Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

MOTD Tonight

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has suggested it... but I think it would be a great idea to show "classic MOTD" until the football returns... I know I would enjoy it. Would help fill a void.

It would just be loads of Liverpool and Man utd games.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
being the only prem game played today you'd think we'd be nailed on to be the main feature, but we'll no doubt be an after thought after a Liverpool love in for most of the programme

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
being the only prem game played today you'd think we'd be nailed on to be the main feature, but we'll no doubt be an after thought after a Liverpool love in for most of the programme
MOTD isn't even on tonight

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With only 4 PL games played so far this weekend. Watching MOTD later tonight..
It's going to be interesting how Gary Lineker & Co assess Wolves win against Palace and our position in the table now.

Hazza

Reaction score
Don’t expect too much with City, Liverpool and Chelsea all winning

JutlandWolf

Reaction score
That tackle could've ended Moutinhos career if it broke his ankle. Am actually amazed they thought it wasn't even a foul. Yes, the Palace player got the ball first, but the follow through was reckless and obviously dangerous.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That tackle could've ended Moutinhos career if it broke his ankle. Am actually amazed they thought it wasn't even a foul. Yes, the Palace player got the ball first, but the follow through was reckless and obviously dangerous.
Did the Palace player get there first? Not seen it since, but I thought Moutinho flicked it away from Milivojevic first, although Milivojevic did get the ball, but also caught Mout's ankle in his follow-through.
In this day and age, a red for sure, although I don't believe that Milivojevic had any malice in the tackle.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we had Boly sent off at Man City I'm sure Clattenberg said he shouldn't have gone because the contact on the follow through was below the ankle, whereas had it been above then it would have warranted a red card. So if that's the criteria, don't see how Milivojevic has a case

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Going to be dead honest, I agree with Danny Murphy. I’m amazed how many on here think it was a certain red. I thought it was a good tackle.
It was, until the point his momentum carried his studs up off the floor tackle through and into the ankle of an opposition player. You can't do that anymore, winning the ball should not be an excuse for potentially ending the career of another player.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
It was a red card all day long
Agree, winning the ball is irrelevant if the following through bit is dangerous, which is clearly was as he took Moutinho out above the ankle. It did look a lot worse on the slow mo replay tbf but I think even if Hodgson watches it back he’ll see it was a dreadful challenge.

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You just can't tackle like used to nowadays given the effect of contact after the ball being a red. The ball was clearly won first and not so long ago we'd have gone mental!

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definite red. yes, he got the ball first but the studs up follow through is seriously dangerous play.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a foul under the modern rules, but i dont believe it should be a red card. They are making it so you just cant attempt to make tackles anymore. I dont think it was a cynical challenge. Are you supposed to just let the opposition take the ball these days and not attempt to tackle them? Anyone with common sense and brains can tell the difference between a cynical challenge and a genuine attempt to win the ball.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was, until the point his momentum carried his studs up off the floor tackle through and into the ankle of an opposition player. You can't do that anymore, winning the ball should not be an excuse for potentially ending the career of another player.
This

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its a foul under the modern rules, but i dont believe it should be a red card. They are making it so you just cant attempt to make tackles anymore. I dont think it was a cynical challenge. Are you supposed to just let the opposition take the ball these days and not attempt to tackle them? Anyone with common sense and brains can tell the difference between a cynical challenge and a genuine attempt to win the ball.
The fact it’s ‘genuine’ is no consolation to the guy who’s foot is laying 3 feet away.
You can’t go in with your studs raised and out of control.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact it’s ‘genuine’ is no consolation to the guy who’s foot is laying 3 feet away.
You can’t go in with your studs raised and out of control.

Thats only your opinion it was out of control. I thought he want for the ball, got the ball and unfortunately the follow through got Mouts. The modern day approach to tackling is ruining the game imo. Its probably bought to us by the same people who outlawed telling kids who didnt win things at school that had failed.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sadly, you are right, its just the rules and interpretation these days.. As i said though, i think you can tell a tackle with intent to injure compared to one who is just going for the ball. I think a foul and a yellow would have been fine for that challenge personally.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said t my lad when the var was looking at it and the camera kept scanning to him, he knew he was going to see red.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats only your opinion it was out of control. I thought he want for the ball, got the ball and unfortunately the follow through got Mouts. The modern day approach to tackling is ruining the game imo. Its probably bought to us by the same people who outlawed telling kids who didnt win things at school that had failed.

Utter nonsense. There is a world of difference between putting rules in place that deter challenges that can end a player’s career and making everyone a winner.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be furious if it was a red for us. I was annoyed when Bathh got that red in our promotion season and he had 2 feet off the floor. Surely a dangerous tackle should be based on how you approach the ball not on what you hit after you make contact with the ball.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iirc wasn't it a similar challenge to what Phil jagielka did on jota in our first game back? Admittedly jota would have been through one on one, but the challenge was dangerous and similar.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iirc wasn't it a similar challenge to what Phil jagielka did on jota in our first game back? Admittedly jota would have been through one on one, but the challenge was dangerous and similar.
Very. Which was given immediately without the benefit of VAR.
If anything, Jagielka’s contact was lower.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an old fashioned defender myself i can see both sides to this

Its quite easy to aim your tackle at the top of the ball and go through a players legs with the follow through, and thats why they bought this law in to stop that

Are they making the game too soft? thats a matter of opinion i guess,but as the laws stand it was a red card all day long

If they tightened other areas of the game up,like holding players on corners,simulation etc i would be far happier personally, but thats just me

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd be furious if it was a red for us. I was annoyed when Bathh got that red in our promotion season and he had 2 feet off the floor. Surely a dangerous tackle should be based on how you approach the ball not on what you hit after you make contact with the ball.
if you go in with studs showing with a high chance you will go though to connect with the player after the ball even in unintentional isn't that just as dangerous as it you were nowhere near the ball, the potential injury to the other player is the same. This one I think was borderline be he slid in with a foot up so it was always going to be looked at. These are being given as read to prevent potential injury to players and as long as there is consistency in what is and isn't given I think you have to accept that these sorts of challenges will get a red these days.

I think there's a case for when a challenge like this is seen as unintentional that maybe there should be a straight red but just a one game ban like for a second yellow ?

D

Deleted member 5910

Milivojevic went over the top of the ball and planted studs on Moutinho's ankle. Far more luck than judgement on his part that it wasn't a leg breaker. Getting slight contact on the ball first doesn't mean you can destroy someone's standing leg on the follow through.

Back
Top Bottom