously wrong.

Should have waited until I knew more, just unfortunately its a bit of a sore spot for me as my partner has been subjected to racial slurs on multiple occasions while in the UK.
Re your second para, my partner is Ghanaian so l sadly know what you mean. I have friends of Chinese ethnicity who l know have had some crap too.

sheffwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Disgusting. Hope he is ok. Disappointed we didn’t show more strength during the game. We talked about abandoning the Levante game because it got a bit too physical. We should have had no second thoughts about walking away from a friendly where one of our players was being racially abused.

Back
Top Bottom