Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Raul Jimenez next season

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serious questions have to asked now if he is here next season and even if he does stay will he be our main man up top?

Been a really poor season from him when he scored that goal first goal back from his really bad injury at Southampton really thought he might kick on and get back to his best but as the season has gone on he has just got worse and worse in my opinion.

He hasn't scored a single headed goal since coming back which is a huge worry as this was a big part of his game before the injury plus just doesn't seem to get in the box for chances! A couple of sending offs that have cost us this season (one silly and one harsh).

I hate to single him out as he has been class for us over the years but I worry if we go into next season as him as our main striker next season as I just can't see where the goals are...

Thought?

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looks finished at this level to me and hides from any physical challenge which is hardly surprising considering what he has been through.

Real shame to see however we can't base decisions on sentiment and need a new senior striker.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
whether he stays or goes if we are serious about making progress then we need another player up front who could at least compete with Jimenez at his best. Depending of style of play Raul could play deeper with new signing as more of a out and out number 9, but who knows. Big summer coming up regardless. We also need a formation and style of play that will actually provide decent service to whoever is playing up front

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He had issues. Permanent ones.
If people don't want to see that no problem. Keep hoping.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Out of curiosity.

Has his record since January been any better than Willian Jose's last season?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should 100% keep him. He needs someone else to compete with him to the role though.
Take 10 to 15 million for him and put it towards a striker with pace capable of 10 goals +. With respect the injury has finished him at this level and it will be a case of diminishing returns.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think it’s difficult to judge as our issue has been more the lack of creativity and service behind him.
Even if, for example Lewendowski played for us today instead of Jimenez, I’m not convinced the result would have been different.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take 10 to 15 million for him and put it towards a striker with pace capable of 10 goals +. With respect the injury has finished him at this level and it will be a case of diminishing returns.
Ok, put towards who exactly? Hwang is costing us £14m. Cutrone cost us £17m. Fabio Silva cost us £35m.

He’s had one bad season, playing as a lone striker for a team that creates absolutely nothing. 6 goals (joint top) and 4 assists (joint top) still.

We need another striker who can actually compete with Raul.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, put towards who exactly? Hwang is costing us £14m. Cutrone cost us £17m. Fabio Silva cost us £35m.

He’s had one bad season, playing as a lone striker for a team that creates absolutely nothing. 6 goals (joint top) and 4 assists (joint top) still.

He's absolutely petrified of the ball, of the challenge, of the physical side of the game, a striker who can't head the balls. Busted flush sadly and it's not going to turn around for him.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I respect your opinions....but as a striker you would expect he'd chip in with near the top goals or assists unless you've got a midfield penalty taker or Ronaldo type on the wing. He just looks gone and it's a bit sad. Still love him, but Fabio coming on changed the dynamic a lot this season with his runs..... And he's not exactly Lewandowski ATM!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's like saying Grumpy was the tallest of the seven dwarves.
Or it’s like appreciating that in his first season back from a major trauma he is still our most effective goal scorer and creator in a team that struggles to create anything even against the poorest sides in the league.

I’m not saying we don’t have a problem up front, we do, we need more goals. We need another striker, 100%. But why does that mean we need to sell Raul?

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respect your opinions....but as a striker you would expect he'd chip in with near the top goals or assists unless you've got a midfield penalty taker or Ronaldo type on the wing. He just looks gone and it's a bit sad. Still love him, but Fabio coming on changed the dynamic a lot this season with his runs..... And he's not exactly Lewandowski ATM!
You would, yes. So he’s doing what is expected of him then. As I’ve said above, I’m not saying we don’t have problems up front. I just don’t see why selling Raul is the answer.

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A move is best for both parties, we need the money and he needs a new challenge.

jonesy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes needs Moving on along with 10 others In the squad

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
How is raul supposed to score or get into positions when he is forced to collect the ball on the wing and spend so much time out there ? he runs himself into the ground chasing all the time, todays game he had no chance with being made to play wide with useless hwang in the middle, I'd say its partly a loss in form/confidence but also being mismanaged massively, he really doesn't get many chances anymore.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of curiosity.

Has his record since January been any better than Willian Jose's last season?
The reaction is because firstly l hadn't thought of that and secondly the answer is almost certainly no.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Increasingly looking that way.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Or it’s like appreciating that in his first season back from a major trauma he is still our most effective goal scorer and creator in a team that struggles to create anything even against the poorest sides in the league.

I’m not saying we don’t have a problem up front, we do, we need more goals. We need another striker, 100%. But why does that mean we need to sell Raul?
If he was 23 and not 31 I would tend to agree more.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He diesnt play as a leading striker anymore. But there again, we dont feed our front men anyway.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it’s difficult to judge as our issue has been more the lack of creativity and service behind him.
Even if, for example Lewendowski played for us today instead of Jimenez, I’m not convinced the result would have been different.

Yet Pukki managed to hold off 4 and 5 defenders all by himself and create chances (and a goal) at times. No support needed. In contrast, our forwards seem to need 5 yards of clear space and 3 seconds of time to decide who to pass back to. Every week, see plenty of goals scored by strikers who make it happen themselves. Or assisted by another forward. I think it a bit of a myth that strikers need goals delivered to them by creative midfielders. ... Whenever I've watched Lewendowski (or Halaand etc), they can torment defences and score goals all by themselves. They can turn a half chance into a goal. The very best can make a goal out of nothing, thats' what they do. Maybe we are just so goal starved we've forgotten? :(

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The reaction is because firstly l hadn't thought of that and secondly the answer is almost certainly no.
He's got two goals since the end of January.

Willian only got one but in fairness he had one very harshly ruled out by VAR if I recall correctly.

So he technically doubled Willian's record if you're being generous. :rolleyes:

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet Pukki managed to hold off 4 and 5 defenders all by himself and create chances (and a goal) at times. No support needed. In contrast, our forwards seem to need 5 yards of clear space and 3 seconds of time to decide who to pass back to. Every week, see plenty of goals scored by strikers who make it happen themselves. Or assisted by another forward. I think it a bit of a myth that strikers need goals delivered to them by creative midfielders. ... Whenever I've watched Lewendowski (or Halaand etc), they can torment defences and score goals all by themselves. They can turn a half chance into a goal. The very best can make a goal out of nothing, thats' what they do. Maybe we are just so goal starved we've forgotten? :(
Was watching Pukki today, playing in a poor team, and wishing he was wearing old gold. I know we should be aiming higher, but even so…

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He looks finished at this level to me and hides from any physical challenge which is hardly surprising considering what he has been through.

Real shame to see however we can't base decisions on sentiment and need a new senior striker.
We should 100% keep him. He needs someone else to compete with him to the role though.
He’s done. He’s started to hide on the pitch.
@Bugsy911 & JadeWolf was you watching the same game as Raul was putting himself all over the place this afternoon. Nobody was putting any decent crosses in until the second half in fact Raul was going out wide right 1st half and made two great crosses. If they have had someone like him in the middle then they've have scored. He was deprived of a second half goal when Fabio pulled the ball back and Raul was just about to volley the ball in the net but a defender took it off his foot in mid air.

I agree with @Matt 100% he will be Mexico's Number 9 and should be still Wolves Number 9 next season and will score at least 10 goals with better service

" Form is temporary but class is permanent " for Raul Jimenez our record scoring Premier League Striker " ;)

Last edited:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I havent got a clue what he was doing today. Pukki looked ten times the player. Sad but he looks finished. Wish him all the best at his next club as he has been amazing for us but cant see him ever getting back to what he was.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Bugsy911 & JadeWolf was you watching the same game as Raul was putting himself all over the place this afternoon. Nobody was putting any decent crosses in until the second half in fact Raul was going out wide right 1st half and made two great crosses. If they have had someone like him in the middle then they've have scored. He was deprived of a second half goal when Fabio pulled the ball back and Raul was just about to volley the ball in the net but a defender took it of his foot in mid air.

I agree with @Matt 100% he will be Mexico's Number 9 and should be still Wolves Number 9 next season and will score at least 10 goals with better service

" Form is temporary but class is permanent " for Raul Jimenez our record scoring Premier League Striker " ;)
I was watching the same gane and see him hide behind the defender all the time...I know he has never been rapid however getting outrun all game by Grant Hanley sums it all up, I'm sure he is finished at this level and hope he can find a club in a less competitive league if he still wants to play.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we need to get back to two main strikers who can work together, Like Dougan and Richards, Bull and Mutch, Son and Kane etc. I cannot see a place for Raul if the team is to be rebuilt with the future in mind. We need to offload players like Hwang who are clearly incapable of regularly producing their best form. This summer should be no time for sentiment. The team is more important than individual players!

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
You may be right. I still struggle to imagine if Pukki was playing for us instead of Jimenez that we would have created more chances. Maybe it was more how we defended Pukki continually giving him space compared with how Norwich defended our strikers that was a key difference.

L78

Reaction score
I think we need to get back to two main strikers who can work together, Like Dougan and Richards, Bull and Mutch, Son and Kane etc. I cannot se a place for Raul if the team is to be rebuilt with the future in mind. We need to offload players like Hwang who are clearly incapable of regularly producing their best form. This summer should be no time for sentiment. The team is more important than individual players!
I will be surprised if fosun get rid of
**** hee chan big puller for our Korean fan base

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom