PDA

View Full Version : Sad

MobNet Wolf
12-02-2012, 14:24
Yes, he has to go etc.

BUT, I feel sorry for Mick McCarthy the man. And I feel sad for the end of an era.

He always will be one of the good men of football. Completely honest, forthright.

While his time may be up at Wolves, he doesn't deserve bile, or hate.

bridgnorthwolf
12-02-2012, 14:25
Agreed 110%

SE10 Wolf
12-02-2012, 14:25
Yes, he has to go etc.

BUT, I feel sorry for Mick McCarthy the man. And I feel sad for the end of an era.

He always will be one of the good men of football. Completely honest, forthright.

I agree with this, he's done wonders..but time and tide etc...Thanks and goodbye.

wolf of sedgley
12-02-2012, 14:26
It is just quite unbelievable that the team has got so, so poor. He can't even get them to put in the effort anymore. I just hope that Terry Connor goes as well.

Hoganstolemywife
12-02-2012, 14:27
Agree entirely. It's such a shame that it's ending like this.

ice cream head
12-02-2012, 14:29
Agree with pretty much all of that. A big loss like today and the fact that we are so far behind a team like WBA is what most people are upset about. However, he can only do his best, unfortunately it isn't good enough but he always tries as hard as he can. Morgan needed to stop this months ago but chose to stick. Luckily there are still teams like Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn and qpr around so we aren't down yet but todays humiliation will take some coming back from.

Bathams n Scratchings
12-02-2012, 14:30
Couldn't have put it better myself MobNet.

Just leavin the Mol, it's kicking off outside the main entrance. Very Sad

Bathams n Scratchings
12-02-2012, 14:31
Yes, he has to go etc.

Couldn't have put it better myself MobNet.

Just leavin the Mol, it's kicking off outside the main entrance. Very Sad

North West Wanderer
12-02-2012, 14:31
He'll forever be Associated with that

freezin
12-02-2012, 14:37

+1

However there is no room for sentiment in football.

jrpb-3
12-02-2012, 14:39
regardless of whether we stay up or not this season, or not I think its become clear that Mick hasn't been able to make the improvements to move us on from relegation conternders. On the whole he's done a good job for us, but to move on we need someone better, when mick goes and I think it is when now rather than if we need to make sure we get the right replacement in. Mick is still a good manager and there's no point getting rid of him if we are not going to get someone better in. But lets remember everything good Mick done for the club not results like todays

hollo
12-02-2012, 14:41
several choices would be better than him. he's not good enough and what's more too loyal to average players.

albell
Yes, he has to go etc.

Agree 100%. He has been the best manager in my time following the Wolves and the manager I have most liked having in charge of us.

I've had many frustrations but for the first time he has lost my support. A sad day.

Bossworld
Yes, he has to go etc.

Agreed, he's done a lot for this club while he's been here, but after the initial two games of this season it's been terrible. I'm one of his biggest fans, I'm neutral on whether he should be sacked or not because I can't see it making a difference at this stage, but I can't see him lasting now we've been comprehensively shafted by our local rivals.

WolvesAreBoringOnCeefax
12-02-2012, 14:43
I think to some extent he's been the victim this season of Morgan not making enough cash available - that said we've spent ~40mill on players since promotion and not got that far with it. No matter what happens this season we'll be left in a much better position than when Mick took over but it does seem like his time has run out. Totally bereft of ideas today, why it took so long for any changes to be made I'll never know.

ccpnumber5
12-02-2012, 14:44
I love Mick and what he represents in the face of the shameless greed around us, and what he has achieved with us, but he is in serious danger of outliving his welcome with Wolves fans.

DJW
12-02-2012, 14:45
Yes, he has to go etc.

Absolute rubbish, he is a horrible example of a man. Arrogant, stubborn, clueless, wants to fight you if you disagree with him, has a cringeworthy sense of humour. He is an dinosaur in a modern game.

Tring Wolf
12-02-2012, 14:46

+1

Unfortunately for someone whose teams have given us some fantastic memories, it is such a shame for it to come to this.

Hoganstolemywife
12-02-2012, 14:49
HE as a man certainly does not deserve the vitriol he's receiving.

His team, however, probably do. Sigh.

A wanderer from Bristol
12-02-2012, 14:49
Hard to see a way back for him after today. He deserves our respect and thanks but I reluctantly have to agree that it's looking like he's reached the end of the line.

albell
12-02-2012, 14:50
Absolute rubbish, he is a horrible example of a man. Arrogant, stubborn, clueless, wants to fight you if you disagree with him, has a cringeworthy sense of humour. He is an dinosaur in a modern game.

Sorry mate but you are talking absolute rubbish. Yes, he's becoming increasingly unpopular amongst Wolves fans but he is one of the most respected and well liked men in football.

You/we are very much in the minority.

It's Mixu Paatelainen
12-02-2012, 14:50
Yes, he has to go etc.

Ever since the third goal went in, I've had this weird emotion in my gut, and I've been unable to articulate what it is until I read that post.

Hoganstolemywife
12-02-2012, 14:52
Ever since the third goal went in, I've had this weird emotion in my gut, and I've been unable to articulate what it is until I read that post.

+1

Part of me feels like crying. It's like ending a long relationship with somebody you truly loved in which the last 4 months were abusive and upsetting - but striving to remember the good times!

Sedgley Gold N Black
Yes, he has to go etc.

Summed iit up for me I've been one of MM's biggest fans even at half time I was backing him. But he has been well and truly shafted by Morgan.

harrywolf
The next manager doesn't have to be a good bloke, who is funny in front on the TV cameras and keeps the written media's notebooks full of good quotes. I'd settle for a right $$$$$$$ who will $$$$ off the Press but gets the team playing attractive winning football that will keep us in the PL for a long long time

DoomWolf
I agree totally with Mobnet. I really like Mick and his time as manager of Wolves has given us some of the best times this football club has seen in decades.

Unfortunately there comes a time when a manager is no longer right for a club and, as much as it pains me to say it, that time is now. Thanks for the good times Mick.

DJW
Sorry mate but you are talking absolute rubbish. Yes, he's becoming increasingly unpopular amongst Wolves fans but he is one of the most respected and well liked men in football.

You/we are very much in the minority.

I'm happy their.
Which one of those character traits listed, does not apply to Mick then.
The media love him for his 'giggle' value. None of them would want him to run their clubs, thats for sure!

Tarcisio Mifsud
12-02-2012, 14:57
It appears there is no other option but for him to show that he is a gentleman by offering his resignation. I do not put all the blame on him, but there are several other factors on this issue like:

Why did we need to start rebuilding Molineux, not even today it was not a full house as according to the published attendance there were less than 28,000 when a full house is just above 29,000. This rebuilding issue seems to bring back again what happened in the 80s. We put money on this venture but not on the players we required to keep us in the premiership. I think the Chairman and the CEO should take the blame on this matter.

I think our players do not train as much as the other teams. You could see the Albions players today running all the time - in defence - in the midfield - in the forward line - while ours take ages to go from box to box. Something is surely wrong or we do not use the correct substances.

We rested too much on loanees in the January transfer window, with the result that Frimpong has only played for a few games and now Bassong he just played one match and a half, once he was substituted we really fell apart today.

MonkeySpanner
12-02-2012, 14:58
It's embarassing now, Morgan should of pulled the plug months ago and given us a chance to get someone decent in.

Who are we going to get now? Bloody Steve Bruce? Not for me. I can't see any other thing to do than stick with McCarthy till the end of the season and believe me it pains me to say that as I thought he should of gone at the end of last season.

sc91
12-02-2012, 15:00
I have to agree, it's tearful that what has been my most enjoyable era has come to this, it'll tarnish the way i'll view him as a manager. Thanks for some of the great times, promotion was amazing and the first two seasons up bought some memorable days, but it's time to move on.

Lupo Italiano
12-02-2012, 15:00
He is a good bloke who has done great things for the club but today has to be the end of the line. I would rather he goes now while he still holds the best wishes of many Wolves fans than wait any longer because the hate and vitriol will grow out of all control.

I would prefer him to resign with dignity than be sacked in disgrace but whichever, I think he is past the point of no return.

I don't buy the one about Mick being the best man to bring up back up - I would rather we didn't go down in the first place and I don't think Mick will achieve that now. Another manager might.

Also if we go down, we can kiss goodbye to the likes of Hennessey and Fletcher.

Bankswolf II
12-02-2012, 15:06
For all the championship winning, staying up survival Sunday madness this season and this game will blight his career I have been a big supporter of Mick and have always placed the blame at Morgan for not supporting him but the team selection and tactics have ruined my opinion of him

If he doesn't walk it will only get worse today was a big lesson in how bad we are we deserve relegation after this, the players deserve the abuse as well in fact everyone deserves some retribution over this but the fans, yet we will be the only ones who suffer

Old Grey Wolf
12-02-2012, 15:52
I have followed Wolves for 50 years. This rates as one of the worst days.

What a contrast this thread is to the other main one on the 'McCarthy Must Go' theme. I can agree with a lot of what has been said. I like MIck. I like him as a man for his honesty and integrity, lacking so much in football generally. I like the fact that we are a club of integrity (compare to Liverpool). I don't want success at any price. Clearly there are many Wolves fans who do.

Mick has done a great job for this club. You just have to look back to the state we were in when he took over and see how far we have come.
BUT... there are problems for all to see. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say we are the worst football team in the division. We have other qualities of course but being able to play half decent football is not one of them. I would love to watch a team that can play a bit and have you thinking before the game, 'we have a chance here'. I don't feel that and haven't for a long while.

As for all the foul mouthed, foul minded crass individuals who vent their bile in such shameful terms, I just find it ironic that you call Mick stupid and yet so often can't even string a simple English sentence together.

Mugwump
12-02-2012, 18:39
He should have gone with some dignity at the end of December. I fear he won't get that chance after that performance to our biggest rivals. Good bloke but simply not good enough to manage us anymore.

Nero wolf
12-02-2012, 18:41
Turner all over.They reach their limit and it turns ugly towards the end.
The man to blame is Morgan..Mick is doing his best,it just ainīt good enough for Premier league.

Papper
12-02-2012, 18:48
It is a $$$$-baller to think that the Wolves could have progressed under Mick because the man is a brilliant man-manager. It's just a crying shame that he didn't upgrade his coaching staff to compliment the positives he gives to the club, because I felt Morgan would have splashed some cash had we been and looked a mid-table team. Today is awful, Mick doesn't deserve that result on his CV, but unfortunately the writing has been on the wall.

A $$$$ day to be a Wolves fan. One of the worst in my memory.

sedgwolf1980
12-02-2012, 18:51
Gladys Knight and the pips - Neither one of us - YouTube

haden-wolf
12-02-2012, 19:00
Today won't tarnish my view of Mick - I'll remember the good work and what he's done for us.
If anything this season is the one I feel the honeymoon with our owner may come to an end
Sadly it's how he deals with letting go of my favorite wolves manager that will be the telling factor

Arcadius
12-02-2012, 19:05
Well said Mobnet! We will always be grateful for what MM has achieved! Sadly I dont think he can take us any further!

Golden Arrow
12-02-2012, 19:10

DJW, sentiments are running high at the moment, and we're all upset and frustrated at what took place on the field of play today.

To use the description "horrible" does not offer the man any respect whatsoever, and yes he may have his shortcomings, but lets try and keep this in perspective please.

arctic rime
12-02-2012, 19:16
horrible he isnt , sadly he is a tactical dinosaur.

306NOTOUT
12-02-2012, 19:16
He's like a girlfriend you have booked an holiday with but wished you hadn't as it would have been easier to have got a late deal

Still Proud
12-02-2012, 20:32
I have a real problem in that I really like Mick and for what he has achieved but we're not progressing and this season has been very painful.

I would prefer it if he left with dignity and gave someone else a shot. It's with a heavy heart I type this.

Btw I detest those who sang "You're getting sacked in the morning" I told more than one in the North Bank to go join the $$$$ fans.

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 20:34
You all know my feelings about him and I have made this point over and over again.

However, after today, he is starting to negate everything he has achieved. And perhaps the longer he stays, the more he will continue to do that.

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 20:34
horrible he isnt , sadly he is a tactical dinosaur.

So was Warnock, and Hughes has improved QPR immensly hasnt he?

Tring Wolf
12-02-2012, 20:36
Great thread guys. Expresses my thoughts and feelings in a far more articulate and succinct way than I have been able to on other threads!

brummywolf
12-02-2012, 20:37
I have a real problem in that I really like Mick and for what he has achieved but we're not progressing and this season has been very painful.

I would prefer it if he left with dignity and gave someone else a shot. It's with a heavy heart I type this.

Exactly how I feel. No matter how painful today was (and the past few months), I won't let it detract from what has been my best years as a Wolves fan. It's sad its having to end like this. The vitriol being spouted at Mick is a disgrace - these same fans will be the ones giving him an ovation when he returns to Molineux with another club in the future. And I wouldn't blame him one bit if he turned round and gave them the finger.

It's time for him to go but its very sad to see how this is ending.

Bull Army
12-02-2012, 20:39
If Mick resigns, in the next 2 weeks - respect
If he doesn't and just hangs around for the inevitable - no respect.

Tring Wolf
12-02-2012, 20:49
If Mick resigns, in the next 2 weeks - respect
If he doesn't and just hangs around for the inevitable - no respect.

I'm certain that Mick won't walk. And I don't think it's because of any pay-off but because he is a proud (and stubborn man) who won't want his final legacy at the club to be a 5-1 drubbing to our fiercest rivals.

He certainly wouldn't lose any of my respect or gratitude if he didn't resign - I just don't think it's in the character of the man. I just think that if anything is going to happen, it will be Morgan who has to pull the trigger.

KiwiWolf
12-02-2012, 20:51
As for all the foul mouthed, foul minded crass individuals who vent their bile in such shameful terms, I just find it ironic that you call Mick stupid and yet so often can't even string a simple English sentence together.

Well said mate. Morons to a man.

A wanderer from Bristol
12-02-2012, 20:56
I have followed Wolves for 50 years. This rates as one of the worst days.

What a contrast this thread is to the other main one on the 'McCarthy Must Go' theme. I can agree with a lot of what has been said. I like MIck. I like him as a man for his honesty and integrity, lacking so much in football generally. I like the fact that we are a club of integrity (compare to Liverpool). I don't want success at any price. Clearly there are many Wolves fans who do.

Mick has done a great job for this club. You just have to look back to the state we were in when he took over and see how far we have come.
BUT... there are problems for all to see. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say we are the worst football team in the division. We have other qualities of course but being able to play half decent football is not one of them. I would love to watch a team that can play a bit and have you thinking before the game, 'we have a chance here'. I don't feel that and haven't for a long while.

Great first post. I agree with every word. A lot of respect is due to Mick and always has been. It is sad that he seems to have hit a brick wall, and his team seem badly in need of new ideas, new confidence and, sadly, a new man at the helm.

Saltyjim
12-02-2012, 21:00
I'd love nothing more than for Mick to turn it round, but the sad fact is I don't think he can. The performances have gone backwards this season and today was the lowest point(so far). Still haven't heard many viable alternatives though.

johnybig32
12-02-2012, 21:01
Thats how I feel after today Salty. DOnt see a turning point.

arctic rime
12-02-2012, 21:01
Exactly how I feel. No matter how painful today was (and the past few months), I won't let it detract from what has been my best years as a Wolves fan. It's sad its having to end like this. The vitriol being spouted at Mick is a disgrace - these same fans will be the ones giving him an ovation when he returns to Molineux with another club in the future. And I wouldn't blame him one bit if he turned round and gave them the finger.

It's time for him to go but its very sad to see how this is ending.

Weve had the finger a few times already ! :mad:

we love jez moxey
12-02-2012, 22:08
It appears there is no other option but for him to show that he is a gentleman by offering his resignation. I do not put all the blame on him, but there are several other factors on this issue like:

Why did we need to start rebuilding Molineux, not even today it was not a full house as according to the published attendance there were less than 28,000 when a full house is just above 29,000. This rebuilding issue seems to bring back again what happened in the 80s. We put money on this venture but not on the players we required to keep us in the premiership. I think the Chairman and the CEO should take the blame on this matter.

I think our players do not train as much as the other teams. You could see the Albions players today running all the time - in defence - in the midfield - in the forward line - while ours take ages to go from box to box. Something is surely wrong or we do not use the correct substances.

We rested too much on loanees in the January transfer window, with the result that Frimpong has only played for a few games and now Bassong he just played one match and a half, once he was substituted we really fell apart today.
It was a sell out mate. todays attendance is the most we can fit in at the moment. Goes upto 31k next year.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, only a tiny percentage were unhappy with the rebuild, now things are going wrong we're all suddenly experts on football economics, and "apparantly"knew better from the start. There are so many hypocrites amongst us its embarrasing.

As for Mick, I really like the bloke. I really feel for him tonight, everyone around the ground before the game were pleasantly surprised at the team, and it really seemed we were going for it. I think the players really let him down today, and because of it I expect him to lose the job tomorrow. If he does, I have nothing but gratitude for a man who dragged us out of the gutter.