Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its worrying, and I have refrained from that so far.

It is patently clear the 2 young lads aren't yet ready for first-team standard, that's not their fault BTW. They did ok, and will take time to bed in. Possibly a season or two.

I think it is not unreasonable for fans to expect a sensible, structured transfer window where key first team positions are identified and prioritised, and then the fluffy future players can be brought in as ones for the future if money is spare.

At present we look a bit of silly club having spent £35m, actually potentially £53m on 2 future, unproven players...............let that register...............£53m!!! - Whilst voluntarily selling an influential wing back.

I'm not going to criticise our transfer policy just yet...............there are 2 weeks to go for the window to close, but the later we leave things the more it obviously potentially eats into and adversely affects the outcome of the season ahead.
Yes have to agree with all that. Seems very poor to me to let Doherty go to a rival with no replacement set up. Love the club, love Nuno but leaving it late means potentially getting involved in a final 48 hour panic as the market closes which is never conducive to good decisions.

We need a LWB, a RWB and an attacking midfielder. That's a lot to sign in 16 days or so. Also still talking about a CB. Our rivals are making impressive moves and signing very good players. Arsenal and Spurs still aggressively shopping as are Man U, Leicester, Chelsea, Everton , Villa etc. That £35m on an 18 year old was a huge leap of faith with no real return likely for a couple of years as Silva beds in and grows physically and mentally. Vitinho another possible £18m spend again based on 'potential'. I'm all for such signings if we can afford them. But the £1.5m on a 31 year old Marcal for a stop gap wing back is either a great bargain or an indicator that there is not much more left in the transfer coffers. And after all that our first team is actually weaker as things stand. I am sure some kind of RWB will appear but I doubt he will be better than Doherty unless we spend very big indeed on that position - which I very much doubt. In which case why let him go in the first place for peanuts?

With Jonny and MGW out of the picture there is no doubt that much work still has to be done before October 5. Of course we all HOPE that Jeff Shi has got it under control but even if we get that RWB we are at best standing still while many rivals have greatly strengthened. So grateful as always for the progress the club have made but let's be honest so far the transfer business has been a bit weird and disappointing in terms of a complete failure to strengthen our first XI. Of course a couple of brilliant signings and we can all relax but it's awfully quiet out there and nothing seems to be imminent at all. Perhaps the quiet is a good sign as some people suggest or perhaps it is a sign we are struggling to get in players of suitable quality because we are not in Europe and not able to pay the kind of wages most of our rivals can. And our rivals are now the top 10 very rich clubs. Can't help feel there is an over-reliance on Mendes and that our scouting set up elsewhere is now simply an adjunct to his overarching authority in terms of advising Shi and the board. Yes that can bring dividends in terms of having the inside track for some players but Shi would be wise to seriously invest in alternative sources of expertise and connections that can help us outside Portugal and Spain. Have only heard about scouts being reduced of late.

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a rwb lwb cam and a new goalkeeper based on last night

Can only see us getting one realistically

Poor

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely vitinha is the dynamic attacking central midfielder? What is the signing him only to get someone in to replace him after one game?
Hope you are right but he is 20 with only a handful of senior games under his belt. It will take at least a season for him to bed in and for Nuno to assess whether he is the answer. He will simply sit on the subs bench and get the odd 10 minutes here or there. In the meantime Neves, Moutinho and Dendonker have to carry the burden and there is a severe lack of creativity and attacking dynamism in central midfield for now.

D

Deleted member 11332

Surely vitinha is the dynamic attacking central midfielder? What is the signing him only to get someone in to replace him after one game?

Based off the 2 appearances so far dynamic would be quite low down the list of words I'd use to describe him.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ryan Sessegnon has been transfer listed by Spurs. Would tick a few boxes for us.
Agreed - still a great long term prospect for LWB. We should have done a deal with Spurs for a Doherty swap. Levy will try and get £25m for him but I think £20 m would be doable. But somehow someone like Baldock seems to be more the Wolves way in the UK market at least....a RWB of course.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
cant see any movement before city. but after that I'd expect someone in next week , rwb we hopw

Wolfy McWolf-Face

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Why not? We signed Silva and Marcal at the weekend. Granted any new signing won't play but don't see why they can't happen.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not? We signed Silva and Marcal at the weekend. Granted any new signing won't play but don't see why they can't happen.
Because there has been no musing of incoming today, across social media or journos. not even a hint, I'd love to be proved wrong by a Saturday signing

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope you are right but he is 20 with only a handful of senior games under his belt. It will take at least a season for him to bed in and for Nuno to assess whether he is the answer. He will simply sit on the subs bench and get the odd 10 minutes here or there. In the meantime Neves, Moutinho and Dendonker have to carry the burden and there is a severe lack of creativity and attacking dynamism in central midfield for now.
I'm not sure the powers on high will be too happy for £50m + of investment being consigned to the occasional cameo appearance for a season or two. Nuno was quite clear we need improvements and that we need to be more attacking, score more goals etc. I doubt he'll be wanting to repeat his post Sevilla comments about it being the same team who started last season, albeit with one current exception.

D

Deleted member 5962

I'm not sure the powers on high will be too happy for £50m + of investment being consigned to the occasional cameo appearance for a season or two. Nuno was quite clear we need improvements and that we need to be more attacking, score more goals etc. I doubt he'll be wanting to repeat his post Sevilla comments about it being the same team who started last season, albeit with one current exception.

Nuno has been asking for more signings for 2 years and not much happened. Or are we forgetting last summer he was asking for us to go strong in the market to little or no effect.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever made his debut against us in the FA cup last year at 16. A CB/RB I believe...

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoever made his debut against us in the FA cup last year at 16. A CB/RB I believe...

He did, and was pretty damned solid.

Not exactly the experience we’re crying out for, but definitely looked a player since he was thrown in at the deep end after an early injury to one of their CBs. Think had not long turned 17 at the time.

rg4352

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems to be primarily a CB, so I’m hoping this isn’t Doherty’s replacement personally, could really do with some experience in that position

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we are just going to have to suck it up with this one....

Happy with the signing, excellent work, good bit of business for Liverpool through.. 90k to 10m. just hope we see someone with experience coming to before end of window

ParkieWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
It's a signing, which is always nice to see. Probably replacing Sanderson in the squad. But, unfortunately it's more money spent that doesn't improve the first team now.

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a signing, which is always nice to see. Probably replacing Sanderson in the squad. But, unfortunately it's more money spent that doesn't improve the first team now.

Just how i see it.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a scouse fan tell me weve agreed to buy ki-jana hoever for just under £10m.

Definitely not ITK!!!!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not trying to pantwet, but if our business is concluded (I'm praying it isn't), we really have regressed. Sold two key players in Jota and Doherty, and replaced with three young inexperienced players. I know all three have serious potential, but as it stands we have regressed. If Jota leaves I believe we need a winger to add to a RWB and CB, and all three need to be capable of starting immediately if we realistically want to compete for the top six.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And there it is, from all the verified reliable journalists. Liverpool want Jota.

To be fair Or stein (who's pretty reliable for Arsenal) said we were close for AMN, so I won't buy it til he's gone and holding the Liverpool shirt.

Really find it strange, as he'd be a bench/rotation player for them.

Back
Top Bottom