Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Molineux Atmosphere

beppe7619

Reaction score
I feel that Molineux a lot of crowd noise is not echoing around the ground. At Newcastle you could hear the atmosphere trapped in the ground through congregated sheeting up against the side of the stands and a longer roof. I suppose what I am trying to say is you want to create the sound effect from molineux subway into the ground. The old south bank had that from the roof

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think these are all minor details.

Newcastle's atmosphere was poor for ten years under Ashley. They stop throwing their toys out the pram with a new owner and the atmosphere is back!

With us, we are a poor team to watch, so the fans can't really get going. I've said many times I believe the English fan culture is linked to what you watch. We don't just stand around and bounce all game, you get emotions based on how the team plays. The vast majority of best atmospheres people will recall, Wolves have played well.

The type of person who goes to Molineux has changed which has had an impact as well but we're still one of the best in the Premier League (IMO) if we have the right ingredients, like drinking time and Wolves go for it.

No doubt that certain things could improve it as you mention but if we get a good Wolves team that goes for it, our atmosphere will still be very good.

beppe7619

Reaction score
I think these are all minor details.

Newcastle's atmosphere was poor for ten years under Ashley. They stop throwing their toys out the pram with a new owner and the atmosphere is back!

With us, we are a poor team to watch, so the fans can't really get going. I've said many times I believe the English fan culture is linked to what you watch. We don't just stand around and bounce all game, you get emotions based on how the team plays. The vast majority of best atmospheres people will recall, Wolves have played well.

The type of person who goes to Molineux has changed which has had an impact as well but we're still one of the best in the Premier League (IMO) if we have the right ingredients, like drinking time and Wolves go for it.

No doubt that certain things could improve it as you mention but if we get a good Wolves team that goes for it, our atmosphere will still be very good.
I just feel there could be some cheap fixes like sheeting the sides of the south bank and north bank. Wouldn’t cost much but would help

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

I feel that Molineux a lot of crowd noise is not echoing around the ground. At Newcastle you could hear the atmosphere trapped in the ground through congregated sheeting up against the side of the stands and a longer roof. I suppose what I am trying to say is you want to create the sound effect from molineux subway into the ground. The old south bank had that from the roof
Atmosphere at Newcastle from their fans was poor.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The old South Bank hardly had a roof :)

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Atmosphere at Newcastle from their fans was poor.
Talking to my son who was there, it’s difficult to say from the vantage of the away fans, as they are all sitting above the top of the roof of two stands.

beppe7619

Reaction score
Didn't hear a thing from them till the penalty
I am not saying anything about the support of Newcastle or crowd. I am on about how the noise is locked in the ground from being that high up you could hear the crowd bouncing off the roof and the plastic sheeting on the side that the tv screen was on. If you had 30000 fans in a subway or 30000 outside in the open which crowd would make the most noise

R

reanswolf

Molineux , with its wide open spaces, is never going to be great atmosphere-wise, even if the fans are making great noise. I despair at the number of times a new Steve Bull stand is mentioned, if only that stand could actually be redone and moved back closer to Molineux it would make it a great ground once again. Especially if it was joined up to the 2 ends.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
People moan about an identikit bowl, but everyone has a decent view and the noise stays in. Although easily the best atmosphere I've been to this season was Leeds.

Last edited:

beppe7619

Reaction score
Molineux , with its wide open spaces, is never going to be great atmosphere-wise, even if the fans are making great noise. I despair at the number of times a new Steve Bull stand is mentioned, if only that stand could actually be redone and moved back closer to Molineux it would make it a great ground once again. Especially if it was joined up to the 2 ends.
The north bank or south bank has to be at 100% to create a atmosphere Man U in the cup was probably the best. But it does not feel like a closed ground

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle atmosphere was bobbins until they scored, and even then they were waving flags about - hugely disappointing from a traditionally great fanbase.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of interest, which stadiums do have good atmospheres in England?

Few and far between.
Very few these days.

There are some like us and Blades with proper, mostly working class fans that were great when exceeding expectations. You've got Palace with their plastic 'ultras', they're embarrassing but noisy to be fair. Leeds are good home and away. Newcastle are great away but I've always thought they were a bit crap at home. Portsmouth are good, Sunderland too. To be honest, Villa Park is pretty good. I was impressed with Forest a few seasons back but the time before (dunno the year, mid 2000s maybe?) they were terrible. Birmingham away are usually good but again awful at home.

After that the barrel is getting scraped... United and Liverpool are both brilliant when they're at it, they have brilliant unique songs, but outside of the massive games they're ****e. Like I said on another thread, we're not great with our weird ground, obsession with ripping off crap songs at the expense of older classics, and ageing fanbase, but we're still probably in the top 5 home atmospheres at Molineux.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only been to St James’ park once, when Doherty got the ET winner, but have to say it’s by far the loudest stadium I’ve been in.

Put it down to acoustics/ passion, whatever you want, but it was effing loud.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only been to St James’ park once, when Doherty got the ET winner, but have to say it’s by far the loudest stadium I’ve been in.

I was there for that and didn't think they were great to be honest?! They've got better songs than us though...

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loftus Road was always a good atmosphere low roof helps
I never thought it was that good when I went, despite having loads of potential. They do have a good go at 'cooome ooon yooou Rs' though, that's loud going all round the ground for free kicks and corners - something we should get going again. Proper little ground though, I love it, some good pubs in Shepherds Bush, though some of the views in the top tier are dismal! Years back (late 90s I think) we went in their social club... if anyone's seen the film Nil by Mouth it was like that!

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I went when we lost 4-1 in 2011. Right on the back row. Bloke in front had binoculars. I agree, the sound was massive when they scored.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was there for that and didn't think they were great to be honest?! They've got better songs than us though...

I’ve not heard a stadium come anywhere near as loud as they were when they scored to make it 1-1, and that was in the first half. I’ve seen us concede late winners/ equalizers on more times than I’d like to admit away from home - and it’s never come close.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Much as I dislike them in many ways Leeds were brilliant this season, they forced the team back into the game not to mention giving the ref little choice but to award the soft pen!

Like us 3 years ago, Stoke before that etc, the joy of having just returned to the Prem has a big effect.

Judging the big clubs by our visits is probably unfair though, never heard OT, Anfield, Emirates or Spurs really loud, but I'm sure they can be for the right game.

beppe7619

Reaction score
Selhurst park has a good atmosphere the low roof in the old stadiums do make a difference. As I mentioned in this thread i am not saying Newcastle atmosphere was good or bad it is the echo effect it has that you could hear it from high up bouncing off the roof and congregated plastic sheeting

beppe7619

Reaction score
Also when molineux is redeveloped they have to create the best effect to keep the sound in the ground as it is worth a goal start

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
I don’t know about acoustics, there was more atmosphere at Newcastle when there was no roof on the Gallowgate end. How does that work?

Back
Top Bottom