Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Him and the Director of Football, who we could do worse than to poach too?

If Jeff has the resources and appetite for taking the next step, then he and their DoF would be a logical choice. It would allow Jeff to concentrate on the broader Wolves brand / group strategy, while determining the financial parameters under which the DoF and Coach would operate.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He ain't gonna come if there's no hard sell.

The hard sell is the rebuild, investing in the squad, project phase II.

So get him and things are looking up

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We couldn't get hold of the ball when we played seville. I would take him.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My gut feeling is that he will be the manager next season, Mendes is getting more pull in Spain with players so I could see a handful of spanish players arrive this summer. I also think we will see a lot of the squad leave this summer in a total rebuild into a team Lopetegui is content can play his style. A lot of young players with a sprinkle of older players in to compliment them.

Might be totally wrong but I don't see us just signing 3 or 4 players and the team staying pretty much the same

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A top DoF isn't going to come to somewhere that virtually only signs Mendes clients unfortunately.
A DoF would absolutely sign if assured of the autonomy to filter those Mendes clients.

Who in their right mind would turn down the likes of Neves, Ait Nouri, Neto and Jonny?

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
We couldn't get hold of the ball when we played seville. I would take him.
unfortunately it has been like that against most sides,and that is very sad when you consider the squad we have

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didnt Sevilla absolutely wipe the floor with us in the Europa League? 75% possession, 18 shots etc?

was that Sevilla being brilliant or Nuno's typical approach against the top teams?

For what its worth, its probably a bit of both, as I understand Lopetegui is a possession based manager however against the likes of Chelsea/Man City etc it wasn't unusual for Wolves to give the opposition 70+ possession.

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
was that Sevilla being brilliant or Nuno's typical approach against the top teams?

For what its worth, its probably a bit of both, as I understand Lopetegui is a possession based manager however against the likes of Chelsea/Man City etc it wasn't unusual for Wolves to give the opposition 70+ possession.
I'm not sure we gave them 70% possession, they just took it :-(

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Post game, Nuno acknowledged Wolves needed to have more possession in matches, be more attacking, create more openings and chances etc. We then go and sign a lot of defenders, an on loan midfield bench warmer and so called wonder kid. The football that followed was awful with a mere 36 goals being scored in the PL.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

A DoF would absolutely sign if assured of the autonomy to filter those Mendes clients.

Who in their right mind would turn down the likes of Neves, Ait Nouri, Neto and Jonny?
Who do you see from Mendes list who is realistic who you fancy? No top DoF is joining a club run by an agent

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I’d guess that a lot of those shouting for Lopeteugi have never seen his team play as his style is no different than Nuno or Bruno.
He likes athletes a bit more from what I can tell and does press a bit more, but yeah counter attacker based around a double pivot.

4 at the back isn't inherently more attacking.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

4 at the back isn't inherently more attacking.
No it isn't, and i wish people understood this. 3 at the back is perfectly fine as long as you have fast CB's. Rudiger, Chalobah and Silva are 3 that come to mind. Liverpool play in reality 2 at the back in attack with VVD and Gomez/Matip, or Konate. We have Coady and Boly, and they don't work in a high line defence. With 4 at the back in an attacking sense we'd have to rely on just Coady and Boly!

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Am I wrong in thinking City play with a back 4 with Diaz and Laporte central and Walker & Cancelo as first choice wing/full backs, Chelsea play a back 3, I think playing a back 3 allows slower centre backs to be effective, whereas a back 2 requires more pace, City and Liverpool have pace at the back, Chelsea not so much but the top 2 usually attack with 8 players with only the CBs staying back, we have our back 3 staying up on the halfway line with Ruben and Joao supporting them, where we also fall down is on getting players into the box..

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday on La Liga they mentioned the President wasn't happy with the style of football under him this season.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Am I wrong in thinking City play with a back 4 with Diaz and Laporte central and Walker & Cancelo as first choice wing/full backs, Chelsea play a back 3, I think playing a back 3 allows slower centre backs to be effective, whereas a back 2 requires more pace, City and Liverpool have pace at the back, Chelsea not so much but the top 2 usually attack with 8 players with only the CBs staying back, we have our back 3 staying up on the halfway line with Ruben and Joao supporting them, where we also fall down is on getting players into the box..
In essence yes to that. Rudiger and Chalobah are fast though. We attack with only the top 3 and the wing backs. Midfield come up to support if the forwards dally with the ball , which they do a lot, but by the time they are there the opponent is back into shape.
If you watch any of the top teams they attack in numbers and with one touch football. Obviously you need the players to do it, but when you have then the opponent either needs a low block and counter, or to be as good as you.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Post game, Nuno acknowledged Wolves needed to have more possession in matches, be more attacking, create more openings and chances etc. We then go and sign a lot of defenders, an on loan midfield bench warmer and so called wonder kid. The football that followed was awful with a mere 36 goals being scored in the PL.
Thanks for this. I've been upset for some time that we did not advance following Nuno's great 2nd Prem season. You've reminded me of some of the details which have led to our club going backwards for 2 seasons now. Fosun have put us in this position and they now need to get up off their collective arses and bring the type of players in they should have done 2 years and 1 year ago.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wish. They want to try and win the PL! Can you imagine if they need 7 goals to win it.. :oops:
Don't think the Goal Diff scenario is a thing anymore. Would require liverpool to draw with saints and villa to win at City.

Their only hope is villa nicking a draw and them getting one more point than City.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

No it isn't, and i wish people understood this. 3 at the back is perfectly fine as long as you have fast CB's. Rudiger, Chalobah and Silva are 3 that come to mind. Liverpool play in reality 2 at the back in attack with VVD and Gomez/Matip, or Konate. We have Coady and Boly, and they don't work in a high line defence. With 4 at the back in an attacking sense we'd have to rely on just Coady and Boly!
tbf, not really sure I'd call Chelsea an attacking team for the talent they have. Atalanta always spring to mind to me, they go 3 5 2 a lot with two proper strikers though.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Might you have to accept players you really don't want, as part of the deal to get the quality players in?
Like I said. Having the autonomy to pick and choose who you take is the key. Although accepting a couple of wild cards (Neto & Jordan) in order to sign proven quality (Moutinho & Patricio) is probably worth keeping Mendes sweet isn't it?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Like I said. Having the autonomy to pick and choose who you take is the key. Although accepting a couple of wild cards (Neto & Jordan) in order to sign proven quality (Moutinho & Patricio) is probably worth keeping Mendes sweet isn't it?
Not if you are a top DoF because you get other jobs were you don't have that crap to deal with.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We're not gonna be signing a DoF from Real Madrid though are we? The trick is to sign Real Madrid's next DoF.
That's not a top DoF then is it?

Was reported when we were looking at getting one in, candidates put off by Mendes. They don't want stipulations, they want to be the man. They want to know that if they are getting a player, they don't have to accept Trincao because Jeff said that Mendes rates him

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not a top DoF then is it?

Was reported when we were looking at getting one in, candidates put off by Mendes. They don't want stipulations, they want to be the man. They want to know that if they are getting a player, they don't have to accept Trincao because Jeff said that Mendes rates him
A little delusional to think we're in the market for the same management personnel as Madrid, Barca, City, Liverpool, Bayern and PSG.

Shall we poach Klopp or Guardiola while we're at it?

Back
Top Bottom