Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bruno Lage

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brunos biggest challenge was following on from Nuno, a section of our fanbase at the end of last season were like how Newcastle when they were pining after Rafa and I thought sections of our fans would be similar not accepting Bruno or anyone else purely because he wasn't Nuno....

So far he is doing a tremendous job, we are in very good hands.

Well done to whoever made the decision to employ him.
Absolutely, good work by Jeff and Jorge!
Working Man's Club double act?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was very much Nuno out last season….. not because I didn’t love him or what he did for the club in the previous seasons, but because I could just tell he had lost that spark to his touchline persona/antics and also the amazing skill he had to motivate the team and the players and performances went backwards at a rate of knots and let’s be honest they weren’t looking like there was much hope he was going to be able to turn it around.

I am glad Bruno has come in and achieved what he has with the same players bar Sa….
The fact Bruno kept Kilman and showed the faith In him when Nuno had written him off and dropped him at times when he had been playing well is significant to our success this season.

They are different managers and Nuno will always be the fantastic manager who built the foundations for Bruno to continue the rebuilding of a fantastic club from the crap state we had been in for decades…..

The future under Bruno excites me, we are in the second chapter of the fosun plan. But we can never forget how much joy Nuno brought us before he was sacked in chapter one.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fascinating to see the goals conceded in that table above. We thought Nuno had us well drilled defensively but at this stage in the last 3 seasons we had conceded 23, 25 and 29 goals - this year 15? You have to put this down to Lage and the way he has improved Coady's game immeasurably and the fact he has made Kilman into a potential England player.
Four things spring to mind, all linked to Bruno -
1. Jose Sa - his style of play (and shot stopping) means that we can play a higher line and he’s happy to dominate his box. It avoids that one or two extra touches that can go wrong whilst facing your own goal.
2. We are defending as a back 3 rather than 2 Centre Half’s and a sweeper.
3. We’ve gone man for man for free kicks and corners rather than zonal. Yesterday was the first time we’d conceded from a dead ball situation all season. I understand zonal marking but have never liked it, don’t know why some coaches swear by it.
4. We’ve learnt how to defend crosses. Last season the opposition only needed to cross the ball to almost guarantee a goal. Again partly down to Sa, teams know that he will come for a lot of crosses so need to make crosses slightly deeper.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
Don't dismiss zonal. The problem with man to man is the attacker knows where he is going to run and the defender has to respond. So the attacker will always get there first. Man-to-man means lots of grabbing holding & blocking and risks of penalties (far too few of which are given for these offences). I also think we should leave AT LEAST two on the halfway line. It forces opponent to leave 3 back there, plus another one or two filling the gap, so leaves the penalty area far less crowded and allowing a good keeper on crosses (e.g. Sa) to actually get to the ball and not be impeded by players of both teams.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly didn’t think we could do better than what Nuno did for us but Bruno is a different person his life is football. The start of cv19 was the end of nuno it hurt him a lot personally and it showed on the pitch with the behind the scenes stuff whatever happened with him and Jeff. Pandemic or not Bruno is a smart individual. Look at how we have progressed through the season. We’re getting better with every game….. LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!! I feel confident going into each game now. Knowing we will see decent football.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting that when he was being interviewed after one of the games and Covid19 testing was bought up he mentioned that he had family in the stadium. I do think him having his family here makes a massive difference - Nuno didn't have that and, eventually it would wear you down, with or without Covid in the frame.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I admire how Bruno is able to make use of the good things that he inherited from Nuno (shape, shape, shape) and then build on them. I hope it will turn out to be as successful as the Graham-Wenger switch for Arsenal back in the 1990s! Certainly rings some of the same bells.

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1. Jose Sa - his style of play (and shot stopping) means that we can play a higher line and he’s happy to dominate his box. It avoids that one or two extra touches that can go wrong whilst facing your own goal.
3. We’ve gone man for man for free kicks and corners rather than zonal. Yesterday was the first time we’d conceded from a dead ball situation all season. I understand zonal marking but have never liked it, don’t know why some coaches swear by it.
4. We’ve learnt how to defend crosses. Last season the opposition only needed to cross the ball to almost guarantee a goal. Again partly down to Sa, teams know that he will come for a lot of crosses so need to make crosses slightly deeper.
Good points. Of course I should have mentioned Sa when eulogising about Coady and Kilman. He's a step up from Patricio imo and he gives the confidence to the defenders to play higher up as you say. Man for man marking is a good point too. I should also say Saiss too is playing at a higher level this season and this has to be down to Lage giving him confidence as a regular starter at the back. A strong defence will always give us a chance to get the one goal we need to take all 3 points. Exciting times ahead.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Almost all (if not all) of our players have progressed under Bruno.

And we still have 2 of our best players (Jonny and Neto) to come back.

The future is very bright!

WinchWolf

Reaction score
Bruno > Nuno
I don't like these comparisons, different seasons. Nuno took a mid-table Championship side to promotion at a canter and 2 7th position finishes, FA Cup semi-final and great run in Europa league. He had probably run out of steam, I like what Lage is starting to do this season, but he hasn't achieved anything yet. Hopefully they will both remembered fondly

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't like these comparisons, different seasons. Nuno took a mid-table Championship side to promotion at a canter and 2 7th position finishes, FA Cup semi-final and great run in Europa league. He had probably run out of steam, I like what Lage is starting to do this season, but he hasn't achieved anything yet. Hopefully they will both remembered fondly
I don’t want to be that guy……. But Nuno didn’t take a mid table championship team to the prem. Uncle Jorge and Jeff assembled him a near enough new team that was premier league ready…. He was given; Neves, Jota, Douglas, boly, pre-Xmas bonatini, ndaye (spelt wrong sorry), Ruddy and post Xmas Afobe who were all far better than anything that was in the squad before and better than anything in the league that season.

Nuno still gets credit as he brought it all together, but he wasn’t managing the same quality of squad jacket was the season before so let’s not talk like he took the Jacket squad to the prem.

The squad differences are night and day

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some very good points raised in the last few posts, but I too am not comfortable with making comparisons. I loved Nuno more than any other manager I've known and that stretches back to early 60's. I consider Nuno's level of integrity streets above anything you will see in football or even most businesses, but I've warmed up to Bruno and feel that he is an improvement in footballing terms.

I look at Manchester City and the several manager changes that they've made, generally improving as they go. The only one of their managers I didn't like was Mark Hughes.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't dismiss zonal. The problem with man to man is the attacker knows where he is going to run and the defender has to respond. So the attacker will always get there first. Man-to-man means lots of grabbing holding & blocking and risks of penalties (far too few of which are given for these offences). I also think we should leave AT LEAST two on the halfway line. It forces opponent to leave 3 back there, plus another one or two filling the gap, so leaves the penalty area far less crowded and allowing a good keeper on crosses (e.g. Sa) to actually get to the ball and not be impeded by players of both teams.
I’ve noticed we are leaving more up front on most corners. Under Nuno we were bringing all 10 back. It also prevents quick breaks like Sa tried to create with his pass to Podence.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve noticed we are leaving more up front on most corners. Under Nuno we were bringing all 10 back. It also prevents quick breaks like Sa tried to create with his pass to Podence.
Sa can kick further than Rui also, his kicks are flatter, further and more accurate. Reminds me of Ederson in that respect.

Beer Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa can kick further than Rui also, his kicks are flatter, further and more accurate. Reminds me of Ederson in that respect.
I always felt with Rui's goal kicks that if Doc didn't win the header we were often pinned back at the edge of our box.
Sa also has a more than decent throw.

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always felt with Rui's goal kicks that if Doc didn't win the header we were often pinned back at the edge of our box.
Sa also has a more than decent throw.
I love the way he's always looking for one of our players to throw the ball to and get another attack going.
His distributional awareness is also exemplary.
AND he cares, as could be seen from his reaction, when the unstoppable Southampton FK hit the back of the net!
He's a gem and deserves all the plaudits he receives.
Congratulations are also due to our scouting team, for their diligence in bringing him in.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not only all linked to Bruno, all very much to do with Sa being that very different kind of keeper, then some fine coaching all round to adapt to him and bring the best out of all concerned.

It just rams home how football is such a fluid, co-dependant game, with flaws in one area able to manifest in others.
‘Neves and Moutinho can’t play in a 2 together’.
Well, they can if the defence is higher behind them, and the WBs and wide forwards overload the midfield and present options everywhere.

Our deep back 3/5 seemed to be working very well until last season, but it’s now infinitely more solid from a higher starting position…primarily because of a change outside of them.

Kcb92

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don’t want to be that guy……. But Nuno didn’t take a mid table championship team to the prem. Uncle Jorge and Jeff assembled him a near enough new team that was premier league ready…. He was given; Neves, Jota, Douglas, boly, pre-Xmas bonatini, ndaye (spelt wrong sorry), Ruddy and post Xmas Afobe who were all far better than anything that was in the squad before and better than anything in the league that season.

Nuno still gets credit as he brought it all together, but he wasn’t managing the same quality of squad jacket was the season before so let’s not talk like he took the Jacket squad to the prem.

It was Zenga and Lambert's squad and included the likes of Cavaleiro, Costa, Saiss, Coady, Doherty who all went on to feature regularly.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not sure about that. Think there is some hindsight in play. Nuno moved Coady to sweeper when most were looking to move him out the door. Doherty had been with the club since McCarthy’s days and apart from some bits and pieces under Jackett hadn’t pulled up any trees. Douglas was hardly a name, many weren’t keen on Bennett and Norwich fans were happy to let him go. Neves was deemed a wonder kid but had spent a lot of the previous season on the bench and we know that bench players, particularly young ones don’t necessarily shine at a new club. Saiss was still a bit meh for many including the previous manager. Cavaleiro had had a falling out with Lambert. Jota was like Neves or later Neto, great reputation but hadn’t played for Aletico. Bonatini, came from nowhere and after 3 months went back there. We got Boly, again largely a sub at Porto, and Miranda.

We did buy a few players but we’ve been down this route as wolves in the 90s of buying good players but not getting them to perform as a team. We’d had so many false dawns it took a while to recognise the genuine article. Nuno picked up a lot of players with no experience of English football as well as ‘journeymen’ players already at the club and turned them into probably the best side the Championship has seen. Mark Clement et al didn’t make those comments because they wanted them rammed back down their throats. They made them because that’s how many genuinely perceived it, both outside the club but also some of our own fan base.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well, let's look at that list you've given:

Neves: yes, obviously class
Jota: yes, obviously class
Ruddy: always a good championship keeper

But then we've got:

Douglas: Got him to have the best year of his career
Boly: until that point he had only played regularly for Auxerre
Pre-Xmas Bonatini: surely the manager gets credit for making Bonatini play well for basically the only spell of his entire career?
N'Diaye: got consistent performances out of a man who was playing in Saudi Arabia just 1 year later
Afobe: has only ever looked like a decent Championship player, since his first Wolves spell

You could also add the impact on:

Coady: completely transformed from a mediocre utility player
Saiss: completely transformed
Doherty: completely transformed

He obviously had a very good squad (but presumably gets some credit for involvement in bringing those in, unless you want to be unfair), but he also made players that had been very average up until that point far better than they've been before or since.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

But then we've got:

Pre-Xmas Bonatini: surely the manager gets credit for making Bonatini play well for basically the only spell of his entire career?
N'Diaye: got consistent performances out of a man who was playing in Saudi Arabia just 1 year later
Afobe: has only ever looked like a decent Championship player, since his first Wolves spell

He obviously had a very good squad (but presumably gets some credit for involvement in bringing those in, unless you want to be unfair), but he also made players that had been very average up until that point far better than they've been before or since.
All of this, plus of course when Nuno first came, he'd 'failed at Porto and Valencia, nearly all pundits and experts (plus quite a lot of Wolves fans) were stating he couldn't get Wolves up because he had no Premier/Championship experience and many of the players signed were fancy Dan foreigners who wouldn't like a tackle and would go missing on a wet rainy night against the likes of Stoke.......Still gives me immense pleasure for them to have rammed all that straight back down they're throats.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All of this, plus of course when Nuno first came, he'd 'failed at Porto and Valencia, nearly all pundits and experts (plus quite a lot of Wolves fans) were stating he couldn't get Wolves up because he had no Premier/Championship experience and many of the players signed were fancy Dan foreigners who wouldn't like a tackle and would go missing on a wet rainy night against the likes of Stoke.......Still gives me immense pleasure for them to have rammed all that straight back down they're throats.

Does Nuno realise that a team that plays ten defenders and a goalie, won't lose many games but won't get us promoted !!!.
You think Nuno has moved to Wolves to improve Coady??
so it looks like most of the cosy club players are staying ffs nuno. God help us
Nuno:
Not a roll of the dice? Do me a favour and wake up. Of course its a gamble, every manager is but for me Manager's who have managed in English football before tend to have a much better record of promotion. Just because he waves a couple of average achievements abroad does not mean this is no massive gamble.

Lambert:
Lambert was removed for one reason and one reason only, he didn't like the way the club was going and called them out on it. He was uncomfortable with the Mendes situation and said as much. From then on it was bye bye Paul. Had he not mentioned this he would still be here. Plain and simple. The review was a lovely little way for Fosun to conduct interviews, nothing more.

Think the best thing Nuno can do, IF he gets the job is to bring Phil Neville as Assistant Manager.

And my personal favourite:
You can't polish a turd, they say, or make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. So good luck Nuno with changing the style of players like Coady

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But then we've got:

Very true Flump, I did say significant credit is due for bringing it together BUT the point remains he got a significant squad overhaul and I argued that he took over a “mid table championship squad” as he didn’t. He was given the tools and players to make possibly the best squad the league has ever or will see.

Nuno was a great manager and did great things and improved players, I will never discredit Nuno for that. He was an exceptional man manager and motivator who created a culture and desire that we hadn’t ever seen before. He gave us some of the best some of us due to our ages had ever seen from the club and will always be a legend and a hero. I am sorry that I didn’t portray that sentiment in my post.

You can’t argue he took over and achieved what he did with the squad jacket had to deal with the season before. The championship wining team was a significant cheat code season.

Nunos team can never be described as mid-table and that was the point I argued.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I admire how Bruno is able to make use of the good things that he inherited from Nuno (shape, shape, shape) and then build on them. I hope it will turn out to be as successful as the Graham-Wenger switch for Arsenal back in the 1990s! Certainly rings some of the same bells.

Good point. However, it was a Graham-Rioch-Wenger switch for Arsenal. :) I remember this because we had a pre-season friendly with them when they'd just signed Bergkamp and Rioch was their manager.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Only the names have been changed... to protect the guilty.

There's going to be just as bad with Bruno. Seem to remember more than one saying he was Solbakken but worse.

(Though TBF it's arguable that Nuno "changed" Coady. He just moved him to a position where he could use his strengths and avoid having his weaknesses exploited. Then built the rest of the team around him. I think this season is the main one where Coady seems to have noticably improved to the level where he is actually worth his place as a defender)

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In order for Bruno to succeed we needed top players who show respect and adapt.
Many a manager has failed , due to poor attitudes by the players.
The recruitment policy and the recruitment team must take credit for that.

Last edited:

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
In order for Bruno to succeed we needed top players who show respect and adapt.
Many a manager has failed , due poor attitudes by the players.
The recruitment policy and the recruitment team must take credit for that.

Absolutely we need to sign the right players with the right attitudes, when I see people wanting players like Alli in exchange for traore it would be a disaster having players like that in the dressing room

WinchWolf

Reaction score

How many times previously had we seen owners throwing money at the Wolves squad with very poor end results. Nuno still turned Coady into a centre back in the middle of a 3, Douglas was £1m IIRC, bonatini seemed a very uninspiring signing. We already had Costa, Saiss, Caveleiro. When we were promoted we had one of the best first seasons for a promoted club in premier league history.

Nuno was preceded by Lambert & Zenga who both failed miserably, so not right to compare Nuno to Jackett who did a great job of getting us out of league 1.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Good point. However, it was a Graham-Rioch-Wenger switch for Arsenal. :) I remember this because we had a pre-season friendly with them when they'd just signed Bergkamp and Rioch was their manager.
You're right! I forgot about him. Wasn't it Rioch who signed Bergkamp? Anyway, more than the brilliant Dutch, I meant the famous back 4 + Seaman that Wenger inherited.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Point 4 is perhaps the key one for me. We seemed to control the same goal 15 times last season. Deep cross and an unchallenged header at the back post. Nowhere to be seen this season

WinchWolf

Reaction score
Very true Flump, I did say significant credit is due for bringing it together BUT the point remains he got a significant squad overhaul and I argued that he took over a “mid table championship squad” as he didn’t. He was given the tools and players to make possibly the best squad the league has ever or will see.

Nuno was a great manager and did great things and improved players, I will never discredit Nuno for that. He was an exceptional man manager and motivator who created a culture and desire that we hadn’t ever seen before. He gave us some of the best some of us due to our ages had ever seen from the club and will always be a legend and a hero. I am sorry that I didn’t portray that sentiment in my post.

You can’t argue he took over and achieved what he did with the squad jacket had to deal with the season before. The championship wining team was a significant cheat code season.

Nunos team can never be described as mid-table and that was the point I argued.
The two seasons before Nuno we finished 14th & 15th in the Championship, maybe I should have said lower championship side, he took over from Lambert not Jackett, with as other posters have said, a lot of underperforming championship players, and mostly unknown Portugeuse bench warmers!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're right! I forgot about him. Wasn't it Rioch who signed Bergkamp? Anyway, more than the brilliant Dutch, I meant the famous back 4 + Seaman that Wenger inherited.

It was. Again, I mainly remember because a fanatical Arsenal supporting friend who was so excited by them signing Bergkamp, that we made the journey for the friendly. Same friend also says the role of Rioch is a bit undervalued as he had already started a bit of a revolution at Arsenal , from the Graham days. Bergkamp was definitely a big statement, not just for Arsenal, but for the Premier League. One of the first European superstars signed at their peak to come to England - that became a trend.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I raise you this, from September 1st 2017:

Anyone reading this forum during the window would have every right to expect at least three new signings especially at least one new striker. It has not happened. What has happened though is we have let certain players go which has arguably weakened the squad. We would obviously disagree about which players should have stayed or not but we still are stretched in the case of injuries, suspensions and loss of form.
As the manager I feel Nuno should have not let so many go without suitable replacements. It is his job as he claims to improve players but how can he do this if they have left the club.
So now we must take his word for it and see that he can overcome the fact that the stellar signings have not happened and see what he can do with the current squad. On the plus side it does give players opportunites to grab a place they may not have done otherwise.
One thing in particular I cannot go along with is the hype was about making us very hard to score against. Yet at times our defence has seemed pretty vulnerable. The great work of the first three league matches has been deflated by the next two matches and Nuno has to address this.
We still need someone who can dictate midfield. Who can step up? Up front can we see Bright continue with his improvement and become more clinical in his finishing? Could Donovan step up a level and a half? How will he play his formation to be more effective and clinical?
It is going to be interesting times but none where a creative and motovational manager is needed to maximise the potential of this squad.
Good luck Nuno.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I raise you this, from September 1st 2017:

Anyone reading this forum during the window would have every right to expect at least three new signings especially at least one new striker. It has not happened. What has happened though is we have let certain players go which has arguably weakened the squad. We would obviously disagree about which players should have stayed or not but we still are stretched in the case of injuries, suspensions and loss of form.
As the manager I feel Nuno should have not let so many go without suitable replacements. It is his job as he claims to improve players but how can he do this if they have left the club.
So now we must take his word for it and see that he can overcome the fact that the stellar signings have not happened and see what he can do with the current squad. On the plus side it does give players opportunites to grab a place they may not have done otherwise.
One thing in particular I cannot go along with is the hype was about making us very hard to score against. Yet at times our defence has seemed pretty vulnerable. The great work of the first three league matches has been deflated by the next two matches and Nuno has to address this.
We still need someone who can dictate midfield. Who can step up? Up front can we see Bright continue with his improvement and become more clinical in his finishing? Could Donovan step up a level and a half? How will he play his formation to be more effective and clinical?
It is going to be interesting times but none where a creative and motovational manager is needed to maximise the potential of this squad.
Good luck Nuno.
Christ I’d completely forgotten that Donovan Wilson even existed.

Back
Top Bottom