PDA

View Full Version : The Verdict - You cannot expect anything better when you just play for 5 minutes.

Tarcisio Mifsud
12-02-2012, 16:06
The is the verdict thread. I will insert my comments subsequently so that there will not be another similar thread on this issue, while I am writing my comments.

Bossworld
12-02-2012, 16:18
That's very magnanimous of you but surely one of the Mick out threads can just be renamed?

Bevan
12-02-2012, 16:20
$$$$$$$**G $$$$$$

Is that a succinct enough verdict for you?

Wolfman jack
You're right Tarcisio. And we only played for about 20 mins last week. We are a poor side lacking in confidence and quality.

asleulv
Sums it up: http://paddytheflea.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/analysis-ratings-wolves-v-west-bromwich/?

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 16:21
Utter embarrassment and disgrace.

Oldgold Wolfcub
12-02-2012, 16:24
Utter embarrassment and disgrace.
Sorry to have to argue with you but we were not as good as you are making out.:turtle::eek:

Papper
12-02-2012, 16:26
I can take defeat, sometimes I can take abject performances but today we were publicly humiliated and to rub salt in Andrews pops up with the fifth. We are going to get reminded of today for the rest of our lives. Mick and Terry, thanks for the memories but please clear your lockers and step aside for somebody else. That was the straw that broke the camels back.

From the off we ball watched and it was exhibition stuff down our left from the Albion, who don't forget were missing Brunt, Dorrans and Long. Were Wardy and Bassong on the $$$$ last night? Throughout the team there was clueless stagnation and if you are going to play three strikers please play them in an effective manner. We lacked energy in the middle, in fact the only central midfielder we have with some bite and a turn of pace is out on loan at Forest. Today was the shocker of shockers and it is impossible to think of anything positive to say. We should have been three or four down at HT but they made sure the second half.

Morgan needs to get on blower asap and get somebody in asap else we are doomed.

Tarcisio Mifsud
12-02-2012, 16:29
Wolves just played for a total of 5 minutes from the 94 minutes played. 1 minute in the extra time of the first half when we equalised. 1 minute soon after the opening of the second half when Doyle should have passed the ball earlier to Fletcher who was alone with their keeper, 2 minutes when Foster made a great save from a Fletcher header and from the subsequent corner when their defender hit the post while clearing Johnson header and 1 minute when Foster made a good save from an O'Hara shot. The other 89 minutes belonged to the Albions.

The writing was on the wall, that our players were seconds to our opponents. They were shooting at ease from different directions, and the equaliser most probably made more harm to us than to the Albions, as we thought we were ok, when we were not and actually we were almost lucky to finish the first half at par. This blurred the true picture of how weak was our team today, and we did not make the required changes at half time.

Now let me rate our players:-

Hennessey. I really cannot understand this goalkeeper. He is such a good keeper, making several world class saves, than he just gives goals away, surely the second should be put to his credit. He should have taken the ball earlier from Johnsons feet, and subsequently not allow a feeble shot to escape his hands. 5.

Foley. I think this is the worse match I have seen him play in a Wolves shirt. 4

Johnson. He did not marshall his players very well on the pitch and should share a good percentage of the fault of their second goal. He did not defend their corners very well neither. 5

Bassong. Once he left the pitch, our defence went to sea. He was not playing aswell as he did against QPR, but was the best of all the defenders. 6

Ward. Never seen him play so bad. Olowingi had a field day, scoring a hat-trick something which is rarely seen coming from a winger. 3

Doyle. Was not that bad, but did nothing spectacular. 5

Edwards. He ran and did his best, which was not good enough. 5

O'Hara. He wants too much of the ball. Cannot understand how we have a freekick on their penalty area and pass it between our players, rather than shooting or placing it properly towards their goal. 5.

Jarvis. Totally inexistent. 3

SEB. He was the best of our forwards today, he fought for high balls, but he is a bit weak in playing himself onside positions. 6

Fletcher. Though he scored, I think SEB was better than him. 5

Substitutes.

Berra. Our defence became even more frigile when he came in. 2.

Milijas. For a little while he improved our midfield when he came in but it did not last too long and goals against became even more evident with him in the team. 3

MM. A very bad day in the office. Cannot say that I did not agree with the formation, but it is clear that the Albions have a much better team than us. 2

Officials. Not that bad, only question mark was a penalty on SEB in the first half.

Adrian_Monk
12-02-2012, 16:39
We started with completely the wrong system- no-one in football would have put out a 442 against an Albion midfield technical and comfortable in possession except the inept one number two. As a result we chased shadows for 45 minutes and but for Hennessey, lack of cutting edge from Albion and a freak rare counter, it could and should have been 5 with no reply.

In the second we shifted Jarvis inside and between the lines. We were desperately isolated in the first half and it briefly improved us. The problem was he shifted SEB to outside left and whilst it caused some chaos in attack it left a huge gap down our left as Ward tried to get some crosses in. As a consequence we were carved open time and time again.

Mick waited until late in the game to rectify it and we started to improve after Milijas' introduction but after Bassong departed with injury we were wide open and it was no surprise to see us cave in. Most disappointing was seeing us give up at the end.

Poole Wolf
12-02-2012, 16:49
Hennessey. Has been criticised for some of the goals but to be honest it was shots in. He made world class save after save to keep us in the game in the first half and is operating behind perhaps the worst Wolves defence since the years when we dropped down 4 divisions. 7.

Foley. Totally lacking in confidence. Or more pertinently totally lacking. Did not look quick or strong enough for this league. 3

Johnson. The defense has been appalling since he signed. No clean sheets since forever. Seemed to do well in the first two games against weakened opposition. Today boots the ball in the air in the area and then stands watching it. Flaps his hands around blaming everyone else. Appalling player, appalling captain, appalling signing. 0

Bassong. A class above our players. 8

Ward. Poor game by this season's standards. Big George maybe would have done better with his physical presence against tricky wingers. 4

Edwards. A major factor in the poor performance. Never in amillion years a Premiership player. 0.

O'Hara along with Milijas the only players comfortable on the ball. 7

Jarvis. Championship player who rarely delivers at this level. 2

SEB. Championship player who NEVER delivers at this level 0

Fletcher. Enjoy him while you can. Will be off at the end of the season. Great goal again 8

Doyle Worked hard and showed genuine ability when given the chance 7

Substitutes.

Berra. Oh dear 1
Milijas. Made a major difference and great dead balls as usual. 8

Thick F IN Mick: 4-4 4-4 4-4 effing 2. Three centre forwards and when he rightly brings Milijas on as one of the very few footballers in the squad he does it for a midfield player. Like for like subs again. What a brain dead idiot. It looks like Sunderlands all over again. A veritable Rabbit in the headlights of this league. If he loves Championship players so much that is where he should be managing and it looks like that is where he is taking us. minus 1 million

Papper
12-02-2012, 16:50
In the second we shifted Jarvis inside and between the lines. We were desperately isolated in the first half and it briefly improved us. The problem was he shifted SEB to outside left and whilst it caused some chaos in attack it left a huge gap down our left as Ward tried to get some crosses in. As a consequence we were carved open time and time again.

There was a huge gap down our left from the KO. Ward should learn to play as a LB first and foremost - he was made to look a fool today. O'Hara gave him and Jarvis a $$$$$$$ing early on. Hodgson did his homework. He should have started Doyler in the hole and Hammill out wide. We should have got at them - it was only hope.

QB Wolf
12-02-2012, 16:52
Hennessey. Has been criticised for some of the goals but to be honest it was shots in. He made world class save after save to keep us in the game in the first half and is operating behind perhaps the worst Wolves defence since the years when we dropped down 4 divisions. 7.

Foley. Totally lacking in confidence. Or more pertinently totally lacking. Did not look quick or strong enough for this league. 3

Johnson. The defense has been appalling since he signed. No clean sheets since forever. Seemed to do well in the first two games against weakened opposition. Today boots the ball in the air in the area and then stands watching it. Flaps his hands around blaming everyone else. Appalling player, appalling captain, appalling signing. 0

Bassong. A class above our players. 8

Ward. Poor game by this season's standards. Big George maybe would have done better with his physical presence against tricky wingers. 4

Edwards. A major factor in the poor performance. Never in amillion years a Premiership player. 0.

O'Hara along with Milijas the only players comfortable on the ball. 7

Jarvis. Championship player who rarely delivers at this level. 2

SEB. Championship player who NEVER delivers at this level 0

Fletcher. Enjoy him while you can. Will be off at the end of the season. Great goal again 8

Doyle Worked hard and showed genuine ability when given the chance 7

Substitutes.

Berra. Oh dear 1
Milijas. Made a major difference and great dead balls as usual. 8

Thick F IN Mick: 4-4 4-4 4-4 effing 2. Three centre forwards and when he rightly brings Milijas on as one of the very few footballers in the squad he does it for a midfield player. Like for like subs again. What a brain dead idiot. It looks like Sunderlands all over again. A veritable Rabbit in the headlights of this league. If he loves Championship players so much that is where he should be managing and it looks like that is where he is taking us. minus 1 million

Agree with most of this, if I never see SEB in a Wolves shirt again I'd be chuffed.

-ShuWolf-
12-02-2012, 17:00
I found myself actually thinking that i dont want Mick to keep us up because that would give Fat Jez and Morgan a reason to keep him on and thus cause a repeat fo this $$$$e next year.
At least if we go down they might see it right to ring the changes

AW
12-02-2012, 17:02
Probably nothing in it but rumours going around on twitter that MM has offered his resignation.

haden-wolf
12-02-2012, 17:18
Spot on mate

We started with completely the wrong system- no-one in football would have put out a 442 against an Albion midfield technical and comfortable in possession except the inept one number two. As a result we chased shadows for 45 minutes and but for Hennessey, lack of cutting edge from Albion and a freak rare counter, it could and should have been 5 with no reply.

Fullbacks exposed and we played wight into woys hands this afternoon

We had our mullering of them with Roberts hatrick - today they paid us back - but we helped them big time

Mick waited until late in the game to rectify it and we started to improve after Milijas' introduction but after Bassong departed with injury we were wide open and it was no surprise to see us cave in. Most disappointing was seeing us give up at the end.

derbyrameater
12-02-2012, 17:18
I don`t think the team are fit in the sense of not just being able to run for miles but having spare oxygen going to the BRAIN for 90 minutes.

Big Mack
12-02-2012, 17:23
I went expecting nothing therefore I wasn't shocked or suprised by that 'performance'.

Point one... when we were getting over-run in the first half, Mick's way of changing things was to tell Berra to get warmed up as a warning to the defence.

Point two... what was the point of playing Jarvis down the middle?

Point three... despite all their pressure we could have been ahead at the start of the second half.

Point four... when did Hennessey start taking fumbling lessons?

Point five... and the most important and most worrying point. We accepted defeat today with at least ten minutes left.

Point six... I feel sick.

Edgmond Wolf
12-02-2012, 17:26
We were outplayed for 90 minutes, we were lucky to go in at half time 1-1, Hennesset had made save after save where Foster has $$$$ all to do

tiggerkev
12-02-2012, 17:34
A totally clueless performance. Boys against men or should I say Championship against Premiership.

Would like to say I'm angry but I'm totally numb. Me and the missus were discussing next seasons Championship away days as we walked away from that.

Tettenhall Wolf
12-02-2012, 17:34
Probably nothing in it but rumours going around on twitter that MM has offered his resignation.

Twice in two weeks. What's all this offered resignation. Just $$$$ing go. To be honest, I wouldn't want to say if I was him, but then again it's not my fault.

singwolf_1
12-02-2012, 17:40
Even at the start of the 2nd half, I didn't see us being hammered like that. We lost for 3 reasons
1- tactics - 4-5-1 please Mick - we were lucky to win vs QPR with THAT formation
2- too many players went missing today - Foley, Wardy, Jarvis, Fletch (goal and the header apart)..
3- Hennessey gifted them 3 goals

The rest has been said. I thought that SEB did ok. What a horrible defense. The players should donate their weekly salary to a charity. They certainly didn't earn it today.

Bevan
12-02-2012, 17:42
He won't go. You just know we're stuck with him, no matter how bad it gets.

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 17:44
SEB, Ward, Foley, Berra, when he came on, Edwards. All Championship players who looked totally out of their depth today. I even say this about Foley today who I do rate but he looked awful today.
This is what happens when a manager wastes so much money on players since we got promoted, hardly plays some of them or gives them a chance and retains far too much faith in the players that got us promoted and I dont buy this young and hungry $$$$$$$$ anymore as most of the players that played today could hardly be described as kids.
Tactics and style of play along with defending are beyond a joke. We look and play like a league one side. Embarrassing and humiliating on a massive scale today.

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 17:44
He won't go. You just know we're stuck with him, no matter how bad it gets.

Which just about sums it all up at this club at the moment!

Pengwern
12-02-2012, 17:59
I thought Milijas looked good when he came on. Passed well, held the ball well, took good corners and covered their midfielders.

Monkey Man
12-02-2012, 18:05
It's hard what to say really, from the first minute we were in trouble and had we have gone in 4-1 down it would have been difficult to complain.

Not countering the Albion threat at half time was suicidal and we got what we deserved. It wasn't a loss it was an utter beating.

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 18:20
Ill hold my hands up now and say I think I am wrong in my support for MM. Today was not good enough and I cant find any excuses for that perfomance.

451 disappeares to some kind of no midfeild performance. He then tried to rectify the situation by taking our best winger (Jarvis) and playing him somewhere in the middle, to no effect.

Milijas should have started. He shown in the first 5mins when he cam on that he can control the game. Would have suited him today playing against WBA midfeild.

Apart from Doyle, Fletch and Henners, no-one deserves any comment.

SEB should not start a Premier League game for a while. Doesnt drop deep for the ball, cant control the ball, cant hold the ball up, cant run, cant track back, cant pass, cant contribute.

Oh, and how much do we miss KH?

I hold MM responsible for today.

BlackBully
12-02-2012, 18:25
Our fullbacks were a joke yet again, Ward is a liability and he's our best left back! Ridgewell had a good game for them, did we even bother trying to get him? I doubt it. Foley aint up to it I've decided, he's never made the step up to Premiership level.

Hennessey can make a hundred great saves, if he throws 1 or 2 into his net every game then nobody in the world will touch him.

Midfield was set up in a simply ridiculous way, O' Hara and Edwards on their own in the middle? That was never going to work and so it proved. We got out of jail BIG TIME at 1/2 time but despite this Mick kept the same team, same shape and lo and behold we got slaughtered again!

Clueless, inept, deja vu x 10. The writing was on the wall October time, January came and went without any real changes and so it comes as no surprise we just got humiliated by our local rivals on national TV. At home. 5-1.

Not good enough. It wasn't good enough months ago, the whole of the management and the players can collectively hang their heads in shame.

I actually had a bit of optimism after last week but that's been extinguished in the most spectacular way imaginable. We're down and replacing Mick won't make an iota of difference now IMO. $$$$.

ginboomerang
12-02-2012, 18:26
Ill hold my hands up now and say I think I am wrong in my support for MM. Today was not good enough and I cant find any excuses for that perfomance.

451 disappeares to some kind of no midfeild performance. He then tried to rectify the situation by taking our best winger (Jarvis) and playing him somewhere in the middle, to no effect.

Milijas should have started. He shown in the first 5mins when he cam on that he can control the game. Would have suited him today playing against WBA midfeild.

SEB should not start a Premier League game for a while. Doesnt drop deep for the ball, cant control the ball, cant hold the ball up, cant run, cant track back, cant pass, cant contribute.

We don't miss KH at all. We have been crap all season with him in the team so exactly how have we missed him ?

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 18:33
Because at least when he is there, there is a midfeild that stands up to the opposition and not just let them run through constantly.

ginboomerang
12-02-2012, 18:38
Because at least when he is there, there is a midfeild that stands up to the opposition and not just let them run through constantly.

Give it up johnny, check the goals against with KH in the side, I believe we are in negative equity. Premier midfielders have more in their locker than an occasional tackle.

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 18:41
You saying we didnt miss KH today?

Do you not think there would have been more fight and defensive cover if he was there?

MK Panther
12-02-2012, 18:47
Michael Owen - Man Utd and England on twitter
I can't work Wolves out. They always win when I expect them to lose and they lose when I expect them to win.

This is not rocket science they confuse teams who expect them to play football and they do not.

O.W.E.I
12-02-2012, 18:48
To lose 1-5 at home to ANYONE, whatever your level is unacceptable.

kennyB
12-02-2012, 19:01
I would just like to say that I sympathise with any of our fans who have to go and work with Baggies supporters tomorrow. Humiliating experience.

TREASURE WOLF
12-02-2012, 19:13
forget formations and tactics our players seemed clueless as footballers, albions players seemed to know how to hold the ball, shield it from our players and move it on to another stripey player and move as a unit FORWARD towards the goal, we just hoofed it from hennesey or the back four, none of our team could hold the ball and get passed a player, we really have gone backwards and that comes from coaching.
average players can look better with better players round them, we havent got them apart from fletch and doyle, absolute pity frimpong got injured but the writing is on the wall for me.
13 games left and more than a point a game needed, we havent done that over the season and unless someone comes in and changes things we are down

Akaman
12-02-2012, 19:39
We don't miss KH at all. We have been crap all season with him in the team so exactly how have we missed him ?

The gaping holes we saw today are nowhere near as big with Henry playing. In fact they don't really exist

yateleywolf
12-02-2012, 20:03
Surprised at some praise towards SEB didn`t appear to do much today.
Foley/Ward both had shockers.
Foley had a nightmare against QPR as well so hope Zubar can come back for Newcastle game.

Thought Milijas did OK when he came on.

Have to say very frustrated with Hennessay today.When he let one of the goals in he was just sitting there smiling about it.Don`t understand that myself.
Seem`s to get slower getting down as well lately.
He`s obviously a great shot-stopper but noticed this weakness more lately.

Make`s me wonder if he moved on and received different coaching this would be sorted out.

Ogerp
12-02-2012, 20:49
Still angry.
My verdict is the sheer incompetence today, summed up when we kicked off and put the ball straight out of play on the half way line for a throw to Albion.

You just could not make it up!!!!!!!!!

Waggy's Boots
12-02-2012, 20:51
the only positive I can glean from today is that I am now a couple of hundred miiles away from Wolverhampton and dont have to work with any Baggies fans...what a way to spend a Sunday - drive 3 hours full of expectation a couple of pints still full of expectation..an attacking side named 'brave' someone called it....think for a few moments that we'll see attack against defence....

then we do..they attack and we (or rather Hennessey) defend and somehow go in at half time all square- they should have been 3 or 4 up...no matter Mick will change it at half time....

Maybe he'll bring stearman on at fullback and push foley into midfield and sacrifice SEB? maybe he'll bring Milijas on at Ht and sacrifice Doyle...theories abound and...nothinig nada nich stuff all..fletchers goal somehow papers over the cracks...
second half and maybe we should have or could have got a goal or two but then we get mullered thumped absolutely given a lesson in organisation and skill...by the boggies by woy...dear oh dear
Sad sad journey down the motorway tonight....at least all they could talk about on the radio was suarez ...could have been worse!

Actually no it couldnt

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 21:31
The basics need to be sorted now ASAP.

What would we do if we didnt have Fletch?

All the optimism of last week has disappeared.

Skonsengwolf
12-02-2012, 21:37
Still angry.
My verdict is the sheer incompetence today, summed up when we kicked off and put the ball straight out of play on the half way line for a throw to Albion.

I actually laughed out loud when that happened. It summed up just how awful we were today, and how utterly hopeless the situation has become. We were so bad it was laughable...

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 21:39
I was hoping for an all at um second half, then that happened...kinda knew where it was going from then on.

tipton81
12-02-2012, 21:41
Depressing. That is the verdict.

I walked back through Wolverhampton toward the train station with the Albion lot, it was $$$$ing painful.

A few of thier of lads in front of me were debating whether today was better than when they stopped us going up in the choke season or whether it sat in between that and the time they had the South Bank in the FA Cup and easily beat us. Or maybe it was when they beat us in the Play Offs with 100's on the pitch doing the 'easy' 'easy' dance.

They've had some truly great days at our expense over the years but today tops the lot.

Cheers Mick, Cheers Jez, Cheers Steve, Cheers lads. I'm hoping that this hurts you as much as it hurts the heartbeat of the club tonight but I'm guessing that sat in your mansions and drawing your undeserved mega bucks wages it doesn't.

QB Wolf
12-02-2012, 21:53
Depressing. That is the verdict.

I walked back through Wolverhampton toward the train station with the Albion lot, it was $$$$ing painful.

A few of thier of lads in front of me were debating whether today was better than when they stopped us going up in the choke season or whether it sat in between that and the time they had the South Bank in the FA Cup and easily beat us. Or maybe it was when they beat us in the Play Offs with 100's on the pitch doing the 'easy' 'easy' dance.

They've had some truly great days at our expense over the years but today tops the lot.

Cheers Mick, Cheers Jez, Cheers Steve, Cheers lads. I'm hoping that this hurts you as much as it hurts the heartbeat of the club tonight but I'm guessing that sat in your mansions and drawing your undeserved mega bucks wages it doesn't.

Or when Bully scored that last minute volleyed winner, or the Iwan Roberts hat-trick or the 3 points we got last season to help us stop up.

tipton81
12-02-2012, 22:03
Or when Bully scored that last minute volleyed winner, or the Iwan Roberts hat-trick or the 3 points we got last season to help us stop up.

None of those hold the same magnitude or had as much at stake though.

Akaman
13-02-2012, 00:51
I was very worried before the game, slightly more optimistic at kick off and my fears were confirmed during the match. We were woeful, we had no shape, no ideas, no plan whatsoever. Everyone who played some part in that debacle needs to have a good hard look at themselves and if they decide there's nothing wrong they should $$$$ off.

Hennessey - Kept us in it first half, but a couple of bad mistakes - 6

Foley - Mr 7/10. Not today, not recently, not good enough to cut it regularly at this level - 4

Ward - Decent going forward but I'll repeat what I said two years ago, a left back who can't defend - 4

Johnson - I thought he made some good interceptions and at least tried to play from the back, no idea what he was watching for the third though - 5

Bassong - Looked a bit off it then got injured. Has quality but not sure how much we'll see - 5

Jarvis - Not used in an attacking sense at all, did some good tracking and tackles near our box but surely that's a CM job - 5

Edwards - Right then, where do I start? A waste of a shirt, but at least he was able to run around - 3
which leads me to
O'Hara - There is no way he was fit to play. Not a chance in hell. He couldn't move after 20 minutes but amazingly lasted 90. If he was unfit McCarthy needs battering over it, if he wasn't then it's the worst, most lazy performance I've ever seen from a midfielder. 5/10 if unfit, 0/10 if fit

Doyle - One of our better players, did some good work like the Doyle of old and did his defensive duties well - 6

SEB - I like SEB, but there wasn't a lot of quality to go with the effort today. Did want to make things happen though - 5

Fletcher - Goal out of nothing, unlucky with a header but other than that not his best game and he wasn't well supported - 6

Berra - Came on and looked $$$$ - 4

Milijas - Made a difference, big time, in between his introduction and their third we had our best spell and he was instrumental - 7

McCarthy - Hopeless, out of his depth, time to go - 0

Oldgold Wolfcub
13-02-2012, 01:03
I went expecting nothing therefore I wasn't shocked or suprised by that 'performance'.

Point one... when we were getting over-run in the first half, Mick's way of changing things was to tell Berra to get warmed up as a warning to the defence.

Point two... what was the point of playing Jarvis down the middle?

Point three... despite all their pressure we could have been ahead at the start of the second half.

Point five... and the most important and most worrying point. We accepted defeat today with at least ten minutes left.

Point six... I feel sick.
Probably all those big Mac(k)s.:goodnight:

JOSWolf
13-02-2012, 01:05
None of those hold the same magnitude or had as much at stake though.

Very true. Yesterdays utter humiliation and embarrassment will live long in the memory as does the humiliation when Albion were eleven points behind us and still went up. We were also very poor when we lost at the Hawthorns earlier in the season. They are a better team with a much better manager.

Oldgold Wolfcub
13-02-2012, 01:07

Johny have you finally been given the truth drug. Welcome to reality.
Now the rest of you infidels see sense.

Oldgold Wolfcub
13-02-2012, 01:13
the only positive I can glean from today is that I am now a couple of hundred miiles away from Wolverhampton and dont have to work with any Baggies fans..
And the same most probably for Morgan, Moxey, Mick and his crew.
If it hurt them like it hurts the fans it would not happen.

TorontoWolves
13-02-2012, 04:18
I don't think johnson was as poor as some people are making him out to be, he was better than Ward, and Foley (although they were very poor). I think what really doomed us was bassong coming off. Berra was horrible! In general Mick got his tactics wrong. West Brom have a very strong midfield, and lining up with 3 strikers was never going to win us the game imo, and what the hell was Jarvis doing in the centre of the midfield?

Hopefully Henry will come back into the side and give us that extra protection from counters that we sorely missed today.

Tettenhall Wolf
13-02-2012, 08:37
Still angry.

When we kicked it out from the kick off I laughed, turned to my dad and said 'well that's the team talk out of the window'. We only have ourselves to blame don't we.

wallace
13-02-2012, 08:45
dead men walking, no way back for them. management and team totally and utterly shot. 13 matches to prove me wrong.

JR's Boots
13-02-2012, 09:01
A complete and utter shambles and surely the end for Mick and Terry. We can't go on like this.

Ward produced the worst performance by a left back I've ever seen. He backed off, backed and then backed off some more. All Albion had to do was switch the play to our left and fill their boots.

Edwards is a headless chicken and for him to be picked in centre midfield ahead of Milijas is a joke.

WV10Wolf
13-02-2012, 09:05

Since we hired a GK coach who's biggest club as a player was Barry Town.

FLEET WOLF
13-02-2012, 09:08

Dead right about the formation-as soon as I saw the team I was worried. Albion are known for their passing football so we needed 5 in midfield to compete. The problem is, Doyle scored last week and SEB did pretty well there in the second half, so he felt as though he couldn't leave them out. Fair enough, in some ways, to keep Doyle in the side, perhaps where he was, but we needed an extra body in midfield and that was obvious after about a minute! Tactically shocking!

Monkey Man
13-02-2012, 09:28
I put myself through the whole game again last night as I needed to know if it was as bad as on first viewing.

It's worse.

To say Hen keeps us in the game is an underestimation, Albion look and are are MUCH better team than us, they had injuries as well but still managed to play a formation, we on the other hand just stuck names on a sheet and asked them to play there.

By the way on second viewing Bassong has a mare and his positioning is terrible throughout the game. Very worrying.

Finally the lack of pace in the side is almost funny, we have NOT ONE quick player.

Wolfrev
13-02-2012, 09:42
Feared the worst when I saw the team. That 11 did really well in the 2nd half at QPR - in that situation. This was a different situation. We all knew that the system we were playing relied too much on the two midfielders. Then we discover that they only trained on Friday ie not fully fit. Surely they could see from the bench that it needed to be changed, but have we the players to be flexible during a game?
So now relegation is 3 from 5. We have got ourselves in this mess - now we have to fight over next 13 games to avoid relegation, whoever is the manager. 6 home - Blackburn (MUST WIN), Man Unt, Bolton (MUST WIN), Arsenal. Manchester City, Everton.
Away: Newcastle, Fulham, Norwich, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Wigan.

We will see.

Come on boys, we need to get better, quick.

FLEET WOLF
13-02-2012, 10:09
I put myself through the whole game again last night as I needed to know if it was as bad as on first viewing.

It's worse.

To say Hen keeps us in the game is an underestimation, Albion look and are are MUCH better team than us, they had injuries as well but still managed to play a formation, we on the other hand just stuck names on a sheet and asked them to play there.

By the way on second viewing Bassong has a mare and his positioning is terrible throughout the game. Very worrying.

Finally the lack of pace in the side is almost funny, we have NOT ONE quick player.

We do indeed lack pace and yes, Bassong is unfortunately not the Messiah, but about the same level as Johnson and Berra. Albion's passing and movement was so much better and they also seemed tougher to me. It looked like a PL team playing an average League 1 game in a cup tie. It was desparately embarrassing to watch and another time when we have looked absolute $$$$ on television.

Sheriff Woody
13-02-2012, 10:46
For what it's worth here's how I saw it.

Tactically it was wrong. We went out there with effectively 2 in midfield against Albions 5, Doyle was ineffective out wide and spent most of his time supporting Foley, Jarvis was non-existent. Edwards and O'Hara were overrun from the very start, all Albion had to do was drop one of their midfield in behind Fortune and we were chasing shadows. The thing that $$$$es me off the most is that Albion showed what a team of limited players are capable of if they are utilised correctly and they show desire and a will to win.

Hennessey - Kept us in it in the first half, made several world class saves. Should have saved the second, although if he'd have picked the ball up when before Johnson stuck it straight up in the air he wouldn't have needed to. He might be a decent shot stopper but what annoys me is he never seems to $$$$$$$ people, he just claps his hands and gets on with it.

Foley - Had a mare from the off. Got caught facing his own goal with his back to the play in the first couple of minutes allowing Thomas to have a free shot from just outside the 6 yard box. Got run ragged for most of the game.

Ward - Odemwingie made him look exactly what he is, a striker playing as a left back. The amount of times he was caught out wandering into the middle leaving acres of space for Albion down our left side was ridiculous.

Johnson - When the balls in the air in front of him, he heads it away. When it's anywhere else he hadn't got a clue. Spends most of his time waving his arms about looking for someone else to blame. About a mobile as my nan.

Bassong - Tried to bring the ball out of defence a few times, failed and resorted to the usual Wolves hoofs. Tweaked his hamstring, went off and the defence fell apart even more.

Edwards - Ran around a lot chasing shadows and looking tired. Spent most of his time trying to get back and cover.

O'Hara - Wanted the ball a lot, wanted to play 50 yard passes a lot. Wanted someone else to do his tracking back a lot, until he realised there was no-one else there and made a token effort to get back. Gave the ball away a lot. Had one free-kick just outside the box but rather than just striking the dead ball decided it needed to be shifted and ultimately it got blocked roughly an inch in front of him. Looks like he's running in treacle.

Jarvis - Midfield dynamo you are not. I don't know whose ridiculous idea it was to try and play you in central midfield, I'm not sure you were even supposed to be there. Offered no cover for Ward, offered nothing going forward apart from one run where instead of smashing the ball across the 6 yard box he decided to cut is back to the only person standing on the penalty spot. Shame it was an Albion player.

Doyle - Spent most of his time covering Foley. Tracked back. Played his part in Fletcher's goal............ that's it. Other than that looked lost, clueless and a shadow of the player we signed.

Ebanks-Blake - Ran around, chased shadows. At least looked like he wanted to be positive. Lovely header around the corner for Fletcher. Doesn't look like a Premiership striker but then I guess you could put Van Persie up front for us and he'd look $$$$ given the service our midfield provides.

Fletcher - Scored a great goal. Had one header brilliantly saved by Foster. Controlled the ball everytime, won his flick-ons most of the time, passed the ball to players in day-glo orange shirts. Looks the only player capable of doing anything above the level of Sunday League.

Subs

Milijas - Passed to ball nicely but was part of the midfield that got overrun in the final quarter of the game. Saying that didn't get much help from anybody else. Not a fan of his but at least he was capable of passing to a Wolves player.

Berra - Like Milijas I felt a bit sorry for him to be honest. Came on when we were already chasing the game and was left to be humiliated by those around him.

All the other subs - Lucky you weren't involved but think about retirement because I'd be massively disappointed if I wasn't considered better than the vast majority of those on the pitch.

The positives to take from it is it doesn't get worse than that, there's nowhere to hide for any of these players anymore. They can only do one thing to make this better and that's put in enough performances to keep us up. I've never questioned their desire, passion and guts until yesterday, they gave up and they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves after that cowardly display.

haden-wolf
13-02-2012, 10:48
Any truth in the rumour that the PA is stopping playing Zep before games and replacing it with the de de de de dedle de de da da dar da circus music when we run out and 'send in the clowns' for the second half?

Tony
13-02-2012, 10:54
For what it's worth here's how I saw it.

Tactically it was wrong. We went out there with effectively 2 in midfield against Albions 5, Doyle was ineffective out wide and spent most of his time supporting Foley, Jarvis was non-existent. Edwards and O'Hara were overrun from the very start, all Albion had to do was drop one of their midfield in behind Fortune and we were chasing shadows. The thing that $$$$es me off the most is that Albion showed what a team of limited players are capable of if they are utilised correctly and they show desire and a will to win.

Hennessey - Kept us in it in the first half, made several world class saves. Should have saved the second, although if he'd have picked the ball up when before Johnson stuck it straight up in the air he wouldn't have needed to. He might be a decent shot stopper but what annoys me is he never seems to $$$$$$$ people, he just claps his hands and gets on with it.

Foley - Had a mare from the off. Got caught facing his own goal with his back to the play in the first couple of minutes allowing Thomas to have a free shot from just outside the 6 yard box. Got run ragged for most of the game.

Ward - Odemwingie made him look exactly what he is, a striker playing as a left back. The amount of times he was caught out wandering into the middle leaving acres of space for Albion down our left side was ridiculous.

Johnson - When the balls in the air in front of him, he heads it away. When it's anywhere else he hadn't got a clue. Spends most of his time waving his arms about looking for someone else to blame. About a mobile as my nan.

Bassong - Tried to bring the ball out of defence a few times, failed and resorted to the usual Wolves hoofs. Tweaked his hamstring, went off and the defence fell apart even more.

Edwards - Ran around a lot chasing shadows and looking tired. Spent most of his time trying to get back and cover.

O'Hara - Wanted the ball a lot, wanted to play 50 yard passes a lot. Wanted someone else to do his tracking back a lot, until he realised there was no-one else there and made a token effort to get back. Gave the ball away a lot. Had one free-kick just outside the box but rather than just striking the dead ball decided it needed to be shifted and ultimately it got blocked roughly an inch in front of him. Looks like he's running in treacle.

Jarvis - Midfield dynamo you are not. I don't know whose ridiculous idea it was to try and play you in central midfield, I'm not sure you were even supposed to be there. Offered no cover for Ward, offered nothing going forward apart from one run where instead of smashing the ball across the 6 yard box he decided to cut is back to the only person standing on the penalty spot. Shame it was an Albion player.

Doyle - Spent most of his time covering Foley. Tracked back. Played his part in Fletcher's goal............ that's it. Other than that looked lost, clueless and a shadow of the player we signed.

Ebanks-Blake - Ran around, chased shadows. At least looked like he wanted to be positive. Lovely header around the corner for Fletcher. Doesn't look like a Premiership striker but then I guess you could put Van Persie up front for us and he'd look $$$$ given the service our midfield provides.

Fletcher - Scored a great goal. Had one header brilliantly saved by Foster. Controlled the ball everytime, won his flick-ons most of the time, passed the ball to players in day-glo orange shirts. Looks the only player capable of doing anything above the level of Sunday League.

Subs

Milijas - Passed to ball nicely but was part of the midfield that got overrun in the final quarter of the game. Saying that didn't get much help from anybody else. Not a fan of his but at least he was capable of passing to a Wolves player.

Berra - Like Milijas I felt a bit sorry for him to be honest. Came on when we were already chasing the game and was left to be humiliated by those around him.

All the other subs - Lucky you weren't involved but think about retirement because I'd be massively disappointed if I wasn't considered better than the vast majority of those on the pitch.

The positives to take from it is it doesn't get worse than that, there's nowhere to hide for any of these players anymore. They can only do one thing to make this better and that's put in enough performances to keep us up. I've never questioned their desire, passion and guts until yesterday, they gave up and they should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves after that cowardly display.
That's exactly how I saw it but I couldn't have put it into words as good as you, thanks!

FLEET WOLF
13-02-2012, 11:03
That's exactly how I saw it but I couldn't have put it into words as good as you, thanks!

I agree and on the subs, perhaps the only decent thing Mick did was not bring on Hunt!