Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Raul Penalty Appreciation Thread

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I asked in the match thread, "Why do I still get nervous when Raul is about to shoot a penalty....WHY?"

You Mixers still get nervous or are you thinking "It's in the bag!!!"

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wait for the slating on here when he misses one like that.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A thread like this is the kiss of death really isn't it? :oops: ....and at such a crucial juncture in our season too, when penalty shootouts come into the picture! :eek:
Not a kiss of death at all, IMO. I'm just asking if you guys get as nervous as I do or are you calm with confidence...tis all.

But now you have me worried. Can a moderator delete this thread, please?

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a kiss of death at all, IMO. I'm just asking if you guys get as nervous as I do or are you calm with confidence...tis all.

But now you have me worried. Can a moderator delete this thread, please?

Maybe I should have been more specific...a thread TITLE like this. I absolutely love Raúl's penalties, and I don't see him missing one ever...BUT if he now goes on to miss one or have one saved in this tournament, are you going to forever wonder whether you tempted fate?

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the bag.

Raul reminds me of Thomas Brolin when penalties is concerned.They got split vision.

Beats the hell out of McIndoe..that is for sure..:)

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Never in doubt when Raul steps up, one of the best in the world

Neves however I'm always fraught if steps up for a pen!

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely as calm as you can be when your team has a pen!

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've never been more confident in a player to score from the spot - he's ice cool.

In answer to the OP, I treat a penalty award as a goal now, no nerves in the slightest as long as it’s Jimenez stepping up.
I’m ready for the crushing disappointment on that one occasion it doesn’t happen, but still waiting.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In answer to the OP, I treat a penalty award as a goal now, no nerves in the slightest as long as it’s Jimenez stepping up.
I’m ready for the crushing disappointment on that one occasion it doesn’t happen, but still waiting.
May your wait last 10 years.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Don't think it's full proof so still have the nervous watch but very cool and it has worked 100% so far so all for it. While on the subject of Raul, not sure a panenka though, is the best choice of shot from the edge of the area so would prefer a swing of the left foot there!

Edit: Rabona not Panenka!

Last edited:

Houston Lobo

Reaction score
I think he has a perfect record in competitive games - 22/22.

It's only recently that he missed his first one, and this was in a Mexican friendly.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think it's full proof so still have the nervous watch but very cool and it has worked 100% so far so all for it. While on the subject of Raul, not sure a panenka, though, is the best choice of shot from the edge of the area so would prefer a swing of the left foot there!
If Raul started shooting panenkas, I'd surely wet my pants.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Don't think it's full proof so still have the nervous watch but very cool and it has worked 100% so far so all for it. While on the subject of Raul, not sure a panenka, though, is the best choice of shot from the edge of the area so would prefer a swing of the left foot there!
You mean rabona?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I get a bit nervous. Some games more than others. He’s going to miss one sometime so I hope it happens when we have a two goal lead.
Then he can start another great streak of bagging them.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't think it's full proof so still have the nervous watch but very cool and it has worked 100% so far so all for it. While on the subject of Raul, not sure a panenka though, is the best choice of shot from the edge of the area so would prefer a swing of the left foot there!

Edit: Rabona not Panenka!

Well, yes, that would have appeared to make more sense. However, he got slightly more space to get the rabona shot away, as the whole point of the rabona is it momentarily appears the player is turning back away from goal, to shield the ball.
Keeper and defenders were most definitely caught out by it, shame it missed by a mile.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Well, yes, that would have appeared to make more sense. However, he got slightly more space to get the rabona shot away, as the whole point of the rabona is it momentarily appears the player is turning back away from goal, to shield the ball.
Keeper and defenders were most definitely caught out by it, shame it missed by a mile.
Should have put Doc through tbf. Made a great run on the outside.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weirdly, I actually get more nervous now as I am almost at the point of just assuming it’s a goal as soon as it’s awarded, such is his quality. Just jeans when the inevitable does happen the disappointment will be crushing.

I’m also really peed off that someone has started this thread with the potential week we have ahead! Talk about jinx.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not wanting to tempt fate but I just never think he's gonna miss, says he crossing himself a zillion times, with a few hail Marys thrown in and the cat kicked (only jokin RSPCA). He delays just long enough to see where the goalie's going and simply hits it the other way. No power required though, just a pass into the net. He's probably the best we've had at pens, apart from Kenny maybe. Post edit: we don't really want matches to go to pens though cos after him and Neves, not sure about the rest.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Weirdly, I actually get more nervous now as I am almost at the point of just assuming it’s a goal as soon as it’s awarded, such is his quality. Just jeans when the inevitable does happen the disappointment will be crushing.

I’m also really peed off that someone has started this thread with the potential week we have ahead! Talk about jinx.
NAH, no jinx. I'm encouraging him, like a pat on the back, so to speak.

Y

Yout85

I won't quote individually, but you are all a bunch of **** taking ****ers.... I love it :)

For the record, yes I did describe his first ever penalty for us as "not a great penalty" and said I would save it. But it turns out over time that he is indeed the best penalty taker in the world, and he adapts his kick to the keeper. My repetitive point at the time was that very few takers do this, and keepers should take advantage by delaying their dives. Troy Deeney is the perfect example. He thumps every penalty down the middle and the keepers dive out of the way time after time.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor bugger has her Daddy’s slightly frog eyes, rather than her Mother’s.
Can’t have it all.

I'm sure inheriting Daddy's millions will more than make up for it and make her weirdly magnetically attractive to the opposite sex when she reaches the marriageable years...

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I asked in the match thread, "Why do I still get nervous when Raul is about to shoot a penalty....WHY?"

You Mixers still get nervous or are you thinking "It's in the bag!!!"
I get nervous because it's in the bag! Or should be. I said it in the Everton game, I see him lining up to take a penalty and I'm automatically thinking "we've scored - don't take this away from me now!"

Best penalty taker I've ever seen, and I'll be honest I'm shocked at some of the scores people gave him last night. His close control in tight areas and general all round play was absolutely sublime - he was superb

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is the perfect penalty taker. He gives the goalie the eye one way and in his short run up shapes to go that way. 9 times out of 10 the goalie will fall into the trap and dive that way leaving the whole goal to just side-foot in. It is perfection and is almost fool proof.

Back
Top Bottom