Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jose Sa vs Rui Patricio

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who would you choose as Wolves goalie between Jose Sa and Rui Patricio? There has been a debate on forums over which goalie the fans prefer to be in goal. The most common opinion is that rui is a better shot stopper and Jose is better at command his box.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jose Sa for me a better all round goalkeeper, that kick to Podence Saturday was class!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's probably few better shot stoppers in the World than Rui Patricio. De Gea is up there too. Both stay firmly rooted to their line and that type of goalkeeper is slowly dying off.

Rui is a great goalkeeper, but Sa is progression.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For the league we're in and how games flow etc I'd have Sa over Rui all day. Rui was awesome for us the first two seasons and was a joy to watch though, just think Sa is more suited to our competition and the level we're now at within it

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa suits us better in our style of play. I revelled in his sweeping up... takes the pressure off our back line and his distribution is a real weapon

Rui is a legendary keeper, and was great for us for a long time and a good man. But Jose Sa is a better fit and improving all the time too

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Rui would be really exposed in our current system, probably disasterously so.

He was a good keeper for us, with one season of being excellent, for most of his time at club. But making a net profit and lower wages between the two makes it a bit of a no brainer (don't forget Rui was on £5M a year)>

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've conceded fewer goals after 12 games than we did in any of the other seasons since we came up. Obviously that's not exclusively down to Sa, but Sa is an important component of the team that's delivered that statistic.

Screenshot_20211121-003818.png

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sa by a wide margin. Rui isn't even a good shot stopper now, the stats show it. And he doesn't offer a lot else.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa suits us better in our style of play. I revelled in his sweeping up... takes the pressure off our back line and his distribution is a real weapon

Rui is a legendary keeper, and was great for us for a long time and a good man. But Jose Sa is a better fit and improving all the time too
Well put.

Rui was a great keeper. Steep decline set in though and Sa has been surprisingly good

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Sa - he’s a great character love his attitude too he’ll take over from Rui in the National team soon

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey we seem to have come a long way from Sa is a downgrade on Patricio because he isnt in the Portugal national side...

Shot stopping is only part of the job, and it may not even be the most important part. Sa has a far better all round game and still looks a decent shot stopper. He will, I am sure, cause us to concede a few with the odd blooper, and these will no doubt attract a lot of attention. but he will have fewer shots to save just by virtue of the fact he is more proactive in coming for things and distributing the ball well. The whole team can play further up the pitch. The benefit of that is more difficult to show in the individual sense but it is very real.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted Sa, but it depends on when you are talking about. Sa for Wolves at this moment in time, Patricio overall simply because he has proven over the years he is a better keeper. Some people have short memories.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa suits how we want to set up, claims through balls and is generally a bigger presence in the box.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think I'd have a bit more confidence in Rui saving a shot, but Sa more than makes up for that on distribution. Rui's kicking was awful at times - seemed to be OK kicking out to Doc on the right around halfway line (over and over again), but that was about it... Plus Sa has a few years on him. Both seem like decent guys (as far as you can tell from club videos etc).

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit at the time, i thought it was a downgrade.

However has the week roll by, he is getting better. Add to the fact Rui mistake for Portugal in his last game and conceded 8 for Roma in a game. Ideal piece of business for Wolves while his price was still high.

Just need a song for Sa.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rui let too many sill goals in, e.g. Newcastle at home last season and quite a few beaten at his near post. Fine goalkeeper all the same but so far Sa edges it. Hope to god that's not the kiss of death!

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rui made some incredible saves but I love Jose because he comes for crosses and likes to get attacks going quickly.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s a choice?
Well as long as we’re fantasizing, I’ll have Schmeichel. :)

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Must admit at the time, i thought it was a downgrade.

However has the week roll by, he is getting better. Add to the fact Rui mistake for Portugal in his last game and conceded 8 for Roma in a game. Ideal piece of business for Wolves while his price was still high.

Just need a song for Sa.
He’s in goal for wolves Jose Sa
He’s in goal for Wolves Jose Sa
He’s in goal for wolves Jose sa
Oh Lord Jose Sa

Elvis Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a no brainer for me, Sa is definitely an upgrade .
His command of his box and the way he distributes the ball is class.
Love the way he throws out to get our players moving forwards on counter attacks .
His reading of the game is second to none.
Definitely going to take over from Rui as Portugals number one.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I prefer SA. He controls better his area, he is also a good stopper, and has better distribution. I think we shall soon see him take over from Rui in the Portugal international side.

Reaction score
You can't argue with Sa's ability to find forward players - but I don't know enough about goalkeeping or their instructions under different managers to read too much in to that

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa is by far a better all round modern day keeper/sweeper his distribution is top notch, big shout out too for Tony Roberts who is doing a great job.
Fair shout on Tony Roberts! He deserves a lot of credit for the work he's doing with Jose and the other keepers and is a big presence at the club

But also for the work he's doing on set pieces. We are undoubtedly better at the defending them this season, and are a threat attacking them... that's hugely influenced by Roberts and I noticed (sitting behind the bench on Saturday) that he comes off the bench (and Bruno sits down) every time we have a free kick, or any set pieces, attacking and defending, and he's calling all the shots

Never seen that from a GK coach before. I think he's been a big hit at the club and is effecting a lot more than the development of the goalkeepers

Back
Top Bottom