PDA

View Full Version : Humiliation - over to you Morgan

goldeneyed
12-02-2012, 15:01
It has all been said before on this board. But if ever the chickens came home to roost it was today. To see the West Brom players showboating at the end was the final humiliation after Andrews had already put the final nail in our coffin.

There should be no accusations about knee-jerk reactions, this performance is only a slightly more extreme version of the poverty we have seen on the field most of thius season.

Morgan has got it wrong with McCarthy and it is time for him to admit it to himself. If he had any courage he would have tried to bring O'Neil in when there was the opportunity earlier in the season. The signs of our decline have been everywhere. Today we could have easily lost 10-1 and that is no exaggeration. The same failures, the same problems keep repeating. Nothing has been learnt.

There has been a bit of bad luck and I am just praying Bassong was not seriously injured today. But overall we have a team who cannot play football. It is not just about resources and not buying better players. The coaching is hopeless, the evidence is there for everyone to see. Hodgson's men were clearly well drilled, he is an intelligent manager. Our team were shambolic. MM had the chance to change it, he didn't even though it was obvious we were being overrun in midfield.

He has sent Guedioura away which is insane, and refuses to play Hammill. Mistake after mistake after mistake. Meanwhile the players are just not responding. They may support him in theory but their individual performance belie this. The writing has been on the wall for months and now everyone is suddenly waking up to the repercussions - almost certain relegation and back to square one yet again.

Morgan will almost certainly keep with MM even after today's humiliation because there is no obvious candidate out there. Perhaps Curbishley could do a job next season in the Championship. But for now it will be two more months of watching rubbish dressed up in player's sweating away, misplacing passes and MM coming up with all the usual quotes which are getting tiresome to say the least.

Morgan has left things too late and I think he must share the blame. He has ignored the evidence of his own eyes and one tirade in the dressing room is hardly enough. There is a real sense of inevitability about us going down after today's utter humiliation. There may be five teams still in it but after Wigan's win yesyterday we look the most likely to get the wooden spoon. MM should be thanked for all his efforts but at the first opportunity this summer should be sent on his way. Next manager? No idea. Just getting used to the idea of us almost certainly becoming a second division team again. And all so bloody unnecessary. It is hard not to feel angry about it all. There are no more excuses. Just can't understand why we are SO bad.

Poole Wolf
12-02-2012, 15:06
Midfield? Wot's that?

StefanWolves
12-02-2012, 15:08
Midfield? Wot's that?

yea having one today could have been helpful

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 15:09
Sort it out Morgan and fat controller.

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 15:09
yea having one today could have been helpful

We havent had one all season. Why is Dave Edwards still at the club? He offers nothing!

Hrothgar
12-02-2012, 15:12
Yep, that just about says it all mate, very very very disappointing end to an era of so much optimism.Sad is definitely the word.

EdwardLoxdale
12-02-2012, 15:12
We havent had one all season. Why is Dave Edwards still at the club? He offers nothing!

Dave Edwards is a quality player. One of best today. Sprays ball round, harries defenders and won some crucial tackles in the first half today.

wolf97
12-02-2012, 15:13
When was the last time we lost to Albion by such a scoreline? My dad can't remember, he's 46 and has been a fan since 1972.

Big Saft Kid
12-02-2012, 15:16
Dave Edwards is a quality player. One of best today. Sprays ball round, harries defenders and won some crucial tackles in the first half today.

Are you insane, or do you really believe that?

Big Saft Kid
12-02-2012, 15:17
When was the last time we lost to Albion by such a scoreline? My dad can't remember, he's 46 and has been a fan since 1972.

1962, we lost by the same score at home. The next season, mind you, we beat them by our record score, 7-0!

Wolfman jack
12-02-2012, 15:17
Its the poor quality of football that really sticks in my throat. No quick breaks forward, mis placed passed and poor ball control, very few well worked goals, poor shooting from distance, panicking and incompetent defence, players played out of position, all this combined with a lack of new players coming in summer and january, Jonson excepted (!!). We were so lucky last season, but our passion seems to have gone and surely we are doomed. Our best players will all leave so its a good chance to start again and for Morgan to put the heart back into the club.

EdwardLoxdale
12-02-2012, 15:18

I honestly believe that. In my opinion he is a great player. His two tackles in first half made him the best for us today in my view.

Wolfman jack

Agreed that DE is an average squad player who puts in a shift.

ice cream head

He think Eggbert is a good footballer aswell. Either a troll or completely clueless about football.

wolf97
12-02-2012, 15:19
1962, we lost by the same score at home. The next season, mind you, we beat them by our record score, 7-0!

See, 50 years. Our worst result against them for 50 YEARS. And the 7-0 could be an omen! :D

EdwardLoxdale
12-02-2012, 15:20
He think Eggbert is a good footballer aswell. Either a troll or completely clueless about football.

So I'm not allowed to have an opinion? I suggest you grow up and start learning how a forum works....people have opinions and have a right to discuss without insults

wolf97
12-02-2012, 15:20
I honestly believe that. In my opinion he is a great player. His two tackles in first half made him the best for us today in my view.

$$$$ing troll. You want McCarthy to stay as well. $$$$ off.

el gringo
12-02-2012, 15:21
at some point 1962 was mentioned on the broadcast I was watching - I don't remember if it was qualified with "at the Molineux", or if it was 1-4 or 1-5.

at 1-4 the commentator asked "4-1 down at home to your rivals in the Black Country derby, can it get any worse that that?" I'm sure I wasn't the only one to think, "yes, very easily".

just go, McCarthy

(already answered while I was writing that)

topcat99
12-02-2012, 15:22
Your Dad is 46? And he cant remember?

I feel really old now , being 46..

However, you made me smile on a desperate day!

And ask him about Kindon against Chelsea (7-0)

howling wolf
Morgan will almost certainly keep with MM even after today's humiliation because there is no obvious candidate out there..

I think the manner of today's defeat means he will get rid of Mick even without a replacement lined up. The problem is that we don't don't even have an assistant capable of taking over in the interim. But with no game next week at least it gives us a little time to find someone.

EdwardLoxdale
$$$$ing troll. You want McCarthy to stay as well. $$$$ off.

So I'm not allowed to get behind the team? Am I having a go at you for having an opinion? Grow up. I have friends who don't agree with me but we can chat about it rather than throw insults.

GoldenHorseshoe

Both, plus he's a $$$$!

el gringo
12-02-2012, 15:23
don't feed the troll!

wolf97
Your Dad is 46? And he cant remember?

I feel really old now , being 46..

However, you made me smile on a desperate day!

Yep, I'm only 20! :D

Stralis01
Midfield? Wot's that?

Those who watch the ball go over their heads:rolleyes:

wolf97
12-02-2012, 15:24
So I'm not allowed to get behind the team? Am I having a go at you for having an opinion? Grow up. I have friends who don't agree with me but we can chat about it rather than throw insults.

But man you have to see sense. MICK IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Losing 5-1 to them is enough to make me cry. All fans who went should be refunded.

ice cream head
12-02-2012, 15:24
So I'm not allowed to have an opinion? I suggest you grow up and start learning how a forum works....people have opinions and have a right to discuss without insults

Correct they do. However, you just seem to take the opposing view point of the majority all the time, on every subject.

If you think Eggbert and Edwards are top class footballers, you are clueless i'm afriad. No insults there, just MY OPINION.

EdwardLoxdale
12-02-2012, 15:29
Correct they do. However, you just seem to take the opposing view point of the majority all the time, on every subject.

If you think Eggbert and Edwards are top class footballers, you are clueless i'm afriad. No insults there, just MY OPINION.

But am I saying it in an insulting manor? No . I think Edwards is quality and I feel it is to soon to judge eggy. I do not take opposing view all the time, I state my view without any insults and with respect to other users. I doubt I am the only person in the world who thinks Edwards is good player or he wouldn't be where he is. I'm sorry if my views offend you but I'm just stating my opinion

King Kenny
12-02-2012, 15:30

Even allowing for the fact that 'Great Player' is well over used these days this has to be a joke. I don't mind Dave Edwards and in a team that's well balanced (karl Henry) he makes some good runs into the box.I don't believe even his closest family would claim that he's a 'great' player.

Ponty
12-02-2012, 15:31
It has all been said before on this board. But if ever the chickens came home to roost it was today. To see the West Brom players showboating at the end was the final humiliation after Andrews had already put the final nail in our coffin.

There should be no accusations about knee-jerk reactions, this performance is only a slightly more extreme version of the poverty we have seen on the field most of thius season.

Morgan has got it wrong with McCarthy and it is time for him to admit it to himself. If he had any courage he would have tried to bring O'Neil in when there was the opportunity earlier in the season. The signs of our decline have been everywhere. Today we could have easily lost 10-1 and that is no exaggeration. The same failures, the same problems keep repeating. Nothing has been learnt.

There has been a bit of bad luck and I am just praying Bassong was not seriously injured today. But overall we have a team who cannot play football. It is not just about resources and not buying better players. The coaching is hopeless, the evidence is there for everyone to see. Hodgson's men were clearly well drilled, he is an intelligent manager. Our team were shambolic. MM had the chance to change it, he didn't even though it was obvious we were being overrun in midfield.

He has sent Guedioura away which is insane, and refuses to play Hammill. Mistake after mistake after mistake. Meanwhile the players are just not responding. They may support him in theory but their individual performance belie this. The writing has been on the wall for months and now everyone is suddenly waking up to the repercussions - almost certain relegation and back to square one yet again.

Morgan will almost certainly keep with MM even after today's humiliation because there is no obvious candidate out there. Perhaps Curbishley could do a job next season in the Championship. But for now it will be two more months of watching rubbish dressed up in player's sweating away, misplacing passes and MM coming up with all the usual quotes which are getting tiresome to say the least.

Morgan has left things too late and I think he must share the blame. He has ignored the evidence of his own eyes and one tirade in the dressing room is hardly enough. There is a real sense of inevitability about us going down after today's utter humiliation. There may be five teams still in it but after Wigan's win yesyterday we look the most likely to get the wooden spoon. MM should be thanked for all his efforts but at the first opportunity this summer should be sent on his way. Next manager? No idea. Just getting used to the idea of us almost certainly becoming a second division team again. And all so bloody unnecessary. It is hard not to feel angry about it all. There are no more excuses. Just can't understand why we are SO bad.

Excellent post - saved me typing it.

I said before the game we'd be mullered in midfield and we were.

I was amazed MM thought we could suddenly revert to 442 with two wide players who offer far more offensively than defensively.

It hasn't worked all season, unless you count 45 minutes against 10 men yet MM thinks he'll try it in the biggest game of the season.

Within 10 minutes it was clear we were being over-run but we persisted. After they scored I'd have happily taken 1-0 at ht and hoped we re-organised. The goal was wafer thin tissue paper over cracks like the Grand Canyon yet we came out unchanged, had about 3 minutes of reasonable play before the pattern of the first half rapidly returned. Still no change and by the time it got to 3-1 I don't know what he was thinking. No change, no urgency, no damage limitations. Clueless.

When we lost 6-0 at home to Southampton the score flattered them - today 5-1 flattered us. It could have been double figures.

Woburn Wolf
12-02-2012, 15:32
We lost 8-0 at home in 1893.

Ponty
12-02-2012, 15:35
Edwards was poor today but better than O'Hara, who seemed to expend more energy berating colleagues than getting stuck in. To be fair anyone would have struggled today. We were totally out-thought tactically and there's only one person responsible for that!

ice cream head
12-02-2012, 15:35
But am I saying it in an insulting manor? No . I think Edwards is quality and I feel it is to soon to judge eggy. I do not take opposing view all the time, I state my view without any insults and with respect to other users. I doubt I am the only person in the world who thinks Edwards is good player or he wouldn't be where he is. I'm sorry if my views offend you but I'm just stating my opinion

So he's gone from quality to good in a matter of minutes... In the right formation, with other players around him, Edwards can be an effective footballer. But he isn't and never will be 'quality' as you earlier claimed. Maybe you're not a troll, but if you want to be taken seriously, you should probably cut out the obviously untrue, over the top praise.

wolf97
12-02-2012, 15:37
We lost 8-0 at home in 1893.

Christ are you that old!! :eek::eek:

King Kenny
12-02-2012, 15:38
Edwards was poor today but better than O'Hara, who seemed to expend more energy berating colleagues than getting stuck in. To be fair anyone would have struggled today. We were totally out-thought tactically and there's only one person responsible for that!

I agree with your point here regarding tactics. Before the game i said to my son there is a slight chance we could win with 3 up front today but what is far more likely, against a team that have got all their points hitting teams on the break away from home, is that we'll take a stuffing. Thank God Hennesey had a good 1st half!

Boss Hogg
12-02-2012, 15:41
I think today also showed the gulf in management ability between McCarthy and Hodgson and gives an indication as to why Hodgson would be a decent outside bet for the England job. Albion were set up really well by Hodgson to attack our weak parts and pick us off on the break. As ever McCarthy had no plan B once his huff & puff, put in a shift strategy fell apart.

Bankswolf II
12-02-2012, 15:42
When did we as a football club become the laughing stock
Because that's all we are with results like this
Morgan needs to make the decision I can not deal with any more rubbish from
Mick admitting mistakes but plug away to the next game or the players declaring they have seen the error of their ways and will improve

Because they won't no one will, as it stands in the midlands we have lost to all the major west midland teams for people living in the area that's a lot of abuse coming your way and we have had nothing in return and today was just another embarrassing moment

This is Morgans big moment, never mind caring about the team surely protecting his investment is enough to pull the plug it will be the only saving grace now, sack him
Get someone in temporary charge and if they get us relegated then fine we rebuild from that but least there will be a chance of reprieve, with mick we are doomed

EdwardLoxdale
12-02-2012, 15:42
So he's gone from quality to good in a matter of minutes... In the right formation, with other players around him, Edwards can be an effective footballer. But he isn't and never will be 'quality' as you earlier claimed. Maybe you're not a troll, but if you want to be taken seriously, you should probably cut out the obviously untrue, over the top praise.

Everyone has a different view of quality and maybe I might be the only person to think that. Fair play if so I won't be calling people clueless for having an opinion on a subject. The beauty of football is everyone sees different things, people see different attributes in players hence why some managers get rid of players others feel are useful. If he isn't 'quality' state that's your opinion without personal insults, I'd be more than happy to discuss :-)

Papper
12-02-2012, 15:43
Good post goldeneyed. Not many times I feel really hurt but today well and truly smarts and from the first ten minutes I had serious concerns. It was almost too easy for WBA. I'm not sure now is the time for recriminations or vitriol towards anybody but I think it is clearer than ever before that Morgan must get somebody else in. My personal view was that it should have happened back in November. Thankfully we are still out of the bottom three and the new incumbent has some time to save us. Hopefully the incumbent has been on standby watching the Wolves intently and can get off the ground running.

StefanWolves
12-02-2012, 15:45
Good post goldeneyed. Not many times I feel really hurt but today well and truly smarts and from the first ten minutes I had serious concerns. It was almost too easy for WBA. I'm not sure now is the time for recriminations or vitriol towards anybody but I think it is clearer than ever before that Morgan must get somebody else in. My personal view was that it should have happened back in November. Thankfully we are still out of the bottom three and the new incumbent has some time to save us. Hopefully the incumbent has been on standby watching the Wolves intently and can get off the ground running.
look again

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 15:49

I dont agree Lox. He's poor and not good enough for the premiership. He looked lost today but flair play football is all about opinions and I know you care deeply about Wolves.

Metro Wolf 2007
12-02-2012, 15:51
When did we as a football club become the laughing stock
Because that's all we are with results like this
Morgan needs to make the decision I can not deal with any more rubbish from
Mick admitting mistakes but plug away to the next game or the players declaring they have seen the error of their ways and will improve

Because they won't no one will, as it stands in the midlands we have lost to all the major west midland teams for people living in the area that's a lot of abuse coming your way and we have had nothing in return and today was just another embarrassing moment

This is Morgans big moment, never mind caring about the team surely protecting his investment is enough to pull the plug it will be the only saving grace now, sack him
Get someone in temporary charge and if they get us relegated then fine we rebuild from that but least there will be a chance of reprieve, with mick we are doomed

Agree 100%.

For those of us who go and watch the matches every home game, the team have been a joke all season, and today, as with Liverpool and for most of the first half v QPR away when it was 11 v, we were absolutely clueless.

McCarthy Out Now, and if he stays then Morgan remains culpable as he is watching doing nothing as Rome burns.:mad:

EdwardLoxdale
12-02-2012, 15:51
I dont agree Lox. He's poor and not good enough for the premiership. He looked lost today.

Fair play. I respect your view as I am sure you respect mine.

ice cream head
12-02-2012, 15:53
Fair play. I respect your view as I am sure you respect mine.

Lets all hold hands and dance around the fire...

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 15:53

I'm sorry Edwards was not better than OHara today in my opinion.

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 15:54

I'm ready when you are?!:rolleyes:

SmokeyGB
12-02-2012, 16:03
Steve Morgan was not even at the game, he was on a pre-arranged holiday with his family.

I guess he saw 'HIS BELOVED LIVERPOOL' today had no meaning for him.

Tettenhall Wolf
12-02-2012, 16:15
I agree unreservedly with you Goldeneyed. Many out there will too.

We have left it late, but it is never too late to change things.

To use excuses like, the transfer window is closed, or Micks the best candidate to get us up again, is simply not on.

Right now I am less bothered even that there aren't many candidates out there. Those players are not being motivated an managed in the right way and that is clear for all to see on the pitch.

ENOUGH!

Edgmond Wolf
12-02-2012, 16:16
Steve Morgan was not even at the game, he was on a pre-arranged holiday with his family.

Jeapers not even at the game??

Ponty
12-02-2012, 16:20
I'm sorry Edwards was not better than OHara today in my opinion.

He made more tackles, closed down more, covered more ground...

Twice we had free kicks in promising positions in the first half. The first one O'Hara took short and tried to run between two players and lost the ball allowing WBA to break, the second he tried to be clever with a touch and the ball was blocked about a yard away. O'Hara thinks he's something special when the reality is that he's an ok lower PL midfielder who on a good day is slightly better, on a bad day a liability.

nobull
12-02-2012, 16:56
Excellent post - saved me typing it.

I said before the game we'd be mullered in midfield and we were.

I was amazed MM thought we could suddenly revert to 442 with two wide players who offer far more offensively than defensively.

It hasn't worked all season, unless you count 45 minutes against 10 men yet MM thinks he'll try it in the biggest game of the season.

Within 10 minutes it was clear we were being over-run but we persisted. After they scored I'd have happily taken 1-0 at ht and hoped we re-organised. The goal was wafer thin tissue paper over cracks like the Grand Canyon yet we came out unchanged, had about 3 minutes of reasonable play before the pattern of the first half rapidly returned. Still no change and by the time it got to 3-1 I don't know what he was thinking. No change, no urgency, no damage limitations. Clueless.

When we lost 6-0 at home to Southampton the score flattered them - today 5-1 flattered us. It could have been double figures.

My thoughts exactly. However there wasnt much on the bench!

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 16:57

You are joking?! Terrible if true. He should be here, especially for a game such as todays and the fact that we are in such trouble.

SmokeyGB
12-02-2012, 17:00
No the joker in the pack were Mick and Terry.

No he was not at the game, all that chanting outside the ground, just fell on deaf ears.

haden-wolf
12-02-2012, 17:08
The only positive I can take today is that our friends from Birmingham may have moved the longterm growth of Wolves on a little

Because make no mistake - The eyes of the press will now be on Steve and Jez even more than Mick
Before today they were strong in publicly backing Mick (maybe less behind closed doors) No action now suggests dithering ignorance or pig headed stupidity
I doubt either gentlemens ego will stand that

Staten Island Wolf
12-02-2012, 17:10

Just as well or he would have been in the changing room again

Ponty
12-02-2012, 17:12
My thoughts exactly. However there wasnt much on the bench!

Foley was excellent in CM last year, and currently would be no loss at RB. Jonnson is in the squad - if he doesn't feature when Henry and Frimpong are out - why? If he's one for the future and not good enough yet - get him out on loan. We also had the option of 451 with Milijas or Hunt. He thought we could push them back but despite the over-whelming evidence of 45 minutes changed nothing, so I don't think a weak bench is any excuse whatsoever!

Akaman
12-02-2012, 17:26

He's $$$$ing $$$$. Sprays the ball around? Yes, anywhere that there isn't a wolves shirt because he doesn't get his head up. He can't control the ball, can't pass, can't shoot. All he can do is run and occasionally that gets him into a position to make a tackle or a block. He is nowhere near good enough for this league and he's the epitome of what's wrong with McCarthy's team. Puts a shift in but zero quality.

JOSWolf
12-02-2012, 17:29
Foley was excellent in CM last year, and currently would be no loss at RB. Jonnson is in the squad - if he doesn't feature when Henry and Frimpong are out - why? If he's one for the future and not good enough yet - get him out on loan. We also had the option of 451 with Milijas or Hunt. He thought we could push them back but despite the over-whelming evidence of 45 minutes changed nothing, so I don't think a weak bench is any excuse whatsoever!

Why did we let Doherty go to Hibs? Their fans are raving about him and he could have played right back with Foley into midfield.

ginboomerang
12-02-2012, 17:29
He made more tackles, closed down more, covered more ground...

Twice we had free kicks in promising positions in the first half. The first one O'Hara took short and tried to run between two players and lost the ball allowing WBA to break, the second he tried to be clever with a touch and the ball was blocked about a yard away. O'Hara thinks he's something special when the reality is that he's an ok lower PL midfielder who on a good day is slightly better, on a bad day a liability.

Edwards wasn't tackling, he was chasing after the ball from his 'close control'

He is crap, but, probably necessary due to the type of football we attempt.

Big Saft Kid
12-02-2012, 17:33
The only positive I can take today is that our friends from Birmingham may have moved the longterm growth of Wolves on a little

Because make no mistake - The eyes of the press will now be on Steve and Jez even more than Mick
Before today they were strong in publicly backing Mick (maybe less behind closed doors) No action now suggests dithering ignorance or pig headed stupidity
I doubt either gentlemens ego will stand that

Indeed. As the final whistle went I turned to the missus and said 'Every cloud has a silver lining. The one good thing about this is it hastens McCarthy's departure and that can only be in the club's long term interest.

Wednesbury Wolf
12-02-2012, 17:43
I wonder if the strong rumour that Roger Johnson getting the captains armband destabilised the first team is true.

SmokeyGB
12-02-2012, 17:55
Maybe Steve stayed away just incase today did happen ????

Sharples
12-02-2012, 17:58

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

David Edwards is not a footballer, Ive never seen a midfield so uncomfortable in possession.

luckyjim
12-02-2012, 18:05

League 1 at best - his usual useless and ineffectual self. Anyone who thinks Edwards a genuine Prem player should probably be sectioned or arrested for consuming potent hallucinogenic drugs. Funnily enough, he reminds me of Simon out of the Inbetweeners - seems to possess an innate wimpiness. Much too nice for the big bad prem.

Metal Wolf89
12-02-2012, 18:12

Kumbaiya my lord.....

306NOTOUT
12-02-2012, 18:13
League 1 at best - his usual useless and ineffectual self. Anyone who thinks Edwards a genuine Prem player should probably be sectioned or arrested for consuming potent hallucinogenic drugs. Funnily enough, he reminds me of Simon out of the Inbetweeners - seems to possess an innate wimpiness. Much too nice for the big bad prem.

Fweend :D

haden-wolf
12-02-2012, 18:14
If what i heard second hand from someone at an ex sponsor of ours was true then it was only a matter of time two weeks ago - tick tock steve