Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fosun out?

Rugrats

Reaction score
I’m not, nor would I think any Wolves fan, say we don’t need more depth to the squad. I vocally called for it in both of the last two windows. Where we differ in opinion is in the strategy to achieve this, and I’m not suggesting we have the resources you think we have. The club could afford to spend 50-100m on players, not several hundred million. The fact that Fosun is worth tens of billions is almost irrelevant. They invested in Wolves as a business not a political or personal toy. If we are to get a new stadium under Fosun, it will be funded by commercial loans and the club’s income, not by a gift from Guo.

Fosun clearly approach squad building differently from the like of Man Utd or Everton. But I think it’s clear they do have a strategy to grow the strength and depth of the squad, albeit keeping its total size fairly small. They buy to sell for the purposes of reinvestment in the squad, not as an income stream for Fosun Int. As such, they generally avoid buying established players unless they are either good value (eg club in need to sell or player out of favour), the squad has a gap which needs filling (eg to cover a long term injury), or there is a succession plan for an existing player (who then moves out). We buy a good number of young players and we use our junior squads and partner clubs to develop them, either for our first team, or to be sold on to reinvest. This strategy is beginning to generate good additions to the senior squad, and it’s arguable that changing the coach was necessary to accelerate this.

So while I want to see more depth in the senior squad, I do appreciate and support Fosun’s broad strategy. I prefer to be part of a club which attracts players because it has a reputation for developing the best young talent, rather than one known for paying above the odds wages or fees. Back in SJH’s heyday when we were trying to get out of the second tier, that’s what we were known for, and look where that got us. He gifted us a beautiful stadium, but failed to establish us in the PL.
Really ? - I give you Silva

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Missed this until now, but was this comment by Lage a thinly veiled pop at Fosun?

“We arrived in February with 40 points and our fans are talking about Champions League, and the real teams who have that goal because they invest a lot is teams like West Ham and Arsenal."

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Missed this until now, but was this comment by Lage a thinly veiled pop at Fosun?

“We arrived in February with 40 points and our fans are talking about Champions League, and the real teams who have that goal because they invest a lot is teams like West Ham and Arsenal."
It’s not even thinly veiled. It’s an out and out pop and he won’t be here next season now.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
It’s not even thinly veiled. It’s an out and out pop and he won’t be here next season now.
Didn't you also say he'd be gone by October? I guess if you keep going with such proclamations, there will inevitably come a point when you're right.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't you also say he'd be gone by October? I guess if you keep going with such proclamations, there will inevitably come a point when you're right.

I said January.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting.

It’s quite clear who the failure lies with this season - and every fan could see it ffs.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If I had such a "patchy" track record as you do of making predictions based on guesswork and emotions, but stating them as if they're concrete facts... I think I'd keep my mouth shut.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

If I had such a "patchy" track record as you do of making predictions based on guesswork and emotions, but stating them as if they're concrete facts... I think I'd keep my mouth shut.
Patchy?

Thank you very much.

fleck1

Reaction score
People are starting to wake up now. Are these seriously the guys we want in charge of our football club FFS

Complete disregard for local fans
Are owners who have taken us from bobbing around in the championship to 3 top 10 finishes in the Premier league in 4 years, a European quater final and fa Cup semi final really guys we want running our club? Erm yes please. Because they want to make us self sustainable and don't want to pour endless amounts of money down the drain and pile us with debt they should go?
Be careful what you wish for...

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If you can give me a concrete buyer, who will demonstrably improve upon what Fosun have done then absolutely. Until then though, just saying "get someone with ambition" as if they grow on ****ing trees is pointless and childish.

fleck1

Reaction score
If you can give me a concrete buyer, who will demonstrably improve upon what Fosun have done then absolutely. Until then though, just saying "get someone with ambition" as if they grow on ****ing trees is pointless and childish.
Utd fans have the glaziers, spend 100s of millions and have the highest wage bill in the league and they aren't happy and want them out.
No pleasing football fans the grass is always greener.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Utd fans have the glaziers, spend 100s of millions and have the highest wage bill in the league and they aren't happy and want them out.
No pleasing football fans the grass is always greener.
Exactly!
Also Fosun aren’t stupid…..they’ve seen the MOUNTAINS of money City and Liverpool have spent on transfers and salaries.
City have never won the European and for winning the league they get £20m more than Wolves this season, and Liverpool get about £2m for the FA cup.
Yes, this just part of the story but still……just saying.

Last edited:

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's different and all relative nowadays, but it's a shame we genuinely see 'real success' as finishing 7th and having a run in a cup (ultimately without winning it)

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe it’s time they sold the club to a sugar daddy who can realise the potential this club actually has.

I’m on the Fosun out agenda now. It’s the same drivel Steve Morgan came out with didn’t want to spend his own money

dennison11

Reaction score
I'm definitely FOSUN in for now. Its hard to put into words how I'm feeling about the club right now (a few beers doesn't help) but without them there is now way in hell we would be where we are now. With them, only only time will tel. How much time we give them is slowly running out. I hope for a really good positive summer window but the realist in me says that it will be a pile of ****. Don't think we'll be relegated but cnat see us challenging for much at all.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe it’s time they sold the club to a sugar daddy who can realise the potential this club actually has.

I’m on the Fosun out agenda now. It’s the same drivel Steve Morgan came out with didn’t want to spend his own money

Potential of the club? This club has no more inherent potential than Sunderland, Coventry, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday and a whole bunch of others.
What you really mean is the potential of the sugar daddy's money. It's not the same thing.

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Oh come on……the day of sugar daddies are probably gone.

Also, look what they’ve achieved in 6 years.
You really want to trust us to an unknown greedy, narcissistic, sociopathic, dodgy, nefarious , putrid ridden , piece of scum after all that? Jesus, man…..he could be a C & W music loving Republican.

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? ;);):cool::p:)

Like John Lennon said……”you want to talk about a revolution…..weeeelllll…, we all want to see the plan”.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh come on……the day of sugar daddies are probably gone.

Also, look what they’ve achieved in 6 years.
You really want to trust us to an unknown greedy, narcissistic, sociopathic, dodgy, nefarious , putrid ridden , piece of scum after all that? Jesus, man…..he could be a C & W music loving Republican.

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? ;);):cool::p:)

Like John Lennon said……”you want to talk about a revolution…..weeeelllll…, we all want to see the plan”.
What plan have Fosun talked up though? Hardly spending and being self sufficient isn’t what I’d call a plan

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What plan have Fosun talked up though? Hardly spending and being self sufficient isn’t what I’d call a plan
Good question my friend but we don’t know why Fosun bought wolves. What is or was their plan?

We have NO idea what Guo would consider a success or a failure, do we?

Therefore, it’s illogical to judge without that crucial piece of info.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good question my friend but we don’t know why Fosun bought wolves. What is or was their plan?

We have NO idea what Guo would consider a success or a failure, do we?

Therefore, it’s illogical to judge without that crucial piece of info.
Player trading.

jim_boner

Groupie
Reaction score

Haha. Sugar daddies wanting to throw a lazy billion at a club like wolves are everywhere. Currently lining Waterloo road waiting to make an offer.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not Fosun out, i've been a huge supporter of what they have tried to do, but at the same time now, i feel massively let down with their approach.

From my perspective, football is about the dreaming of what could be, and they sold us a dream of us being a major player in English football again. They sold us the dream of a new stadium and building us a team of real quality and they have ripped that away from us now. You cant do that to your fan base and not expect a backlash and i think next season if they dont get this transfer window right its going to happen.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
If Fosun did sell the club there’s absolutely no reason that any new owner would be any better. There’s just as much chance they’d be worse. There’s hardly a queue of blokes from Willenhall or Bilston with a spare £400m to buy the club.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if this sugar daddy turned up with billions to literally waste on Wolves, FFP would effectively hamstring the club for years, as it is intended to do.
Newcastle will have a splurge this year then find any further improvement much slower (though there is the possibility in their case of huge sponsorships from 3rd parties looking to curry favour with the Saudis. I believe that FFP currently has no oversight on 3rd parties but strongly suspect that will change if the above starts to occur).

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like fosun and I don't much like Shi.

I don't like the owners' links to the ccp.
I don't like the derisive attitude shi has to local fans.
I don't like our transfer strategy.
I don't like the mincing of words to justify lack of ambition.

None of these are good reasons for wanting Fosun gone. This is, by and large, the reality for a lot of Premier League clubs.

We are at least run safely and sustainably and there is a sensible commercial strategy building the brand.

If there were a magical owner who could spend more money and understood the important of community and local culture to our club - great. But i don't think they're very common.

I think If Fosun sell, we run the risk of getting an even more mercenary owner.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does look on the face of it that they have reached the same point Morgan reached, ironically, couple of years before he sold the club. Albeit, we as a club are in that much of a better position that it isn't even a comparison. They have got us to a point where we are a self sustainable, solid PL club. That is to there credit. It is what we have always wanted.

It is easy to sit back and say "right, they have taken us as far as they can, it is time for someone or something to buy the club and take us to the next level". That is very easy and almost deluded to suggest really.

I must admit though, I am slightly envious of the kind of money the Villa owners are prepared to pump in. They haven't spent it particularly well I must admit, but you do get the feeling if they get it right the next few windows, along with Newcastle, Everton etc we could become cannon fodder almost.

I don't think most fans have really demanded much of fosun. It is just to simply strengthen from a position of strength. Countless transfer windows literally just 1, 2 signings tops to improve the 11 would have us potentially pushing the top 6 and beyond now. Instead we are now facing having to strengthen from a very weak position. Sellars and Shi have done themselves no favours there, especially mixed in with the utter *******s they have came out with to justify there reasons.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So people are happy with our assets been sold over the last 3 years and 0 invested back???

Would you also be happy with relegation next year as that’s where that team is going without investment

Ps…. We never had it as good yawwwwwwwn!!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Owners is like players to me.
They don´t show enough passion and ambition playing for the club,I want them out.
If a potential owner emerges who has bigger ambitions for the club than a permanent midtable slog,then I do want Fosun to sell.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So people are happy with our assets been sold over the last 3 years and 0 invested back???

Would you also be happy with relegation next year as that’s where that team is going without investment

Ps…. We never had it as good yawwwwwwwn!!
Finally someone has said it

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Assets sold and 0 invested back?

We haven't had a negative net spend in any of the years that Fosun have owned us. Why let facts get in the way though, when you can rage incoherently into the void?

And no, no-one would be happy with relegation, including Jeff, Guo, Fosun and everyone on here. That should be obvious.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Grateful to them for getting us out of the champ and the first couple of seasons up where they genuinely appeared to show ambition. That's all over now and it's become run by amateurs. I hope they sell up to someone with deep pockets to push us on. The sooner the better.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest issue I have with Fosun is managing expectations. Jeff Shi is an astute businessman but he is a novice football club chairman. His comments and Fosuns actions 5 years ago set levels of expectation far higher than they should have been in reality. That first Nuno season was dreamland with the likes of Neves and Jota even Costa and Cav. Then Raul , Patricio and Moutinho the following year , yes I was dreaming of the big time and challenging the top six. A cup semi final and two seventh place finishes I was completely absorbed in the hype. Thats because Jeff re-iterated it with his comments. The Man City one springs to mind but there were others.

Then after Fabio/ Semedo there was a noticeable change. Its as if reality had kicked in for Jeff too. Instead of coming out and saying it though , he blamed FFP on our lack of business and highlighted the need to be self funding. That was a shift from the first two years, no doubt about it. He has surrounded himself with a team that he trusts because they seems to say " yes Jeff" a lot. That is up to him. In my experience its good to have some subordinates who can challenge the way you think as it can provide a valid and pertinent alternative. If you do what you have always done you will get what you have always got. Jeff speaks about the brand and expanding the brand beyond the realms of Wolverhampton and the 200k population and in the medium to long term he is right. But to do that you have to have a brand that people want to buy into and we are not there yet. We need to win a cup and qualify for Europe more often to be that brand. We need to be the 7th team in the league to be that brand. We need to be that team and have that level of success to attract the right calibre of player with sufficient quality to maintain that position or improve on it. Fosun got their first two years very right once they got Nuno, then the last three years they have sat back on their laurels and other teams have caught up. Newcastle , West Ham, Leicester I would argue have overtaken us and Brighton have caught us up. So realistically with our current squad 11th is our best likely finish. So if you then take Neves , Moutinho, Saiss, Troare and maybe more out of the squad you need to invest in sufficient quality to at least maintain that position. That is the challenge facing Wolves recruitment and management teams now. It is essential that they recognise the importance of their next moves and essential they recognise that the inactivity of the last 3 years has actually cost us league places. It is also vital in my view that Wolves look at the cup competitions with real intent. Both of them. None of this shadow squad rubbish. Our cup capitulation to Norwich was scandalous last season and it was the home game that started the sighs and groans on the terraces, even though Lage won MOTM soon after. Once we hit 40 points it was season pretty much over. That cannot happen again. If Brand is the key word then brand success and therefore brand expansion requires a consistent buy in to the brand. The people of Wolverhampton already have that buy in , its their local club so Jeff , treat them kindly. Dont shaft them with season ticket hikes that make paltry sums. Basically 1 league position better and you could have frozen prices, Jeff. Reward loyalty and then you get generational buy in to the brand. Build a successful team that challenges for cups and Europe and you pick up fans from other parts of the country looking to get into following a premier club. I am forever surprised when I hear London accents Man City supporters! That never ever happened 30 years ago. Liverpool and Man United yes, but they were the dominant teams in the 80s and 90s. But Man City? No-where.

So , I apologise. This couple of lines turned into an essay! Jeff is a good businessman who probably has a good business acumen and ethos and who has a long term plan. He has never been that long suffering football fan aching for some success and until he understands that feeling he will struggle to have empathy with our major fanbase.

Back
Top Bottom