PDA

View Full Version : The two biggest games in our season

Pengwern
05-02-2012, 15:26
No-one seems to have recognised what we are in the middle of.

its not about McCarthy but the relegation struggle.

By winning the 6-pointer against QPR we made the relegation struggle a 5 club issue rather than a 4 club one. If we can beat Albion, we get to within 2 points of them and make it into a 6 club struggle. They have terrible home form and winning away when you are in danger of relegation can become a real problem. Put those together and they are in the middle of it.

Similarly, QPR have a lousy run-in and we have dragged them into it, and Cap'n Rog has made them do without Djibril the mercurial mad man for 3 out of their 14 remaining games.

Get out of the detail and into the bigger picture, Mixers!

306NOTOUT
05-02-2012, 15:31
Yesterday Reminded me of Sunderland away last season.

At half time Mick knew it was $$$$ of bust time and has no choice but to go for it and it payed off.

Definitely thi if we win next week they at deep in it.

Big Mack
05-02-2012, 15:58

Have you not been reading this board for the last week? Everyone knew the importance of the win yesterday and everyone knows the importance next weekend.

Pengwern
05-02-2012, 16:23

Have you not been reading this board for the last week? Everyone knew the importance of the win yesterday and everyone knows the importance next weekend.

So sorry! Just that no-one has celebrated it as such.

What do you want me to do for penance?

WonderWolf
05-02-2012, 16:36
I feel we need to be careful here. Albion do not need to win this and even a loss would not be a major issue as they are several points ahead....they are better away so we should not be desperate and gung-ho about it.

A loss for us would be pretty bad....

StefanWolves
05-02-2012, 16:38
I feel we need to be careful here. Albion do not need to win this and even a loss would not be a major issue as they are several points ahead....they are better away so we should not be desperate and gung-ho about it.

Bang on. We can't become complacent just because we beat a 10 man QPR.

Burton Wolf
05-02-2012, 16:41
Bottom 6 all play each other next weekend! Some teams have to drop points. Let's hope it ain't us. Next weekend is going to have a massive bearing.

WonderWolf
05-02-2012, 16:42
Bang on. We can't become complacent just because we beat a 10 man QPR.

Precisely.

With our two main defensive midfielders out (Frimpong probably won't make it) we need to go 4-2-3-1 to start.

Rhoswolf
05-02-2012, 16:48

Agree, although a win for us brings them right back into it. Next 2 home games could define our season (remember thinking this back in December!). If we manage to win these 2 games, then even I may start to believe!

As a minimum, we need to ensure we don't lose, but therein lies the conundrum for MM. Yesterday we looked far, far better when adopting a more positive approach (even though they were down to 10) , but I think MM's instinct will be to resort to the cautious approach, time will tell!

AndyP
05-02-2012, 17:30
I would be very surprised if QPR are down there at the end of the season. They have a lot of quality and had they not gone down to 10 men yesterday would probably have given us a proper dicking!

Pengwern
05-02-2012, 17:48
QPR have got to play relegation rivals for the next few weeks while their new recruits gel, which will be difficult against teams with better team spirit. After that, their run-in sees them up against the top teams. so I think they will still be catchable at the end of the season. We have hauled ourselves level with them, which is an enormous achievement for the players and manager, given the state that we were in up to that game.