PDA

View Full Version : Zubar

JOSWolf
06-02-2012, 15:40
With the gutting news of Frimpongs injury does anyone think it is worth
giving Zubar a go in the defensive midfield berth seeing as he played this role for one of his clubs in France?
This would allow Foley to remain at right back unless Mick brings Zubes back at right back and plays Foley in midfield.

Edgmond Wolf
06-02-2012, 15:46
Is Zubar fit yet??

Bully
06-02-2012, 15:46
I can see why many want Zubar in that position but not for me personally.

He has a different dynamic to Foley at RB in the way he bombs down the wing on his runs and his tracking back is so powerful in a way Foley doesnt. Id see him being wasted protecting the defence as his passing his hit and miss at times.. Id love to see him at Centre back though.

JOSWolf
06-02-2012, 15:48
Is Zubar fit yet??

He tweeted he was last week I think and was hoping to be in the squad going down to QPR.

Golden_Wolf
06-02-2012, 15:49
I can see why many want Zubar in that position but not for me personally.

He has a different dynamic to Foley at RB in the way he bombs down the wing on his runs and his tracking back is so powerful in a way Foley doesnt. Id see him being wasted protecting the defence as his passing his hit and miss at times.. Id love to see him at Centre back though.

This. Not sure of the CB thing & not something I'd want us to try out right now.

But if he's fit I'd stick him at RB & maybe push Foley into the "protector" role.

FRAZ-WOLF
06-02-2012, 15:54
He told me on facebook he is nearing fitness

Tettenhall Wolf
06-02-2012, 15:57
Interesting idea, but I think Foles has a better positional awareness and also has more control over staying in position than zubes. He'd be better at right back than centre midfield IMO. As long as it aint Stearman at right back if he moves Foles.

Its frustrating that whenever we get what we think might be a good team or formation for a few games, everything chances again.

Edgmond Wolf
06-02-2012, 16:02
He tweeted he was last week I think and was hoping to be in the squad going down to QPR.

Cheers mate

DJW
06-02-2012, 16:05
This. Not sure of the CB thing & not something I'd want us to try out right now.

But if he's fit I'd stick him at RB & maybe push Foley into the "protector" role.

The main reason i am thinking of him as a CB is because i am not convinced with Johnson, also think he may be a bad influence on team spirit.
Zubar and Bassong would be big, powerful, quick and commanding. Would need to see how he performed in training in this position ideally before committing.

SuperTigerWolf
06-02-2012, 16:06

Don't think Frimmy is a protector, he's much more dynamic than that

northnorfolkwolf
06-02-2012, 16:12
My 1st thought on Frimpong news is that it regretably opens the door to KH. I had hoped we could finish the season on a high with him not in the side and show MM that he does not have to be an automatick pick. As for Zubar - yes why not give him a go there - we need someone?

Sheriff Woody
06-02-2012, 16:22
He was very successful playing as a holding midfielder for Caen, ultimately it's his performances in that position that earned him his move to Marseille where they tried relatively unsuccessfully to convert him into a centre-back.

I like Zubar at right-back, he adds a dimension to us going forward that the likes of Stearman don't; however I think he could do the same from central midfield. Frimpong bought energy, drive, dynamism and enthusiasm to the midfield, all attributes that Zubar has in abundance.

Sharples
06-02-2012, 16:31
With the gutting news of Frimpongs injury does anyone think it is worth
giving Zubar a go in the defensive midfield berth seeing as he played this role for one of his clubs in France?
This would allow Foley to remain at right back unless Mick brings Zubes back at right back and plays Foley in midfield.

no

Uncle Festa
06-02-2012, 16:39
If you watch the way Zubar played the last few games he was fit, he was in effect a very very attacking right back come midfielder when we had the ball. There was an obvious ploy by McCarthy to get Zubar further up the field and exploit his power and athleticism in the other half. In fact Henry used to end up sitting and covering the holes whilst Zubar bombed on. It worked a treat but only because of the work Henry was doing off the ball to cover for him. So Zubar and Henry back in the fold for me as soon as they are available. IN fact I can't wait to see Zubar and Kightly together as it will let Kightly play more infield, make us a bit more compact centrally and let Zubar exploit the space down the wings.

XDevonwolf
06-02-2012, 16:49
He was very successful playing as a holding midfielder for Caen, ultimately it's his performances in that position that earned him his move to Marseille where they tried relatively unsuccessfully to convert him into a centre-back.

I like Zubar at right-back, he adds a dimension to us going forward that the likes of Stearman don't; however I think he could do the same from central midfield. Frimpong bought energy, drive, dynamism and enthusiasm to the midfield, all attributes that Zubar has in abundance.

Yes, Woody, Zubar played at defensive midfield for both Caen and Marseille and that's where he was most successful in his career.
It was only when Marseille played him at Centre back and Right Back that he made errors that caused him to become unpopular at Marseille and hence his move to Wolves.
So where have Wolves played him? Exactly.

It makes sense to me to play him at defensive midfield while Henry is unavailable, perhaps in front of Foley and by the side of O'Hara.

StefanWolves
06-02-2012, 16:54
How about

Henn

Stearman - Johnson - Bassong - Ward

Foley - Zubar

Kightly - Ohara - Jarvis

Fletcher

goldeneyed
06-02-2012, 16:57
It is too late in the season for experiments although I believe Zubar could be very dynamic as a defensive central midfielder. But Mick sees him only as a RB it seems and has about as much imagination on such matters as my aunt Mildred. Henry is locked in for ther rest of the season as is Edwards.

Coleshill Wolf
06-02-2012, 17:08
How about

Henn

Stearman - Johnson - Bassong - Ward

Foley - Zubar

Kightly - Ohara - Jarvis

Fletcher

No...... Stearman CANNOT play at Right back

Sharples
06-02-2012, 17:09
Zubar in a holding midfielder role?! The lad has the awareness of a double decker bus. I love his work ethic and his storming runs but if he was a holding midfielder we would be in big trouble.

Holding midfielders break up play, keep possesion and calm things down. Zubar would win it then go on an 80 yard run!! His distribution is hardly brilliant either.

Foley has a football brain which is why he can play in numerous positions.

StefanWolves
06-02-2012, 17:10
No...... Stearman CANNOT play at Right back

:D

Mick loves him playing their, you know it's gonna happen

haden-wolf
06-02-2012, 17:39
Suggested him on the bassong thread - This is a position Zubes has played before and as others have said has some useful qualitities, like Adi I'm not sure his game is 'holding' but could be a useful all action central defensive midfield - he can strike a ball too, though gutted Frimp is out could give zubes a chance

JOSWolf
06-02-2012, 17:45
no

So who would you play in the defensive midfield role against Albion?

SourCream&OnionUtd
06-02-2012, 18:02
If you watch the way Zubar played the last few games he was fit, he was in effect a very very attacking right back come midfielder when we had the ball. There was an obvious ploy by McCarthy to get Zubar further up the field and exploit his power and athleticism in the other half. In fact Henry used to end up sitting and covering the holes whilst Zubar bombed on. It worked a treat but only because of the work Henry was doing off the ball to cover for him. So Zubar and Henry back in the fold for me as soon as they are available. IN fact I can't wait to see Zubar and Kightly together as it will let Kightly play more infield, make us a bit more compact centrally and let Zubar exploit the space down the wings.

This. When fit (and hopefully stays fit), I only want to see Zubar at RB. We actually look like a proper, balanced attacking unit with him in the side. We can try him in other positions come July.

luckyjim
06-02-2012, 18:12
Zubar has pace, power and would be a physical presence in midfield. In short he's a much better bet than Karl Henry in this role as he would be show much more urgency in the counter-attacking role.

Ponty
06-02-2012, 18:14
Zubar's strength at RB is his attacking but he becomes a defensive liability. He'd be ok there with a more defensive minded right midfielder - like Foley 2 years ago - but with Kites in front we'd be ripped tp pieces defensively.

I'd play Foley in CM and toss a coin between Zubar and Stearman, and make sure Kites knows he has to help out at the back more than he did for the first Liverpool goal. I know the prospect of Stearman at RB isn't going to be popular but I'd do it to keep Henry on the bench.

hindheadwolves
06-02-2012, 18:21
The main reason i am thinking of him as a CB is because i am not convinced with Johnson, also think he may be a bad influence on team spirit.
Zubar and Bassong would be big, powerful, quick and commanding. Would need to see how he performed in training in this position ideally before committing.

Just had a chat with Mick and he is setting this up for you. Would 10.30 tomorrow morning be OK? Usual place.

OldWolvesfart
06-02-2012, 18:27
I agree totally with Zubar taking that role. As has already been said he played a season for Marseille in that role before they converted him to a centre and right defender. His best performances for them and Caen were in this role.
He makes forward runs he know how to mark and defend and he has played there before - why not.