Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think that the combination of the Pandemic (inc UK relations with China) and Uefa FFP did have an impact on the original plan. Self sustainability has always been the aim but I'm guessing with the tidal wave of early success we would have invested more in transfers had the steady state continued.

We were seriously in for Ruben Dias until they upped the price at the last minute and were also pursuing Fernandes as well. Only last summer we were in the closing stages of Sanches and Bottman for substantial fees.

I do think for the right player we are prepared to pay a reasonable price but have a limit, even the big boys suffer from this, Mbappe for example.

I would think that we have the funds available for strengthening the first team and investing in prospects regardless of the Neves and Traore situations as Fosun are savvy enough to know they have an asset they won't want to see devalued by a relegation.

My biggest fear is that in Sellars we have a man with a strategy but no discernible plan to deliver it.

There's also not a lot between most of the owners in the PL when it comes to wealth, other than the 2 oil countries.

I'd much rather have an owner who is understated with that wealth, than one who comes in all guns blazing throwing money around. All it does is drive up prices and attract the wrong type of player.

I have no doubt, despite the continued message of self-sustainability, that if investment were required to maintain our status, it will be made.

Joshwolf218

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Our major non-Gestifute purchases have been Hwang, Mosquera and Hoever who have all been varying degrees of complete wastes of money.

Right but that's transfers not scouting.

Wolves most likely have thousands of files on players with ideal traits unideal traits. Some may not want to come, some might want to much money, some maybe don't want to move, some have other offers

Just all our signings are hits doesn't mean our scouting is bad

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They'll also pay £50M for Danny Ings over the life of his contract.

Fair point
Im not suggesting we copy their transfer policy in general. But people make it sound like 120K p/week is a bad deal.
It really isn't..

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hard not to be complementary when things are going well.

It's when things aren't going so well that his pointed remarks come to the surface again.

I actually don't think it's necessarily a problem he has with Fosun. But I do think that his writing style sometimes plays to the crowd a little. Most of his readers are probably older men, who themselves have always had suspicions and concerns about Fosun's intentions. So that undercurrent has always remained, whether he's writing for the E&S or The Athletic.

Agree completely

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester get most of their transfer business wrong.

Still living off United and Chelsea overpaying for Maguire and Drinkwater.
Think they are hit and miss like every club. Fofana looks a very good player

sswolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Abola reporting Nunes and Palhinha will be leaving Sporting this summer but nothing will happen until after Internationals completed
Heard palhinha is holding out to see what other clubs are interested as he wants to play CL or europa

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point
Im not suggesting we copy their transfer policy in general. But people make it sound like 120K p/week is a bad deal.
It really isn't..

The knock on consequences make it bad.

If we signed a defender on 120k/w, we'd have Kilman, Boly, and Coady knocking Jeff Shi's door down demanding the same as their contracts tick on.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The knock on consequences make it bad.

If we signed a defender on 120k/w, we'd have Kilman, Boly, and Coady knocking Jeff Shi's door down demanding the same as their contracts tick on.

That's a fair point.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
If they can't afford Traore and the reduced wages he's accepted then it will be interesting to see how they justify anyone else they bring in - given all they are linked with. Just pleasy poverty it seems.

I'd kinda like Wolves to say;

You want Neves, then £45m on the proviso you....

- buy Traore at the agreed price
- cancel any non-purchse penalty on Trincao

Otherwise £65m please.

Maybe with Juve offloading a couple of players Jorge could work some magic there and Ruben can follow in his idol's footsteps.

If Neves really has to go i hope it is abroad, but we have to get the best deal. Barca are coming across like tne mate you lend money to who "can't" pay you back, but seems to keep spending more than you do

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just for thecrecord TimSpiers has always been Anti Fosun .. Anti Mendes . Same with E and S ..
I think it’s more about selling their publishings. They’ve been more interested in sensationalism than news since the early 90’s. If I remember correctly, Instone was banned from Molineux for a while, because of a rift between the club and the E&S.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very good signing for them.

His improvement this season has been incredible.

which is interesting in itself.... will he sustain it? i'd be wary before spluffing more cash if you're running a ship that isn't eventually going to sink (also good luck with him alongside Mings)

Aston Villa: The new Everton

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa rumoured to offer Tarkowski 120k a week.
People may scorn and laugh at them but that's 10 million for 2 years. 10 million for an established PL defender.

Don't get me wrong. I like our vision of going for young and talented players and don't want us to sign Tarkowski

Bur we paid 10 million for Hoever...
The hope would be that Hoever would be worth more in 2 years time. Tarkowski would be worth nothing and other players may well seek pay parity with him.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Villa's recruitment strategy is to read the mix!

In which case... that lad Hwang is absolutely brilliant. We should never even think of selling him.

FFS don't talk about it shush!!! And all those shirt sales in korea too!!!!

makes you wonder if jeff was reading RB Leipzig Mix not long ago...

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
which is interesting in itself.... will he sustain it? i'd be wary before spluffing more cash if you're running a ship that isn't eventually going to sink (also good luck with him alongside Mings)

Aston Villa: The new Everton
Course they are.

I'm going to make sure to revisit this thread next season.

He's a left centre-back so wouldn't play with Mings.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me the Summer is split into two distinct parts, what we must do to replace leavers and current weak positions, then what we could do. All non-Wolves players are purely indicative.

Must dos- Approx £50 mill spend
Ruddy - Gabriel Slonina
Saiss - Gonzalo Inacio
Marcal - Ryan Giles
Moutinho - Palhinha
N/A - Andre Almeida
Trincao - Morgan Gibbs-White
Traore - Goncalo Guedes

If we just did that, I would be content.

Then the money-spinning could dos
Boly - Edmond Tapsoba
Neves - Nico Gonzalez
Dendoncker - Martim Neto
Podence - Rafa Silva
Hwang - Pedrinho
Raul - Maxi Gomez

Sort out the must dos first and then worry about the could dos after.

Jayjaywolves

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So frustrating watching people stress about incomings.
Most don't realise how difficult it is to navigate a transfer window in today's market.
We have been told the plan, sell to buy.
So have patience that once we start seeing our best players leave, Starting with Neves to Arsenal for 35 million in 15 installments over 25 years. Then we can concentrate on bringing in the "right players" at the "right time" for the "right price"
Starting with a 10 million offer for Kieffer Moore at 9.45pm on dead line day followed by 15 mins of disappointment until the window closes.
Just have faith.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they can't afford Traore and the reduced wages he's accepted then it will be interesting to see how they justify anyone else they bring in - given all they are linked with. Just pleasy poverty it seems.

I'd kinda like Wolves to say;

You want Neves, then £45m on the proviso you....

- buy Traore at the agreed price
- cancel any non-purchse penalty on Trincao

Otherwise £65m please.

Maybe with Juve offloading a couple of players Jorge could work some magic there and Ruben can follow in his idol's footsteps.

If Neves really has to go i hope it is abroad, but we have to get the best deal. Barca are coming across like tne mate you lend money to who "can't" pay you back, but seems to keep spending more than you do
Sounds good

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can sort of see the argument some are saying that Vile will do nothing whilst spending large sums. I may be wrong but I'd like to bet that if we started splashing the cash as Vile are that some fans wouldnt be saying we would do nothing.

Splashing the cash of course doesnt always achieve success but at least their owners are backing their head coach.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most don't realise how difficult it is to navigate a transfer window in today's market.
So have patience that once we start seeing our best players leave, Starting with Neves to Arsenal for 35 million in 15 installments over 25 years. Then we can concentrate on bringing in the "right players" at the "right time" for the "right price"
Starting with a 10 million offer for Kieffer Moore at 9.45pm on dead line day followed by 15 mins of disappointment until the window closes.
Just have faith.

Trouble is we have been told no plan for this summer by the club as far as I am aware. We still await these questions Phillips asked Shi, Sellars, Clarke etc over 3 weeks ago that the club still havent released. We really have no idea what the plan is this summer. A lot of uncertainty in my opinion.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just have faith.
you forgot getting a bank loan against the Neves money at probably 30% interest

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mendes is such a plus for us, but i think because we have him we are fairly lazy when it comes to recruitment. Like you said, without him, we are still championship. No way to blokes like Sellars and Thelwell before him have the clout to get the likes of Neves and Moutinho to this club.
Yes I agree....it's not perfect but without Jorge we are like another Burnley as such....no way we tempt the players without Jorge....

The downside is you probably do become a bit lazy and rely on it...but in fairness to fosun we have spent away from Jorge ....hwang, Dendonker, cutrone, traore.. before ...

If you stop spending on the mendes carousel it will grind to a halt , sometimes you lose players for less, buy player for more or less but you can't stop the movement..it won't always work but by and large we have to be happy with Jorge......and sometimes you have to wait for 3 or 4 things to fail into place....I said last summer but people disagreed , I think we would have got botman and sanches but the reason it didn't happen was because we didn't bring enough funds in.....those funds were Neves ...

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is we have been told no plan for this summer by the club as far as I am aware. We still await these questions Phillips asked Shi, Sellars, Clarke etc over 3 weeks ago that the club still havent released. We really have no idea what the plan is this summer. A lot of uncertainty in my opinion.

I doubt the club are going to tell us "the plan" though mate.

There's no point taking what they say in the AskWolves videos too as gospel either, based on last year's.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The hope would be that Hoever would be worth more in 2 years time. Tarkowski would be worth nothing and other players may well seek pay parity with him.

I'll be very surprised if Hoever is worth more than what we bough him for in 2 years time. Seems to be no progression at all.
Meanwhile Tarkowski will help Villa in the immediate future because he can already play well at this level.
I do agree about the problem with other players seeking pay parity though.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just wished we could split the threads...Our summer business in one and the other teams in another...... personally I don't care who other teams sign, granted we are in the same league but I'm not fussed about it and dont wanna spend all summer reading the same posters going on about Villa , Fulham.

All I wanna read about is OUR transfer business

Won't be long before statements like 'villa are leaving us for dust' again......despite us finishing above them in every league (adults and kids ) that we have faced them in....a clean sweep across the board.....

Rant over....please can we have two threads for summer transfer .....

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just have faith.
Thats why its important to finish as high as you can or at least be competitive in the cups. Make the club attractive with the possibility of European football. More by luck than judgement , we were in the position in January were the club was at its most attractive for two years. It was obvious that we needed certain positions upgrading then. If 25-30m had been spent instead of spending 14 on Hwang , which did not need to be spent , I truly believe we would be having very different conversations as we would have finished 7th. Trying to run a premier league team with only three senior midfield players in absolutely bonkers especially as we have never been a free scoring side since we returned to the premier league. Like it or not we are in bed with Mendes and our record of signings outside his sphere isnt very good. Leave it to Jorge , even though I dont like it , its the way it is,

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting at the end of the U-23s game on Monday night.
The match ended and someone wandered into shot and started shaking hands with the players.
He was so shabbily-dressed and seemed so out to lunch that my first thought was that some wino had somehow blagged his way onto the pitch.
Nope. Turned round and bugger me it was Wolves' de facto Director of Football

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What I don't get about the sell to buy policy is that we must have some money to get a few deals over the line eg Palhinha and Almeida, surely? We are literally the most profitable team in the League!

If we sell our players before buying teams will know we are both cash rich and desperate for players, which plays into their hands.

If it is genuinely the case that the manager gets £0 transfer budget and has to wheel and deal, the Club should let the fans know rather than pretending there is money to spend when there isn't.

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Certainly a year where our fans quite rightly have zero confidence in our strategy after the recent windows and false promises

It isn’t even a question that villa have more ambition than us. Their downfall has been inferior managers and signing players from abroad who don’t tend to hit the ground running

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester get most of their transfer business wrong.

Still living off United and Chelsea overpaying for Maguire and Drinkwater.
Plus Kante, Mahrez, Chilwell. Not fair to only list the duffers. They got sizeable fees for the good players too.
We’ve sold 1 player to a big club for big return thus far, could be another in Neves. That’s 2 in 4 years.
Leicester made bank on 5 big ones in that kind of timeframe. The stupid fees for Drinkwater and Maguire made life easier, swelled the coffers, and offset big flops like Slimani, but those are huge transfer profits for rebuilding.
Of course, don’t leave out the one they kept, that’s probably cost them only 10k a goal for the fee paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom