Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Poll - Watch Jeff Shi's interview and vote !

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my opinion Wolves will have a very difficult season and they would have to work very hard to ensure they stay away from the relegation places. Hope I am wrong and our youths who may establish themselves as part of the first team squad, will be able to find their feet.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does matters though..at least if Jeff Shis words is anything to go by.
I might be wrong,but I call it as we have high hopes pinned to this E sport thing.
Jeff certainly seems to think so as I understand him.
Seems to me the basic strategy is that E-sport is supposed to be the main thing that will make the clubs revenue bigger and this will lead to us being able to buy better players and so on.

No one..Jeff included it seems..don´t seem to know exactly just how this will work.
I don´t know anything about E-sport..it is not for me.
However,making it a vital part of our strategy to increase our revenue must mean some people must have an idea of how much cash it can generate and our way to work it so that we can get this potential revenue.

I must be excused for feeling quite hesitant about the whole thing.First no one can explain how it will work..second no one seems to know what figures we are talking about here.
I´ll eat something nasty if this "E Sport project" will ever bring any substantial amount of money for the club to invest in a better squad.
My common sense might be a little bit oldfashioned these days..but it has always served me well up til this point..so I will continue to apply it whenever I feel necessary to do it.

E-Sport?
Nah..it will not work.
Okay, so let’s say it doesn’t work and we don’t gain anything from it, as long as it hasn’t cost the club money what’s the issue?

E-sports, music, fashion, whatever else they want to do, as long as it’s not to the detriment of the team on the pitch surely it’s all worth a punt if it’s something we think could give us an advantage over clubs around us who aren’t doing those things?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does matters though..at least if Jeff Shis words is anything to go by.
I might be wrong,but I call it as we have high hopes pinned to this E sport thing.
Jeff certainly seems to think so as I understand him.
Seems to me the basic strategy is that E-sport is supposed to be the main thing that will make the clubs revenue bigger and this will lead to us being able to buy better players and so on.

No one..Jeff included it seems..don´t seem to know exactly just how this will work.
I don´t know anything about E-sport..it is not for me.
However,making it a vital part of our strategy to increase our revenue must mean some people must have an idea of how much cash it can generate and our way to work it so that we can get this potential revenue.

I must be excused for feeling quite hesitant about the whole thing.First no one can explain how it will work..second no one seems to know what figures we are talking about here.
I´ll eat something nasty if this "E Sport project" will ever bring any substantial amount of money for the club to invest in a better squad.
My common sense might be a little bit oldfashioned these days..but it has always served me well up til this point..so I will continue to apply it whenever I feel necessary to do it.

E-Sport?
Nah..it will not work.
I can see where you are coming from.
But what does your common sense say we should do to find the money to make us a sustainable big club ?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some folk really can't wrap their head around a whole generation preferring e-sports to the real thing

Things have moved on from the Spectrum 48k

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think Jeff maybe could have come across better if he included ‘we are prepared to spend what we are allowed to under FFP for the right players’ which I still believe is the case.
His main message seemed to be managing expectations that our FFP allowance is so low compared to a top 6 club that we can’t challenge them but the only way to get closer is to grow the areas outside the footballing side such as brand, esports music etc..

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll be honest, at this point I'm not particularly bothered about what Jeff Shi says because I stopped believing anything that comes out of his mouth. I just hope Wolves can spend on proper first team players that can help us avoid a relegation battle.
Agreed. I stopped believing him moments after the Kenny Jackett fiasco - so about day 3 I think. I thought the interview was a total car crash for Jeff. I understood what he was getting at with what is ultimately a strategic plan to IPO Wolves based on a growth story over and above a sole dependency on TV broadcasting rights, but the way in which he delivered that message, in such a garbled and muddled way, was astonishingly poor, and with apparently little regard for the loyal fans who were here long before Fosun came along and will still be here long after Fosun has moved on. Fosun may not consider the ‘legacy fans’ as sufficient for the growth necessary to allow the ceiling to be raised for Wolves to compete with the top 6, and I understand the economics of the argument, but those legacy fans represent, along with the city, the old gold and black and the history of the football club, the very heart of what is Wolves in the eyes of the football community. Perhaps that simply doesn’t matter commercially going forward, but as custodians of the club I personally believe the owners, whoever they are, have a duty to retain and respect that legacy - and not dismiss it as being of ever-decreasing relevance to the ‘brand’. All of the things that Fosun disregarded as not enough is what I value most about Wolves. Again - perhaps that is simply not important enough to Fosun given their sole focus on the economics - but it matters an awful lot to me and for that reason I despised everything I heard in that interview.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed. I stopped believing him moments after the Kenny Jackett fiasco - so about day 3 I think. I thought the interview was a total car crash for Jeff. I understood what he was getting at with what is ultimately a strategic plan to IPO Wolves based on a growth story over and above a sole dependency on TV broadcasting rights, but the way in which he delivered that message, in such a garbled and muddled way, was astonishingly poor, and with apparently little regard for the loyal fans who were here long before Fosun came along and will still be here long after Fosun has moved on. Fosun may not consider the ‘legacy fans’ as sufficient for the growth necessary to allow the ceiling to be raised for Wolves to compete with the top 6, and I understand the economics of the argument, but those legacy fans represent, along with the city, the old gold and black and the history of the football club, the very heart of what is Wolves in the eyes of the football community. Perhaps that simply doesn’t matter commercially going forward, but as custodians of the club I personally believe the owners, whoever they are, have a duty to retain and respect that legacy - and not dismiss it as being of ever-decreasing relevance to the ‘brand’. All of the things that Fosun disregarded as not enough is what I value most about Wolves. Again - perhaps that is simply not important enough to Fosun given their sole focus on the economics - but it matters an awful lot to me and for that reason I despised everything I heard in that interview.
Great post, expressed my opinion far better than I could.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
Glad we have such pragmatic, sensible owners - focused on the longterm health of our club. They’re running it as a business not a toy and they’re not prepared to gamble on short term bets that placate a few thousand big mouths on social media.
Let’s hope then that we stay up next season because he won’t sell shares in the chump

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree with the importance of brand building.

However, what builds a global football brand is on field success.

Not ‘a piece here and a piece there’ from different countries to create attachment, and not esports. It may assist, in the same way that braking when you are about to have a head on collision can assist. But to think we will build a brand without progress and investment is drivel.

Yes you have your Leicester City and Lille stories - but they are magically rare stories for a reason.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Ok then. Stop having any aspirations of moving forward, then the club can embrace just the local fans. We can play Walsall twice a year, maybe if we are lucky the ****.

This post highlights the problem. A lot of fans seem to want champagne football on a lemonade budget. They want us to be knocking on the door of the top six, and "buying some ****ing players" but don't want to grow at all.
You don't understand. They ARE respecting the legacy of the club and fans. They are trying to grow the club to a point that we can challenge the top 6, which is NOT possible with the revenue generated by the 200k fans only. That is all he said. He DID NOT say he's disrespecting the 200k fans, and anyone who said he did either doesn't understand English, or has their own agenda to what they perceive they want to hear.

Decide what you want. Either it's no growth, and we slip back down the leagues because we are not buying the top players needed. Or there is growth, and we do it the way he is saying, because you cannot throw 100's of millions at a club of our size and stay within the FFP rules, however biased they are towards the top clubs. The club HAS to grow to go upwards.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is spot on, it is quite shocking to be honest that he would say some of these things.

Contrast this for example with Elliot Managements statement today on their sale of AC Milan. They are a perfect example of sustainable progress with fiscal responsibility, investing well and heavily in youth talent where required and keeping a sensible ceiling on wages. This won them the league.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Contrast this for example with Elliot Managements statement today on their sale of AC Milan. They are a perfect example of sustainable progress with fiscal responsibility, investing well and heavily in youth talent where required and keeping a sensible ceiling on wages. This won them the league.
Like Wolves do you mean? Take a look how much AC Milan generate in revenue and get back to me.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Really good post Codsall.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Genuinely unsure of your point.
They can spend wisely, but they have to abide by FFP too. When you generate more revenue you can spend more. Don't shoot the messenger, just blame UEFA and the big leagues for making it doubly hard for clubs outside the big teams.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok then. Stop having any aspirations of moving forward, then the club can embrace just the local fans. We can play Walsall twice a year, maybe if we are lucky the ****.

This post highlights the problem. A lot of fans seem to want champagne football on a lemonade budget. They want us to be knocking on the door of the top six, and "buying some ****ing players" but don't want to grow at all.
You don't understand. They ARE respecting the legacy of the club and fans. They are trying to grow the club to a point that we can challenge the top 6, which is NOT possible with the revenue generated by the 200k fans only. That is all he said. He DID NOT say he's disrespecting the 200k fans, and anyone who said he did either doesn't understand English, or has their own agenda to what they perceive they want to hear.

Decide what you want. Either it's no growth, and we slip back down the leagues because we are not buying the top players needed. Or there is growth, and we do it the way he is saying, because you cannot throw 100's of millions at a club of our size and stay within the FFP rules, however biased they are towards the top clubs. The club HAS to grow to go upwards.
Brother, you're so far in denial that you've reached Sudan.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Brother, you're so far in denial that you've reached Sudan.
Nope, i actually watched all the videos and listened to what they had to say without any agenda to take out of it. Just the actual things they said.
I'm not your brother btw, and i guess you are here all week?

And obviously you can have your opinion and that is fine. And i can have mine, and i think yours is absolute *******s.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As I said in my post, I fully understand and appreciate the challenges and understand the strategic approach that Jeff stumbled though. My point is the haphazard way in which he conveyed the message, and through that the dismissive attitude to what is at the very heart of Wolves. He could have easily communicated the growth strategy AND showed appropriate recognition and respect for the Wolves legacy. From what I could see he elected not to bother. As I said, in my view Fosun should see themselves in part as custodians of Wolves and through that see that they have a duty of responsibility for an illustrious part of the fabric of English football. They can do that and have a commercial growth strategy. It is not difficult to convey that if you believe it. Hey ho - it is clearly not a core part of the strategic thinking going forward as it doesn’t cut it in China or the US - so Jeff don’t let your employees speak about the importance of the fans etc etc and the difference they make - it all comes across as inconsistent and disingenuous.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay, so let’s say it doesn’t work and we don’t gain anything from it, as long as it hasn’t cost the club money what’s the issue?

E-sports, music, fashion, whatever else they want to do, as long as it’s not to the detriment of the team on the pitch surely it’s all worth a punt if it’s something we think could give us an advantage over clubs around us who aren’t doing those things?
Precisely - but that does leave less to moan about Chris.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yep - that was pretty much my take on it too. I listened to what he had to say and didn’t feel offended (as a long term fan). It gave me the feeling that Fosun are in this for the long run.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

As I said in my post, I fully understand and appreciate the challenges and understand the strategic approach that Jeff stumbled though. My point is the haphazard way in which he conveyed the message, and through that the dismissive attitude to what is at the very heart of Wolves. He could have easily communicated the growth strategy AND showed appropriate recognition and respect for the Wolves legacy. From what I could see he elected not to bother. As I said, in my view Fosun should see themselves in part as custodians of Wolves and through that see that they have a duty of responsibility for an illustrious part of the fabric of English football. They can do that and have a commercial growth strategy. It is not difficult to convey that if you believe it. Hey ho - it is clearly not a core part of the strategic thinking going forward as it doesn’t cut it in China or the US - so Jeff don’t let your employees speak about the importance of the fans etc etc and the difference they make - it all comes across as inconsistent and disingenuous.
You must have been listening to an alternative universe ask wolves video. He didn't disrespect Wolves legacy at all. I guess if you want to add 2 and 2 and make 10 you can construe anything he said into anything you wanted him to say, or not to say.
Do you think pumping in around 300 million, and getting the team from the championship to the PL, and keeping them there ever since is disrespect to Wolves? Not only keeping them there, but getting into Europe and an FA cup semi final. Is that really disrespect?
I think you need to put down the crack pipe in fairness.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You must have been listening to an alternative universe ask wolves video. He didn't disrespect Wolves legacy at all. I guess if you want to add 2 and 2 and make 10 you can construe anything he said into anything you wanted him to say, or not to say.
Do you think pumping in around 300 million, and getting the team from the championship to the PL, and keeping them there ever since is disrespect to Wolves? Not only keeping them there, but getting into Europe and an FA cup semi final. Is that really disrespect?
Care to itemise the £300m, my understanding is a purchase price of £30/35m plus converting a loan of £120m into equity?

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you need to read what I wrote.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

I think you need to read what I wrote.
I did, word for word. He did bother, which is why i replied the way i did.

"My point is the haphazard way in which he conveyed the message, and through that the dismissive attitude to what is at the very heart of Wolves. He could have easily communicated the growth strategy AND showed appropriate recognition and respect for the Wolves legacy. From what I could see he elected not to bother. As I said, in my view Fosun should see themselves in part as custodians of Wolves and through that see that they have a duty of responsibility for an illustrious part of the fabric of English football. They can do that and have a commercial growth strategy. It is not difficult to convey that if you believe it. Hey ho - it is clearly not a core part of the strategic thinking going forward as it doesn’t cut it in China or the US - so Jeff don’t let your employees speak about the importance of the fans etc etc and the difference they make - it all comes across as inconsistent and disingenuous."

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Care to itemise the £300m, my understanding is a purchase price of £30/35m plus converting a loan of £120m into equity?
Don't need to really on the former. All the players they have bought, the wages they have paid, the staff they have paid, including paying everyone during covid. There's a chunk right there.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad we have such pragmatic, sensible owners - focused on the longterm health of our club. They’re running it as a business not a toy and they’re not prepared to gamble on short term bets that placate a few thousand big mouths on social media.
It depends what you mean by gambling on short term bets. If you mean we should buy experienced players, we probably should as we need to replace experienced players e.g. possibly Neves and Moutinho. If you mean spending in January windows to make the push for Europe; we've had 2 seasons where we've had the chance to get into Europe but ****** it up. Spending there most certainly would have helped us. I don't think it's so much of a gamble anymore.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on. I actually think Fosun may spend big if the opportunity arises, but like always it will be with a view to achieving group goals or mitigating group risk. That's who we are now.

All the strategy stuff....well, great, that's your job Jeff. Identify value streams, weave them into the overall strategy, make lots of yen, happy days....but he over-egged the pudding going on and on about it and dismissing the core as 'incidental because we're becoming a corporate machine'.....I wonder whether he thought fans wanted to hear that, genuinely? Or simply doesn't give a toss? Who knows, but the seeming unwillingness to embrace our history as being part of our package, branding and story is disappointing - maybe I'm in the wrong, as other posters have stuff, Fosun are not multi billionaires for no reason..... but then they did appoint Lambert

Nige

Reaction score
Well if anyone from Wolves reads this forum..
To be honest I have watched all the interviews and they have all convinced me not to renew my season tickets for me and my daughter of 20 years.. Its not about football anymore.. Our CLUB as Jeff describes has gone... Its Not OUR club.. anymore... I don't care about corporate or e sports or Fans abroad.
Some of the most enjoyable years we have experienced have been in league one and the Championship.. its about entertainment and we are no longer being entertained and i for one Do not want to sell our soul to Corporate .. Yes I understand others will disagree and they have that right. I respect anyone's views on it. But its not for me.
Good Luck Wolves..
Whoever on the waiting list get the tickets Enjoy.
Which in itself is a disgrace and investment in the stadium to let people watch seems a poor second to video games

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some folk really can't wrap their head around a whole generation preferring e-sports to the real thing

Things have moved on from the Spectrum 48k

I don't think most people are bothered. What I do think is this was promoted as a revenue stream for the club - great!
When it was asked as to what level of revenue is being generated, it seemed to change from being a revenue stream to widening the Wolves brand appeal in the global market and increasing sponsorship opportunities etc - have we announced any new sponsorship deals?

I guess Wolves are funding the e-sports team…it would be nice to understand what we are actually getting back / generating in return that goes into the club - I think thats what people cant get their minds around.

Last edited:

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They can spend wisely, but they have to abide by FFP too. When you generate more revenue you can spend more. Don't shoot the messenger, just blame UEFA and the big leagues for making it doubly hard for clubs

Ok, let’s take a look at the facts.

In 2019, the last full year pre pandemic unaffected by limitations on gates, the following happened;

AC Milan revenue 206.3m Euros. Average Euro to pound in 2019 was 0.87. This leaves £179.48m, rounded down to £179m.

Wolves revenue for this time period was £172.5m.

A different of £6.5m

So, don’t shoot the messenger, but I’m afraid your comment is without foundation.

As they say in less salubrious parts of Wolverhampton - chat **** get banged. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member drgr12429

Ok, let’s take a look at the facts.

In 2019, the last full year pre pandemic unaffected by limitations on gates, the following happened;

AC Milan revenue 206.3m Euros. Average Euro to pound in 2019 was 0.87. This leaves £179.48m, rounded down to £179m.

Wolves revenue for this time period was £172.5m.

A different of £6.5m

So, don’t shoot the messenger, but I’m afraid your comment is without foundation.

As they say in less salubrious parts of Wolverhampton - chat **** get banged.
AC Milan commercial revenue in 2021 69 million euros.

Wolves commercial revenue in 2021 27 million euros.

This is what Wolves are trying to grow. TV money is by position in the league. We will have more this year as 2021 is based on 13th position.
https://www2.deloitte.com/content/d.../sports-business-group/deloitte-uk-dfml22.pdf

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
AC Milan commercial revenue in 2021 69 million euros.

Wolves commercial revenue in 2021 27 million euros.

This is what Wolves are trying to grow. TV money is by position in the league. We will have more this year as 2021 is based on 13th position.
https://www2.deloitte.com/content/d.../sports-business-group/deloitte-uk-dfml22.pdf

You ain't banging **** all, apart from your sister.
Oh dear. You make missing the point an art form. No wonder you are such a Shi fan.

Also that’s a really sharp comeback. Did you learn that whilst failing your GCSE in general studies? ...

Stratman Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can bang on about Korean or Mexican fans, e-sports, wolves records or fashion or whatever all of this is for nought if the team doesn't win. Many are happy being midtable and I am bewildered that wolves have even reached this but 1) you need to win trophies to attract growth for the "brand" 2) nearly all teams who aren't Everton and big 6 have been relegated from the prem at some point. While self sufficiency meme is cute as a strategy to express to supporters about why transfer windows are terrible, isn't going to achieve the first point required to build the brand.

Now if Jeff Shi were just forthright and honest, most supporters would be fine. However he keeps talking about point 1 while acting as if young and hu- sorry, I mean self sufficiency, will do it. And it won't. Sorry. You have to keep spending just to tread here at this level. It isn't fair but that is what football has become. City didnt "become the brand" by enjoying mid table.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont think what you are saying is correct. People are imo, rightly bothered that the brand is more important to him that the football club. I doubt there is one person on this board who doesnt get we need to diversify and increase our revenue streams. What they dont like is that he taking for granted the supporters who rock up every week.

Where i think he isnt reading the room, is in how he is conducting himself in an Ask Wolves interview. Its aimed at Wolverhampton Wanderers supporters, not Wolves " Brand " followers. All these people who follow E-sports, follow Wolves on social media, only watch Wolves because we have a Korean/Mexican/Portuguese/Moroccan etc player arent going to be watching Ask Wolves. They dont care What Bruno Lage, or Jeff Shi, or Scott Sellars or Vinny Clark is saying. Jeff should be speaking to the audience the interviews are targeting. By all means, tell us about how the club is trying to increase revenue and expand etc, but dont try to push the football side of things to one side at the same time.

As others have said, this Wolves brand he keeps banging on about wont work without a reasonably successful and entertaining football team. They still need to be mindful while they are growing the brand, they still need to grow the cornerstone of the brand, and thats Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I can agree on that´s it "worth a punt".
Bigger problem is if this is our main idea how to expande the clubs revenues and it proves not to get us anything.
We don´t know at this point..but to me it seems an unrealistic idea that it will get the club any money to speak of.
I might be wrong of course.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see where you are coming from.
But what does your common sense say we should do to find the money to make us a sustainable big club ?
I really can´t see that happening without us being at least fairly successful on the pitch.
I think we are regressing in this department.
The way other clubs invests,I fear we will not be a top ten club in the near future.
I really don´t see a way for us to expand our revenues in a big way from a position tablewise like that.
This said,I´ve been a fan since the mid 70´s.We were never going to win any leaguetitle back then either...but one always had hope for some cup glory..which indeed happened 1980.
This means we should go for the cups in a much bigger way than what we recently has.Even reaching the FA Cup semi against Watford we did it with Ruddy in goal for example.

You take away any chance the club has to win something..then interest will start to fade.It is a matter of time and a club that cannot win anything will not be attractive to new international fans either..Esport or no Esport.We cannot forget this...allthough probably a discussion for other threads I suppose.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Oh dear. You make missing the point an art form. No wonder you are such a Shi fan.

Also that’s a really sharp comeback. Did you learn that whilst failing your GCSE in general studies? ...
The irony on the former, and i'm not a fan, i just don't twist words to make an agenda up.

Back
Top Bottom