Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Raul Jimenez next season

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Hate saying this, but Raul is finished at top level football. He looks a shadow of the player he once was.
All those saying he’ll come good and that he should lead the line next season can you explain to me why you think this, because I see nothing to suggest otherwise..
He as been brilliant, but sentiment will hold us back.
Si senior.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate saying this, but Raul is finished at top level football. He looks a shadow of the player he once was.
All those saying he’ll come good and that he should lead the line next season can you explain to me why you think this, because I see nothing to suggest otherwise..
Si senior.
Starts to look that way.....

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You may be right. I still struggle to imagine if Pukki was playing for us instead of Jimenez that we would have created more chances. Maybe it was more how we defended Pukki continually giving him space compared with how Norwich defended our strikers that was a key difference.

Yes, it's hard to tell. Though you'd like to think our defenders aren't even worse than Norwich's! And we've seen our forwards do much the same most weeks.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably get £10-£15m for him from some MLS or Chinese team. He needs moving on, maybe the change will help him. Sad he couldn't have another few decent years with us.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate saying this, but Raul is finished at top level football. He looks a shadow of the player he once was. All those saying he’ll come good and that he should lead the line next season can you explain to me why you think this, because I see nothing to suggest otherwise.. He as been brilliant, but sentiment will hold us back. Si senior.
Yes. 2500 minutes, 34 appearances, an entire season, it's a pretty good barometer of how you view a player. The whole "form is temporary" mantra is stretched to breaking point over that sort of time-frame.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Hate to say it, saw him in the pre-season friendly at Stoke and thought he looked fit as a fiddle. Saw him score the goal at Saints and thought he was back. As he struggled I did go with the 'class is permanent' line. He's frustrated himself I'm sure, I don't even know what it is, he puts his body in, he seems right physically, but he's not the player he was. I'd keep him unless silly money comes in, but I'd hope we at least had another option to lead the line.

Also no headband at all today?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Imagine if we lose Raul, Boly, Neves, Joao, Saiss in one off season. It might be the right thing to do in almost all cases there but sheesh.

My worry is the new players gelling together quickly and that we are going to get good characters in and whilst you'd hope not will the fans be able to get as emotionally attached to them so quickly?

Shows how poor it has been from the club over so many windows not to be adding one player in each position, across what 6 windows at this point?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've still got faith in Raul.

As I constantly bang on about, if you judge on stats then EVERY attacker at Wolves is poor and the majority have been for some time. As Jota, who had bad stats the last year, proved, that's not the case - and I don't think it is here.

Playing up front for Wolves is horrible. You have nobody to link play with. You have limited service and it's easy to be marked because of that lack of movement/options in the box.

The remarks about his bravery are also unfair IMO.

He still does a key role in defending corners, how easy would it be for him to ask to change that? I think it was mentioned earlier in the season that his challenges/aerial duels are still high. He's not heading the ball as much but that's because until Chiquinho we had no one who could cross.

He does seem to get frustrated easily and that causes him to drift because he's not in the game enough, which is hugely frustrating.

However, this was happening in pre-injury. I vividly remember the Newcastle game before he was injured and it seemed Raul was everywhere except the box. It had become very noticeable with him and I was going mad, before he scored a volley after hanging around outside the box :D

But, here's a link to that goal (5:10) as I think it's important in this context of questioning his bravery/commitment. We have an attacking free-kick and our striker(!) decides not to challenge for the ball, runs away from the challenge and picks up the second ball in a position you'd expect Neves to be. Obviously it worked that day but it shows Raul is a player who doesn't always get into the box. Post head injury, people would say he did that because he didn't want to get hurt.

So, I'd keep him. Make him the focal point and put players around him that will do the work that he sometimes feels he needs to.

Having Neto, Gibbs-White and Podence playing behind you should result in chances/goals for any striker and if we go 4-2-3-1 with those three I still believe Raul could be a 15 goal a season striker.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've still got faith in Raul.

As I constantly bang on about, if you judge on stats then EVERY attacker at Wolves is poor and the majority have been for some time. As Jota, who had bad stats the last year, proved, that's not the case - and I don't think it is here.

Playing up front for Wolves is horrible. You have nobody to link play with. You have limited service and it's easy to be marked because of that lack of movement/options in the box.

The remarks about his bravery are also unfair IMO.

He still does a key role in defending corners, how easy would it be for him to ask to change that? I think it was mentioned earlier in the season that his challenges/aerial duels are still high. He's not heading the ball as much but that's because until Chiquinho we had no one who could cross.

He does seem to get frustrated easily and that causes him to drift because he's not in the game enough, which is hugely frustrating.

However, this was happening in pre-injury. I vividly remember the Newcastle game before he was injured and it seemed Raul was everywhere except the box. It had become very noticeable with him and I was going mad, before he scored a volley after hanging around outside the box :D

But, here's a link to that goal (5:10) as I think it's important in this context of questioning his bravery/commitment. We have an attacking free-kick and our striker(!) decides not to challenge for the ball, runs away from the challenge and picks up the second ball in a position you'd expect Neves to be. Obviously it worked that day but it shows Raul is a player who doesn't always get into the box. Post head injury, people would say he did that because he didn't want to get hurt.

So, I'd keep him. Make him the focal point and put players around him that will do the work that he sometimes feels he needs to.

Having Neto, Gibbs-White and Podence playing behind you should result in chances/goals for any striker and if we go 4-2-3-1 with those three I still believe Raul could be a 15 goal a season striker.
This is spot on @WeAreTheWolvesII unlike some of the other ridiculous ******* comments about Raul on here that he is finished and is hiding in games. No idea about the beautiful game and couldn't have played at a very high level. He's behind Grant Hanley at times because like all great strikers Steve Bull, Gary Lineker and Jamie Vardy. It's called playing off the shoulder ready for the through pass to pounce upon but those through passes or crosses have hardly been coming or have not been serviceable to our strikers this season. That is why we ain't scored many goals period!
Those same Wolves fans who probably wishing for Raul to leave now are probably the same ones that wanted Adama to go when he was just starting to score for us. Plus knowing Pedro was coming back after his long injury are giving him a bit of slack atm but for how long for? As he hasn't scored yet either. Will they get on his back next season if he doesn't live up to before his bad injury? Fickle ******* fans :(

Last edited:

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Depends what the formation plan is next season. Raul does look done as a focal point, target man, lone striker. But he still has good skills for a second striker. IF Bruno wants two up top, Raul has a lot to offer. If it's a front three and we need a focal point, then Raul probably isn't the man. But let's also remember to be respectful in talking about this...it's brilliant that he's even playing at all, and the changes in him aren't through choice or lack of desire. A horrible thing happened, and he's trying to adapt.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hate to say it, saw him in the pre-season friendly at Stoke and thought he looked fit as a fiddle. Saw him score the goal at Saints and thought he was back. As he struggled I did go with the 'class is permanent' line. He's frustrated himself I'm sure, I don't even know what it is, he puts his body in, he seems right physically, but he's not the player he was. I'd keep him unless silly money comes in, but I'd hope we at least had another option to lead the line.

Yeah, headband is there, its a much thinner version of the wrap around part

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sign a striker in the summer but keep Raul; if he can get back to where he was then he will be above the new striker in the pecking order instantly (because we won’t be able to afford a pre injury Raul) and if he’s no better maybe we could loan him to Barca free of charge from January onwards and leave ourselves short.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Point is he is under contract and the likelyhood is that no other club will be willing to match his current wages unless he virtually given away. Chances are he will have to drop down to the MLS or something.
The idea that we can get 10-15m for him seems unlikely.
Our options are probably taking a small fee to offload him to free up his wages for another player or keeping him.

zedkiel60

Groupie
Reaction score
Sadly i have to admit he's not the player he was anymore, (not his fault ,but after an injury like he had i don't see how he could be) i think its time to move on to a slower paced and less physical league(mls) perhaps. I wouldn't feel happy with him becoming a squad player behind the likes of Hwang , he deserves so much better.

JH1902

Groupie
Reaction score
A shadow of his former self unfortunately, I feel as if it's time for him to move on.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
" Form is temporary but class is permanent " ;)
And sometimes it's just a catchy phrase not borne out by reality. Yes things change unfortunately, age creeps in, injuries can be permanently impedimental, and class will diminish if it can't be sustained.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's the nano-second lag in response to stimuli. Not enough to impede normal life, but can interfere at the high level where an instant response is necessary, such as in the premier league. A nano second is the difference between a clean shot, a perfect take down or a ball flicked first time past an opponent. It's also absolutely crucial in the timing of a jump and the heading of a ball which is whizzing past you at high speed.

His best moves are still good when he has possession of the ball at feet or when through his movement has managed to carve some space. He can still dribble and go past a player. When he got to do that we saw the Raul who can still contribute, pass the ball, and create. And of course fill us with hope.
However that split second reaction time lag will always tell at this level when you need to react faster than your opposing player.

Some may think it will get better. I think it's over and done. Mostly due to age but even more because neurological recovery is notoriously a slow process. The younger, the faster to adapt to new conditions.
Of course, unexpected things happen all the time. So hey, fingers crossed.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Si senior.
Silva looked a better option

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva looked a better option
Silva is nowhere near good enough to lead any Premier League front line atm or next season. I include Norwich and Watford in saying that!

He’s powder puff and needs to muscle up, bulk up and stop being so nice to defenders who will kick him off the football pitch.

For all the £35million we paid for him, he is still nowhere near a better regular option than Raul imo.

He’s had enough minutes this season and is nowhere near a top class striker.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Silva is nowhere near good enough to lead any Premier League front line atm or next season. I include Norwich and Watford in saying that!

He’s powder puff and needs to muscle up, bulk up and stop being so nice to defenders who will kick him off the football pitch.

For all the £35million we paid for him, he is still nowhere near a better regular option than Raul imo.

He’s had enough minutes this season and is nowhere near a top class striker.

He unlocked Norwich's defence far quicker than raul, and got his head to a cross.

Raul did nothing, i love the bloke but hes not the same player.

This was also not me saying that silva should lead the line just that he looked the better option than raul.

We need to bring someone in

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Imagine if we lose Raul, Boly, Neves, Joao, Saiss in one off season. It might be the right thing to do in almost all cases there but sheesh.

My worry is the new players gelling together quickly and that we are going to get good characters in and whilst you'd hope not will the fans be able to get as emotionally attached to them so quickly?

Shows how poor it has been from the club over so many windows not to be adding one player in each position, across what 6 windows at this point?
Can't disagree. Add Coady and Traore to that list too as possible / probable departures. It needs to be one hell of a summer to get us back on track.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He unlocked Norwich's defence far quicker than raul, and got his head to a cross.

Raul did nothing, i love the bloke but hes not the same player.

This was also not me saying that silva should lead the line just that he looked the better option than raul.

We need to bring someone in
I absolutely agree that we need to bring someone in 1000%.

There is nobody in our squad other than Raul who I would want to lead our line next year. We need someone to play alongside or near him and help share his workload. Look at what Jota and Raul achieved together when that last happened. Great partnership and wonderful goals. From what I have seen this season, Hwang is definitely not the man. Nowhere near good enough on the evidence we have seen so far. Can’t see Jeff getting rid of him though, so keep him as a bench warmer.

We have Neto and Chiquinho who can provide width and speed on the flanks. Chiquinho already looks better than Adama with his directness and crossing ability, so Adama can be sold.

I’m not denying that Silva is one for the future, (don’t know how long we will have to wait though) but we desperately need someone for the here and now. Our goal scoring record this season is a total joke. KDB scored four against us in one match last week. Let it sink in that our top scorer THIS SEASON has got 6!

Let Raul have the summer relaxing, away from football and recharging his
batteries ready for the new season and World Cup. Let Jeff, Sellars and Mendes spend the summer looking for the Premier League class striker (and the other players) we so desperately need.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is spot on @WeAreTheWolvesII unlike some of the other ridiculous ******* comments about Raul on here that he is finished and is hiding in games. No idea about the beautiful game and couldn't have played at a very high level. He's behind Grant Hanley at times because like all great strikers Steve Bull, Gary Lineker and Jamie Vardy. It's called playing off the shoulder ready for the through pass to pounce upon but those through passes or crosses have hardly been coming or have not been serviceable to our strikers this season. That is why we ain't scored many goals period!
Those same Wolves fans who probably wishing for Raul to leave now are probably the same ones that wanted Adama to go when he was just starting to score for us. Plus knowing Pedro was coming back after his long injury are giving him a bit of slack atm but for how long for? As he hasn't scored yet either. Will they get on his back next season if he doesn't live up to before his bad injury? Fickle ******* fans :(

Every time you start one of your boring attention seeking threads you remind everyone it’s a forum for opinion, yet you write the above.
I think you’re a ****. Opinion.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Spot on

D

Deleted member (smith)

Cutrone, willian Jose, Fabio silva, Jimenez have all found it difficult.

Jimenez has been so frustrated it has boiled over into petulance and two ( costly) red cards .

lack of goals is a major problem but it’s a team game. Innit.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looks finished at this level to me and hides from any physical challenge which is hardly surprising considering what he has been through.

Real shame to see however we can't base decisions on sentiment and need a new senior striker.
Stats are an interesting thing:
  • He's only had one less headed clearance this season than in 19/20 with 5 fewer game - the thing that caused the injury.
  • He's had 5.1 aerial duels per 90 mins this season, winning 2.2 per 90 mins, in 20/21 it was 3.6 and 1.6, 19/20 5.7 and 2.4 and in 18/19 5.3 winning 2.2 - not really a drastic difference anywhere there either.
  • This season he's been far higher for attempted tackles with 1.8 attempts per 90 mins up from a previous best of 1.4, winning one a game this was just 0.6 in 19/20 and 0.3 in the short run before his injury.
What the stats indicate though is a huge drop off in the number of shots he's had with roughly 1 less per 90 mins on a previous constant of 3 and despite trying to carry the ball more a drop of in the success of it.

Maybe the question is more does our way of playing suit Raul than is Raul finished.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cutrone, willian Jose, Fabio silva, Jimenez have all found it difficult.

Jimenez has been so frustrated it has boiled over into petulance and two ( costly) red cards .

lack of goals is a major problem but it’s a team game. Innit.
that second red card shouldn't have been a red card. he went after a 50/50 ball.

Last edited:

Chuck Murray

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In the ordinary course of things, Wolves would shortly have enjoyed the opportunity to see how Raul fares with Mexico in a Summer World Cup ... but of course, this will not happen this time around, since the WC will happen in the Winter. But please do keep in mind, after all Raul has been through with the catastrophic head injury, he has been able to keep his place in both a Top Ten PL side AND a consistent WC qualifier side, the latter of which scraped through a much more demanding qualifying process than in previous WC campaigns.

I suspect the time off between now and Wolves preseason will heal many aspects of Raul's game.

That's he's made it back this far is impressive in and of itself. The next push up makes him legendary ...

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul might be happy to stay but the club is looking to move him on because he might not fit the mould of what Bruno wants, for example Bruno wants 3 strikers, his main star striker, a target man to offer a different approach and a young striker in Fabio.

Raul would have to be the star striker as he isn't as effective at being a target man now he has to use the headgear therefore couldn't fulfill that role so has to be the star striker or has no place in what Bruno wants. If the club has identified someone to be the new star striker it leaves us with either shoe-horning Raul into the target man role or selling him to buy a more effective target man for example Ajorque at Strasbourg.

I love Raul but I could definitely see him moving on this summer to be a starter somewhere to retain his place in the Mexico squad. No idea who could perhaps come in to be the main striker maybe someone like Toney or Broja if we could find the funds for them but could definitely see someone like Ajorque coming in for about 10mil to be the target man option.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if they've talked to him about being in a 10 role, just behind the strikers. he'd definitely make great passes, track back when necessary, and score an occasional goal, too. also, the team needs his defending on corners, too.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul needs to prove his doubters wrong don’t he really just don’t see him doing that maybe the club will sell him…. Time will tell on this situation just like many others. A 15m offer would be tempting

Last edited:

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the ordinary course of things, Wolves would shortly have enjoyed the opportunity to see how Raul fares with Mexico in a Summer World Cup ... but of course, this will not happen this time around, since the WC will happen in the Winter. But please do keep in mind, after all Raul has been through with the catastrophic head injury, he has been able to keep his place in both a Top Ten PL side AND a consistent WC qualifier side, the latter of which scraped through a much more demanding qualifying process than in previous WC campaigns.

I suspect the time off between now and Wolves preseason will heal many aspects of Raul's game.

That's he's made it back this far is impressive in and of itself. The next push up makes him legendary ...

I think we all know Raul has kept his place in the Wolves side because we basically have no other viable option.

I imagine its a similar situation for Mexico.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
" Form is temporary but class is permanent " for Raul Jimenez our record scoring Premier League Striker " ;)

The only problem with that is, it does not accommodate for physical changes, nevermind a life threatening head injury.

He is just different now.
He's not instinctive which made up for his lack of pace. Its like his shark eye or muscle memory is comprised. I don't think it's all about the lack of service either. The trauma has clearly affected him whether he realises it or not.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The first part about him keeping his place in a top 10 Prem side tells you that we don't have a better option (or we might have but they're all poor too).

It also tells you that we got off to a good first half of the season after we shook off those 3 opening 1-0 defeats because our 2nd half of the season is relegation form.

Also he's our top scorer with 6. Next is Hwang 5 and then Neves 4.

Chiquinho
Kilman
Neves
Gomes
Sa
Jonny
RAN
Neto
Semedo (maybe)

Are the only ones I'd ringfence, and even they have their prices. Anyone else can gladly go.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
" Form is temporary but class is permanent " for Raul Jimenez our record scoring Premier League Striker " ;)

The only problem with that is, it does not accommodate for physical changes, nevermind a life threatening head injury.

He is just different now.
He's not instinctive which made up for his lack of pace. Its like his shark eye or muscle memory is comprised. I don't think it's all about the lack of service either. The trauma has clearly affected him whether he realises it or not.

I was going to reply something similar, when it comes to head injuries, once the damage is done - it's done. When neural pathways are lost and damaged, they don't get reformed. Other areas of the brain can help compensate, and therefore people do have limited recovery, but people won't go back to being the same.

At the top level of football, reaction times and processing speed are everything, even a slight loss proves to be a massive disadvantage.

Raul is extremely lucky to be able to walk, talk, and see his children, and that's the most important thing - football is secondary.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was going to reply something similar, when it comes to head injuries, once the damage is done - it's done. When neural pathways are lost and damaged, they don't get reformed. Other areas of the brain can help compensate, and therefore people do have limited recovery, but people won't go back to being the same.

At the top level of football, reaction times and processing speed are everything, even a slight loss proves to be a massive disadvantage.

Raul is extremely lucky to be able to walk, talk, and see his children, and that's the most important thing - football is secondary.

It's not just the physical either. Getting over the mental aspects of going back to playing again is one thing, but getting back to 'competing' at the same level is another.

To cut a long story short, I had a head injury playing football that led to me being unconscious for about 20 minutes and not being able to drive for about 6 months. After various tests and recovery, I was fine and physically there was no difference than before the injury.

But I tried to go back to playing football and it never felt the same. Like you say, other things just become more important.

Raul's injury was infinitely worse too.

I do think that it might be more of a mental thing with Raul than a physical one.

He doesn't seem to have the same love and desire for the game that he had previously. He doesn't smile, he strops a lot and he complains about his headband. Does it really make that much difference? Or is he just looking for something else to blame because deep down he knows his heart isn't in it any more?!

Get Eileen Drewery in!!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's face it, no combination of Raul, Fabio, Podence and Hwang has worked.

The best forwards we have are Chinq and Neto, both have pace can go past a player and put a cross in, but there is no-one to put it in the net.

We should buy a proper goalscoring striker sell Raul if we can, send Fabio out on loan to learn how to score, and take out a contract on Hwang to claim the insurance.

Back
Top Bottom