Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Joao Palhinha & Mendes

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Donk, but he is limited.

Pace wise they may be similar, however Palhinha's footballing brain is quicker, so he gains yards on him.

Having Palhinha as the 6 means we can have an expressive 8.
Agreed. Need someone to be able to pick the ball up and drive forward.

Depends on formation but 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 need players to be able to play this

Has_Talisca_Signed

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didn’t realise he is 27 next month.

Most likely no resale value, but we will get him at his prime for a number of years.

So let me get this straight a double pivot is pretty much a 4-2-1-3? With the two holding midfielders to cover the defence and then a central attacking mid to join in with the front 3??

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t realise he is 27 next month.

Most likely no resale value, but we will get him at his prime for a number of years.

So let me get this straight a double pivot is pretty much a 4-2-1-3? With the two holding midfielders to cover the defence and then a central attacking mid to join in with the front 3??
Yes. ‘Double pivot’ is 2 defensive midfielders.
What you’re describing is normally referred to as 4231. But yeah, same ****.
Nuno’s 343 was essentially a double pivot, just unfortunately the 2 in the middle had plenty of nous to cover that much ground, but not so much in the physical attributes.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pity Burnley have gone down - he'd have come in useful against them.
Was thinking he would have come in handy against Citeh. Might have got sent off, but i fail to believe he'd have let De Bruyne score 4.
Sporting did get a tonking from City in the CL though.

Reactions: Ned
D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Exactly.

I always so badly wanted a midfield 3 of Neves, Mouts and Palhinha. He will (if we get him) hopefully do what Donk so often (I am sorry to say) just could not do.

It amazes me that some people think Palhinha is no faster than Donk. Of course these are just his best bits.

But even if we get him, we still need a play maker. For me Palhinha is an upgrade on Donk, not a replacement for Neves.
That midfield isn't that balanced imo, no proper ball progressor in there.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree be just as limited as the 3 we already had ..... palhinha n neves in a two would balance ..but a 3 with moutinho it wouldn't at all help the goals for coloum.....
Not sure we even need a 'double pivot'. Citeh use Rodri in front of their two CHs, Barca use Busquets in the same role. Pahlinha looks capable of doing the same, but we need to upgrade at least one CH.

W

WasStefan

This guy is NOT a replacement for Neves. Two very different players

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't wait for Sellars to slag him off at the beginning of 23/24 saying he'd lined up a deal for Leon Goretzka but Bruno preferred Palinha, sneering into his pint of Harp while giving Spiers the side eye as the former professional journalist jizzes over his Fosun agenda

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This guy is NOT a replacement for Neves. Two very different players

He is in the essence of the position he will take up on paper but in terms of their attributes that they offer they are very different. Palhihna is more like Matic, tall strong defensive midfielder who wins all his 1v1's with a not neves level but decent passing range and technique where as Neves is a a Jorginho type defensive midfielder, deep playmaker type with outstanding technique and range of pass whilst being okay defensively but normally performs better when next to a Matic type.

The club clearly wants to alter what our midfield options bring to the table based off players we are linked to like Palhihna, Nico, Nunes, Sanches, Decoure it sounds like we want a excellent defensive player who can drop back infront of the defence to protect them whilst alongside him is someone good defensively but can carry the ball forward and break the lines to create panic and space for us to run into, two roles we currently have nobody suited to doing.

R

reanswolf

That midfield isn't that balanced imo, no proper ball progressor in there.
I do know what you are saying, still no attacking CM, but in my view he would be so much more effective than Donk in every area that Neves would be able to be more mobile, but yes I accept that it would still lack an attacking CM but sooo much better than the slow, static midfield we currently have.

W

WasStefan

He is in the essence of the position he will take up on paper but in terms of their attributes that they offer they are very different. Palhihna is more like Matic, tall strong defensive midfielder who wins all his 1v1's with a not neves level but decent passing range and technique where as Neves is a a Jorginho type defensive midfielder, deep playmaker type with outstanding technique and range of pass whilst being okay defensively but normally performs better when next to a Matic type.

The club clearly wants to alter what our midfield options bring to the table based off players we are linked to like Palhihna, Nico, Nunes, Sanches, Decoure it sounds like we want a excellent defensive player who can drop back infront of the defence to protect them whilst alongside him is someone good defensively but can carry the ball forward and break the lines to create panic and space for us to run into, two roles we currently have nobody suited to doing.
Jorginho comparison is void. Jorginho gets assists. Palhinha does not

A perfect midfield would be R. Sanches - Palhinha - Neves

But if we are to go 433 tough decisions need to be made re Coady. We won’t sell Coady. Therefore we are stuck with 532 or 523.

I’ve long suggested we should consider Coady again in the deep lying midfield position. It’s a similar position to what he plays now just 15 yards further up the pitch. But signing Palhinha negates that option.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But if we are to go 433 tough decisions need to be made re Coady. We won’t sell Coady. Therefore we are stuck with 532 or 523.

I’ve long suggested we should consider Coady again in the deep lying midfield position. It’s a similar position to what he plays now just 15 yards further up the pitch. But signing Palhinha negates that option.
In a 433 I think Coady would be much much better at the back than he ever would in midfield.
I wouldn’t discount the prospect of him in a back 4. But I would totally discount the idea of him in midfield.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 at the back isn't for every game. Some games require 3-5-2 or 3-4-3. It's not a one size fits all league. 5 sub rule is certainly going to help us next season.
Not if we've only got 3 kids on the bench.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Noooooooo! Noooooooo! Noooooooo!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In a 433 I think Coady would be much much better at the back than he ever would in midfield.
I wouldn’t discount the prospect of him in a back 4. But I would totally discount the idea of him in midfield.
I don’t get the fascination with it. He’s nowhere near good enough on the ball to sit in the midfield. There’s a difference between being able to hit cross field balls and being able to take a touch under pressure and see intricate passes through the middle. He’s not a ball winner either.

It’s just a crazy idea. Not good crazy.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Coady wasn’t good enough to play in centre mid in the championship.

He’s far too slow and lacks the ability to play further forward, at centre half in a 5 he gets the time and space to make his raking passes in centre midfield he’d have to earn those two things.

D

Deleted member sbk12944

The previous poster said Neves compared to Jorginho and Palhinha to more Matic style if you read it correctly. Didn’t compare Palhinha and Jorginho at all.

Palhinha would be ideal the base of a midfield 3 if we went 4-3-3. I think Coady will stay and compete with the right side of defence in a 4 or be a backup for the base of a midfield 3 “if” required as I think Coady is the one that should stay purely on him as a person and a professional.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 at the back is ingrained throughout the club right down through the age groups, I don't think we will move away from that sadly

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely a play breaker more than play maker,but its what we need
lets hope this deal gets done though before we start building a formation around him

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 at the back is ingrained throughout the club right down through the age groups, I don't think we will move away from that sadly
It doesn't also have the element of risk attached.....think it would take big money at the back to change it myself....

Signing for instance, inacio the young centre back, probably wouldn't be enough to do that in my opinion and chucking a young lad into a back 4 situation could be very costly...

I think it's more realistic to find more a few more goals from wide forwards, more physicality and legs in midfield etc , than a wholesale system changed.....maybe look at it in certain situations, against lesser teams at home (maybe)......

If we signed the kid centre back Inacio , let him bed into the club n system first before wholesale change.

We would be cannon fodder to the better teams, over half of the league with a back 4 , without a system that was designed to frustrate teams..

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I do know what you are saying, still no attacking CM, but in my view he would be so much more effective than Donk in every area that Neves would be able to be more mobile, but yes I accept that it would still lack an attacking CM but sooo much better than the slow, static midfield we currently have.
Yeah not even attacking just a guy who moves the ball with pace through the lines

Back
Top Bottom