PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Piece of Wolves....

johnybig32
10-02-2012, 17:14
Not entirely a nice subject, but whilst at my Aunties Funeral in Sheffield yesterday, the whole wedding theme was WWFC based, flowers, colours, everything.

She loved WWFC and it was her life, she travelled down to games whenever possible.

Anyway, it was raisedt that she has had a knitted WWFC scarf for 50 years and she still wore it to her very last game.

Upon reflection, this is quite remarkable.

Got me thinking, What is your oldest piece of WWFC? No matter what it is...

OoohRobbieRobbie
10-02-2012, 17:19
That is remarkable. Sorry to hear that news, a lady from my own heart! Hope the lads do her proud on Sunday!

My Dad has the old newspaper cutting after the game where we played Honved, (The games that started the idea for the European Cup) 'Champions of Europe' I think it says, haven't seen it for a while. I've got the vast majority of shirts I've been given/bought since I started going in the early 90's, plus scarf's etc.

Edgmond Wolf
10-02-2012, 17:26
Sorry to hear your news but what an Auntie

johnybig32
10-02-2012, 17:29
All she ever wanted to talk about was WWFC. Even in her last days.

Netherton Wolf
10-02-2012, 17:35
I also have a Wolves scarf my dad bought me in the late 60's, I still wear it to every match.

WV10Wolf
10-02-2012, 17:44
I've got a home programme from the 1963/1964 season from the Bolton match. I also have a scarf that was my dads from when he was a kid. It's a universtiy type scarf. Gold with two black stripes in the centre running the length of the scarf. I think it's from the late 60s early 70s. I wore it up until the 2009/2010 season.

Burton Wolf
10-02-2012, 17:51
I have several old programmes that I've come across over the years. However my own personal possessions are two scarves one silk, remember them? The other Dee Wolf still wears to the match. Both from the 70's.

Jonzy54
10-02-2012, 17:52
My dad won a half time draw prize in 1939 .His prize was a set of signed photographs of the 1939 FA Cup Final side.After 73 years they are still in their original envelope and are in magnificent pristine condition-my pride and joy.

DEVIZESWOLVES
10-02-2012, 17:52
I have an old badge from the 70's, also a programme from my Dads fist match against Grimsby from the 48/49 season, at the time he couldn't get one but after a lot of searching I managed to find one a few months before he passed away. Got the Honved one too.

wolf97
10-02-2012, 18:00
My grandad had a programme for his first match as an eight-year-old against Charlton on 15 April 1939, we won 3-1 (seven months later he was evacuated). He kept it until he died in 1997 and now my old man keeps it on the bookshelf. And yes, we have the Honved one. He was 23 then.

Ponty
10-02-2012, 18:02
I have have a scarf from the late '70's that sees the light of day occasionally. It's one where the stripes run the length of the scarf - I believe they're back in fashion so I'll dig it out for Sunday!!:D

Berlin Wolf
10-02-2012, 18:12
You Auntie must have been great to have around, Johny.

I have a few old items from my dad. The 1949 FA Cup Semi-Final Programme at Hillsborough, some of the famous floodlit 50s programmes, and an early 60s old gold Wolverhampton Wanderers badge with the town crest come to mind.

Like Burton, I have a couple of silk scarves from the 70s, a large 74 L C Final rosette that my sister wore, plus a big Union Jack Wolves flag I took to Wembley. Stuff like that.

johnybig32
10-02-2012, 18:14
She was married to a Leeds fan, and had a son who was a Wednesday Fan!

Still, all WWFC stuff in her house though!

Stairway to heaven...

Rhoswolf
10-02-2012, 19:16
Used to have a copy of the pink from the 49 FA cup final, think one of the kids may have nicked it!!! Lot of programmes from the 50's and early 60's.

SimplyTheWolves
10-02-2012, 19:24
Sorry to hear this sad news johnybig32, god bless her.

Without sounding impolite I hope your OK mate, and lets hope the lads put in a performance on Sunday that your Auntie will be proud of.

Wolves forever.

As far as your question is concerned I have one which may not be my oldest but my most prized. It's a programme signed by Stan Cullis from one of his visits to Molineux in the 1992 season, it's not worth more than a couple of quid I know, but to me it's absolutely priceless.

It was a lucky meeting when he was coming out of the then John Ireland stand. It was quite a time after the match had finished and I saw him leave being accompanied to a car by his daughter, or at least I presumed it was his daughter, she asked me to please leave him alone as he wasn't in the best of health at the time. So I gladly said that's fine and started to walk away, then just as I started to walk away Stan himself said no come back, Iíll sign it for you, and he did with pleasure.

Even then he still had Wolves in his heart, and I could tell the club still meant so much to him. Like I say it's not the oldest thing I have, but I am so proud to have met him, and honoured to have his signature.

Without going into the loft johnybig32 I cant really say just what my oldest item is, but everything to me that I do have regarding Wolves is special.

Burton Wolf
10-02-2012, 19:30

Without sounding impolite I hope your OK mate, and lets hope the lads put in a performance on Sunday that your Auntie will be proud of.

Wolves forever.

As far as your question is concerned I have one which may not be my oldest but my most prized. It's a programme signed by Stan Cullis from one of his visits to Molineux in the 1992 season, it's not worth more than a couple of quid I know, but to me it's absolutely priceless.

It was a lucky meeting when he was coming out of the then John Ireland stand. It was quite a time after the match had finished and I saw him leave being accompanied to a car by his daughter, or at least I presumed it was his daughter, she asked me to please leave him alone as he wasn't in the best of health at the time. So I gladly said that's fine and started to walk away, then just as I started to walk away Stan himself said no come back, Iíll sign it for you, and he did with pleasure.

Even then he still had Wolves in his heart, and I could tell the club still meant so much to him. Like I say it's not the oldest thing I have, but I am so proud to have met him, and honoured to have his signature.

Without going into the loft johnybig32 I cant really say just what my oldest item is, but everything to me that I do have regarding Wolves is special.

Lovely story that is. Enjoyed reading it.

Rhoswolf
10-02-2012, 19:33
Also have a Fulham v Wolves programme autographed by Johnny Haynes & Peter Broadbent.

Adrian_Monk
10-02-2012, 19:47
My 1974 league cup final scarf, which has been worn at almost every game since I started going.

Tring Wolf
10-02-2012, 19:50
Sorry to hear about your loss Johnny. Your Auntie sounds like a great lady.

My Dad collected all the home programmes from the mid 60's through to the early 90's. Some great games in there, especially the European nights at Molineux.

My oldest Wolves possession is the signed football I won in the half-time draw of a home game in 1988. Only being 8 at the time, I spent much of the next year kicking it round the school playground so it isn't in the best condition now. Can still clearly make out Bully and Mutchy's signatures though.

Whilst it's not very old, my 18-month old son (well, his Mother really) bought me a personalised scrapbook of Wolves newspaper reports for Christmas last year. The reports date from 1908 to last season and are a great way to read about the times when we ruled England and Europe.

Really enjoyed your Stan Cullis story SimplyTheWolves. Excellent stuff.

Edgmond Wolf
10-02-2012, 20:09
I have a programme from the year of my birth

Yep that's ancient

StefanWolves
10-02-2012, 20:15
Lovely story that is. Enjoyed reading it.

+1

Some good stories in this thread, also sorry to hear about your auntie Johny - rip.

Hollywood_wolf
10-02-2012, 20:17
1921 newspaper after the 1-0 FA cop final defeat to Spurs.

1939 & 1949 pinks

Player profile book and FA cup final ticket from 49

1960 FAC cup final program and Ticket

Then I was born, and I blame myself for everything ever since!

OoohRobbieRobbie
10-02-2012, 20:26

Wolves forever.

Brilliant. You're a lucky man to have had the privilege of that encounter and to tell that story. What a possession to have!

Burton Wolf
10-02-2012, 20:40
My 1974 league cup final scarf, which has been worn at almost every game since I started going.

Was that your first ever game Adrian? Or did you go in the nude prior to that?

SimplyTheWolves
10-02-2012, 20:59
Brilliant. You're a lucky man to have had the privilege of that encounter and to tell that story. What a possession to have!

Lucky is an understatement OoohRobbieRobbie, it's an absolute privilege. Possessions can be taken away, but memories such as this can't.

kennyB
10-02-2012, 21:05
Several programmes from games I went to in the mid-1940s + 1949 & 1960 "Pinks".
Also have an away programme v. Man. Utd. signed by Broadbent, Hancocks & Mullen somewhere, 1950s I think. All my stuff in a box in the spare bedroom, can't be bothered to get up and access it just now.

Berlin Wolf
10-02-2012, 21:11
Lucky is an understatement OoohRobbieRobbie, it's an absolute privilege. Possessions can be taken away, but memories such as this can't.

That was a lovely story, STW.

Gloster_Wolf
10-02-2012, 21:29
Great stories. :top:

The oldest thing I own is a post card of the 1908 FA cup winning side.

crasm98
10-02-2012, 21:43
Not entirely a nice subject, but whilst at my Aunties Funeral in Sheffield yesterday, the whole wedding theme was WWFC based, flowers, colours, everything.

She loved WWFC and it was her life, she travelled down to games whenever possible.

Anyway, it was raisedt that she has had a knitted WWFC scarf for 50 years and she still wore it to her very last game.

Upon reflection, this is quite remarkable.

Got me thinking, What is your oldest piece of WWFC? No matter what it is...

Our aunt was a great person and will always remain wolves through and through. Even in heaven

johnybig32
10-02-2012, 21:52
Well said Bro...

crasm98
10-02-2012, 22:03
Always full of good views me

Wolvesthrunthru
10-02-2012, 22:22
Pinks from 49 and 60 cup finals handed down from late dad and grandad. Not actually 'pink' but gold paper

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk

Ponty
10-02-2012, 22:27
I have a programme from the year of my birth

You learn something every day - I never knew Papyrus programmes existed!:D

QB Wolf
11-02-2012, 08:48
I have the ball that was used in the first match Wolves ever played in 1877, if anyone would like it they can buy it for £3000.

It's a Nike one!!

SmokeyGB
11-02-2012, 09:33
I have numerous programes from 60's and the home home ufea cup.final programme against spurs.
but my oldest football thing I have is my Grandads Scottish cup final ticket replay ticket stub to 1938 East Fide v Kilmarnock (family from fife) and rosette, just had it valve by sports auction company and said its worth minimum £500 cause in good conditions.

Henry Palfrey
11-02-2012, 10:33
Sir Edward Elgar - Land of Hope and Glory & Enigma Variations: Nimrod. Sir Simon Rattle. - YouTube

It's old and it's Wolves related.

Come on me babbies!

Essex Wolf
11-02-2012, 10:36
I have an FA Cup final programme from the 1960 game V's Blackburn.

As for your Aunt Johny, sounds a truly great person.

itsmee
11-02-2012, 13:00
I guess programmes from the Honved floodlit game ad that era of international club friendlies, from my dad

johnnybetchas
11-02-2012, 13:42

I've got one of them somewhere - is it a silky thing?

N. Herts Wolf
11-02-2012, 15:06
That is remarkable. Sorry to hear that news, a lady from my own heart! Hope the lads do her proud on Sunday!

My Dad has the old newspaper cutting after the game where we played Honved, (The games that started the idea for the European Cup) 'Champions of Europe' I think it says, haven't seen it for a while. I've got the vast majority of shirts I've been given/bought since I started going in the early 90's, plus scarf's etc.

Big Nosed Wolf
11-02-2012, 15:16
I have a menu from a civic banquet at the Civic from 1949. Stan Cullis cut out figure in playing kit on front cover Billy Wright on the back cover. A piece of text from it;

This banquet is in honour of Stanley Cullis and Billy Wright and is a spontaneous gesture by supporters of the famous Wolves club in recognition of their appointments as captain of their club and country.

It was given to me by my late Grandmother (b 1895) who used to work for the Town Clerk I (Brock) Allon.

I also have some film (on a hard drive) of Wolves playing at Preston in 1904. Both goalkeepers were sporting cloth caps:cool:

Vietnam Wolf
11-02-2012, 15:36
I've got a menu from a European restaurant during the UEFA Cup run of 1972 - can't remember who gave it to me now - all the players signed it. Got it on the wall framed next to the picture of me beside Bully when we were both young men [albeit him a few years younger than me].

Zakalwe
11-02-2012, 17:06
Oldest thing I have is my Grandad's ticket to the 1939 FA Cup final.

Westport Wolf
12-02-2012, 00:31
My dad has a lot of the 1950's programmes. A good few from the 60's and 70's. I think he might have one or two 1940's programmes too. When we played Honved in 1993 to open the 'new' Molineux, the bloke that used to sit next to my dad in the 'John Ireland' turned up the the home match the preceeding week and said to my dad, "Do you think they'll let me in if I turn up with this on the turnstile?" and he pulled out an original ticket from the 1950's match in mint condition.

Vietnam Wolf
12-02-2012, 01:19
I've got every single Wolves home programme from 1973 to about 1998ish apart from the last game of the 1983 / 84 season against Leicester [when we were relegated from the 1st Div]. Takes up a lot of space and there's some real history in those pages - particularly the seasons during the 'dark days' when the Speedway Team printers were used for some games and in some cases one programme covered two games.

Big Saft Kid
12-02-2012, 12:22
Programme and ticket stub from 49 final, and pink from that day (and same for 1960). Used to have a postcard with the 1908 cup winning team on, but lost it/ had it nicked.

dingle01902
12-02-2012, 12:30
Im sorry for your loss.

Strangely this thread has brought me to realise something about myself. It isnt at all spectacular or even strange, but I still have, hanging in my 'casual' wardrobe, every Wolves shirt I have ever owned. My first one was only the tyre tread one so were not talking antiques but I seem to be unable to have ever thrown them out. 20 years of growing up (36 now), numerous house moves, marriage divorce, 2 child births, and most of them no longer fit but still they hang pride of place in my wardrobe on the best hangers I have.

A piece of my history that I'm not prepared to let go of.

Vietnam Wolf
12-02-2012, 12:36
Im sorry for your loss.

Strangely this thread has brought me to realise something about myself. It isnt at all spectacular or even strange, but I still have, hanging in my 'casual' wardrobe, every Wolves shirt I have ever owned. My first one was only the tyre tread one so were not talking antiques but I seem to be unable to have ever thrown them out. 20 years of growing up (36 now), numerous house moves, marriage divorce, 2 child births, and most of them no longer fit but still they hang pride of place in my wardrobe on the best hangers I have.

A piece of my history that I'm not prepared to let go of.

I've got loads of thos like you - but what really annoys me is that I threw away the very first Wolves shirt I bought in about 1978 when no-one used to buy them. I got my mum to sew a No. 7 on the back [Kenny Hibbitt] and used to wear it almost constantly - lucky shirt for A Level exams lucky shirt for Finals - eventually I got too fat for it and threw it away but I wish I hadn't.

It had the WW and the three leaping wolves on - umbro loggos all down the sleeves- would probably be almost unique today ... still got a couple of pics of myself wearing it - with the Rob Plant hair to match !!!

manc_wolf
12-02-2012, 12:58
My Dad kept the programme from his first ever game in the late 1940's, he even wrote in it with my Grandad, team news and stuff, which probably makes it unsaleable (not that I would sell it) - but the personal, sentimental value if you like, to me is unbelievable. Especially since I have lost both of them since - I can almost see them together writing on the programme together before the match....

Sorry for your loss JB - your Aunty sounds like a true fan