Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux Atmosphere

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is why the north bank ain’t great you can’t hear the lower tier from the upper part
The problem with the atmosphere in the North Bank has a few dimensions. One, as you say, is the roof. Another is a longer-term shift that dates back to when we had away fans in the South Bank (and which obviously has a longer history too): firstly, those that wanted a bit of banter chose that end after Hayward's rebuild, then there was a gradual drift from the North Bank as fans saw the atmosphere was usually better, and finally when away fans finally vacated their section, seats became available for younger fans who'd been spread around prior to that, hence WV1 and the demographic difference you see between the right and central/left sections within the South Bank. Finally, you have the appalling decision to put comfy seats in the part of the stand with most potential to generate an atmosphere - in the lower tier underneath the overhang.

Last edited:

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As much as I despise Newcastle, I noted yesterday they had loads of flags flying in the ground. Big flags too, gave the stadium a decent atmosphere, and made if feel a bit like a European stadium?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The problem with the atmosphere in the North Bank has a few dimensions. One, as you say, is the roof. Another is a longer-term shift that dates back to when we had away fans in the South Bank (and which obviously has a longer history too): firstly, those that wanted a bit of banter chose that end after Hayward's rebuild, then there was a gradual drift from the North Bank as fans saw the atmosphere was usually better, and finally when away fans finally vacated their section, seats became available for younger fans who'd been spread around prior to that, hence WV1 and the demographic difference you see between the right and central/left sections within the South Bank. Finally, you have the appalling decision to put comfy seats in the part of the stand with most potential to generate an atmosphere - in the lower tier underneath the overhang.
The problem with the atmosphere in the north bank is nobody sings ....I can say that cause I sit in there....it's shocking....the previous stand was the same..

It's the folk in there , it aye the roof ....stick Leeds in there it would be bouncing.....

Last edited:

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The problem with the atmosphere in the north bank is nobody sings ....I can say that cause I sit in there....it's shocking....the previous stand was the same..

It's the folk in there , it aye the roof ....stick Leeds in there it would be bouncing.....
The SJH north bank was far better for atmosphere, I‘ve had a season ticket in the North bank since 1992. Yes the atmosphere declined over the years but was still better than it is now. @lostwolf post pretty much summed it up. People do sing in there, admittedly not enough, but it’s hard to get it going and keep it going as It doesn’t hold the sound and most of the people in there will only join in if it really gets going.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The SJH north bank was far better for atmosphere, I‘ve had a season ticket in the North bank since 1992. Yes the atmosphere declined over the years but was still better than it is now. @lostwolf post pretty much summed it up. People do sing in there, admittedly not enough, but it’s hard to get it going and keep it going as It doesn’t hold the sound and most of the people in there will only join in if it really gets going.
Your probably right that the old stand was better but there aye above 20 people who sing in the upper tier of the north bank on a regular basis.....we've hardly sung the last 4/5 years when things have been good....the roof doesn't help but it aye a singing stand .....if we went away and seen a stand like that at a match we would be taking the ****. It's shocking ..

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

mobile phones are the problem.Crystal palaces ultras would be great in there as well.

wait until to euro ultras come here.Then people can moan about the fireworks.I mean we have the ****ing things banned cuz one hit the roof.When these ****ers come,the roof will be blown off. :tonguewink:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
mobile phones are the problem.Crystal palaces ultras would be great in there as well.

wait until to euro ultras come here.Then people can moan about the fireworks.I mean we have the ****ing things banned cuz one hit the roof.When these ****ers come,the roof will be blown off. :tonguewink:
Can't blame phones.... nobody can get on the tinternet in the ground......I remember the slovan Bratislava in there....they all had full pints all game and nobody said nowt....they was singing....

Spitfire

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can't blame phones.... nobody can get on the tinternet in the ground......I remember the slovan Bratislava in there....they all had full pints all game and nobody said nowt....they was singing....
Kid in front of me is on his phone nearly all game. Guess it might be 5G? Must miss most of the game:oops:.

R

reanswolf

That is why the north bank ain’t great you can’t hear the lower tier from the upper part

I remember that - police were passing their pints over to them. Unbelievable considering if we tried to do that we would be arrested.
Mind you they made a right noise, reminded me of English fans from the 1970s

Puregold

Reaction score
As much as I despise Newcastle, I noted yesterday they had loads of flags flying in the ground. Big flags too, gave the stadium a decent atmosphere, and made if feel a bit like a European stadium?
I have noticed lately, watching Italian football on BT, Roma, Genoa and Sampdoria, they seem to have thousands of various flags, waving through out the game, makes an excellent visual experience, with singing at a high volume level. Would love to see that at Molineux!

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Atmosphere is created by the fans not the ground. Lots of grounds abroad have no roofs, and a running track, and create brilliant atmospheres. Watched a couple of videos of Rangers games, the difference, is what ever age they are, they all get up and sing, every stand, at Molineux, most sit on their hands, whilst the ones that do, sing about 4 songs. We are miles away from an intimidating ground sadly.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So ya try and use ya phone then.Or else ya wouldn't know.And yes there are rules for home supporters which we have to abide by.And NO ****ing rules for foreign fans.Which I just cannot get my head around.Are WMP scared of foreign ultras.

Anyway back to mobile phones....ya dow need internet for the camera to take photos of free kicks and pens.And that's the problem.:mad:

beppe7619

Reaction score
So ya try and use ya phone then.Or else ya wouldn't know.And yes there are rules for home supporters which we have to abide by.And NO ****ing rules for foreign fans.Which I just cannot get my head around.Are WMP scared of foreign ultras.

Anyway back to mobile phones....ya dow need internet for the camera to take photos of free kicks and pens.And that's the problem.:mad:
I seen that to they was drinking in the stand and police did not bother doing anything

R

reanswolf

Atmosphere is created by the fans not the ground. Lots of grounds abroad have no roofs, and a running track, and create brilliant atmospheres. Watched a couple of videos of Rangers games, the difference, is what ever age they are, they all get up and sing, every stand, at Molineux, most sit on their hands, whilst the ones that do, sing about 4 songs. We are miles away from an intimidating ground sadly.
Only for Celtic games or big European games, but yes its quality.

Ground and stadium design does make a difference though.

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Only for Celtic games or big European games, but yes its quality.

Ground and stadium design does make a difference though.
I agree ground and stadium design makes a difference, when it's poor to start off with. However badly designed grounds like ours can still be intimidating if lots more make an effort. The fans make the difference

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a good job I'm not the owner as I'd mek the South bank 18 and over.The family enclosure is there for a purpose.FAMILY.And I'd start with getting the singer's in SL3.Not stuck up the top corner of SL1.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a good job I'm not the owner as I'd mek the South bank 18 and over.The family enclosure is there for a purpose.FAMILY.And I'd start with getting the singer's in SL3.Not stuck up the top corner of SL1.
I didn't touch the family enclosure as a kid and neither have my two lads and both are as vocal as me !! Personally think overtime you would see the atmosphere diminish further as these kids would be used to a tame atmosphere when they come of age to actually go in the south bank , personally would rather not go if i had to go
In there !! Are you also suggesting they would have to be banned from attending away too?

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I ay suggesting no such thing.But in today's safety first issues.Unless yam a euro ultra.Young kids aged 5 standing on seats in the South bank ay a very good way to bring ya kids up..Is it..Not saying yours are that young,but there's bin plenty of occasions this year where that has happened.And dressing these youngsters in stone island clobber,I think some need to learn how to be parents.Let the kids be kid for a few years FfS.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get the over 40's out too;)

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a good job the over 40s are in there,or if would be bloody silent.I just dow know what the wv1 youngsters bring to the party.Cuz they car chant for love or money.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a good job the over 40s are in there,or if would be bloody silent.I just dow know what the wv1 youngsters bring to the party.Cuz they car chant for love or money.
:):):) back in the day the tremendous atmosphere in the NB then later the SB came from predominantly young people thats what we need now sadly cost and availability makes that no longer possible.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Considering I've got COPD I've not bin too bad mate.Touch wood I've never contacted Covid.Well nothing has ever shown on the flow test things. :tonguewink: Cut right back on the drinking though.Stopping in when we were on shutdown did wonders for me.Keep well mate.Yeah we will have that drink before the seasons end.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No I ay suggesting no such thing.But in today's safety first issues.Unless yam a euro ultra.Young kids aged 5 standing on seats in the South bank ay a very good way to bring ya kids up..Is it..Not saying yours are that young,but there's bin plenty of occasions this year where that has happened.And dressing these youngsters in stone island clobber,I think some need to learn how to be parents.Let the kids be kid for a few years FfS.
It’s the only way !!! **** the family enclosure !!!

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why exaggerate? In recent times (early Nuno) molineux was phenomenal. Similarly I’ve been to rangers games where it’s been flat

We’re okay, not the best, but pretty good

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Why exaggerate? In recent times (early Nuno) molineux was phenomenal. Similarly I’ve been to rangers games where it’s been flat

We’re okay, not the best, but pretty good
Exaggerate ? We are talking about now not 4 to 5 years ago, the remark about Wolves and Rangers is what I am witnessing now.

beppe7619

Reaction score
I was reading that when sir jack rebuilt molineux the architect he used had never dealt with building stadiums before. So maybe this explains why molineux is not the best for keeping the sound in the ground

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think molineux is just as noisy or quiet as any other ground in England to be honest. Football is very much peaks and troughs, when we’re doing well it’s loud and when we aren’t doing so well it’s not quite as loud. I go to lots of games up and down the country watching other games and it’s exactly the same. Anfield can be loud or it can be a library.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exaggerate ? We are talking about now not 4 to 5 years ago, the remark about Wolves and Rangers is what I am witnessing now.

“We are miles away from an intimidating ground sadly.”

That’s exaggerating

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I think Molineux comes into its own under the lights. Those late evening or nighttime kick offs it can be absolutely electric. The worst atmosphere is undoubtedly when we play at dinnertime. There must be something in the theory that the longer our fans have to get ****ed before a game, the better!

Oakhamwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
“We are miles away from an intimidating ground sadly.”

That’s exaggerating
ok If that’s what you think, you are too easily pleased, we are better than some in the Prem, but that bar is low, it’s now an English thing, English grounds are not intimidating, a lot of grounds abroad are, as it clearly shows when Euro clubs supporters turn up in our stadiums. Maybe u get it now I have had to spell it out to you, yes we chant, but rarely intimidate now, there is a difference

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The atmosphere has been **** since Nuno left. Whether that is solely the reason why, I don't know, but the atmosphere hasn't been anywhere near as good. Perhaps the novelty of being back with the big boys has wore off. Maybe we have become a bit arrogant, the effect of being the "underdog" has left us.

Back
Top Bottom