Home | MM Facebook | Live League Tables | Live Scores | |

Go Back   Molineux Mix - Wolves Wolverhampton Wanderers Fans Forum > Molineux Mix > Molineux Mix Archive

Molineux Mix Archive archived posts

Old 04-03-2013, 12:53
Has alot to say

Not sure where's he's playing for tractors -in the papers he is listed at right back
Old 04-03-2013, 13:22
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-blue-wolf View Post
People seem to be missing the OP's point here. Whether Stearman is a good or bad player is not the point he was trying to make.

The point was should Wolves have loaned a player out to a relegation rival? For me, the answer is an emphatic 'no'.
I still don't see what's wrong in sending one of the worst players we've had over the last 5 years to one of our 'rivals' - like I said at the time, it's hardly a disadvantage is it?

And anyone who thinks Stearman is a football-playing Centre Half clearly knows absolutely nothing about football IMO... He gives / hoofs the ball away / loses possession as much as anyone I've ever seen in a football shirt

I'd bet that Ipswich are where they are now because of MM's experience and management - they were always going to get out of trouble the second he went there - and this was despite Stearman going there, not because of it!!
I'm not a Mick Fan. I'm not a Mick apologist. I don't think he is the best manager we've ever had. I admit I wanted him sacked (but NOT in Feb!) However, I do respect what he tried to achieve for Wolves, and in the end what he actually achieved.

Last edited by manc_wolf; 04-03-2013 at 13:24..
Old 04-03-2013, 18:59
Just doesn't shut up

Interesting the views were over whelmingly negative while he was here. Now he has gone he is strengthening one of our rivals but surely if he was rated so poorly by so many of us he should be a liability to Ipswich also. The only reason of course Mick would want him is because he reckons he would strengthen Ipswich.
Old 04-03-2013, 21:38
Groupie

Stearman actually had a tonne of potential when he came to us. When he is switched on he has some (enough) skill and can play out from defence. Berra came to us with a similar reputation, though leaning more towards the physical side and last ditch tackles. On paper they looked like two young centre-halves who would complement each other well and perhaps form a partnership.

Berra's limitations cropped up in the first EPL season. Stearman started to show that he wasn't progressing by the second season. But both were triers, and for a club on a tight budget that goes a long way.

What neither of them developed was their decision making. Berra looked strong in the SPL when he wasn't under constant pressure to make the right choices, and Stearman looked good with either a great communicator (Craddock) or a much calmer and better player (Mancienne.) But that decision making is key. That's what you pay extra for, and that is the "next step" that the club failed to take. And pairing either of them with Johnson, who is a decent stopper but needs a calm head next to him, is a problem.

The seeds of Wolves defensive nightmare were sown after promotion when Scott Dann took that phone call. He could have played well with Craddock, Stearman, Berra or Mancienne in that first EPL season, and the back line could have grown from there.

Neither Berra nor Stearman have been happy this season -or last- though they handle it in different ways.

It was the right time for Stearman to move on, both on and off the field. The problem is not in the club that he was allowed to move to, but in the manager. Mick couldn't turn Stearman into a premier league player, but he knows how to get players like that performing at this level.

(Hi, I'm new, by the way)
Old 05-03-2013, 00:30
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honved View Post
Stearman actually had a tonne of potential when he came to us. When he is switched on he has some (enough) skill and can play out from defence. Berra came to us with a similar reputation, though leaning more towards the physical side and last ditch tackles. On paper they looked like two young centre-halves who would complement each other well and perhaps form a partnership.

Berra's limitations cropped up in the first EPL season. Stearman started to show that he wasn't progressing by the second season. But both were triers, and for a club on a tight budget that goes a long way.

What neither of them developed was their decision making. Berra looked strong in the SPL when he wasn't under constant pressure to make the right choices, and Stearman looked good with either a great communicator (Craddock) or a much calmer and better player (Mancienne.) But that decision making is key. That's what you pay extra for, and that is the "next step" that the club failed to take. And pairing either of them with Johnson, who is a decent stopper but needs a calm head next to him, is a problem.

The seeds of Wolves defensive nightmare were sown after promotion when Scott Dann took that phone call. He could have played well with Craddock, Stearman, Berra or Mancienne in that first EPL season, and the back line could have grown from there.

Neither Berra nor Stearman have been happy this season -or last- though they handle it in different ways.

It was the right time for Stearman to move on, both on and off the field. The problem is not in the club that he was allowed to move to, but in the manager. Mick couldn't turn Stearman into a premier league player, but he knows how to get players like that performing at this level.

Welcome to the madness Honved!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:03
Just doesn't shut up

Ah yes, Richard Stearman - that footballing centre half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79XS4WbxR8
Old 05-03-2013, 22:42
Just doesn't shut up

Got sent off for Ipswich He's $$$$
Old 05-03-2013, 22:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJs Tankard View Post
Ah yes, Richard Stearman - that footballing centre half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S79XS4WbxR8
Quality! One of my favourite moments as a wolves fan this, winning against the $$$$, then Stears comes pounding out of defence like Beckenbauer and we're thinking 'whatever next?'...

Made so many mistakes, but then he wasn't the only one that did. Even Mancienne did, the amount of time played in our own half, weak full-backs and playing behind such a poor midfield could make even the best centre-halves look terrible IMO. No great loss though. Hoping Margreiter is gonna be the footballing CD.

Sounds like Ipswich did their best to lose at Forest, going down to 9 men!

Last edited by Peszkywolf; 05-03-2013 at 22:53..
Old 06-03-2013, 06:44
MolMix Poster of the Season Runner Up 2011-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perton Wolf View Post
Got sent off for Ipswich He's $$$$
Agent Stearman strikes
Old 06-03-2013, 09:28
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:

Welcome!

A very good first post which essentially I agree with.

Out of darkness cometh.....back-to-back Promotions!!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36
Mouth Almighty

Quote:

Honved, that is all too sensible and well thought out for this board-welcome, by the way!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:25
Mouth Almighty

Well done special agent Stearman, though I think we can rule Ipswich out of the relegation battle - I have every faith they will survive and probably be challenging for the play-offs next season with MM at the helm.

3rd minute for the average number of shots on goal we had in 90 minutes under him.
50th representing the percentage defeats to games under his masterful stewardship.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46
Mouth Almighty

Stearman has become a player that has, albeit my view, worsened opposed of improving over the years and instead of making one position his own has become a jack of all trades player and not really that good at any.Whether it was due to be moved about by McCarthy or just a natural thing I have no idea but in all honesty have Wolves really missed or needed him?

I too felt it odd a player was loaned to a fellow struggling team but it happened and no point worrying about it.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27
Mouth Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolv3nsam View Post
Well done special agent Stearman, though I think we can rule Ipswich out of the relegation battle - I have every faith they will survive and probably be challenging for the play-offs next season with MM at the helm.
Ipswich are still in it and losing two players through suspensions won't help. I have a lot of time for them as Club, through family connections and, dare I say it, because of MM-I hope they stay up, but not, of course, at our expense.
Old 06-03-2013, 15:27
Mouth Almighty

Just spoke with my Ipswich supporting mate about 10 mins ago who went to last nights game.

I won't repeat his exact words but needless to say he isn't overly impressed with Stearman, wants to know if there's any chance Wolves will want/take him back ASAP, he can't fathom why McCarthy signed him on and believes thay have a very tough run in. He certainly isn't confident survival is a given.
Old 06-03-2013, 16:19
Has alot to say

I have always backed stearman, everyone makes mistakes but your all forgetting our players were pretty young when we got promoted so they were still learning.

I would have played stearman and Batth this season.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:33
Just doesn't shut up

E&S: Wolves defender Richard Stearman appears to have done enough on loan at Ipswich to trigger a £1million permanent bid at the end of the season.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleulv View Post
E&S: Wolves defender Richard Stearman appears to have done enough on loan at Ipswich to trigger a £1million permanent bid at the end of the season.
There's Moxey's bonus!!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46
Mouth Almighty

They've been keeping a lot of clean sheets lately haven't they?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:58
Has alot to say

Mick's done a brilliant job at Ipswich.

Wouldn't suprise me if they're challenging for the play-offs next season.

If we'd have stuck with him and held our nerve we'd either still be in the prem or challenging for promotion.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:04
MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and runner up 2012-2013.

I think Stearman is a decent enough centre-half at this level (looked excellent next to Mancienne). £1m is probably a reasonable bit of business though.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08
Mouth Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastination wolf View Post

If we'd have stuck with him and held our nerve we'd either still be in the prem or challenging for promotion.
He has indeed done a very good job. We may have avoided relegation with him still in charge, but, ultimately, his time had come and gone at Wolves, for various different reasons. I am pleased he has done well there, because I have a soft spot for Ipswich, through family connections.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44
Mouth Almighty

Quote:

He didnt deserve any more time at Wolves. We backed him, we were patient but he had a fair chance to establish us and he failed miserably.

Nobody should really be surprised at the job he has done at Ipswich however. Championship is his level. I wouldnt call it a brilliant job, but he has done what he needed to for this season.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:58
Just doesn't shut up

Straight into Morgan's back pocket on to build a couple of new matchbox houses
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:

Possibly. But the football would have been excruciating to watch and there would have been years of dramatic final game survivals... or relegations followed by nerve-wracking promotion pushes from the Chump. And so on ad infinitum. Mick was like this at Sunderland, he was like that with us, and he'll be the same at Ipswich. HE CANNOT MAKE THE TRANSITION.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:19
Has alot to say

Quote:

... Mick had his time and wasn't good enough for the prem, it's been proved on numerous occasions

Last edited by Mutchy; 09-04-2013 at 12:18..
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23
Just doesn't shut up

Last edited by Mutchy; 09-04-2013 at 12:18..
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleulv View Post
Great bit of business if true.

We can use this money to help subsidise next years financial losses and towards the 20k wages of Gorkss for next season.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:02
Just doesn't shut up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira Stewart View Post
Great bit of business if true.

We can use this money to help subsidise next years financial losses and towards the 20k wages of Gorkss for next season.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13
Just doesn't shut up

Yeah, the money will keep Kaspars Gorkss' swimming pool warm for a season. Great business by Clownders.