PDA

View Full Version : Get the kids hooked...

mrbiffolives
08-02-2012, 02:42
No, not on the marching powder, of course not! Following on from the Molineux ticket prices thread and a comment made by BlahBlah on the Small Heath thread, I was thinking about prices for children at Wolves.

As corny as it sounds, children are the future. Now I could go way off-topic here but as interesting as that would surely be, I'll keep it Wolves related. If Wolves want to keep Molineux nice and full for the next 50 years, regardless of performance, economics, when the Sky money disappears etc. etc. then they need to get the youngsters through the gates now and get them hooked on Wolves. Some may say that's unlikely with our current playing style but to me that's irrelevant - if the parent is off to watch Wolves regardless then the children will follow - what else are they going to do on a Saturday afternoon?

I thus boldly suggest a flat rate for all children from say 6 to 17 (free for under 6's). No category A or B matches, just one price for all. And it would be cheap - perhaps in the region of just £5. The parents will still be paying full price, buying a KitKat or 3 at half time, buying the new shirt, etc. so I cannot imagine the losses would be too hideous to contemplate and most importantly, Wolves could get new supporters, hopefully for life. Plus if you get one kid in paying £15 or four kids in paying £5 which makes more for Wolves?

I know some people will think that a ground swarming with kids would be hellish - but the really young ones will be in the family enclosure and those teenagers you love to hate will be the bread and butter for Wolves in 5 years time... It would also have helped if they'd rebuilt the Steve Bull - which would potentially make room for an extended family enclosure but that's another story...

So get the kids hooked on Wolves and once they are 18 they can start paying 'proper' money - hopefully by that age they'll be so heavily invested in Wolves that they will want to continue to watch and thus pay. A buffer between 18 and 25 (like a Young Persons Railcard) would be an idea too, and then the same principle applies; at age 25, having watched Wolves for so many years the logical thing to do is to carry on - I have (when I can afford it).

A sensible adult ticket price, both for season tickets and walk-up tickets would make a structured approach to ticket prices in times where extra money is tight and the West Midlands is particularly feeling the pinch.

I haven't really considered the (probably numerous) counter-arguments, I've just bashed this out to get other views on it. All I know for sure is if I could watch Wolves for a fiver, I would.

SE10 Wolf
08-02-2012, 04:59
Agree with your sentiment, good post.

Edgmond Wolf
08-02-2012, 09:44
Good post mate.

My son has a season ticket and the one thing that they have introduced this season is the student ticket which hopefully they will keep going and then my young son can benefit from it.

They currently do I think its four matches for the kids when the prices are reduced but I do think it would be good to have a cheaper option for kids

Essex Wolf
08-02-2012, 09:57
Great idea and as you say they will want to but other Wolves related items so the club are on a win win in theory.

Tony
08-02-2012, 10:00
There is the family enclosure already.

Big Nosed Wolf
08-02-2012, 14:05
There were always plenty of kids at Molineux. Usually towards the front of the North Bank, South Bank and the old Waterloo Road Enclosure.Having loads of kids is a good thing in a properly balanced football ground.

Of course the prices need looking at seriously and sensibly. Fully agree with the suggested prices for kids up to 17.

Regarding the obscenity of categorising matches. That should be stopped for everyone.

The current hierachy don't fill me with much joy though. Morgan was drooling over the Emiratisation of Molineux recently and it seems to me there is a march towards corporate paradise.

The stalled development is a symptom of uncertainty and lack of confidence based on the misunderstanding by Morgan and Moxey of what is really needed or wanted.

The very expensive WV1 will not attract the numbers needed for the long term. No reason why this type of thing shouldn't be there but what is the club thinking re issues which would reduce costs to attend.
Things such as Safe Standing, walk up prices and abolishing the hideous circus of actually buying a ticket.

The club will only become a true football ground when a policy is in place to address ALL issues of watching Wolves.

There seems little evidence of a structured policy so far. The plans for the current redevelopment have turned out to be badly thought through it seems.

Macman
08-02-2012, 14:11
Excellent opening post. Agree entirely - I'm in the same boat - IF they charged a fiver for kids (regardless of game) it would entice ME to go more often. At the moment I have to pick and choose my games (4 for £40 or crappy cup matches in half empty ground) simply because of the expense of normal matches. It's the same across the country, but at least other clubs seem to have 'kids for a quid' schemes running.

I would also have expected Morgan to realise this. These kids are our future support.

Tony
08-02-2012, 14:34
You will need a bigger ground to accomodate all these kids. Where are they going to sit? :D

Mark Rankines Lovechild
08-02-2012, 16:37
For 2012/13 season the family enclosure ticket price for an under 12 is £23.00 and £80 for an under 17...thats not a bad price ok so the adult ticket is £410 but even so its pretty good value.

loopy lupine
08-02-2012, 16:59
For 2012/13 season the family enclosure ticket price for an under 12 is £23.00 and £80 for an under 17...thats not a bad price ok so the adult ticket is £410 but even so its pretty good value.

Exactly, so, even based on a premier league season of 19 home games, an under 17 is less than your £5 a ticket price (£4.20), an under 12 is £1.20 per game.
Based on Championship prices it becomes £3.47 and £1

If you factor in the adult cost as well... Premier League one adult and one child is £25.78 for U17, £22.78 U12.
Championship - £21.30 & £18.82

So, whilst the sentiment to offer cheap tickets is a good one, the club already offer it.

SimplyTheWolves
08-02-2012, 17:54
Excellent post mrbiffolives. I think the general consensus is that more needs to be done to attract more to the ground on a regular basis, the club do have a number of schemes going but as you say we need more youngsters through the gates now so we have a good solid fan base for the future.

A financial balance regarding profit and sustained support must be difficult to achieve for any club, but to me the balance is still aimed at a quick profit for the here and now, rather than encouraging youngsters and others to attend on a regular basis in the future. This can only be achieved if it's reasonably affordable for everyone.

What the secret of striking this balance is I don't know, but for us to grow as a club we have to find it in order for us to keep the fan base we have now, as well as build up on it for our clubs future. The potential is undoubtedly there, it just needs the right people to nurture it.

Tony
08-02-2012, 21:35
Kids aren't the be all and end all for the future of WWFC, adults are. It's the adults that the club need to attract first and the kids will follow. But like I said in a previous post where are you going to put all these kids you want to attract- are you going to dot them in the odd seats that may be left around the stadium because our crowds are pretty damn good at the moment !

TonySoprano
08-02-2012, 22:56
Exactly, so, even based on a premier league season of 19 home games, an under 17 is less than your £5 a ticket price (£4.20), an under 12 is £1.20 per game.
Based on Championship prices it becomes £3.47 and £1

If you factor in the adult cost as well... Premier League one adult and one child is £25.78 for U17, £22.78 U12.
Championship - £21.30 & £18.82

So, whilst the sentiment to offer cheap tickets is a good one, the club already offer it.

Yeah for 1500 kids if we say there is one adult to one kid in there, hardly any really.

Kids aren't the be all and end all for the future of WWFC, adults are. It's the adults that the club need to attract first and the kids will follow. But like I said in a previous post where are you going to put all these kids you want to attract- are you going to dot them in the odd seats that may be left around the stadium because our crowds are pretty damn good at the moment !

Our last games have been a 3pm local derby, a game against a big club which probably had loads of JCL Liverpool fans in our ends and a local derby which would be an embarrassment if we weren't to sell out, so lets have some perspective.

mrbiffolives
08-02-2012, 23:09
I was thinking quite long term here too, as in 20, 30, 40 plus years from now. So whilst adults are clearly the focus at present, children shouldn't be sidelined from Wolves' thoughts.

The season ticket for youngsters is actually good value, but I would point to the fact that an under 17 can pay up to £20 for a walk-up ticket which is clearly far too much. Should 'casual' younger fans be penalised like that?

I do also realise that Wolves is not a creche - but as said, get 'em whilst they're young.

JW
09-02-2012, 04:21
great post to be fair

Tony
09-02-2012, 06:48
Yeah for 1500 kids if we say there is one adult to one kid in there, hardly any really.

Our last games have been a 3pm local derby, a game against a big club which probably had loads of JCL Liverpool fans in our ends and a local derby which would be an embarrassment if we weren't to sell out, so lets have some perspective.
But our crowds aren't bad anyway besides the games you have quoted. Historically we have rarerly averaged crowds of 30,000+ in a season since the 1950's and that was even when tickets were dirt cheap compared to now!

wolfinstafford
09-02-2012, 07:49
My kids are hooked.
I've got one with a season ticket & the other would love to come the games every week. Between 3 of us (adults) we take a minimum of 4 kids every home game, sometimes it's as many as 6/7.
They all love it.

big-blue-wolf
09-02-2012, 10:43

My son has just turned 16 and hasn't wanted to go in the family enclosure since he was 12. He said the view is rubbish along with the fact that some fathers incessantly swear he thought he may as well watch from a higher viewpoint and still hear the swearing!

JR's Boots
09-02-2012, 10:53
My son has just turned 16 and hasn't wanted to go in the family enclosure since he was 12. He said the view is rubbish along with the fact that some fathers incessantly swear he thought he may as well watch from a higher viewpoint and still hear the swearing!

I'm in the same situation with a 16 year old that would prefer to transfer to the South Bank but I can't afford the increase. He's outgrown the family enclosure and wants to be more vocal. There needs to be more thought given to the whole issue of junior ticket pricing especially the cut off at 18. Seriously how many 18 year olds can afford the full adult prices?

reanswolf
09-02-2012, 11:23
I agree we need to attract adults back too. My worry is that the 'protected' early birders will gardually reduce in number anyway.

I would love to see Wolves not just offering good prices to kids whose parent/s happen togo to the match, but also entice the sheer thousands of kids who would love to go whose parents are not really that interested or financially able. School clubs etc coulc be run.

Big Nosed Wolf
09-02-2012, 14:23
I'm in the same situation with a 16 year old that would prefer to transfer to the South Bank but I can't afford the increase. He's outgrown the family enclosure and wants to be more vocal. There needs to be more thought given to the whole issue of junior ticket pricing especially the cut off at 18. Seriously how many 18 year olds can afford the full adult prices?

A safe standing South Bank is the answer JR.

Your sixteen year old is typical of what happens. With a sensibly prices home end he and others would 'graduate' to that end.

Football and the club just don't get it I don't think - or if they do get it they are reluctant to do anything about it as they want a 'certain' type of fan. Villa have already made a statement about Safe Standing. What has come out of Molineux? ' Comparable with the Emirates':eek:

In the early sixties it was made a condition of my attending Molineux that I stood on the old South Bank with family members. However, the North Bank was the place for younger fans then. I made the grade at age 12:D

Edgmond Wolf
09-02-2012, 14:28
A safe standing South Bank is the answer

Yes please

Bankswolf II
09-02-2012, 16:24
Look after the adults if the adults are happy to go the kids will follow

It is nice in a PR sense to do offers and such but if people continue to be without work and tickets continue to rise then they won't go despite any children offers wouldn't be worth it

SimplyTheWolves
09-02-2012, 17:55
Yes please

Edgmond your just being greedy, first a new video screen, and now a safe standing South Bank!

I suppose you’ll want padded seats with a two way communication system with the ref next?

Edgmond Wolf
09-02-2012, 18:11
Edgmond your just being greedy, first a new video screen, and now a safe standing South Bank!

I suppose you’ll want padded seats with a two way communication system with the ref next?

We don't need seats it's safe standing ;)
Would be nice to hear the ref and understand decisions just like they do in Rugby

Video screen first......:D

SimplyTheWolves
09-02-2012, 18:30
We don't need seats it's safe standing ;)
Would be nice to hear the ref and understand decisions just like they do in Rugby

Video screen first......:D

Sorry mate, I meant padded terracing.:D

Edgmond Wolf
09-02-2012, 19:01
Sorry mate, I meant padded terracing.:D

Padded cell more like :D

Mark Rankines Lovechild
09-02-2012, 19:14
[QUOTE=big-blue-wolf;1287294]My son has just turned 16 and hasn't wanted to go in the family enclosure since he was 12. He said the view is rubbish along with the fact that some fathers incessantly swear he thought he may as well watch from a higher viewpoint and still hear

That's just his personal choice. It doesn't alter the fact that your son is now hooked on Wolves, him vacating a seat will allow another child to hopefully become hooked on Wolves also......Wolves can, and do, offer very reasonable prices for kids.

Our neighbours son has just been, through school, to watch a United home game, ticket and coach £20......it would be good if Wolves offered this sort of deal through local schools. United are targeting kids in the West Midlands to broaden their fan base.....we should be doing the same.

SOUTHBANK_BULLY
09-02-2012, 20:27
[QUOTE=big-blue-wolf;1287294]

Our neighbours son has just been, through school, to watch a United home game, ticket and coach £20......it would be good if Wolves offered this sort of deal through local schools. United are targeting kids in the West Midlands to broaden their fan base.....we should be doing the same.

wolves do send tickets to schools in the wolverhampton borough , its upto the schools to distribute them properly

wolves feel that the £19 early bird match ticket price is good enough , i know this as ive heard it off the ticket office manager as for kids for £5 it would be easier to give kids a £23-£50 season ticket THROUGHOUT the ground not just the family enclosure with the adults getting a bit knocked off if they bring their kid/s to games , walsall do a season ticket for kids where they pay £40 for the ticket and the adult gets £2 for every game the child goes to

Space Wolf
09-02-2012, 21:36
My first season ticket was 2001-02 when I was 15. It was the first season they introduced the Rover ticket I believe. £69 for juniors. My paper round paid for it :)

No strings attached either. No adult ticket had to be purchased. Me and my mate got one and it got us hooked as we've had season tickets every season since.