Home | MM Facebook | Live League Tables | Live Scores | |

Go Back   Molineux Mix - Wolves Wolverhampton Wanderers Fans Forum > Molineux Mix > Molineux Mix Archive

Molineux Mix Archive archived posts

Old 27-09-2011, 21:07

Wolves videos on YouTube

After many years of broken promises, I'm finally going to embark upon a lengthy project to transfer the many hours of VHS footage I have of my family onto DVD. I'm also going to do likewise with the many hours of VHS footage I have of Wolves matches and the like. However, the amount of Wolves-related VHS I have, time restraints and the levels of motivation required means that it could be a slow project. It's my intention though to upload as much as I can onto YouTube.

In the meantime, I've uploaded some Wolves matches from DVD's (via a previous VHS transfer) onto YouTube. I'm generally avoiding Wolves matches that already exist on YouTube and also Wolves matches that have been officially released on VHS or DVD. Matches that I've uploaded so far are, in chronological order:

Newcastle United v Wolves, FA Cup 4th Round, 27th January 1979 http://youtu.be/qqrmRScfViI

Brief second half highlights from The Big Match. The Wolves defence provide their obligatory free header and honour the tradition of allowing former Wolves players to score against them.

Wolves v Shrewsbury Town, FA Cup 6th Round, 10th March 1979 http://youtu.be/P2Tu0_vYDVU

A near-41,000 crowd, future Wolves manager Graham Turner in action as Shrewsbury's player-manager, a shocking quagmire of a Molineux pitch and the legendary Hugh Johns commentating.

West Bromwich Albion v Wolves, 21st April 1979 http://youtu.be/vpWxPHePKZU

A frenetic, closely fought First Division derby with King John coming to the rescue. A huge Wolves following. There's only one Wolver'ampton indeed.

Watford v Wolves, FA Cup 4th Round, 24th January 1981 http://youtu.be/RgqoC5AY29Q

Wolves players in pleasing all-white and the Wolves fans in very good voice, marchin' on together. Look out for an absolutely magnificent save from Paul Bradshaw.

Wolves v Wrexham, FA Cup 5th Round, 14th February 1981 http://youtu.be/9lSmboMVahI

Unfortunately, just a dozen minutes of footage has survived the 30 year march of time. However, with Wolves trailing 1-0 to underdogs Wrexham the stage is perfectly set for 'super-sub' Norman Bell...

Middlesbrough v Wolves, FA Cup 6th Round, 7th March 1981 http://youtu.be/ge58Z4OAN58

A partisan atmosphere, a muddy pitch and some abysmal second half weather made this battling Wolves performance all the more impressive. With gloves off the menu and snoods unheard of (even in the Tevez household), short sleeves were very much the order of the day in the North East.

Birmingham City v Wolves, 21st November 1981 http://youtu.be/JGX-iVc-AaQ

I have a certain half-developed theory, one that is yet to be aired publicly (until now), that Wolves were too good to be relegated from Division 1 in the 1981-82 season. This performance adds weight to that view.

Crystal Palace v Wolves, 27th November 1982 http://youtu.be/aw7DpOuiBvQ

A very entertaining Division 2 encounter for the hardy 10,225 present at Selhurst Park. Two excellent headed goals from Messrs Gray and Matthews.

West Bromwich Albion v Wolves, 26th November 1983 http://youtu.be/2_kRMfnFHsg

Footage from a Division 1 match in which, you won't be interested to learn, I can quite clearly be seen infiltrating the Albion end just after the kick-off. Not, I hasten to add, as part of the Subway Army's more pugnacious infiltration just minutes previously. A game where Danny Crainie wrote himself into a small part of Wolves' folklore.

In addition to uploading on YouTube, I'm intending to post the three Wolves videos from our 1981 cup run on the Wolves Video forum. However, rather than completely flood the Wolves Video forum with numerous embedded videos, over upcoming months I'll probably randomly post on this thread various YouTube links to matches.

There's a few matches from our 1982-83 promotion campaign (away at both Fulham and Burnley and home to QPR) that I'm intending to upload very soon. I don't know precisely what I have on VHS (and its all-important condition), other than what is scribbled on the labels. There's various tapes covering 1993-2000 that include a number of mid-90s Cup matches. There's also various footage from, primarily, the 1970s including, I think, the UEFA Cup home semi-final Ferencvaros. Incidentally, I'm quite sure that I have the recently debated Steve Bull goal at Tranmere but of course it will all take time to sift through...
Old 27-09-2011, 21:22
Just doesn't shut up

Great, many thanks, and good quality as well.
Old 27-09-2011, 21:25
Just doesn't shut up

Well! All I can say is thank you.
Old 27-09-2011, 21:29
Has alot to say

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to upload those!
Old 27-09-2011, 21:30
Mouth Almighty

Fantastic. I don't know how to thank you. Please search through Molineux Mix memories and post relevant videos/clips there as well
Groupie

mods, would it be a good idea to make this thread a sticky so people can upload their own or found wolves videos that can be easily found in one place?
Just doesn't shut up

Superb!
Old 27-09-2011, 21:35
Just doesn't shut up

Hibbitt's equaliser against Newcastle was another screamer. Did that bloke ever score a tap in?!
Old 27-09-2011, 21:42
Mouth Almighty

Brilliant! Weren't Wolves looking to appoint an Archive Manager a few months ago?? Perhaps he could help with this obviously mammouth task!
Old 27-09-2011, 21:52
Has alot to say

Fantastic videos - love seeing the 1981 Cup run again - i was 9 at the time! It was nice seeing the attendance and passion at Vicarage Road for the 4th Round tie... imagine that now?? A 4th Round tie at Vicarage Road would be seen as a hinderence in front of a quarter full stadium. Proof that the FA Cup has lost its magic.
Old 27-09-2011, 21:55
Has alot to say

Thanks so much for uploading these. Some great memories, I'm amazed that the Danny Crainie goals haven't been on Youtube before.
Old 27-09-2011, 22:01
TonySoprano

Videos are mint, nice one.
Old 27-09-2011, 22:10
Just doesn't shut up

I've just seen the one against the albion at the whorethornes in 1983. I love the fact that even with one of the worse teams we've ever had we could still beat them 3-1 on their own ground. It seems they've always been in our shadow.
Old 27-09-2011, 22:24

Wow, just looking at some of these clips - the Boro fans bouncing up and down prior to the 1981 QF and our away support celebrating after Andy Gray's goal - reinforces how much has been lost from today's football.
Old 27-09-2011, 22:26
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV10Wolf View Post
I've just seen the one against the albion at the whorethornes in 1983. I love the fact that even with one of the worse teams we've ever had we could still beat them 3-1 on their own ground. It seems they've always been in our shadow.
You been asleep the last decade?

Superb uploads, top notch.
Old 27-09-2011, 22:27
TonySoprano

The union jacks in our end at the Hawthorns.

Union Jack flags > St Georges flags.
Old 27-09-2011, 22:53
Just doesn't shut up

Wow! Many many thanks BeoWulf. Really enjoyed! What a great player Peter Daniel was, who never got the recognition he deserved!
Old 27-09-2011, 23:00
Has alot to say

Thanks so much Beowulf; top stuff. Interesting to see a mistake from Martin Jol give us our first goal at the Hawthorns in '83! Danny Crainie looks useful, but a quick check on wikipedia reveals he left us for Brunswick Juventus in Melbourne a couple of years later!
Old 28-09-2011, 04:46
Just doesn't shut up

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/show...30#post1183330

Hey Beowulf, Reanswolf has a video of a goal that a lot of people have been looking for for years and would love somebody with a VHS to convert it... could you oblige (unless he's already sent it to Xbomber) ?

Last edited by BlahBlah; 28-09-2011 at 04:47..
Old 28-09-2011, 05:53
MolMix's Manchester United Cheerleader-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahBlah View Post
http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/show...30#post1183330

Hey Beowulf, Reanswolf has a video of a goal that a lot of people have been looking for for years and would love somebody with a VHS to convert it... could you oblige (unless he's already sent it to Xbomber) ?
I dug it out and sent it Recorded Delivery to Bull Army yesterday, who has promised to get it up on here asap. So fingers crossed.

These are fantastic videos, I was at many of these games. Thanks for bringing back the memories. I was at Boro and watford away, and of course Albion away. We used to take 6-10,000 to the baggies, and we had around 6000 at both Watford and Boro for those cup games.

Would also like to see Ipswich away in the cup 1976-77 season (2-2), and Bolton away 1-0 Kenny hibbitt free kick 1976-77, just to see the Wolves crowd celebrating at those two games.

Thanks for digging these up.
Old 28-09-2011, 05:59
MolMix's Manchester United Cheerleader-in-Chief

Regards memories of great Wolves crowd scenes, I would also love to see the 2 league cup finals, including the scene at the end of the 74 cup final after the whistle with the image of all the Wolves fans singing "You'll never walk alone" with scarves aloft Kop style, the image of the same song at the 1980 final with all those flags (I think it was not long after the Andy Gray goal), and yet again at the Play off final right near the end of the game.

I also love the well documented "mental" after Bully's late winner when we beat the Albion 2-1 at their place (everyone has seen that), and also the superb "mental" after Andy Mutch headed in the equaliser at Villa away in the League Cup around 1987 -89. I have that on video if no one else has.
Old 28-09-2011, 17:48
Has alot to say

Yeah, big thanks for this Beowulf, some great stuff here.

I've got a few videos on my YouTube page already which many of you have already seen. I have most of the 90's season review tapes apart from the last couple of seasons, so if anyone has any massive requests, I should be able to get them on YouTube if I have the tape.
Old 28-09-2011, 18:56
Just doesn't shut up

Superb....waited 18 years to see that goal again.
The support was huge behind that goal
Thanks for digging it out where so many others have failed...knew it would resurface one day.

Last edited by BlahBlah; 28-09-2011 at 18:58..
Old 28-09-2011, 19:15
Just doesn't shut up

Can I propose "Man of The Mix for 2011" ......Beowulf.

Brilliant work, must have taken ages. Much appreciated.
Old 28-09-2011, 19:36
Just doesn't shut up

Just as an aside to this thread on early games. Did anyone see a programme a few weeks ago called the Lost World of Michell and Kenyon. All about a load of previously undiscovered films from the early 1900s.

They showed a few clips of a Wolves game against Preston from the 19th November 1904, brilliant quality. Amazing to see the players from over 100 years ago running around. One of the few games I missed going to that year, I think I had to work that Saturday. Craddock played a blinder apparently, and we drew 2-2.

Last edited by PumpKing; 28-09-2011 at 19:38..
Old 28-09-2011, 19:49
Has alot to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanswolf View Post
I dug it out and sent it Recorded Delivery to Bull Army yesterday, who has promised to get it up on here asap. So fingers crossed.

These are fantastic videos, I was at many of these games. Thanks for bringing back the memories. I was at Boro and watford away, and of course Albion away. We used to take 6-10,000 to the baggies, and we had around 6000 at both Watford and Boro for those cup games.

Would also like to see Ipswich away in the cup 1976-77 season (2-2), and Bolton away 1-0 Kenny hibbitt free kick 1976-77, just to see the Wolves crowd celebrating at those two games.

Thanks for digging these up.
Sorry reanswolf never saw your reply on other thread. would have been more than happy to help.
Old 28-09-2011, 20:07
Just doesn't shut up

Bostin!
Old 28-09-2011, 20:17

Thanks to all for your positive comments - I'm glad you enjoyed the uploads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpKing View Post
Can I propose "Man of The Mix for 2011" ......Beowulf.

Brilliant work, must have taken ages. Much appreciated.
Thanks PumpKing! I do accept cheques, just in case I win...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanswolf View Post
I've got brief footage from both of those matches. I have a 7-8 minute highlight DVD of the Bolton match but unfortunately, for some reason, I've been unable to rip that particular DVD to my hard drive. I did manage to convert the file to something that is acceptable for a YouTube upload, but although the match footage uploaded successfully the audio was completely scrambled and unlistenable. So, back to the drawing board I'm afraid.

All I have of the Ipswich FA Cup match is extremely brief footage of both John Richards goals. The first goal, a Richards tap-in, is notable for the huge Wolves support behind the goal and for their mass Kop-like celebratory surging that greeted JR's goal. This, and his second goal, are to be found on a relatively old, officially released VHS about JR's career. The problem is that both goals are seperate. The first goal is part of a montage of Richards' goals that opens the video and is accompanied by an awful soundtrack. Perhaps the answer is to try and splice the second goal into the montage together with the first.

I'll probably return to this thread only when I've uploaded a batch of videos - whenever that may be. One of the matches I'm considering uploading is our home match against Man Utd from the 1978-79 season. It's 25 minutes of Match of The Day highlights (courtesy of UK Gold) and is therefore an excellent snapshot of that time including, of course, the old Molineux. However, the fact that we lost 4-2 is putting me off somewhat as I'm loath to upload any Wolves defeat for public viewing!

In the meantime, I've uploaded very brief highlights of the UEFA Cup Semi-final 2nd Leg against Ferencvaros... http://youtu.be/zv1NJArs_qA
Old 28-09-2011, 20:22
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
I'll probably return to this thread only when I've uploaded a batch of videos - whenever that may be. One of the matches I'm considering uploading is our home match against Man Utd from the 1978-79 season. It's 25 minutes of Match of The Day highlights (courtesy of UK Gold) and is therefore an excellent snapshot of that time including, of course, the old Molineux. However, the fact that we lost 4-2 is putting me off somewhat as I'm loath to upload any Wolves defeat for public viewing!
My first Wolves match, with my Mancunian dad. Not telling you which team i was supporting....
I can only remember Steve Daley and Joe Jordan offside for some reason.
Old 28-09-2011, 20:51
Has alot to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Birmingham City v Wolves, 21st November 1981 http://youtu.be/JGX-iVc-AaQ

I have a certain half-developed theory, one that is yet to be aired publicly (until now), that Wolves were too good to be relegated from Division 1 in the 1981-82 season. This performance adds weight to that view.
This was the first Wolves game I ever went to (we lived closer to St Andrews and my brother was a blue nose - me and my dad were both Wolves). I did have it recorded (off ESPN a year or two back - looks like this is from the same source) but it got deleted. Thanks Beowulf. Much appreciated.