Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed, but he also hinted that Wolves are working with the Council on a bid to host some Euro 2028 games. So maybe, just maybe, developments tie up with that?
It's worth a go doing that, knowing of the Council's Event City strategy.

If the UK & Ireland got the comp and Mol was selected, it could light the blue touch paper.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's worth a go doing that, knowing of the Council's Event City strategy.

If the UK & Ireland got the comp and Mol was selected, it could light the blue touch paper.
Lets hope the forthcoming internationals go well.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The other thing that was interesting was the comment about Molineux hosting music events and needing better access and egress for people standing for big events.
The suggestion was that a re-vamp of the SB lower tier might include a removable section to facilitate that access/ egress requirement for concerts.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
yep - at a cost of £16m. Would open up space in both concourses

Not as good as a re-build, but probablty the only viabale option right now.

South Bank extension is around £30m for 5,000 extra seats

Think of it more as a long-term rebuild. More like a gradual house renovation. By the end the house is massively different, but along the way it's felt like small changes.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Agreed, but he also hinted that Wolves are working with the Council on a bid to host some Euro 2028 games. So maybe, just maybe, developments tie up with that?

Yep. A bid like that comes with funding partners. And finding partners equals...well....funding. Tieing the development of Molineux into a big international event is a smart move for bringing in extra ways to pay for it, this is why I wish the club/city had gotten in on Birmingham's Commonwealth bid.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A bit depressed listening to this.. Everything relates to a very clear Return on investment and Zero consideration for fan experience. Lots of " we would like to that Jonny......but". Sounds to me like the 16m is the 9 point plan - if so thats absolute peanuts to reprofile / redevelop in essence the main stand! Hope i'm wrong but they don't see the stadium as a great opp to return a profit and as such little chance it will get much investment...

I'll be honest I had the opposite reaction. I found the video clear and ambitious. We can't simply do a Chelsea or City, because the elite clubs pulled the ladder up after them via FFP. But Jones was telling us -without saying it directly- "these are our plans to get round the FFP problem." I have zero interest in esports and I'm not all that fussed about a record label, but these things are revenue streams that the club are exploring to catch up on the top 6 in terms of revenue.

On the 9 point plan/16 million I didn't see it as the 16 million covering all 9 points. I saw it as Jones telling us of a 9 point plan, giving us a lot of detail on the first few points, which will cost 16-20 million, and then giving some vague details on future points. I'm fine with the plan as outlined -especially if it's also tied into a South Bank extension at some point- because it gets us where we need to be in a sustainable way.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The other thing that was interesting was the comment about Molineux hosting music events and needing better access and egress for people standing for big events.
The suggestion was that a re-vamp of the SB lower tier might include a removable section to facilitate that access/ egress requirement for concerts.

Potentially massive. With the club's location on the west coast mainline they would be a great location for big concerts, away from the congestion of Birmingham while still being close to the airport, M6, etc. It only takes a few large acts to book concerts there each year to make a huge revenue difference to both the club and the city.

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
CZMOo8cVAAA6p9_.jpg
This kind of thing exists at the U.S Bank Stadium where the tier folds away for baseball games.
Brilliant idea but I doubt any of this will ever happen

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did say that, and we can hope. I would be amazed, but very happy, if Wolverhampton was successful in bidding to host some of the games. This years England games gives me more hope of it than I would have had before. But it’s not just Molineux, it’s the provision of sufficient hotel capacity for visiting fans, access from the city centre, etc.

But let’s say we were successful. The club will have to get a move on, if they wanted to finish the fan park, Steve Bull improvements and South Bank expansion. They would have 5 years to do all of it, and with only the fan park (apparently) already in the planning stage.

So absolutely behind the idea, but doubtful it will come to pass.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the council have plans for the Molineux Quarter but no time scale
Fosun like to have partners for most of their investments so can`t see anything
happening in the next 5 years

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the SB is so old now it would take over 2 years to demolish it and rebuild due to the way it was built, taking out the bottom tier and moving a new structure closer to the pitch and joining it to the upper tier while using the old and difficult to remove construction is actually a pretty clever way of redeveloping the stand.

I'd like to think that is the 1st phase for the SB and if needed the top tier could be redone in the future

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If England can play at Molineux in its current form Shi won’t be rushing to do anything to the ground
I don’t believe they ever considered any major expansion and now we know why

W

WasStefan

If theyre genuine about refurbing the steve bull they have to sort the roof out. It has to line up with the north bank else itll just look daft.

£16m wouldnt cover it. Nowhere near

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
16M seems a lot to spend for something that ultimately won’t be what we want long term.
Would prefer the Morgan plan for it, which I imagine would’ve cost less than £50M and linked up properly with north bank and lined up correctly with pitch side.

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
So long as it doesn"t fall down & it looks ok on TV is all that matters.
Crap catering, leaky roof, cramped seating in some parts - they couldn"t give a flying toss.After all its only for the legacy fans.

R

reanswolf

We have to be realistic though, the club are not going to spend £30m just to expand the South bank by 2,000. It is NOT going to happen.
The best we can hope for is a redeveloped lower tier costing £16m, which would increase capacity to about 34,000 and bring the stand much closer to the pitch.

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Money spent on stadiums & stadium improvement is exempt from FFP spending.If they wanted they could quite easily improve the ground & get partners/grants to help.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Money spent on stadiums & stadium improvement is exempt from FFP spending.If they wanted they could quite easily improve the ground & get partners/grants to help.
There still has to be a return on investment.

Put it this way, would you spend a £100k on an extension to your house if it ended up only being worth £50k more than it is now?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have to be realistic though, the club are not going to spend £30m just to expand the South bank by 2,000. It is NOT going to happen.
The best we can hope for is a redeveloped lower tier costing £16m, which would increase capacity to about 34,000 and bring the stand much closer to the pitch.
I didn’t understand it as £30m just for south bank, I thought that was total including the 16 on Steve Bull. Also think idea is an extra 5k in south bank.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Put it this way, would you spend a £100k on an extension to your house if it ended up only being worth £50k more than it is now?
Yes. If I was planning to live in the house for 10-20 years

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question: what are the bunker bits either side of the wv1 seats in the north bank?
Don’t seem like disabled bays, but take up a lot of space for few people.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. If I was planning to live in the house for 10-20 years
You would be better off investing that 100k by selling up and moving to a better house then, as you will always be 50k down.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The £30m expansion of the South Bank was to double its size to 10k.
He said expand the South Bank to 10k, adding 5k. That would cost £30m. Same as report in the E&S years ago except with a cost assigned.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The £30m expansion of the South Bank was to double its size to 10k.

He said expand the South Bank to 10k, adding 5k. That would cost £30m. Same as report in the E&S years ago except with a cost assigned.

Quite amusing, in a masochistic kind of way, to read that 4 year old article.

Even the modest proposals for expanding the ground have not moved on at all since then, despite the
vital box of Premier status, (sic), having been ticked 4 times in a row.

I keep on repeating the same point: Fosun spend pretty much what they can spend due to FFP, (although they
are probably at the conservative end of that approach which all clubs ultimately have to follow). But the stadium
expansion and development is exactly the area where a difference can be made. Increased income, increased attendance,
a better design, more status, interest and profile, increase in the active fanbase, increase in equity value of club, and the possibility of using price discounts to attract new fans are all available with stadium development.

It is the lowest of low hanging fruit.

That they refuse to do this, and instead look at the most budget model imaginable as in the video, is the best evidence
we can have for Fosun's underlying strategy. No risk, no commitment, adopt a holding position until the way ahead globally can
be understood more clearly.

But its not low risk, as Fosun, with this approach, risk major disillusionment amongst the actual, not virtual, fanbase. The spectre of relegation hovers as teh most high risk outcome of all.

And so they are trapped in a dilemma only partly of their own making.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite amusing, in a masochistic kind of way, to read that 4 year old article.

Even the modest proposals for expanding the ground have not moved on at all since then, despite the
vital box of Premier status, (sic), having been ticked 4 times in a row.

I keep on repeating the same point: Fosun spend pretty much what they can spend due to FFP, (although they
are probably at the conservative end of that approach which all clubs ultimately have to follow). But the stadium
expansion and development is exactly the area where a difference can be made. Increased income, increased attendance,
a better design, more status, interest and profile, increase in the active fanbase, increase in equity value of club, and the possibility of using price discounts to attract new fans are all available with stadium development.

It is the lowest of low hanging fruit.

That they refuse to do this, and instead look at the most budget model imaginable as in the video, is the best evidence
we can have for Fosun's underlying strategy. No risk, no commitment, adopt a holding position until the way ahead globally can
be understood more clearly.

But its not low risk, as Fosun, with this approach, risk major disillusionment amongst the actual, not virtual, fanbase. The spectre of relegation hovers as teh most high risk outcome of all.

And so they are trapped in a dilemma only partly of their own making.

I agree with that to a large extent. Think things likely are not playing out exactly as they’d hoped when they embarked on buying a club. Brexit changed the player dynamic a little, as was mentioned in the videos. The pandemic through a major spanner which affected sentiment and risk in investing in football. The geopolitical relationship between China and U.K., alongside the tilt in Chinese policy towards football, affected the attractiveness of Chinese investment in football, as we’ve seen play out at other clubs.

You can see how this has all manifested itself in the change in public statements from Jeff over the years, and in the strategy being followed since we first gained promotion. Instead of a rapid push for Europe as a next phase, and a massive expansion of the stadium, we’ve seen consolidation, stability and lower cost strategies to grow the brand outside of football. We’ve also seen a strategy of selling a large minority stake to a development partner replaced with a potential IPO, likely because they couldn’t secure a sufficiently attractive partner.

Fosun and Jeff have done well not just to cut and run like others, but rather to adapt their strategy into a more holding plan to retain and incrementally grow the club and their asset value. But supporters have heard the old strategy and dreams, and now see that’s off the table for the foreseeable future, and naturally we’re disappointed.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You would be better off investing that 100k by selling up and moving to a better house then, as you will always be 50k down.
Not if you like living where you are and it would cost more to move to a bigger house with a
Crippling mortgage.

Probably cost £50k to move with stamp duty , solicitors fees etc.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes - if staying and it fitted your needs.

Therein lies the issue.

Fosun are looking to IPO/sell in 2-5 years then, following a normal path, they want to maximise their return - they are unlikely to get £ for £ what is spent on stadium and so better to keep team in PL than invest for long-term growth.

I do see mixed messages though with esports and (clearly unlinked) Grasshoppers.

Personally quite excited by £16m proposal if can couple with a roof over Graham Hughes, similar seating between Steve Bull and South Bank and realigning roof and North Bank. Will lose my seat in J1 though!

kiddywolves26

Reaction score
He didn’t go into Great detail but what I would expect is the following-

1- close lower tier, away fans in corner temporarily and rebuild tier against pitch back to the cooperate area.
2- close upper tier by moving fans into lower tier. Re build upper tier with new cooperate in centre.
3- although not mentioned, i would expect the stands to link up so would also involve new roof. He did state they would expand concourse, build stand further back and re clad so looks similar to Stan cullis.
4- south bank would involve doubling capacity at a cost of 30m. I’d imagine this would involve atleast 1 corner. Leaving just the BW to be completed in future.

If the club can get funding for this and they get chosen for 2028, then I would imagine this will get done sooner rather than later. Don’t be suprised we seek funding from uefa2028 for it.

Also interesting to hear talk about an Academy/womens stadium should the women team get promoted and talk of expanding or even moving the training ground.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
If there is ever a refurbishment of the upper Tier, then the extra room they'll have to give every seat will negate any increase from the bigger lower tier.

I think the plan is to rip out the boxes, make a hospitality area, then make an entrance to the new lower tier to give 500 or so seats like the WV1 area. That's a better use of the space to my mind. Whether 1100 seats for £16m is better than 5k extra for £30m, or come to that whether any of it will actually happen is more tricky!

I'm slightly reassured that plans for the Steve Bull might explain the failure to do the SE corner, but that might be wishful thinking!

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess the question is also can they do the new lower tier whilst leaving the upper tier open for games. ? That would be ideal and they can start as soon as planning granted

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1- close lower tier, away fans in corner temporarily and rebuild tier against pitch back to the cooperate area.
2- close upper tier by moving fans into lower tier. Re build upper tier with new cooperate in centre.
3- although not mentioned, i would expect the stands to link up so would also involve new roof. He did state they would expand concourse, build stand further back and re clad so looks similar to Stan cullis.
4- south bank would involve doubling capacity at a cost of 30m. I’d imagine this would involve atleast 1 corner. Leaving just the BW to be completed in future.

If the club can get funding for this and they get chosen for 2028, then I would imagine this will get done sooner rather than later. Don’t be suprised we seek funding from uefa2028 for it.

Also interesting to hear talk about an Academy/womens stadium should the women team get promoted and talk of expanding or even moving the training ground.
I don’t think the upper tier will be rebuilt, nor will anything happen with the roof. Wouldn’t think it can link with north bank as the lines will all be wrong.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So long as it doesn"t fall down & it looks ok on TV is all that matters.
Crap catering, leaky roof, cramped seating in some parts - they couldn"t give a flying toss.After all its only for the legacy fans.
Good point. Can we tart up the view from the pitch a bit for our real online fans?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really does bother me that the pitch is now not lined up properly with the side stands!
I wish Morgan hadn’t moved the pitch when he did the north bank if the rest of the redevelopment wasn’t going to follow.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think of it more as a long-term rebuild. More like a gradual house renovation. By the end the house is massively different, but along the way it's felt like small changes.
It's more like one of those renovations you plan with no real intent to carry out unless you win the pools. Then over time you go from talking about a big extention with a jacuzzi to adding a lean-to. But then... you just keep talking about it because really you can't be ***** to move the tele, and you're spending the money on your holiday.

Last edited:

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would happily bet both balls and me left arm that this will get as far as point 1 tops, if it even gets off the drawing board. Our owners have done well so far: they've re-established us as a top tier club. For all my reservations about them as an organisation socially and politically, I'm happy about that (not 'grateful' mind, gratitude comes to those who go out of their way for you, not those whose self-interest aligns with one's own) but I have no faith in their intentions to develop our ground; it makes too little short- to medium-term financial sense. I don't like it, but I do get it.

Back
Top Bottom