Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Romain Saïss x 200

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m hoping that Jeff and Saisse can reach an agreement and he stays for at least one more season. There may be other incoming or outgoings this window so I hope we can keep the disruptions to a minimum.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Done so well for us and comes across as a great guy but I think this is best for all.

Could be a few farewells against Norwich!
Agreed

He's had an excellent first 80% of the season but fair to say his performances have been very poor for a while.

Top guy by all accounts and he's been surprisingly integral

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Was about to post this myself, just take a moment to look at those rankings, there are over 500 players in the Premier League and Romain Saiss is ranked in the top 10 on five indicators and all of them positive. That's a Wolves player there, a top defender, in England's top division!!

If the Norwich game is to be his last game for us at Molineux, I hope we have the chance to bid him farewell in a proper way.
Defensive stats are a bit of a misnomer, Van Dijk is extremely low in most categories for pure defensive ones for e.g

Here are top interceptions for e.g

Mostly lower to mid table players

Headed clearances

Stats need context always but defensive ones tell you very little

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone know about his injury? Shame if he misses out on Sunday, with what could be his last appearance at home.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Moroccan Richard Stearman probably a nice guy too but just isn't good enough. The fact he's been a starter since randy Ryan ****ed up his career here is indicative of our poor recruitment in that area.

Needs to go as we need better and will go most likely to some Middle Eastern league on stupid money I'd be surprised if a big euro team takes a punt on him even on a free.

Appreciate his effort and commitment here but ultimately he should never have been anything more than a squad player.

Randy Ryan?

With me not being local I don't get to hear the chatter so I'm not sure what's gone in there.

Same with De Wolf, Lescott, Bonatini and probably a few more. I think I know bits, but probably not all of it.

If anyone wants to DM me with stories, I'd be interested.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
yes 2 games is not really enough(league only v.saints and bees) but passes were 63.9%
Hoever is next lowest with 71.1%.
I really hate this focus on stats. It stops players moving the ball forwards or trying a difficult through ball, it is why we see so many sideways or backward passes. They know when they come off the pitch some analyst with a clipboard is going to criticise their pass success rate.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really hate this focus on stats. It stops players moving the ball forwards or trying a difficult through ball, it is why we see so many sideways or backward passes. They know when they come off the pitch some analyst with a clipboard is going to criticise their pass success rate.
Not sure Jackie Charlton would have had high stats but he knew how to defend...

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be sad to see him go, due to him being her pre nuno and a bargain signing really.

However there is no room for sentiment here and Saiss is one of those players that needed upgrading on 2 seasons ago.

Thanks for the past 6 years and i wish you well.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still think I certain games if we were to play 4 at the back he could be useful as the deepest midfielder.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It would be a massive mistake to let him go. He's a solid pro who covers multiple positions (and scores goals). I'm not suggesting he should start but absolutely is a squad player.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It would be a massive mistake to let him go. He's a solid pro who covers multiple positions (and scores goals). I'm not suggesting he should start but absolutely is a squad player.
Doubt that’s what he wants.
I think it’s the correct time to move him on

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Had some good times with us - especially when he scored. But its the right time for him to go. On form he is solid but doesn't take us to the next level. Passing and positioning wasn't the best for a PL defender. There was always a mistake in him and that never left him. A slower less physical league would suit him better - even Barca may be interested if stories are true.
Good luck to him. Never any trouble to us that I heard of. Good pro and human-being.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Had some good times with us - especially when he scored. But its the right time for him to go. On form he is solid but doesn't take us to the next level. Passing and positioning wasn't the best for a PL defender. There was always a mistake in him and that never left him. A slower less physical league would suit him better - even Barca may be interested if stories are true.
Good luck to him. Never any trouble to us that I heard of. Good pro and human-being.

He's got the best forward passing of any Premier League Defender this season statistically.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's got the best forward passing of any Premier League Defender this season statistically.
Also probably got one of the highest individual errors % that contribute to goals being scored

He’s been poor since afcon, is too immobile to play in a back 4 - and is a position we need to strengthen.

Makes sense to me - provided we actually have a plan to replace him

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Quite honestly, in retrospect, how could players perform as well as they had the ability to do in the latter part of the year when it looked as though some had the sand already between their toes, and the project we all believe in was looking to have been shelved. His comment of wanting to belong to 'a serious project' pretty much summed up the alarming fall away and the explanation for that is still unknown outside Molineux.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Also probably got one of the highest individual errors % that contribute to goals being scored

He’s been poor since afcon, is too immobile to play in a back 4 - and is a position we need to strengthen.

Has he?

Can I see that stat?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Jose Sa is top of our errors leading to goals on 2, Neves is next on 1....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from Neves he’s been my favourite Fosun signing. Sure he has moments of madness but in a squad full of nice footballers he’s the only one with some genuine “needle” and aggression.

At his age, he’s right to go. He was probably offered a season contract or maybe two on reduced terms. As a free I can see him going to Spain or Portugal where it’s slower, get a whacking signing on fee and perhaps a 3 year deal somewhere. That’s his retirement fund sorted and his kids futures financially secured.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It is a good time for both to part ways I think, been absolutely brilliant for us but think the timing is right to move. Obviously we didn't offer him enough to keep him, probably one of those things where it was a courtesy offer we knew he couldn't accept.

Love him as a character, but time never stands still.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The loss of 'characters' in the dressing room is a concern, but he is very replaceable in terms of current ability. Kilman and Toti should already be ahead of him now.

Hope he gets a lucrative move as he's been a great servant,but probably one of those where it is best for both parties. No way should we be offering a multi year deal on big money.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s not be shortsighted, good people.

Until around January, he was a crucial part of the SECOND BEST DEFENCE IN THE PL.

Ok, some might say that he was just doing his job and we can’t let emotion decide who gets a one or two year extension and you’d be right……

…….but with the possible big changes in the squad this window, maybe keeping a solid squad player for another two years might not be a bad investment.

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Full message:

The moment I feared the most has come…. The moment to say goodbye to you after 6 wonderful years with you.
It was an honour and a privilege to wear these colours and to contribute to the success and renewal of this club.
I have met exceptional people over these 6 years, always looking out for me and my family.

Thanks to the fans for your support despite the ups and downs, you’ve always been behind me.
Thank you to the various people working at the club for your kindness on a daily basis.
Thank you to the various technical and medical staff for your work, for having been an important part of our success.

Finally, thank you to all the players that I consider as a family. A wardrobe of exceptional men that I will never forget.

Thank you Wolves
I’ll be a wolf forever❤️
RS27⚫

"A wardrobe of exceptional men" is a turn of phrase I'm not familiar with but he sounds said to be leaving. Best of luck Romain.

Back
Top Bottom