PDA

View Full Version : The Fiver

Wandsworth Wolf
02-02-2012, 16:06
I'm sure some of you receive the 'The Fiver', the daily football email from the Guardian. It's pretty funny and today's lead article made me laugh. Well, if you didn't laugh, you'd cry.

TAKING THE MICK?

Wolves owner Steve Morgan has watched his side crash out of the FA Cup to Birmingham, go 11 games without a win and even contrive to lose to Chelsea, and still managed to keep his opinions to himself. But on Tuesday night, something changed. First, Wolves let Andy Carroll capitalise on the split-second he wasn't thinking about his next night out to score a goal for Liverpool. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, they let Dirk Kuyt, confidence buoyed by a sharp-shooting zero league goals all season, help himself as well, two events that did little for Mick McCarthy's no-nonsense reputation.

Enough was enough and Morgan was in the home dressing room after the game to deliver a few home truths, with McCarthy left standing feebly by, the memories of Saipan suddenly washing all over him. McCarthy also received the dreaded vote of confidence from his captain Roger Johnson. "Changing the manager isn't going to change what the players do on the pitch," he said, something that would have been handy for McCarthy to have known when he spent 5.5m on the defender last summer.

Wiltshire Wolfie
02-02-2012, 16:23
Yes, one has to laugh at the moment, crying isn't an option..:-) Funny article. Sadly..!!

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 16:45
I'm sure some of you receive the 'The Fiver', the daily football email from the Guardian. It's pretty funny and today's lead article made me laugh. Well, if you didn't laugh, you'd cry.

TAKING THE MICK?

Wolves owner Steve Morgan has watched his side crash out of the FA Cup to Birmingham, go 11 games without a win and even contrive to lose to Chelsea, and still managed to keep his opinions to himself. But on Tuesday night, something changed. First, Wolves let Andy Carroll capitalise on the split-second he wasn't thinking about his next night out to score a goal for Liverpool. Then, as if that wasn't bad enough, they let Dirk Kuyt, confidence buoyed by a sharp-shooting zero league goals all season, help himself as well, two events that did little for Mick McCarthy's no-nonsense reputation.

Enough was enough and Morgan was in the home dressing room after the game to deliver a few home truths, with McCarthy left standing feebly by, the memories of Saipan suddenly washing all over him. McCarthy also received the dreaded vote of confidence from his captain Roger Johnson. "Changing the manager isn't going to change what the players do on the pitch," he said, something that would have been handy for McCarthy to have known when he spent 5.5m on the defender last summer.

Yes Rodge you really have delivered on the pitch!!!

A one legged Jody Craddock could have done better with a $$$$ing blind fold

FetishWolf
02-02-2012, 16:54
Laugh or cry I can't decide. Either way Mick can count himself seriously undermined.

Tettenhall Wolf
02-02-2012, 17:14
You have to laugh.

Sometimes we get very into every detail on a micro level on a forum like this.

Some contributors argue over this, but when you read that - a piece in an independent publication - it shows how bloody crazy our situation is, and how it looks to everyone else!

Thats why we vent our frustration, sadness, dewilderment, and anger in such a way.

Wandsworth Wolf
02-02-2012, 17:23
In fairness they take the pi** out of different clubs every single day - it's rarely us. Every club has got its own set of issues that fans get disheartened about.

Jonny De Wolf
02-02-2012, 17:30
Somewhat different angle to the piece that appeared in the hard copy of the paper covering the same story

Taffywolf
02-02-2012, 17:33
I think its great that morgan is not sitting quietly in the background, Its his business and he can probably now see that we are highly likely to go down costing him millions.

Hrothgar
02-02-2012, 18:09
maybe he was wound up by the alleged altercation with the fans as he was leaving the directors box?

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 18:11
maybe he was wound up by the alleged altercation with the fans as he was leaving the directors box?

This plus it was Liverpool plus some singing about where to stick his houses :D