PDA

View Full Version : Paul Merson...

Sedgley Gold N Black
09-02-2012, 21:50
I don't know if any of you have read his blog on the SSN website, sorry haven't got a link as I read it through the app, anyway he talks about Harry being the only candidate but the at the end came out with this;

"My other choice would be Glenn Hoddle. If Glenn hadn't said what he said those years ago then he would still be the manager today."

Unbelievable Jeff, did Paul miss his spell as Wolves boss or something, he is probably the only person worse than Capello for the England job.

I think Every English wolves fan would cry!

wolf97
09-02-2012, 21:52
Didn't he get convicted of drink-driving or something this week? :confused:

StefanWolves
09-02-2012, 21:52
http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,15205_7499744,00.html

JOSWolf
09-02-2012, 21:53
I think a lot of the London media conveniently forget Hoddle's spell in charge of Wolves and how terrible he was.

wolf97
09-02-2012, 21:55
I agree with him actually. Spot on.

Golden_Wolf
09-02-2012, 21:55
Regardless of what he did while at us...Hoddle's actual coaching and tactical knowledge of the game is superb.

He tried to implement a style that would simply not work with the players that we had at the time.

It's his persona off the field that is off putting but I suppose it's a telling sign that he hasn't had a job since us (I might be wrong). I know he has an academy team out in spain that helps youngsters who've been released by top clubs.

He'd probably makes a better coach than a manager because I don't believe he has the right man-management skills (ala Redknapp) that would make him a great manager.

Same with McClaren. Great coaching ability...crap manager.

Chungster
09-02-2012, 22:32
I think a lot of the London media conveniently forget Hoddle's spell in charge of Wolves and how terrible he was.

I think a lot of Wolves fans conveniently forget how good an England manager he was.

QB Wolf
10-02-2012, 00:05
I think a lot of Wolves fans conveniently forget how good an England manager he was.

That's because they were induced into a coma by Hoddle's turgid dross

WolvesAreBoringOnCeefax
10-02-2012, 00:10
Had he been at Wolves in the Prem it'd have been noticed by a lot more people. Resigning on the same day England got knocked out of another tournament on pens following Rooney's stamp meant it went totally under the radar - it shouldn't, but it has.

Adrian_Monk
10-02-2012, 01:42
Hoddles record in the transfer market has always been dreadful. He seems to lack the ability to both find and get the best out of players within a system. The players he inherits are usually complimentary about his coaching, but I think his footballing ideals and ultimately arrogance submerge his ability as a manager.

FLEET WOLF
10-02-2012, 07:46
Hoddles record in the transfer market has always been dreadful. He seems to lack the ability to both find and get the best out of players within a system. The players he inherits are usually complimentary about his coaching, but I think his footballing ideals and ultimately arrogance submerge his ability as a manager.

Sums him up well

Ralphdog
10-02-2012, 08:18
So Harry as Manager and Hoddle as Coach then. They can share the 6 million a year.

But I suppose egos at the FA would get in the way of that - not to mention the egos of Harry and Glenda.

wolfjc
10-02-2012, 09:02

yes, well said! he knows the game inside out and is very intelligent but his arrogance wouldn't settle with a lot of the players in today's game! Redknapp is probably the opposite in terms of his coaching ability but he is arguably one of the best for getting the best out of his players!

FRAZ-WOLF
10-02-2012, 10:08
People hated Hoddle but he was the only manager that got us playing football in the last 20 30 years?

Bull Army
10-02-2012, 12:25
Hoddle was a more than decent England manager. He won two games at WC98, and only got beat by Argentina thanks to Beckham's stupidity, and the usual penalty failings. It was only his comments about disabled people that got him the heave.

And in came Keegan...

Dewsburywolf
10-02-2012, 14:25
Hoddle's problem (IMHO) was that the players at Wolves weren't of a standard that he was used to being in charge of & has such he wasn't able to translate what he wanted them the tactics he wanted them to carry out. With better players I think he'd have been more successful (ie England) as these players were more tactically adept at following the instructions he wanted them to carry out

Burton Wolf
10-02-2012, 15:13
Never been a fan of Merson tbh. Reminds me too much of a cockney!

FLEET WOLF
10-02-2012, 15:55
Never been a fan of Merson tbh. Reminds me too much of a cockney!

He is always quite complimentary about us. However, he does contradict himself left right and centre. In the recent Swanse Chelsea game he was reporting on, he was saying it is all Chelsea and then 5 minutes later he was saying that it didn't look like they would ever score!

johnybig32
10-02-2012, 16:15
Doesnt Hoddle actually do a lot for football now?

He did try to instill a new philosophy of football here, without the players.

Tring Wolf
10-02-2012, 17:10
Said this (admittedly tongue in cheek) on another thread but Hoddle actually meets the criteria of what some of the 'Mick Out' posters have said they would be looking for in a new manager:

- His teams play a short passing, possession-based game.
- Tactically flexible rather than just sticking to a rigid 4-4-2.
- Able to incorporate flair players into his system.
- Knowledge and contacts in the European markets to expand our scouting network.

And yet McCarthy has been 10 times the manager for us than Hoddle was. Weird really. I guess that some managers are just a better fit for the ethos and culture of a club than others.

johnybig32
10-02-2012, 17:13
Hoddle was the wrong man at the wrong time.

SOme may argue he would do better for us now instead of MM. And he may well do funnily enough. And you all know how much I like MM.

Tring Wolf
10-02-2012, 17:28
Hoddle was the wrong man at the wrong time.

SOme may argue he would do better for us now instead of MM. And he may well do funnily enough. And you all know how much I like MM.

Yeah, kinda where I was going too. And I'm also a big Mick fan.

Was thinking about Rodgers at Swansea. Presumably he tried imposing the same philosophy and coaching style at Reading as he did at Swansea but was sacked after less than a year. I guess timing is everything.

johnybig32
10-02-2012, 17:31
This Rogers/Swansea love in annoys me.

It was Martinez who is responsible IMO for Swansea now.

Rogers at Reading was not successful.

Dr Wolfenstein
10-02-2012, 18:52
Hoddle certainly has.

Golden_Wolf
10-02-2012, 19:49
Yeah, kinda where I was going too. And I'm also a big Mick fan.

Was thinking about Rodgers at Swansea. Presumably he tried imposing the same philosophy and coaching style at Reading as he did at Swansea but was sacked after less than a year. I guess timing is everything.

The style was already implemented by Martinez & carried on by Sousa (not as successfully mind) and Rogers did the smart thing and continued with it and just fine-tuned a few things.

Edgmond Wolf
10-02-2012, 20:39
Who is Paul Merson?

Yep I know him.

Lou Pine
11-02-2012, 10:04
Ah, Glenn Hoddle in charge of the England national team in the year that Britain is the proud host of the Paralympics...

I'm sure that the media will love that.

wolf97
11-02-2012, 10:13
This Rogers/Swansea love in annoys me.

It was Martinez who is responsible IMO for Swansea now.

Rogers at Reading was not successful.

Because his style of play didn't fit. If Rodgers came here he wouldn't be successful either; his style just doesn't fit the players we have.

Apocalypse Now
11-02-2012, 10:24
For once I agree with the uneducated drug-addicted alcoholic wife beating lowlife piece of cockney scum that is Merson.

Adrian_Monk
11-02-2012, 11:09
Nearly all Swanseas first team has been brought in by Rodgers. Swansea just recruited smartly- his style is not dissimilar to that that had already been successful at the club in previous years and the players responded after the more defensive Sousa. It didn't work at Reading because Reading were in decline and he was expected to change things quickly. He did a good job at Watford and is highly respected as an innovative coach.

Martinez may have laid the foundations but to dismiss Rodgers influence is barmy.