Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Morgan Gibbs-White

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's what 3-4-3 is all about. Two defensive 6s in the middle and your attacking threat comes down the sides with either the wing backs or the wide attackers. If we're gonna keep playing 3-4-3 next season there is absolutely no point in keeping hold of MGW, there's just no place for him in that team just like that wasn't for Vitinha last year. MGW can't play as one of the 6's and he isn't a wide attacker. He'll fail to impress and end up stuck on the bench again.

If we were to switch to a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 type formation or similar then there would absolutely be a place for him but that means changing a lot of players in this team in the summer first.

He's been playing in a 343 for a lot of the season playing off the right wing.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
3 4 3, why not 3 4 1 2 with MGW behind two central(ish) forwards such as Raul and Neto?

Reactions: Ian

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But that's what 3-4-3 is all about. Two defensive 6s in the middle and your attacking threat comes down the sides with either the wing backs or the wide attackers. If we're gonna keep playing 3-4-3 next season there is absolutely no point in keeping hold of MGW, there's just no place for him in that team just like that wasn't for Vitinha last year. MGW can't play as one of the 6's and he isn't a wide attacker. He'll fail to impress and end up stuck on the bench again.

If we were to switch to a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 type formation or similar then there would absolutely be a place for him but that means changing a lot of players in this team in the summer first.
He has played a lot for SheffU in an inside right position as part of a front 3

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the game today and while he was one of the better players on show, he needs to be a lot better than what we saw today. He has some nice touches and flicks but his decision making is still not at the required level. He's a decent higher level Championship player without question but he needs to significantly improve to nail down a spot in a team that has pretensions of being a top 10 Prem team. Of course, the only way he will improve is by being given an opportunity and a run of games. Is that likely to happen at Wolves? Doubtful.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watched the game today and while he was one of the better players on show, he needs to be a lot better than what we saw today. He has some nice touches and flicks but his decision making is still not at the required level. He's a decent higher level Championship player without question but he needs to significantly improve to nail down a spot in a team that has pretensions of being a top 10 Prem team. Of course, the only way he will improve is by being given an opportunity and a run of games. Is that likely to happen at Wolves? Doubtful.
I suppose it also depends on who the competition might be in the required role and how he adapts to what is required of him….only Bruno (if he’s in charge) can answer that and frankly, we’re all guessing UTW

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that based on one game today, or on his season as a whole?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally OTT to say he has a really poor relationship with wolves fans.
Some have an opinion and they're sticking with it. To change their minds would be to admit they were wrong. Lots of people nowadays hate to admit they were wrong so double down on the original statement/opinion.

I'm not one of those people, but I know a few. They flat out refuse to acknowledge the great season MGW has had and see no way back for him.

MGW does have a poor relationship with those fans, and they won't move from their position on MGW unfortunately.

I'd definitely be bringing him back and give him until at least Christmas to impress. If he doesn't impress we can start thinking about moving him on.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've watched him about 15 times in full this season on TV and in person. He's had an outstanding season, and in every game, even his quieter ones, he creates chances. E.g. yesterday there was a moment where he played a world-class chip through to Berge in the first half but he couldn't finish it off.

He obviously has elements of his game that need improving but who doesn't, and he's still only recently-ish turned 22. Midfielders supposedly don't peak until 26 or so onwards.

Worth noting he's played a large portion of the last two months up front in a number 9 role, due to Sheff Utd having six strikers injured, so that's not natural for him either.

10 goals and 11 assists in 36 games in the first season he's played anywhere near a full season. He's almost trebled the amount of league minutes he's ever played before. If we signed someone like him of his age from abroad the fan base would be frothing at the mouth.

Hopefully we get the shift in formation we're all craving which will mean he becomes a very promising option as a '10' or perhaps even an '8' or wherever else needed in the front line.

If the same people that think we need to upgrade Moutinho, Dendoncker, Trincao, Hwang, also don't think MGW deserves to come back and get a real chance in the team then that leaves me baffled.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've watched him about 15 times in full this season on TV and in person. He's had an outstanding season, and in every game, even his quieter ones, he creates chances. E.g. yesterday there was a moment where he played a world-class chip through to Berge in the first half but he couldn't finish it off.

He obviously has elements of his game that need improving but who doesn't, and he's still only recently-ish turned 22. Midfielders supposedly don't peak until 26 or so onwards.

Worth noting he's played a large portion of the last two months up front in a number 9 role, due to Sheff Utd having six strikers injured, so that's not natural for him either.

10 goals and 11 assists in 36 games in the first season he's played anywhere near a full season. He's almost trebled the amount of league minutes he's ever played before. If we signed someone like him of his age from abroad the fan base would be frothing at the mouth.

Hopefully we get the shift in formation we're all craving which will mean he becomes a very promising option as a '10' or perhaps even an '8' or wherever else needed in the front line.

If the same people that think we need to upgrade Moutinho, Dendoncker, Trincao, Hwang, also don't think MGW deserves to come back and get a real chance in the team then that leaves me baffled.
I think the problems might be his expectations of game time and Bruno might think differently. I have watched him on TV a number of times and would suggest he's too good for Sheffield United and the Championship.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite simple really, he needed game time and we couldn’t guarantee it, so he went out on loan to get use to playing. He’s had a great season and shown at that level what he can do. It’s exactly what he and the club needed him to do.

Next question is can he do it at a higher level? If he comes back and applies himself then good for him and the club.

Really don’t see the issue.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They want him to replace the on loan Conor Gallagher apparently.
So while Patrick Viera plans for the future of Crystal Palace in the Premiership, Bruno Lage plans to have Wolves play in the Championship from the end of next season. Let there be no excuses, what we have witnessed in recent months has been the form of a relegation club. We were fortunate at the start of the season in that the panel that Nuno had assembled and bred a winning attitude/mentality was not interfered with other than for the quite ludicrous release on loan of MGW. Even when I believe he had the option of ending the loan spell, he didn't. Frankly I have lost whatever little faith I had in this guy. The longer Bruno has had with this team the more we have struggled to get results. Yes, some rebuilding was going to be necessary this summer, but the highlight of Bruno's activity in the transfer market to date has been Hwang. Now there is a player to take your breath away. His absolute faith in this lad over all and sundry takes even more of my breath away. What is even more annoying is that so many of our fans seem to think that releasing MGW is somehow a positive or a good move by the club. An excellent move would be to replace Bruno with PV.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problems might be his expectations of game time and Bruno might think differently. I have watched him on TV a number of times and would suggest he's too good for Sheffield United and the Championship.
I suspect if Bruno had Lionel Messi on his team, he would still play Hwang before LM.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems a no brainer to get him back and let him get game time here next season. One of the best players in the championship this season and likely in the team of the year. Clubs pay 15million for that these days but he would cost us zero.
I dont think he wants be here. Lets get a good price for him and move him on.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont think he wants be here. Lets get a good price for him and move him on.

If he doesn't want to be here then fair enough. But have to say it is a little concerning how many good talents want out isn't it considering our whole game plan is to nurture promising young talent?

Goncalves, Vitinha, Mir for a start. Perhaps we should start looking after them better if MGW is another to join that impressive list while we throw 35 million at 'wonder kids'.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he doesn't want to be here then fair enough. But have to say it is a little concerning how many good talents want out isn't it considering our whole game plan is to nurture promising young talent?

Goncalves, Vitinha, Mir for a start. Perhaps we should start looking after them better if MGW is another to join that impressive list while we throw 35 million at 'wonder kids'.
Couldnt agree more. If we were Liverpool or Man City, the loanees would bust their nuts to impress to get back. It appears as though we aren't viewed as a stepup in their career. Worrying to say the least.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He wants to play football. Wherever that may be. If we offered him the chance to play football, he would absolutely want to be here. He should, imo, be a key player next season. We are crying out for someone with his energy and skill.

He has said he’s been in regular contact with Wolves during his loan spell, Bruno has said he knows what the plan is for him next season. So fingers crossed that plan is for him to be playing for Wolves.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if we sold him.
If for no other reason than one good premier league season with us and we could get double/treble the fee.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if he doesnt want to start at wolves. sell him for 30m, if he wants to play his contract out be at his home club and turn his sheff u performance into goals for the old goal.

All aboard.

Massive year next year for MGW, but massive week starting with the play off semi final

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How long is he under contract for ? FB site says wages agreed and spoken to Viera..,bit dubious on that frankly without permission before his and our season is finished

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How long is he under contract for ? FB site says wages agreed and spoken to Viera..,bit dubious on that frankly without permission before his and our season is finished
Maybe he has got permission!

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Given his progression as a player with much more experience it would be mad not to reassess him in whatever our team pattern might be IMHO

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would doubt we have given permission and doubt he would want to move away from SheffU if they got promoted. They are not out of play offs yet.
Anyway, many (but not all) Wolves fans seem to think he isnt good enough for PL but SheffU do and Palace seem to. Hmmm.
I dont think he has ever said he didnt want to play for us, but he has said he wanted to play football and not sit on bench. With numerous players seemingly leaving this summer he may feel that he has a very good chance of getting regular football with us. I really hope so.

Reaction score
Palace will want to replace Gallagher when he goes back to Chelsea so could see how they'd gamble on him.
Don't think he'd go for 25mill after 1 good Championship year though.
Also definitely think we should give him a good go here next year.

Back
Top Bottom