Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mistakes.

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
If you had to say what the club 's worst mistakes have been over the last couple of years - what would you say?

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you had to say what the club 's worst mistakes have been over the last couple of years - what would you say?
Selling Jota and replacing him with a kid who is nowhere near ready,and paying £10m for a useless defender upfront as part of the deal.

Selling Doherty and replacing him with somebody who cost twice as much, but who has less than 1% of his output in respect of goals scored or supplied.

Tell me I'm wrong!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva & Semedo, easily.

£70m should’ve given us the chance to buy 3/4 good players to improve the first-team. We managed to make ourselves undoubtedly weaker.

I actually like Silva and think he’ll come good but he’s just gone a season without scoring. For the price quoted I still believe something iffy went on.

Semedo is a good player but he’s not good enough going forward to be a wing-back and I believe right-back is the easiest position to find a good player in world football.

Matty Cash has outperformed him easily for half the price. Livramento, Lamptey, Coufal all cost about £5m.

Again, Semedo is a good player, but if the choice is one of them and £25m to spend elsewhere, it’s a pretty easy call.

Signing a teenager for £35m and a full-back for £30m are the sort of moves you make when everything else is sorted. Not a club that desperately needed players down the spine to come in & also one that knew funds were tight!

Me Babbies

Reaction score
I would suggest in hindsight Raul defending the front post away at Arsenal.
Since his injury we've got from amazing to alright as a team.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, the Positives massively outweigh the mistakes over the last 5 years.

Has it been perfect? No, of course not, I’d love to have a new 45k stadium with Neves, Jota and Dias playing next season and with Talisca on the bench.

Would I have expected us to be spending £30m regularly on players? Wow.

Will all transfers come off? No - but that is true of £1m, £10m or £30m players. Ask fans of all the clubs who have “done bits” if every player has come off.

Long may the Positives outweigh the Negatives.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad succession planning, leaving us having to do a large amount of squad change all at once

I don't know why we've effectively delayed the much needed reset of the team by 12 months, all that will have done is let rivals come in for our targets, while the players we need to get rid of have had another year of poor form and are 12 months older so are worth less. Meh.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a one off the Silva deal is horrendous on so many levels. Even if he turns out to be good the deal set us back as we had to neglect the team and have now lost our momentum as a top seven side.

Plenty of other poor deals in recent times as well, Hoever, Semedo(good player but man have we lost our productivity down that side), Hwang among others.

And agree with Bod regarding succession planning, literally non existent.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva & Semedo, easily.

£70m should’ve given us the chance to buy 3/4 good players to improve the first-team. We managed to make ourselves undoubtedly weaker.

I actually like Silva and think he’ll come good but he’s just gone a season without scoring. For the price quoted I still believe something iffy went on.

Semedo is a good player but he’s not good enough going forward to be a wing-back and I believe right-back is the easiest position to find a good player in world football.

Matty Cash has outperformed him easily for half the price. Livramento, Lamptey, Coufal all cost about £5m.

Again, Semedo is a good player, but if the choice is one of them and £25m to spend elsewhere, it’s a pretty easy call.

Signing a teenager for £35m and a full-back for £30m are the sort of moves you make when everything else is sorted. Not a club that desperately needed players down the spine to come in & also one that knew funds were tight!

Good post.

When you think of it in the terms you've accurately put out it really is undoubtedly the answer.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The worst thing is - the Silva and Semedo signings are completely against the strategy they outline to the fans

It really does stink of doing others favours

I’m not sure fosun will recover from those mistakes with their sell to buy strategy now

I also have zero faith in them making the right signings now if we do sell neves. We just signed hwang FFS

They don’t have a clue what they are doing

Sirstancullis

Reaction score
Not building on a position of strength in terms of ground capacity and favourable pricing making the most of currently how popular we are with a potential new generation of wolves fans. In recent months I've done quite a bit of travelling and have seen more Wolves shirts than ever. Other than the dirty half dozen, i'd argue that the next most popular shirt i've seen is us, but Villa are currently running us close.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their biggest mistake was selling us the dream of challenging the top 6, rebuilding Molineux, and generally giving us the impression Wolves were set to become a serious force again with money behind us. Selling that dream only raises expectations and hopes which naturally disappoints when it doesnt happen.

Last edited:

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worst mistakes (in no particular order):

Not strengthening the squad going into the Europa League season.

Deciding to back Nuno on a rebuild, but then splash all the cash on 2 players and not actually rebuild.

Deciding to fire Nuno and embark on a second successive rebuild, but then not backing the new manager in the transfer market.

The small squad strategy

January 22

Sending Adama to Barcelona

Scott replacing Thelwell, when we needed experience.

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Playing Hwang when there is better on the bench, stands, pub, park.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
'the statement that we will be the next man city', raising expectations, where a fans base thinks Europa League is a minimum........and subsequently rearing a fan base that wouldn't look out of place on Arsenal TV....

we've made some descisions that could have turned out better, or could have done different but they are generally mistakes that all football clubs make....we are not the only club that has made a mistake with signing a striker for instance.....did people also expect us to chain Jota to the gates....

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Squad succession planning, leaving us having to do a large amount of squad change all at once
I’m not really sure that is fair.
Could easily be argued the succession planning has been fairly good.
Sarkic lined up to succeed Rudy
Toti to succeed Saiss
RAN developed
Mosquera is in the pipeline.

Silva lined up to replace Jimenez eventually (jury still out on if that will be a success but clearly the planning is there).

Even tried to plan for Vitinha to come into the midfield, didn’t work out but there was certainly succession planning there.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With the benefit of hindsight recalling MGW from his Swansea loan was a mistake.
Finish last season with them, then play regularly for us this season is what ought to have happened.

T

TheConcourse

Selling Jota and replacing him with a kid who is nowhere near ready,and paying £10m for a useless defender upfront as part of the deal.

Selling Doherty and replacing him with somebody who cost twice as much, but who has less than 1% of his output in respect of goals scored or supplied.

Tell me I'm wrong!
Personally think you’re wrong on Semedo if you’re just measuring output.

Doherty had an in form Jota, Raul, Traore and a team that scored more goals generally.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve made plenty of mistakes.

They’ve also taken us higher than we’ve been in decades, so why are we focusing on the negatives again?

Because the decisions that were made that got us where we are were made in a previous cycle.

It's been 4 years since this squad was assembled and we've made mistake after mistake since, with very little "success", we've entering a period of uncertainty, it's hard to ignore the many mistakes the club have made since they last got it right.

T

TheConcourse

Because the decisions that were made that got us where we are were made in a previous cycle.

It's been 4 years since this squad was assembled and we've made mistake after mistake since, with very little "success", we've entering a period of uncertainty, it's hard to ignore the many mistakes the club have made since they last got it right.
They’ve made some bad signings. It happens.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worst mistakes (in no particular order):

Not strengthening the squad going into the Europa League season.

Deciding to back Nuno on a rebuild, but then splash all the cash on 2 players and not actually rebuild.

Deciding to fire Nuno and embark on a second successive rebuild, but then not backing the new manager in the transfer market.

The small squad strategy

January 22

Sending Adama to Barcelona

Scott replacing Thelwell, when we needed experience.
Adama was loaned not sold iirc, no obligation to buy either.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't think that is completely fair. Replacing RP with Sa. Bringing in Ait-Nouri.
Oh ****, that's it isn't it?

Cousins78

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Recruitment since the first season for sure. No centre back or midfielder signed and relying on a kid to be back up to our main striker is pathetic imo

Back
Top Bottom