Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer Transfer Window 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting article, suggests he could be available for as little as £3m. Injured for a large part of the year and one year left on his contract.

For 3m no brainer if we can get him fit anyway fits the Portuguese profile

Maybe he felt let down not getting his big move away from the club?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If there is any truth in any of those, from the calibre of signings we're going down next year.

I’d imagine all of those except Pedrinho are more squad players (with potential), than first team regulars.

The squad needs to be bigger, as well as replacing anyone from our strongest XI that leaves with ready made first team replacements I.e. Neves leaves, Palhinha comes in.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't that all we've ever done under Fosun? It's been the strategy since day 1 and has served us pretty well

Not really when we signed Raul, Moutinho, Patricio, Jonny when we got promoted along with Dendoncker, who was a full Belgian International then and of course Adama. This is the sort of established level of signings we could do with this summer, particularly the first 4 players mentioned level.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almeida is a first team player? Seems to be a first choice for club and for u-21s?

Goalkeeper seems a once a in a generation talent.

Duarte perhaps a Saiss replacement, fine?

Guedes a speculative punt for the future on a rated Portuguese talent, nah we have a horrible hit rate on that.
I mean proven first team quality at this level. Is Almeida really gonna come in and replace Neves / Moutinho? If he is, we’re in for a long hard season is what I’m saying.

Duarte I haven’t seen linked anywhere and know nothing about him.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I mean proven first team quality at this level. Is Almeida really gonna come in and replace Neves / Moutinho? If he is, we’re in for a long hard season is what I’m saying.

Almeida is capable but in a different system who knows?

Duarte just a name I threw into the hat as a cheap saiss replacement probably won’t happen

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't that all we've ever done under Fosun? It's been the strategy since day 1 and has served us pretty well

Nothing wrong with that strategy. However as well as having potential, signings such as Neves, Jota, etc also performed at Championship level from day one.
Problem is not buying players with potential, but it's quite obvious that our team can't carry too many players who might have the potential but not the current ability.
In our past 3 windows none of the youngsters signed has been ready for the PL and it can be argued they still aren't.
Thats not a major problem when you've senior players such as Neves, Moutinho, etc.
Bur when those players leave, you need players ready to step in and have an immediate impact.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Are you going to get a Neves/Moutinho replacement for our budget is the bigger question.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not really when we signed Raul, Moutinho, Patricio, Jonny when we got promoted along with Dendoncker, who was a full Belgian International then and of course Adama. This is the sort of established level of signings we could do with this summer, particularly the first 4 players mentioned level.
Moutinho and Patricio fair enough, the rest we bought potential, none of them were the guarantees you're making them out to be

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that strategy. However as well as having potential, signings such as Neves, Jota, etc also performed at Championship level from day one.
Problem is not buying players with potential, but it's quite obvious that our team can't carry too many players who might have the potential but not the current ability.
In our past 3 windows none of the youngsters signed has been ready for the PL and it can be argued they still aren't.
Thats not a major problem when you've senior players such as Neves, Moutinho, etc.
Bur when those players leave, you need players ready to step in and have an immediate impact.
But there were no guarantees Jota, Neves etc would perform on day 1. We took the risk and if paid off. I agree about needing some experience alongside but we've generally done that too with the likes of Semedo, Marcal, Moutinho, Sa so probably will again

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d imagine all of those except Pedrinho are more squad players (with potential), than first team regulars.

The squad needs to be bigger, as well as replacing anyone from our strongest XI that leaves with ready made first team replacements I.e. Neves leaves, Palhinha comes in.
I'm not convinced the squad needs to be much bigger anymore. What it needs is more quality right through the spine.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny was a regular starter for a good Spanish side. Raul whilst not being a regular starter was still an experienced player and well respected.
Jonny didn't play for Spain until he was with us. Raul was on the bench which is why we loaned him first, he'd never really been the main man in a big league

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny didn't play for Spain until he was with us. Raul was on the bench which is why we loaned him first, he'd never really been the main man in a big league

True but they were still more established than quite a few we have brought in during recent windows.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s obvious we are now buying players with potential it’s a risky business but it’s all we can now afford
Tbh if they all turn out as well as the majority of the younguns we've bought in have, it's all grand.

Problem this season - imo - was not believing in the youth enough and relying on underperforming senior pros. Chiqiunho, RAN, Toti (for instance) looked brilliant when given chances

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbh if they all turn out as well as the majority of the younguns we've bought in have, it's all grand.

Problem this season - imo - was not believing in the youth enough and relying on underperforming senior pros. Chiqiunho, RAN, Toti (for instance) looked brilliant when given chances
I think next season they will be playing a lot more mate. We’ve blooded them and tried them out now it’s time for Sellars to wave his magic wand and get players to improve us

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think next season they will be playing a lot more mate. We’ve blooded them and tried them out now it’s time for Sellars to wave his magic wand and get players to improve us
I hope they will. Along with MGW I feel they are a certain unpredictability which we lacked this season

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is indeed a big question, and why I’m so worried.
Id say we aren't exactly and why id advocate for keeping moutinho, but bringing in a Palhinha and bringing in a potentially higher quality replacement as well wouldn't be a bad solution.

Almeria seems to be one that ticks those boxes, might be a baptism of fire for him but looking into his credentials he seems to be a very good football.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My apologies complete brain fade - multi tasking of appearing to be at work whilst also looking on here. Yes totally agree Raul pre injury but he has been an exception to the norm and you can add Jota to the list although he was very hot and cold for us. We have signed a lot who have been ineffective and I go back pre-Fosun on that.
I agree much of that, we've signed some right old crap over the years. I didn't include Jota, although l really rated him and was devastated that he went, as l didn't consider him a centre forward.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
It's already becoming clearer who is off and who is staying.

Definitely Off - Ruddy, Saiss, Neves, Trincao, Marcal, Hoever (nothing rumoured, but don't see him surviving)

Maybe Off - Boly, Moutinho, Adama.

That's potentially NINE holes in the First Team squad, 5/6 of which have been regular contributors this year.

Looking at the squad which *might* start Pre-Season in July...

Goalkeepers

Jose Sa
Sondergaard/Sarkic/New GK

Right Backs/Right Wing-Backs

Jonny
Nelson Semedo

Left Backs/Left Wing Backs

RAN
Hugo Bueno/New?

Centre Backs

Max Kilman
Toti Gomes
Yerson Mosquera
Conor Coady
Dion Sanderson
New CB
New CB

Central Midfielders

Leander Dendoncker
Luke Cundle
Morgan Gibbs-White
New CM
New CM

Forwards/Wingers

Pedro Neto
Daniel Podence
Hwang Hee-Chan
Chiquinho

Strikers

Raul
Fabio Silva
New Striker

That's 7 potential new players required to get up to a squad of 25 (not necessarily by July, but certainly by August 6th).

Unbelieve amount of work to do!

Any confidence in Shi and Sellars to get it done?

None. Zilch. Nada. Negatory. Nil Points.
That midfield looks scarily weak.

Brightonwolf

Reaction score
We have but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to look closer to home .If you know where to look there are decent players in the Championship .Jarrod Bowen being a good example .
Nothing wrong with buying foreign but it tends to rely on Mendes by and large (no pun intended)
It normally includes a hefty price tag though. I appreciate there are exceptions.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest on one hand I can understand Morgan's feelings.He's been with wolves since the age of 8,he's now 22 and still not a regular player.Has he grew up is what is like to know ?.He comes across as the little bloke with the big ego.He ****ed a few fans off with his attitude when we were in lockdown and then didn't want to fight for his place.Bruno said something about him now becoming an adult and will be treated as one when he comes back.We all know Bruno is a bit outspoken,and I'm wondering if they had a bit of a ding dong and Bruno told him to go out on loan and grow some balls.He has certainly enjoyed his time at Sheffield,and I've watched them as much as I could.He has impressed me to be honest,and if he can get his head down in pre-season season I see no reason why he cannot play a part next year.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely saying we need 4 on top of what we have no implies we need more depth?

Your numbers would leave us with 7 CB’s, 5 CM’s, 6 wide players and 3 strikers. Add in the 5 WB’s we have and that’s 26 outfield players. Seems a lot for me if all are classed as first team players.

4 on top of Neves, Adama, Ruddy, Saiss, Dendoncker and Moutinho would mean a squad that’s 4 players deeper would it not?

We don’t need 4 more, we need 4 better than what we have.

For every player going out of the squad we need one in, we can afford to lose one CB but need one extra CM.

We need more quality in some positions rather than more numbers which is what saying we need 4 on top of replacements seemed to imply.

No, it doesn't. I think we need 4 first team players before we lose anyone. Doesn't matter how many players are currently here, some are clearly leaving, some aren't good enough and some will become our depth.

3 strikers is still fairly light.

Our wide attackers don't contribute goals so we need to improve that and Traore and Trincao are probably off anyway. Neto and arguably podence if you class him as a wide player are the only ones first team ready. We don't have much quality there.

We are overloaded with centre halves but 2 options there are leaving in Saiss and Marcal and we just need upgrades.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not convinced the squad needs to be much bigger anymore. What it needs is more quality right through the spine.

I’d tend to agree, but I think Bruno wants a bigger squad and has said so a few times.

More options, with different types of player to what we have would be a start.

L78

Reaction score
From what I’ve gleaned so far I’m keeping well away from razor blades
Looks like Poundland again from these miserable owners
The only thing that slightly cheered me up was reading that Hwang maybe off to Leeds , could we get that lucky ?
Surely leeds learnt there lesson from helda costa they carnt fall for tha old trick again especially after watching
hee chan for us this season

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom