Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

A little delusional to think we're in the market for the same management personnel as Madrid, Barca, City, Liverpool, Bayern and PSG.

Shall we poach Klopp or Guardiola while we're at it?
Do you think Monchi would leave Sevilla to join us? That Dan Ashworth would have?

Which DoF do you think would work with Mendes, unless it is one he brings in

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A little delusional to think we're in the market for the same management personnel as Madrid, Barca, City, Liverpool, Bayern and PSG.

Shall we poach Klopp or Guardiola while we're at it?

Wasn't it delusional for Neves and Jota to arrive when we were lower mid-table championship? Moutinho and Patricio going to a club with minimal premier league history? Nuno as manager? Yet they arrived. With a good project to sell, we aren't that unattractive at the moment? No financial troubles..or so we're told.

Though perhaps the gap from 8th to 6th really is just bigger than that between mid-Championship and clubs like Everton who were interested in Neves.

Having said that, we are a stable Premier League club for 4 years - outside of the Big 6, we've been the safest club in those 4 years, nearly all the the others have been in the relegation battle for at least some of that time . Those super rich clubs can't employ everybody whose any good? That must leave talented management staff looking for a step up, somewhere. Us and Leicester appear the safest best...West Ham had a good 2 seasons, but several relegation scrapes just before then, for example.

When your talking management staff, DoF, you don't have a squad of 30. Real/Barca/City can't snap them all up (like they do players). There must be some decent ones across Europe who would be tempted by the Premier League gravy train?

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I've been upset for some time that we did not advance following Nuno's great 2nd Prem season. You've reminded me of some of the details which have led to our club going backwards for 2 seasons now. Fosun have put us in this position and they now need to get up off their collective arses and bring the type of players in they should have done 2 years and 1 year ago.
We were under the UEFA FFP restrictions 2 years ago.
They couldn't spend any money due to success coming too soon

*that's what she said.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do you think Monchi would leave Sevilla to join us? That Dan Ashworth would have?

Which DoF do you think would work with Mendes, unless it is one he brings in
All depends on the level of autonomy negotiated before signing. As I've already said.

Just because we're top heavy with Mendes clients now, doesn't mean that's what Fosun will always plumb for.

We simply don't know if Guo and the gang are happy right now or not. We don't know how patient they'll be with the current setup from Shi to Sellers to Mendes to Bruno. We just don't know.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Not thinking this is realistic, but presumably he knew the situation with Mendes when he nearly came before?

Just some idle straw clutching.

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Forget this DoF nonsense when we have no money for players.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not thinking this is realistic, but presumably he knew the situation with Mendes when he nearly came before?

Just some idle straw clutching.
Three guesses who Lopetegui's agent is....

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Three guesses who Lopetegui's agent is....

Indeed, or he'd never have looked at us twice, same as many of the best players we've signed (and a few duffers).

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I've been upset for some time that we did not advance following Nuno's great 2nd Prem season. You've reminded me of some of the details which have led to our club going backwards for 2 seasons now. Fosun have put us in this position and they now need to get up off their collective arses and bring the type of players in they should have done 2 years and 1 year ago.
I did wonder at the time why we signed the players we did given the fact Nuno wanted to be more attacking.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of rumours doing the rounds that we have approached him.

Is he really what we need?

Yes, Sevilla have only lost 9 of their 51 games this season and they've finished 4th in La Liga and qualified for the Champions League.

But they've only scored once in 24 of their games. They've not score in 11 of them.

Yes, I'd have taken one goal in the 17/41 games we have failed to score in this season, but I'm not sure Lopetegui's style is too different to the pragmatic, defensive approach we have seen for the last few seasons.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, Sevilla have only lost 9 of their 51 games this season and they've finished 4th in La Liga and qualified for the Champions League.

But they've only scored once in 24 of their games. They've not score in 11 of them.

Yes, I'd have taken one goal in the 17/41 games we have failed to score in this season, but I'm not sure Lopetegui's style is too different to the pragmatic, defensive approach we have seen for the last few seasons.
Can I ask where these rumours are from as I haven't seen anything linking him to us other than on here or Wolves fans on twitter...

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Believe he oversaw the rebuild of Sevilla, abeit he has Monchi and not a criminal as his DoF

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Things have certainly gone stale for him at Sevilla but that's the case with most coaches, all good things come to an end unfortunately.

He would represent a big upgrade on Bruno and Nuno for that matter.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do feel Bruno has been shafted by Jeff, but if we have any chance of bringing in a manager of Lopetegui's calibre we should do it. Maybe the Portuguese revolution is over and we're about to embark on a Spanish one.

D

Deleted member (smith)

I do feel Bruno has been shafted by Jeff, but if we have any chance of bringing in a manager of Lopetegui's calibre we should do it. Maybe the Portuguese revolution is over and we're about to embark on a Spanish one.

To be fair Jeff gets all criticism because he is chairman….His job is to seek to improve the club and if that means shafting Nuno or Bruno to improve the club he will do it….

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was very close to Wolves. They were very nice to me and really interested, but things happened the way they happened,” Lopetegui told the Daily Mail in 2016. “It was very close but in the end it wasn’t to be. I enjoyed the time I spent with them; there were offers from the Premier League, but their project was especially attractive. Certainly, if the Spanish job hadn’t come up, I know I would now be coach at Wolverhampton.”

The one that got away.

He clearly even got quite close to Shi one would assume by the bits in bold? Either way, there is a real relationship there.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
It does feel like when Lambert was in a "steady the ship" position blissfully unaware that Nuno was about to be handed the reins and the backing.

Though I despised Lambert I do feel for Bruno if this is the case, being brought in as a stop gap whilst Lopitegui saw out this year with Sevilla. Having said that we all have very short memories in football don't we.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does feel like when Lambert was in a "steady the ship" position blissfully unaware that Nuno was about to be handed the reins and the backing.

Though I despised Lambert I do feel for Bruno if this is the case, being brought in as a stop gap whilst Lopitegui saw out this year with Sevilla. Having said that we all have very short memories in football don't we.
Might explain why he hasn't been particularly backed with his own squad this year if we had planned all along to hand the rebuild over to Lopetegui and begin the new cycle with the man that was plan A

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yesterday on La Liga they mentioned the President wasn't happy with the style of football under him this season.

Fake news!

I hope there's some truth to this rumour. It kinda implies we'll be busy in the transfer window

I feared we'd be strictly sell to buy but most of my doom and gloom predictions have been proven wrong

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can he bring Monchi with him?

It didn't work out very well for Monchi when he left Sevilla before though - sometimes people get credited individually with success, when it's the club & wider staff/environment that make it work.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're following the pattern of nauseating, grind a win, send a glass eye to sleep stuff then he'd be ideal.

Sevilla are dire to watch. Often make simple games look difficult. Score very few goals considering the talent at their disposal.

Perfect fit.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we're following the pattern of nauseating, grind a win, send a glass eye to sleep stuff then he'd be ideal.

Sevilla are dire to watch. Often make simple games look difficult. Score very few goals considering the talent at their disposal.

Perfect fit.
Just looked at their season stats for this year and they have dropped off from previous years but it appears their away form has been the issue. At home they’ve scored 35 goals in 18 games whereas away they’ve scored 17 in 19. I dream of an average of 2 goals a game at home, our home form is like Sevilles away form.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just looked at their season stats for this year and they have dropped off from previous years but it appears their away form has been the issue. At home they’ve scored 35 goals in 18 games whereas away they’ve scored 17 in 19. I dream of an average of 2 goals a game at home, our home form is like Sevilles away form.

I think after 2 years or so of utter boredom this appointment would change very little from an entertainment perspective on that front.

I've sort of half accepted that it's going to be near enough impossible for us to challenge for the top 6/7 unless we completely change our spending. Particularly with Newcastle now on the scene. This season felt like a now or never, for want of a less dramatic phrase.

So actually enjoying games again would be my priority. Just speaking on a totally individual level of course.

Back
Top Bottom