PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Doors

Buddhawolf
02-02-2012, 08:50
Sunderland's resurgence since we beat them in Decemeber surely shows the error of our ways (in sticking with MM). Was that result a classic case of "winning the battle but losing the war". If we had lost (as we should have done), I believe MM wouldn't have lasted until Christmas. Would Bruce have been sacked? Would MON have been available to replace MM? "Sliding Doors" time.

Munro Munro
02-02-2012, 08:54
Sunderland's resurgence since we beat them in Decemeber surely shows the error of our ways (in sticking with MM). Was that result a classic case of "winning the battle but losing the war". If we had lost (as we should have done), I believe MM wouldn't have lasted until Christmas. Would Bruce have been sacked? Would MON have been available to replace MM? "Sliding Doors" time.

So if we then had got Oneil in would he have been able to attain the results that he has at sunderland with Wolves?.

big-blue-wolf
02-02-2012, 09:01
Don't forget Bruce was sacked before we played them and O'Neill was in the stands.

I think O'Neill would have made a difference to Wolves.

Mr Sizzle
02-02-2012, 09:02

Bruce had already been sacked and MON appointed the day before we best them.

Sharples
02-02-2012, 09:04

Its been said already, Bruce was already sacked. :stupido3:

Golden_Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:21

Bruce had already been sacked with MON hired (he was in the stands watching) numb nuts.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:27
Martin O Neil is without doubt a very good if not great manager. Take a look at where Villa were with him in charge and what happened when he left.

I have always liked him as a manager and have often thought he might end up at a big club.

That said we have a manager that put life back into our club, built a team of kids that won the Championship as Champions and for that I will be ever grateful to him. He made us a team to be proud of. He has also kept us up for two seasons and may well do it again this season, we still have 15 games left to turn our season around

Come on the Wolves

Oaky65
02-02-2012, 11:02
I think the difference is that sunderland have a lot of good premier league players who were underachieving where as our mostly championship players have been overachieving for the last couple of seasons

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 11:05
I think the difference is that sunderland have a lot of good premier league players who were underachieving where as our mostly championship players have been overachieving for the last couple of seasons

Absolutely and Sunderland spent a fortune buying those players

Polish Wolf
02-02-2012, 11:35

Do you remember O'Neill's Leicester side from 10+ years ago? Or his Celtic team beating sides packed with better players (including Liverpool) on a way to UEFA Cup final? Apart from Ashley Young (who I don't rate anyway) how much worse is current Villa squad than MON's one? And where were they under him and where are they now? A good manager is a good manager. I can see top half of the table for Sunderland this year and in the years to come. With us it would be at least comfortable safety.

Buddhawolf
02-02-2012, 11:44
My bad - of course he was!

Basic question still stands: could MON have done for us what he's done for Sunderland? The majority of our problems are a consequence of poor coaching and poor tactics, not a lack of decent players. Take a look at Swansea, Norwich, Newcastle and Stoke if you want evidence of what is achieveable with good coaching / tactics.

I genuinely believe the board made a strategic error when the stood by MM in December. The decisive action by Sunderland and QPR (plus lots of cash in the case of the latter) will keep them in the Prem

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 11:44
This needs merging with the Martin O Neal thread.....

Mods wheres a mod when you need one??

JOSWolf
02-02-2012, 12:45
Its frightening when you look where Sunderland were when we played and now look where they are in comparison to us. It just sums it all up really!

sc91
02-02-2012, 12:48
No doubt he is a talented manager, every side he has taken the reign of have become a success. Shame we couldn't get him to be honest.

Munro Munro
02-02-2012, 15:31

Spot on