Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

ng7wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
On the Express and Star podcast today they said that nothing will be done to Molineux until we get revenue from the side projects of eSports, Fashion and Music.
But surely the best way to get revenue from those things is to rebuild the steve bull stand to include facilities capable of hosting gigs, fashion shows and esports events

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
We don’t even get Banks’s in the north bank bar anymore!
The beer at Wolves is an absolute disgrace. I'm not overly fussy honest, but Worthington's is awful. Had a can of London Pride on Saturday. There are better places, but how hard can it be? I swear whoever agreed to Worthington's as the only 'beer' option while there are 3 Ciders must have never actually drunk it.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

For owners who say that they want to be around for the long term it's incredibly short sighted not to develop the stadium, both to increase capacity and improve the fan experience.

Jeff says that the priority is to invest in the squad, well that's fine and dandy and who wouldnt want better players, but when you think that we spent 85 million on Fabio Semedo and Hwang the better play would have been to put 50 mil into the stadium development.

If Jeff wants guarantees that we'll be top six by the time the stadium is finished he ain't going to get them. Ever.
£50M on the stadium likely wouldn't even do a stand. The return on that would also be fractional. It certainly wouldn't have been the better play

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

My cousin is a Chelsea STH and he managed to get me one of his mates tickets on Saturday which was erm... interesting at the end as you can imagine. But just following on from some of the comments above, I was quite impressed with the facilities in the Matthew Harding stand there just for the normal non corporate punters, a proper pub type bar with seating, TVs £3 a pint too before the game. Only downside was there was only Guinness, some ****ty lager and a cider on draft. Plenty of toilets, no queuing in a 5 deep scrum, in fact some very orderly queuing for a slash which threw me a bit. Just whole lot more civilised and in a stand that is much older than our newest one and has if anything less concourse space. Ended up having four pints in the ground which would never happen at Molineux just down to a) time and b) cost.
Was it full? They only had ST holders in

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for the decent response Berlin.
Except for the misquote of Jeff Shi.
Jeff stated he hoped Wolves would be one of ‘THE BEST’ clubs in the world.
“I hope people around the world can recognize Wolves as a brand – and not only about football: about e-sports, about entertainment.”

I know facts are annoying but it’d still be nice if we all used them from time to time.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
£50M on the stadium likely wouldn't even do a stand. The return on that would also be fractional. It certainly wouldn't have been the better play
North bank cost £18M I think.
So perfectly reasonable to think 50 could re do bull and join up to an extended south bank. Certainly £60M.
Though you are clearly right that it’s hard for that to show a profit, because what we currently have isn’t all that bad.
5-10k extra fans a week takes a long time to pay back £60M.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
The beer at Wolves is an absolute disgrace. I'm not overly fussy honest, but Worthington's is awful. Had a can of London Pride on Saturday. There are better places, but how hard can it be? I swear whoever agreed to Worthington's as the only 'beer' option while there are 3 Ciders must have never actually drunk it.
Even the carling was warm last home game in the SB - at least provide cold lager - can’t they switch fridges on earlier. It’s small details like this that makes me think are they really that bothered about customer service. And 4 out of the 5 hand sanitisers in the SB I tried were empty at 2.15pm before anyone had used them. Again haven’t they got one person who can go round and check. It’s just poor.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

North bank cost £18M I think.
So perfectly reasonable to think 50 could re do bull and join up to an extended south bank. Certainly £60M.
Though you are clearly right that it’s hard for that to show a profit, because what we currently have isn’t all that bad.
5-10k extra fans a week takes a long time to pay back £60M.
Think Liverpool spent £80M expanding Anfield Road (was supposed to be £60M but price rises because of Covid bounced it up to £80M).
Not got any expertise in it but would imagine the lost revenue for best part of 2 seasons then the increase in couple of million more a year would take a long time to pay back. Especially as we'd have to loan money to do it, those transfers were stretched out as they all are so not like we had £50M just sitting around

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think Liverpool spent £80M expanding Anfield Road (was supposed to be £60M but price rises because of Covid bounced it up to £80M).
Not got any expertise in it but would imagine the lost revenue for best part of 2 seasons then the increase in couple of million more a year would take a long time to pay back. Especially as we'd have to loan money to do it, those transfers were stretched out as they all are so not like we had £50M just sitting around

I was just reading that the Anfield expansion grew matchday income by £11m per season based on domestic games only, and another £7m on top with European games, mostly from hospitality. You can see how that would reasonably finance such an expensive project, even outside of London, and why other clubs are progressing similar plans.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I was just reading that the Anfield expansion grew matchday income by £11m per season based on domestic games only, and another £7m on top with European games, mostly from hospitality. You can see how that would reasonably finance such an expensive project, even outside of London, and why other clubs are progressing similar plans.
Yeah, i think £11M is not far off our total matchday income for the stadium for the season

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't Molineux complicated by location though?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I went to Ibrox a few years back .The concourse of our stand was massive with various food and drink outlets including 3/4 bars serving decent draught ales and bottles ,Macdonalds ,pizza,fish and chips and even curry .The toilets were spacious and clean with no queuing .I don’t know what the facilities are like in the other stands but no doubt they are similar.
I have sat in all 4 stands at Molineux and whilst some facilities are better than others the fayre on offer is generally naff and over priced .The toilets are generally awful .I have seen the same tap dripping in the Steve Bull for over 15 years ,door locks missing ,no loo roll and overall quite inadequate and depressing .
We used to say we would stand knee high in **** if the team was performing well but eventually we got introduced to creature comforts at grounds but Molineux is very much behind other grounds in terms of what is on offer at over inflated prices .Who chooses the products and sets the prices and thinks it’s ok to serve warm lager which is often the case?.Does anyone at the club care ?

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Banks's in the Steve Bull Upper...... Saying that I haven't bought any food or drink up there for 4 years. Maybe twice got a beer.
Think how many pints I would've got at HT in that time? And tbf would've paid £4.50 for a pale ale or golden beer or something.
x7000 Steve Bull Upperites = a lot of £££.

mr_j_007

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I went to Huddersfield recently, it was a £10 in, sat in the equivalent of the Steve bull half way up on the half way line, magic rock beer in the stands.

There is different ways to cater to football fans and there needs to be different offers for the diverse range of fans that attend these days. This is only a good thing. But the club at the minute in respect of the stadium (and a lot else) seems completely stale. That’s not to say stale and in the prem in the top half is bad, but you have to keep things fresh and inviting and both on the pitch, commercially and otherwise we seem to be failing at this.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't Liverpool have to buy the road behind the away end, change the course of the road, Stanley Park maybe? They'd probably have to pay some sort of community fund for that?
Trouble with Wolves, we've had a ground consistently 5000 below what we could've got for decades and lost all that revenue, shirt sales, future support. And yet we still take the short term answer.

Dragonwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I am still amazed that we havent built an all purpose arena at i54. Not saying its what everyone wants but it would be most consistant with the business model

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't Molineux complicated by location though?

Not so much that the Steve Bull couldn’t be rebuilt significantly larger and with much better and larger hospitality facilities. There is a lot of wasted space in the current stand, because of its angled tiers and gap to the pitch, and poorly utilised office space, and there is a fair amount of space behind, especially if a new stand made best use of the site layout (I like the old Molineux Street stand did). If most of the additional revenue at Anfield came from the enhanced hospitality, then I don’t see Molineux’s location being a barrier to doing that in the Steve Bull or BW.

All academic it seems, but looking at the enhanced revenues from enlarged stadiums outside London, it appears the economics are attractive if Wolves remain in the PL and interest rates do not rise back to their historic levels.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I have said it several times and with the England games on the horizon are they actually going to give the ground a spruce up in time? The big wigs will see the Billy Wright stand as they arrive which still looks excellent.The Steve Bull both inside and out is sadly lacking unfortunately.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I am still amazed that we havent built an all purpose arena at i54. Not saying its what everyone wants but it would be most consistant with the business model
The Council, with the University and the Wolves are committed to a regeneration of the City Centre (I know they aren't making a very good job of it right now), Molineux is key to the City Centre's economy.

Transport routes, unsustainable facilities that would lie idle for non-match days and the fact that it's probably the farthest point away from the majority of it's supporters are all reasons. And that's even before you look at how disastrous such a move can be when you look at clubs like Notlob.

In short Wolves wouldn't get planning permission for the i54, God forbid they did.

SevernWolf

Groupie
Reaction score

If their business model is to make Wolves a leisure brand - and there was talk about them building a hotel at one point - then it makes sense for them to stay put. There's a desperate need for a decent hotel in the city centre for people visiting the Grand Theatre, and the Civic and Wulfrun Halls when they (eventually) reopen. Molineux is almost unique in being right in town, and it would be a real shame to lose that.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If their business model is to make Wolves a leisure brand - and there was talk about them building a hotel at one point - then it makes sense for them to stay put. There's a desperate need for a decent hotel in the city centre for people visiting the Grand Theatre, and the Civic and Wulfrun Halls when they (eventually) reopen. Molineux is almost unique in being right in town, and it would be a real shame to lose that.

In addition, the trend has been away from moving clubs out of town for a long time. The fears of a move to I54 really need to die. They're based on a few bad club moves in the 90's. But the vast majority of english stadium moves in the past twenty years have been within the urban area, often within just a few miles.

(I'm not advocating for a move. We're staying put. I'm just tired of seeing the i54 come up over and over as if the only two options are 'stay in the exact current footprint or move to i54' when there are many options between them.)

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Didn't Liverpool have to buy the road behind the away end, change the course of the road, Stanley Park maybe? They'd probably have to pay some sort of community fund for that?
Trouble with Wolves, we've had a ground consistently 5000 below what we could've got for decades and lost all that revenue, shirt sales, future support. And yet we still take the short term answer.
Absolutely no chance would we have filled 37k in the championship, not a prayer

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
The Council, with the University and the Wolves are committed to a regeneration of the City Centre (I know they aren't making a very good job of it right now), Molineux is key to the City Centre's economy.

Transport routes, unsustainable facilities that would lie idle for non-match days and the fact that it's probably the farthest point away from the majority of it's supporters are all reasons. And that's even before you look at how disastrous such a move can be when you look at clubs like Notlob.

In short Wolves wouldn't get planning permission for the i54, God forbid they did.
While I completely agree and think i54 is a terrible idea on all counts, just to ask, is it possible that Staffs CC would give planning permission on the north side of the motorway?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Jeff was specifically asked about a hotel to improve the attractiveness of Wolverhampton in the Ask Wolves and he said it wasn't his problem

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No matter how many threads are opened about this, the debate is over!!

We’re staying at Molineux, and I’m absolutely delighted!

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Attachments

• 76975FFA-DB19-4124-AE00-2CC4AF478EBE.jpeg
    76975FFA-DB19-4124-AE00-2CC4AF478EBE.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom