Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fosun out?

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So people are happy with our assets been sold over the last 3 years and 0 invested back???

Would you also be happy with relegation next year as that’s where that team is going without investment

Ps…. We never had it as good yawwwwwwwn!!
I'd be absolutely fuming if our assets had been sold and no investment had been forthcoming.

Similarly if we had shown signs that we are relegation certainties.

Fortunately neither of those scenarios have happened!

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
My memory isn't what it used to be but didn't they buy the club for 30mill? ,not sure how much they have invested but if it's now worth 300mill plus that's an awfully big profit

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
FFS

Been going since early 80s.

Mostly been ****e all my life

Last five years best it’s ever been

And now people
Want fosun to spunk £1bn or they can **** off

We don’t need fans who think like that
Sure we never had it as good

kentish wolf

Reaction score
I don't want Fosun out but mid table mediocrity looks likely and as we know a that a few bad results and the dreaded R word appears before you know it.
I think that Fosun have lost interest for various reasons.
and that is such a shame because we could have been a big hitter instead of an also ran.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The ordinary supporter can see the writing on the wall ,we are getting left behind by others clubs ambitions on and off the pitch . For them to say otherwise was the hardest thing for me to take. Just be upfront about it and honest to supporters who go to the games.
Did you not listen to Jeff?

It is very clear doesn’t really put much consideration or actually care for us local fans….. it is all about the Mexican and South Korean fans that only support us because we are the current home of a national treasure. To not see that is a significant worry for me that they are placing importance on markets that are so transient in terms of support and spending on shirts….

His dismissal of fan opinion against his vision was very arrogant for a man who knows **** all about football and shown in the last few transfer windows he is significantly out of his depth and has a massive knowledge gap in the area of what it takes to build a successful club.

He must have loved it when the fans who can cause actual brand damage booed the team and left in their thousands long before the final whistle this season because of his decisions killing our season and chances of making Europe lol. But hey ho, we are only the “local fans”

I was appalled about what he said in his interview to be honest and i was very pro-fosun before….

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does look on the face of it that they have reached the same point Morgan reached, ironically, couple of years before he sold the club. Albeit, we as a club are in that much of a better position that it isn't even a comparison. They have got us to a point where we are a self sustainable, solid PL club. That is to there credit. It is what we have always wanted.

It is easy to sit back and say "right, they have taken us as far as they can, it is time for someone or something to buy the club and take us to the next level". That is very easy and almost deluded to suggest really.

I must admit though, I am slightly envious of the kind of money the Villa owners are prepared to pump in. They haven't spent it particularly well I must admit, but you do get the feeling if they get it right the next few windows, along with Newcastle, Everton etc we could become cannon fodder almost.

I don't think most fans have really demanded much of fosun. It is just to simply strengthen from a position of strength. Countless transfer windows literally just 1, 2 signings tops to improve the 11 would have us potentially pushing the top 6 and beyond now. Instead we are now facing having to strengthen from a very weak position. Sellars and Shi have done themselves no favours there, especially mixed in with the utter *******s they have came out with to justify there reasons.
I don’t think we are a solid sustainable club though.

The whole spine of the team needs replacing either due to age / sales / or to change the tactics.

Maybe in 2-3 years once we get a younger group in and have a solid core - but right now we are probably one of the most unstable clubs in the league.

We need 3 signings without any outgoing s. Then neves, ruddy, saiss, traore?, moutinho? Leaving = 8 new signings.

Except the promoted clubs - I’m not sure who requires to turnover their squad like that.

January was the biggest missed opportunity of the fosun era.

June / July could be the catalyst for the downfall of the fosun era.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think if they could stay and get some investment then maybe that will help.
They appear to be sensible but that won't really keep us progressing at least quickly anyway.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think we are a solid sustainable club though.

The whole spine of the team needs replacing either due to age / sales / or to change the tactics.

Maybe in 2-3 years once we get a younger group in and have a solid core - but right now we are probably one of the most unstable clubs in the league.

We need 3 signings without any outgoing s. Then neves, ruddy, saiss, traore?, moutinho? Leaving = 8 new signings.

Except the promoted clubs - I’m not sure who requires to turnover their squad like that.

January was the biggest missed opportunity of the fosun era.

June / July could be the catalyst for the downfall of the fosun era.
Re your last paragraph, it could also be the biggest upturn in Fosun history depending on how full your glass is.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I don't like fosun and I don't much like Shi.

I don't like the owners' links to the ccp.
I don't like the derisive attitude shi has to local fans.
I don't like our transfer strategy.
I don't like the mincing of words to justify lack of ambition.

None of these are good reasons for wanting Fosun gone. This is, by and large, the reality for a lot of Premier League clubs.

We are at least run safely and sustainably and there is a sensible commercial strategy building the brand.

If there were a magical owner who could spend more money and understood the important of community and local culture to our club - great. But i don't think they're very common.

I think If Fosun sell, we run the risk of getting an even more mercenary owner.
Yeah, better the devil you know in modern football.

Look at the vermin asset stripper who've took over Burnley

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The biggest issue I have with Fosun is managing expectations. Jeff Shi is an astute businessman but he is a novice football club chairman. His comments and Fosuns actions 5 years ago set levels of expectation far higher than they should have been in reality. That first Nuno season was dreamland with the likes of Neves and Jota even Costa and Cav. Then Raul , Patricio and Moutinho the following year , yes I was dreaming of the big time and challenging the top six. A cup semi final and two seventh place finishes I was completely absorbed in the hype. Thats because Jeff re-iterated it with his comments. The Man City one springs to mind but there were others.

Then after Fabio/ Semedo there was a noticeable change. Its as if reality had kicked in for Jeff too. Instead of coming out and saying it though , he blamed FFP on our lack of business and highlighted the need to be self funding. That was a shift from the first two years, no doubt about it. He has surrounded himself with a team that he trusts because they seems to say " yes Jeff" a lot. That is up to him. In my experience its good to have some subordinates who can challenge the way you think as it can provide a valid and pertinent alternative. If you do what you have always done you will get what you have always got. Jeff speaks about the brand and expanding the brand beyond the realms of Wolverhampton and the 200k population and in the medium to long term he is right. But to do that you have to have a brand that people want to buy into and we are not there yet. We need to win a cup and qualify for Europe more often to be that brand. We need to be the 7th team in the league to be that brand. We need to be that team and have that level of success to attract the right calibre of player with sufficient quality to maintain that position or improve on it. Fosun got their first two years very right once they got Nuno, then the last three years they have sat back on their laurels and other teams have caught up. Newcastle , West Ham, Leicester I would argue have overtaken us and Brighton have caught us up. So realistically with our current squad 11th is our best likely finish. So if you then take Neves , Moutinho, Saiss, Troare and maybe more out of the squad you need to invest in sufficient quality to at least maintain that position. That is the challenge facing Wolves recruitment and management teams now. It is essential that they recognise the importance of their next moves and essential they recognise that the inactivity of the last 3 years has actually cost us league places. It is also vital in my view that Wolves look at the cup competitions with real intent. Both of them. None of this shadow squad rubbish. Our cup capitulation to Norwich was scandalous last season and it was the home game that started the sighs and groans on the terraces, even though Lage won MOTM soon after. Once we hit 40 points it was season pretty much over. That cannot happen again. If Brand is the key word then brand success and therefore brand expansion requires a consistent buy in to the brand. The people of Wolverhampton already have that buy in , its their local club so Jeff , treat them kindly. Dont shaft them with season ticket hikes that make paltry sums. Basically 1 league position better and you could have frozen prices, Jeff. Reward loyalty and then you get generational buy in to the brand. Build a successful team that challenges for cups and Europe and you pick up fans from other parts of the country looking to get into following a premier club. I am forever surprised when I hear London accents Man City supporters! That never ever happened 30 years ago. Liverpool and Man United yes, but they were the dominant teams in the 80s and 90s. But Man City? No-where.

So , I apologise. This couple of lines turned into an essay! Jeff is a good businessman who probably has a good business acumen and ethos and who has a long term plan. He has never been that long suffering football fan aching for some success and until he understands that feeling he will struggle to have empathy with our major fanbase.
Jeff 3 years ago said that Wolves had to be self-sufficient at that it wasn't time to go to Fosun for more free money. Was stupid to come in and proclaim the next City stuff but end of the day people need to get real a bit and move on from that, you'd be looking at billions of investment and then all the fake sponsorship's that makes it look like City actually generate revenue.

I've posted before but the top 6 are untouchable, over the course of a few seasons without outliers wage spend dictates league position almost always so can't break into those league positions consistently which makes the level of investment required unachievable other than a bolter season here or there.

We could battle for 7th every year though, Europa Conference League would be a good target I think. Trophy that is winnable as well.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

So people are happy with our assets been sold over the last 3 years and 0 invested back???

Would you also be happy with relegation next year as that’s where that team is going without investment

We've had a net spend or at worst a flat spend every season we've come back into the premier league. What 0 invested back?

Wish people would stick to the facts.

And there is "investment" again, should be some logic in the coding of the website that turns that word and ambition into "free money".

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
We have been on a hell of a ride with Fosun, we made the promised land but now stuck in no man’s land, no way to go forward as we cannot compete with the ‘big6’. Others have tried and year on year, without mad, mad investment it’s just not sustainable. We are in our natural position, no chance of winning the league and just the hope of a good cup run and occasional Wembley run out. I presume it looks a bit boring on paper but only 20 teams can be in the premier. I’m sure the fans of Wednesday, WBA and Sunderland would love to be in our position.

I for one don’t believe just throwing money and wages at players to even try to complete is necessarily the way to go. Yes Villa are doing this but the money spent and the age of the players they are buying that have no resale value would for me be a little concerning.

We look to be selling our crown jewel- Neves, he needs to be playing on the bigger stage and I for one wish him well going forward with his career.

The playing staff does need a major refresh but at the moment, I do fear for the season coming and believe we will be fighting the wrong end of the table ( hopefully 3 worse teams than us).

I’m sure the owners when we were purchased was hoping for a Portuguese style club, great youth players coming through that can be sold for a profit and also make waves in the first team, in realism we are still years away from this happening, our U23s are improving but apart from a very few are unlikely to make the step up as needed. We are all anxious and want the club to progress but this will be a steady, plod approach with the safety of the club not being jeopardised. Yes, I am over 50 and seen the slip down the league in the 80s, the bankruptcy, The Bhatti’s, Sir Jack throwing his cash in to bring us back. The Fosun era so far as only been positive, so they have my backing at the moment. Fosun are trying to be innovative in their approach to raise funds and Wolves exposure worldwide, and I’m sure they have the club at heart. Maybe, a scuffle the wrong end of the table may well be the wake up call needed for them to start to reinvest in the 1st team.

Last edited:

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score

What assets are these?? Utter stupid, are you really this stupid.

Just can't believe people that talk utter *******s...

People are so weird and believe things that aren't there or true. Got to be confirmation bias at its worst...

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id be interested to hear who people would like to replace Fosun
If we look back over the years have we really had any better owners?

I cant recall who owned us in the 50s,60s and 70s in fact my earliest recollection of owners was when the Bhaatis bought us out,im sure others have a better memory than i lol

Just a short synopsis of the next 50 years

The John Ireland stand was built,basically ruining the club,Dougan and the Bhaatis took over, running what was left into the ground leaving us with 3 sides of the ground condemned,the team in the 4th division,crowds of 4k if we were lucky and on the brink of extinction
In steps the council and the Gallahers/Asda to keep us afloat,Bully is signed and the comeback is on

We get back to the second tier late 80s,Jack Hayward takes us on for the rest of the century where we remained in the second tier
We eventually get back to the Prem Jack pulls the plug and back down we go

In steps Morgan,we again get back to the Prem and again dont invest enough to survive
Fosun take over and in 2 seasons get us back and we have the most success since the early 80s and to my knowledge still are a Prem side 5 years later

So for all the Fosun out mob i say this be careful what you wish for lol

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id be interested to hear who people would like to replace Fosun
If we look back over the years have we really had any better owners?

I cant recall who owned us in the 50s,60s and 70s in fact my earliest recollection of owners was when the Bhaatis bought us out,im sure others have a better memory than i lol

Just a short synopsis of the next 50 years

The John Ireland stand was built,basically ruining the club,Dougan and the Bhaatis took over, running what was left into the ground leaving us with 3 sides of the ground condemned,the team in the 4th division,crowds of 4k if we were lucky and on the brink of extinction
In steps the council and the Gallahers/Asda to keep us afloat,Bully is signed and the comeback is on

We get back to the second tier late 80s,Jack Hayward takes us on for the rest of the century where we remained in the second tier
We eventually get back to the Prem Jack pulls the plug and back down we go

In steps Morgan,we again get back to the Prem and again dont invest enough to survive
Fosun take over and in 2 seasons get us back and we have the most success since the early 80s and to my knowledge still are a Prem side 5 years later

So for all the Fosun out mob i say this be careful what you wish for lol

I posted this on the stadium thread, but it’s perhaps more relevant here.

I agree with that to a large extent. Think things likely are not playing out exactly as they’d hoped when they embarked on buying a club. Brexit changed the player dynamic a little, as was mentioned in the videos. The pandemic through a major spanner which affected sentiment and risk in investing in football. The geopolitical relationship between China and U.K., alongside the tilt in Chinese policy towards football, affected the attractiveness of Chinese investment in football, as we’ve seen play out at other clubs.

You can see how this has all manifested itself in the change in public statements from Jeff over the years, and in the strategy being followed since we first gained promotion. Instead of a rapid push for Europe as a next phase, and a massive expansion of the stadium, we’ve seen consolidation, stability and lower cost strategies to grow the brand outside of football. We’ve also seen a strategy of selling a large minority stake to a development partner replaced with a potential IPO, likely because they couldn’t secure a sufficiently attractive partner.

Fosun and Jeff have done well not just to cut and run like others, but rather to adapt their strategy into a more holding plan to retain and incrementally grow the club and their asset value. But supporters have heard the old strategy and dreams, and now see that’s off the table for the foreseeable future, and naturally we’re disappointed.

HKWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe it’s time for Fosun to go. People can go on about “be careful what you wish for” etc, but people said that when we had Hayward and Morgan and did we get worse? No.

The simple thing is this, the project is either over (Maybe the Shanghai lockdowns have sent Guo crazy), or Guo doesn’t realise we are being run by clueless morons that are totally out of touch with the fans of a FOOTBALL not an e-sports club.

I fully accept that all the fashion brand, esports, record labels etc hold merit and could have a potential benefit to the football club BUT, I think they are losing focus on the real priority and the real tool to increase brand exposure; the football team doing well.

For all of this talk about not being able to compete with the top 6 etc, it’s utter *******s. We have been a couple of players away from storming into the top 4 never mind the top 6. We didn’t/don’t need to spend billions, we needed to not sell Jota, gift away Traore and to buy a ****ing defender that can actually defend and a midfield that can run.

What we are seeing now is decline and it is self inflicted. We haven’t improved the stadium, the training ground (unless you include a pitch with the huge profits Sellars boasted about (500k?!!) from Goncalves), or the team. We made better signings and ttracted better players/managers in the championship!!!! (Lopetegui, Nuno, Neves, Jota, Boly).

For all the good work Fosun have done they are undoing it at pace. We have a weaker squad and team than we had 4 years ago, the fanbase is no longer together and there are no signs of investment in anything football related. We have become the new Southampton but with a **** academy run by the failed youth coach Sellars.

Shi can talk as much as he likes about FFP ceilings, but if you don’t even try to get near the ceiling you already have, it doesn’t matter if the ceiling becomes 10 times higher, it’s still irrelevant. FFP is a smokescreen and an excuse that he lied about last year, and this year he has reworded it in a way that’s not a lie (there is a ceiling), but it’s deceptive because we aren’t even trying to touch it. They just don’t want to invest it’s plain and simple to see.

Thanks for everything pre-Covid Jeffrey, time to go and focus on what’s seems to be your true passion, watching people playing on PlayStations.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
They have left the manager hung out to dry with this squad, despite the miracles we’ve achieved this season.

Some of the decisions in the last two seasons are ridiculous , and there’s no signs of this changing

Yes and you have no proposal yet on an alternative, I guess. The alternatives I guess are: 1. Sell to the type of limited wealth cowboy or con artist that other clubs are plagued with and what did for us with the Bhattis. We ain't that attractive to get the Sultan of Brunei or an American group (aren't they all perfect?) as proven by the period from 1980 to when Fosun bought us. 2. Pray if you are religious. 3. Go and join the Chinese Communist Party and rise to the top. Then change their decision so that Fosun and others can return to investing in football abroad. 4. Become a luminary in FIFA, UEFA or the Prem leadership and change the rules to permit us , Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Leicester etc to do a Chelsea or Man City. May I point out that this won't work because of the control of Chinese investments by the CCP let alone the potential reaction from FIFA and UEFA..

As Wolves have explained through various sources they are constrained and are being creative and innovative so that we can compete medium to long term against the cosseted 6.

If you are ****ed off with Shi, Sellars etc then apply for their jobs or make a wonder proposal. they are the professionals we have and they are learning.

We are in the Deloitte top 20 in the world for the first time, we have finished in the top 10 for 3 out of 4 years, we have played in Europe for the first time in 40 years, we have the Women as Champions, U23s are promoted to the highest level, U18s got to the semi of the FA Youth Cup. We have had staff growth - is it from 200 to 300? during the Fosun era? We have also been seriously done by bad luck, Covid. David Luiz and VAR.

Yes, we are all impatient, yes we want to break through to the top 6 just like the impossible task others are hoping to do whilst also failing, Yes, we all want cheap tickets for a 50K new stadium on the site of the Mol.

BE PATIENT! And don't throw it away screaming, 'but they said...,', 'I want...', 'Not good enough', '***** is a ****' etc.

KTF UTW and support our growth and the current move into a new cycle.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I posted this on the stadium thread, but it’s perhaps more relevant here.
Yeah, look at other Chinese owners. Like our illustrious neighbours, Inter Milan etc. Just bailed and left them screwed.

If Fosun wanted to they could have asset stripped the squad with negative net spend and then recalled the debt we owed them and then dumped us for a knockdown price and made out with a profit.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've essentially taken us to the edge of success and backed out, which makes it so much worse. In other words, we got past the foreplay but couldn't seal the deal.
This is exactly how I see it! It is like getting into Europe and the ffp fine afterwards has scared them off

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grateful to them for getting us out of the champ and the first couple of seasons up where they genuinely appeared to show ambition. That's all over now and it's become run by amateurs. I hope they sell up to someone with deep pockets to push us on. The sooner the better.
How far are deep pockets going to take us with FFP? Are we going to be an Everton?

Nobody is permanently breaking the current top six unless they get similar income, which I'm sorry to say, means having a model that generates its own wealth. What do you suggest we do to create that?

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not Fosun out but that doesn't mean I can't be unhappy with some of the things they are doing or aren't doing in some cases, such as the disregard for local fans in the Ask Wolves interview, it isn't just insulting it's incredibly myopic, you just can't replace the passion and loyalty of your core base. "Fans" in Mexico and China are fleeting, yeah we've probably sold a dozen or so shirts to some Mexicans because of Raul but that doesn't justify disregarding the local support who are the lifeblood of every club in the world, we will still be here when all of them have ****ed off, we are the club.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes and you have no proposal yet on an alternative, I guess. The alternatives I guess are: 1. Sell to the type of limited wealth cowboy or con artist that other clubs are plagued with and what did for us with the Bhattis. We ain't that attractive to get the Sultan of Brunei or an American group (aren't they all perfect?) as proven by the period from 1980 to when Fosun bought us. 2. Pray if you are religious. 3. Go and join the Chinese Communist Party and rise to the top. Then change their decision so that Fosun and others can return to investing in football abroad. 4. Become a luminary in FIFA, UEFA or the Prem leadership and change the rules to permit us , Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Leicester etc to do a Chelsea or Man City. May I point out that this won't work because of the control of Chinese investments by the CCP let alone the potential reaction from FIFA and UEFA..

As Wolves have explained through various sources they are constrained and are being creative and innovative so that we can compete medium to long term against the cosseted 6.

If you are ****ed off with Shi, Sellars etc then apply for their jobs or make a wonder proposal. they are the professionals we have and they are learning.

We are in the Deloitte top 20 in the world for the first time, we have finished in the top 10 for 3 out of 4 years, we have played in Europe for the first time in 40 years, we have the Women as Champions, U23s are promoted to the highest level, U18s got to the semi of the FA Youth Cup. We have had staff growth - is it from 200 to 300? during the Fosun era? We have also been seriously done by bad luck, Covid. David Luiz and VAR.

Yes, we are all impatient, yes we want to break through to the top 6 just like the impossible task others are hoping to do whilst also failing, Yes, we all want cheap tickets for a 50K new stadium on the site of the Mol.

BE PATIENT! And don't throw it away screaming, 'but they said...,', 'I want...', 'Not good enough', '***** is a ****' etc.

KTF UTW and support our growth and the current move into a new cycle.

There’s certain key things that need addressing with this strategy

- price rises - this is unacceptable if we are to accept the long term strategy and the fact we may not see any progression

- signings for exposure - no more . It’s a complete farce that we have a player in the team because of potential exposure in Korea .

- astute signings - no more 35 million on Silva and 30 on Semedo . That’s 5-6 decent players we could have signed for that budget with the right scouting

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume most on here haven’t listened to the other 10 sections of Ask Wolves apart from just Jeff’s. They form a coherent narrative and If you had you would have heard plenty about local fans. Russell Jones gives a very helpful explanation as to why we are pushing for a global fan base and the value that brings. There are discussions also about what E-sports means as well as the record label. They explain, it may be too many syllables for some, that we are 600% behind Spurs and 1000% behind Man U in terms of revenue. To compete with those teams we have to grow our revenue. Growing our revenue increases how much we can spend and our transfer ceiling. That will not happen over night. We are looking at doing it differently to how other teams have done it by leveraging the Wolves brand to generate revenue. What we are not going to do, because it’s not sustainable, is throw £100m a year at it. Firstly because you’d breach FFP and secondly as others have proved it doesn’t get you very far. What is consistently said across all the interviews is that everything is being done so we can sustainably compete with top 6 rather than relying on them to have a poor season and is to have everything go right.

I know this won’t agree with some of the agendas on here but could I suggest listening to the interviews rather than just guessing what’s was said.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s certain key things that need addressing with this strategy

- price rises - this is unacceptable if we are to accept the long term strategy and the fact we may not see any progression

- signings for exposure - no more . It’s a complete farce that we have a player in the team because of potential exposure in Korea .

- astute signings - no more 35 million on Silva and 30 on Semedo . That’s 5-6 decent players we could have signed for that budget with the right scouting
Why are price rises unacceptable. Prices go up due to inflationary pressures.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My memory isn't what it used to be but didn't they buy the club for 30mill? ,not sure how much they have invested but if it's now worth 300mill plus that's an awfully big profit
What about all the expenses , salaries, insurances, security, transfers, new pitch, Compton upgrade, hotels, transportation etc….
when you add them all up, I wonder would they break even

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They've essentially taken us to the edge of success and backed out, which makes it so much worse. In other words, we got past the foreplay but couldn't seal the deal.
That ‘edge’ you mentioned was covid…..

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because it makes no difference to the club in the grand scheme of things
Well it’s £1m they’ve got to earn somewhere else so it does make a difference. Not sure I’ve come across a company that is highly successful that just ignores £m of revenue.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All this talk of Wolves being on the stock exchange, eSports, record labels, increased revenue….. I honestly couldn’t give a ****.

I want to rock up on a Saturday afternoon and watch the team play some half decent football.

Fans want to feel some sort of connection with the club, and all this commercial guff that surrounds the football is going to diminish that connection pretty quickly.

T

TheConcourse

I presume most on here haven’t listened to the other 10 sections of Ask Wolves apart from just Jeff’s. They form a coherent narrative and If you had you would have heard plenty about local fans. Russell Jones gives a very helpful explanation as to why we are pushing for a global fan base and the value that brings. There are discussions also about what E-sports means as well as the record label. They explain, it may be too many syllables for some, that we are 600% behind Spurs and 1000% behind Man U in terms of revenue. To compete with those teams we have to grow our revenue. Growing our revenue increases how much we can spend and our transfer ceiling. That will not happen over night. We are looking at doing it differently to how other teams have done it by leveraging the Wolves brand to generate revenue. What we are not going to do, because it’s not sustainable, is throw £100m a year at it. Firstly because you’d breach FFP and secondly as others have proved it doesn’t get you very far. What is consistently said across all the interviews is that everything is being done so we can sustainably compete with top 6 rather than relying on them to have a poor season and is to have everything go right.

I know this won’t agree with some of the agendas on here but could I suggest listening to the interviews rather than just guessing what’s was said.
Applause.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it’s £1m they’ve got to earn somewhere else so it does make a difference. Not sure I’ve come across a company that is highly successful that just ignores £m of revenue.
In which case they should have made a greater effort to secure a higher league position that delivered far more than £1m and not continually playing a totally out of form South Korean would have been a start

rubyloo

Reaction score
One of my favourite sayings is "If you're not confused, you don't understand"

So, like many things, it's not simple - yes, it was a grim watch at Molineux this season, but we comfortably survived another year in the premier league which is what most of us dreamt of for about 20 years. We have also learned that, apparently, money doesnt grow on trees.

Unless I see some concrete evidence to the contrary, I fully expect a relegation fight next season - I'm not an expert, I just simply extended our recent form and subtracted Neves from the equation.

Still haven't committed to ST renewal, but I will probably 'fold' at the last minute - maybe we need to be in the thick of a few battles to get the South Bank back to normal volume again, in which case it may stop feeling like a waste of money.

So, I get confused when I try to understand how this current Fosun 'situation' feels in the context of being a Wolves fan since the 70's, but there is one thing I am absolutely certain of: I cannot think of anything worse than being a Man City fan - owners buying guaranteed success? - no thanks, would rather lose to Grimsby.

I think this was a long way of saying Fosun in, BTW.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How far are deep pockets going to take us with FFP? Are we going to be an Everton?

Nobody is permanently breaking the current top six unless they get similar income, which I'm sorry to say, means having a model that generates its own wealth. What do you suggest we do to create that?
We haven't got depth in talent to be self sustainable. We dont have enough youngsters coming through

First off I wouldnt waste money money on players when money is tight and who we will never get a return on e.g. hwang, silva, cutrone.
We need a larger squad to encourage more competition for places. Performances improve all round as there isnt an automatic right for the same old players to get a start. We can then sell and replace without it leaving a gap in the team.
Give the young players out on loan a reason to want to come back rather than them preferring a move.

Back
Top Bottom