PDA

View Full Version : Has our basic inability to compete in the prem broken the dream?

reanswolf
02-02-2012, 06:59
Sorry if it is another negative thread, but reading the anticiapted early bird sales is alarming.

I was thinking about the reasons, maybe it is obvious, but to me, when i had ST after ST, year in year out before having kids, we still had 18-25000 average most seasons as we "strove to realise the premiership dream", but always came up short.

I think there is a misconception that most Wolves fans think we have a divine right, but when you see so many similar and smaller clubs establishing themselves (WBA, Stoke, Fulham and especially north-west clubs like bolton, blackburn, wigan) it always seemed like a realistic thought.

We expected the first season or two to be absolute struggle, but just a little progress was expected this time round by most. Moxey's pure 'monetarism' approach, rather than a common-sense thinking assessment regards squad strength has prevailed, and we look poor.

Has the premiership experience shattered that ultimate belief of our fanbase? Has it become the "Impossible Dream"?

Dewsburywolf
02-02-2012, 07:20
Strangely enough Yorkshire Wolves lost a few members after the Play-Off winning season/first ever season in the top flight for eons. I think this was a combination of getting dicked every week plus the inevitable higher price of matchday tickets. It's also started happening again this season as well with the oft quoted "went last season" being used as justification also. Apathy maybe, recession (although I'd guess with most having families that's an excuse that could've been used at any time in the past) so I'm just not sure what reasons you can give for it

Woodsetton Wolf
02-02-2012, 07:25
Yes that's why alot say including myself we will have a better time in the championship, win more games, more honest football etc.
It gets me when people say "oh but we won't see man utd , Chelsea etc " I go to watch wolves and watch wolves win not some multi million pound team the majority of time we will lose too.

Dewsburywolf
02-02-2012, 07:29
It gets me when people say "oh but we won't see man utd , Chelsea etc " I go to watch wolves and watch wolves win not some multi million pound team the majority of time we will lose too.

Are you sure you're not me? :eek:

Does my $$$$ing nut in when folks use expressions like that. If you want to watch Rooney, Lampard, Silva etc then get a $$$$ing Season Ticket for Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge & be like all the other $$$$ing plastic "supporters" :mad:

Numpty
02-02-2012, 07:55
The Premiership is a league where you have to spend money . I heard on Talksport earlier them saying about Arsenal having a wage structure that is stopping them adding more players on 70K+ a week. So that is why they did not add any players to their squad. I can see similarities with Wolves, ( I know some people may laugh at that ) Arsenal are struggerling to get into the top 4 this season and are 7th in the league. We are down the bottom and struggerling to get out the bottom 4/5.
Yes teams throw silly money around and players are paid way to much . But in reality you get what you pay for . QPR for me will stay up and that is because they have spent money and got in a positive manager and better players. I just hope we stay up and then Morgan can look at our policy again ,because over the last couple of seasons it has failed so far for me.

IrchyWolf
02-02-2012, 07:59
Yes that's why alot say including myself we will have a better time in the championship, win more games, more honest football etc.
It gets me when people say "oh but we won't see man utd , Chelsea etc "" LOSE TO US

That's what the dream is really about and it has happened in the recent past, just not regularly enough. I still champion the dream. It's better than Championship fixtures like Peterborough or Barnsley away on a wet Tuesday night in January...

Rocky_Balllboa
02-02-2012, 08:00
The Championship is far more enjoyable

Numpty
02-02-2012, 08:07

In the Championship aren't we a smaller scale of Man City and Chelsea ?. We spend money on players and pay far more in wages than the lower half of the champ. The Premiership is boring because we are a small fish in a big pond rather than a big fish in a small pond in the Champ.

QB Wolf
02-02-2012, 08:12
I love us being in the prem, but I would rather us be relegated than the club spend more than it can afford. I would rather us be relegated than enter the realms of us paying 70k a week to players. The life and soul of football is being squeezed out of football by the money machine!!!

Numpty
02-02-2012, 08:21
I love us being in the prem, but I would rather us be relegated than the club spend more than it can afford. I would rather us be relegated than enter the realms of us paying 70k a week to players. The life and soul of football is being squeezed out of football by the money machine!!!

I don't agree that players should be earning 70K a week . But times move on in football and life . Look at energy prices and Petrol they go up and up . In the Championship we were paying alot more wages than I would say at least 80 percent of teams . So what I think is we sold out years ago to the greed didn't we?. Players such as Rae , John de wolf, Ince to name a few were on decent amounts of money . I think now that we are in the Prem ( a step up from the champ) what do/did we expect that paying 20/30K a week would move us forward. I would have thought a Chairman would have realised this for any team that has ambitions to move forward. I don't agree with the wages and fees but I know if I don't pay my energy bills that rise then I won't be getting any heating. If you are not prepared to spend money in the Prem you eventually get found out and survive a few seasons and then get relegated or just get relegated.

bod101
02-02-2012, 08:27
It's a sport, the aim is to be best. So I want to be in the top league and challenging. So as long as there is progress of some sort or at least the will to try and progress I am happy. However all I see over the last few years is a dampening of any expectation which slowly filters down through the fans who then slowly lose interest

Papper
02-02-2012, 08:46
Many need an oligarch to appease their dreams. If you wish to support a club that generates it's own revenues and is self sufficient then we won't do better than Morgan. Long term we will grow stronger than the rest in our mini-league, but in the short term we must stomach the trials and tribulations. I don't want my club spending money it hasn't got and getting into unmanageable debt.

Chiswick_Wolf
02-02-2012, 08:47
For all the negatives, the exposure you get in the Premier League compared with the Championship is ridiculous.

Sky regularly, Red Button highlights, MotD, full page spreads in national papers, headline news worldwide.

Golden_Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:20
In the Championship aren't we a smaller scale of Man City and Chelsea ?. We spend money on players and pay far more in wages than the lower half of the champ. The Premiership is boring because we are a small fish in a big pond rather than a big fish in a small pond in the Champ.

Well said.

But with that; I'd rather be in the Premiership than the Championship.

I really don't understand the fascination with wanting to be in the Championship. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Bull Army
02-02-2012, 10:46
The dream was there in the 90s. We got to the party a decade too late. We could have competed in the mid 90s, not for top 2, but certainly for mid-upper table. Too much money in the top flight now for us to make meaningful inroads. Even the UEFA Cup/Europa league is a dead duck these days.

ice cream head
02-02-2012, 10:52

Does my $$$$ing nut in when folks use expressions like that. If you want to watch Rooney, Lampard, Silva etc then get a $$$$ing Season Ticket for Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge & be like all the other $$$$ing plastic "supporters" :mad:

I imagine some fans in their 40's and 50's can remember when we regularly competed with Man Utd and Chelsea and would like to see us doing it again. Once you've witnessed a Wolves team beating the best and having a decent chance, wins V Doncaster and Barnsley don't have the same appeal.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 11:19
I imagine some fans in their 40's and 50's can remember when we regularly competed with Man Utd and Chelsea and would like to see us doing it again. Once you've witnessed a Wolves team beating the best and having a decent chance, wins V Doncaster and Barnsley don't have the same appeal.

I remember the good old days and have fond memories of standing on a huge South Bank competing against Spurs for the UEFA cup bloody Chivers!!!

However we have been out of that for a long time, too many year, the Toaster banner at the Millenium Stadium said it all. We were up for a season then back down again. When Mick arrived we were a busted flush and he built a team of kids and gave us pride again in our team.

I can honestly say the year we got promoted as Champions was a good a season of football and excitement since those heady days when I was a short arsed kid standing on the steps of the South Bank.

Is the dream broken? The game has certainly changed thats for sure and I am afraid to say changed for the worse. Yes the skills are there for all to see and movement speed and power of the worlds best competing.

But the game itself has changed for the worse. There is cheating a win at all costs and sod the ethics of fair play. Now we have players diving to get a penalty. Feigning injury to get a player sent off. The referee is in an impossible position I know but week in and week out the big boys get all the favourable decisions.

Yes I want to play in the Premier League, of course we all do. But I want a fair chance of winning fair and square. I dont want cheats getting away with diving or feigning injury or being clever and getting a free kick or influencing the referee. I am sick to deathh of going to watch matches and coming away that we were cheated.

I also hate that it is all down to money now. In fact its been that way for far to long. It is always about the top four teams that were always the same and now it is the top six because two more have been bank rolled or is it bankrupted??

It has become a game for rich men to indulge in and it stinks. They have taken the game that I love and twisted it and bent it into a game that just gets me angry with the money and the cheats.

Football is in my blood, it is just in me and I hope it will stay. My father hated football, never attended a match and pretends to like the Baggies just to wind me up - bite every time :D. I played it every day as a kid. Every break time, every dinner time. We played it on the street. First half was upto tea time, second half was upto the time we were called for bed. It was the same every day. Loved it.

My kids didnt really have a choice. When they were six, they got taken to their first match. Same for each of them, it was the Black country derby, what else!!! My youngest son still stands next to me today and he too has it in the blood.

I have enjoyed that we are in the Premier League but to be honest it is more a grind than the enjoyment of winning in the Championship. The Championship has the joy of winning most weeks whereas the Premier League sees us getting beat more often or not or grinding out a draw which feels like a victory. Highlights been beating the big boys last season and beating the Baggies.

Do I want to stay up? Course I bloody do, lets crush the QPR and then get stuck into the Baggies

Come on the Wolves

wwfc9
02-02-2012, 11:28

That's 3 of us like that then cause I $$$$in hate it too , I go to watch wolves and take little notice of the opposition tbh if we are getting outclassed I simply switch off. If we go down I would hazard a guess we will lose a couple of thousand of these people but probably gain back the same numbers from those who have simply seen the greed league for what it is .

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 11:31

I take your point, but I want Wolves to play in the PL-it took us bloody years to get back to the top level and unfortunately I am not sure we would come back up straight away. That would be an utter disaster and set the club back years as well as losing potential new young fans coming through.

wwfc9
02-02-2012, 11:36
Most new wolves fans coming through are either took by their parents because they are wolves or go with mates from school or college because there mates are wolves fans , that won't change and numbers will be similar .
We are not that a fashionable club for kids to just think arrr $$$$ it I'm going to be a wolves fan !!!!

wwfc9
02-02-2012, 11:40
In fact kids would enjoy going to molineux much more if we were winning , I loved it when I was a kid in the championship in the 90,s , but it bores the $$$$ out of me now and I'm 30 , doubt I'd have wanted to go now if I was a kid tbh , winning makes it more fun and afterall we only sing when were winning !!

Bostin
02-02-2012, 11:47
I'm just bored with the Premier League all together to be honest. Much rather be in the Championship.

Cheaper tickets, more people in the ground because the games aren't on the internet, less armchair fans, the excitement of drawing a top team in the cup, better football, more wins, the list goes on.

OCD Wolf
02-02-2012, 11:49
The Championship is a much better experience for the 'match going fan' but the Premier League is richer and the exposure (and cash involved) is massive.

I think that's the distinction, proper hardcore fans will follow Wolves wherever they play and if I was in a position to do so, I'd much prefer going round the country watching more, cheaper games in towns and cities devoid of 'tourist' supporters and actually getting some decent results.

The PL dream is like finally getting the woman you have lusted after for years, it's never as good as how you've been building it up to be. Sometimes the trying and the striving for the dream, is the dream. Happiness is the journey more often than the arrival.

Bostin
02-02-2012, 11:51
The Championship is a much better experience for the 'match going fan' but the Premier League is richer and the exposure (and cash involved) is massive.

I think that's the distinction, proper hardcore fans will follow Wolves wherever they play and if I was in a position to do so, I'd much prefer going round the country watching more, cheaper games in towns and cities devoid of 'tourist' supporters and actually getting some decent results.

I think it's things like the extra cash that have brought a divide between the players and fans. Well, not so much a divide, more a lack of a bond.

In the championship, players are generally honest and play with their hearts on their sleeve. In the PL, players play for cash, and are totally removed from normal people.

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 11:53
The general concensus on here seems to indicate that most of you would be fairly pleased to see us go down, which makes me wonder why we have all these MM/Morgan out threads?!

Bostin
02-02-2012, 11:54
I don't recall many people on this thread starting them, it's mainly 'newbies'

Monkey Man
02-02-2012, 11:55
The dream of the promised land is always better than the reality I'm afraid.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 11:56
The general concensus on here seems to indicate that most of you would be fairly pleased to see us go down, which makes me wonder why we have all these MM/Morgan out threads?!

I said that I wanted to stay in the Premier League BUT whilst I would be unhappy that we were relegated I would be happy in the knowledge that we will watch a Wolves team in a league where cheating is not so prevalent and where we will be going home happy as we win more games than not

Sutton Wolf
02-02-2012, 11:59

Totally agree,I have just watched an old DVD 101 Wolves Great Goals covering the period 1998 to 2003 and I had forgotten how good our build up play and finishing was during that time,if you need a pickmeup have a look sometime.

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 12:12
So people dont want to be in the premiership anymore because we cant compete financially, but we can in the championship. Some prefer the championship because we wont lose every week. Problem is, if we are successful in the championship where do we end up?

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 12:27
So people dont want to be in the premiership anymore because we cant compete financially, but we can in the championship. Some prefer the championship because we wont lose every week. Problem is, if we are successful in the championship where do we end up?

Hopefully just losing in the playoffs :D

Numpty
02-02-2012, 12:31
Why did sir Jack leave Wolves ?. I thought it was because he was not able to plough enough money in to Wolves and wanted someone that would invest in the team where he probably could not.
Everyone has a differing view on football and thats the great thing about it . In my view you get nowhere in the Prem unless you spend money. I can't name any sides that have not spent money and progressed over a few seasons. I can name Stoke, Newcastle , Sunderland etc that have spent money to try and progress. Maybe its me but maybe Stoke and Newcastle especially have realised earlier than us that they need to spend money to survive or move forward.

Footballers do earn to much money . But they earn lots of money because they play in leagues where they can be paid loads. Yes the Prem is not great for Wolves at the moment but if we did invest money then we probably enjoy it more because the quality on the pitch would be better. If anyone says they would not want wolves to go down the QPR route please forward me a link to the QPR forums where a poster has said they are not happy spending the money and getting better players in .

goldeneyed
02-02-2012, 12:40
I think a lot of us long term fans are getting tired of failure. There are only so many dull, witless performances you can watch before you start feeling this is a waste of time. I only go to a live match a couple of times a season now and that is bad enough. How some of you put up with current levels of performance week after week is beyond me. Patience indeed!

This season has been another wasted opportunity and we need a miracle right now to survive. We needed a couple more quality additions in the summer and they didn't arrive. We needed a manager with a more positive attitude who didn't run away from flair players but encouraged them and attracted them to the club. Too many plodders and worthy triers little or no class in his football teams.

Our lack of shots on goal is truly shocking and makes for boring viewing. Our inabilty to retain possession through technical/mental deficiencies is pretty scandalous. You long for a bit of magic from somewhere rather than seeing players clearly scared of their own shadows half the time.

Football generally is 'diseased' and there is not much we can do about that. But we are a great club with great traditions. Premiership football on a pretty much permanent basis is well within the scope of such a club if it is well managed. Morgan is wisely trying to think long term in terms of infrastructure etc but he should have identified MM's limitations a lot earlier. He should have know that the net addition of Johnson would never have been enough to turn things around on the pitch. He has been naive and now we are paying the cost.

The dream is still alive for me - just. But the thought of another stay in the second division is pretty unbearable even painful right now. And all so bloody unnecessary!

Golden Arrow
02-02-2012, 12:52
There's a rather large assumption here that everything would be well if we dropped into the Championship.

Is this before, or after we lost our best players / loan signings?

wallace
02-02-2012, 12:57
everything has been said, get a team that can compete, a few results and we would all feel a sense of purpose again. moxey said a while ago about having to invest sufficient amounts of money to get anything in this league. that hasnt changed.

JR WAS KING
02-02-2012, 13:16

I've watched Wolves since the late 60's, seen us beat Juventus, reach a UEFA cup final, beat Arsenal 5-1, beat Chelsea 7-1:eek:, and seen us so far ahead of a Man Utd team that got relegated, it was untrue. Of course I want those days to return, but to be honest, I got just as much pleasure out of beating Rochdale, Stockport and Hartlepool in our 4th division promotion season. It's Wolves I go to watch, and all I want is to enjoy my football. I loved the 4th and 3rd division winning seasons far more than anything I've experienced in the Greed League

chasman62
02-02-2012, 13:22
Why did sir Jack leave Wolves ?. I thought it was because he was not able to plough enough money in to Wolves and wanted someone that would invest in the team where he probably could not.
Everyone has a differing view on football and thats the great thing about it . In my view you get nowhere in the Prem unless you spend money. I can't name any sides that have not spent money and progressed over a few seasons. I can name Stoke, Newcastle , Sunderland etc that have spent money to try and progress. Maybe its me but maybe Stoke and Newcastle especially have realised earlier than us that they need to spend money to survive or move forward.

Footballers do earn to much money . But they earn lots of money because they play in leagues where they can be paid loads. Yes the Prem is not great for Wolves at the moment but if we did invest money then we probably enjoy it more because the quality on the pitch would be better. If anyone says they would not want wolves to go down the QPR route please forward me a link to the QPR forums where a poster has said they are not happy spending the money and getting better players in .

No disrespect intended but you really do need to read a little bit more widely on financial matters, because if you did perhaps your anger would be a bit better directed. Clubs like QPR are KILLING the game of football. Utterly and completely destroying it. They sign journeymen footballers like Bobby Zamora..pay a several million pound transfer fee and then renegotiate his contract to something that will pay him probably at least another 7 or maybe 8 million pounds over the next 2.5 years. Thats 11-12 million pounds GUARANTEED on top of whatever they have spent on their other glorious signings. For a club with a much smaller revenue stream than we have. Its lunacy.

Numpty
02-02-2012, 13:30
No disrespect intended but you really do need to read a little bit more widely on financial matters, because if you did perhaps your anger would be a bit better directed. Clubs like QPR are KILLING the game of football. Utterly and completely destroying it. They sign journeymen footballers like Bobby Zamora..pay a several million pound transfer fee and then renegotiate his contract to something that will pay him probably at least another 7 or maybe 8 million pounds over the next 2.5 years. Thats 11-12 million pounds GUARANTEED on top of whatever they have spent on their other glorious signings. For a club with a much smaller revenue stream than we have. Its lunacy.

You either move with the times or you get swept a side . QPR may be destroying the game, but show me a post where there fans are saying that . All I was saying in my post was that if we spent lots of money I doubt we would have people posting on here that we are destroying the game would we ?.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 13:35
You either move with the times or you get swept a side . QPR may be destroying the game, but show me a post where there fans are saying that . All I was saying in my post was that if we spent lots of money I doubt we would have people posting on here that we are destroying the game would we ?.

You could say the same about Leeds........I bet their fans will tell you about over spending or Pompey

Numpty
02-02-2012, 13:43
You could say the same about Leeds........I bet their fans will tell you about over spending or Pompey

That's down to poor mangement , You could turn that round and say Newcastle and Stoke as well . It works both ways but if you are managed correctly then you should be able to push the boat out a bit further . Leeds and Pompey all I will say is Ridsdale and Milan Manderic.

JOSWolf
02-02-2012, 13:47
There's a rather large assumption here that everything would be well if we dropped into the Championship.

Is this before, or after we lost our best players / loan signings?

Exactly. Look at Mdboro, Hull, Burnley and the likes of Coventry for what can happen.

JOSWolf
02-02-2012, 13:49

Fair point. Would there be a lot of fans on here complaining about how we were ruining the game if we were to splash the cash on players and wages?

Numpty
02-02-2012, 13:52
Fair point. Would there be a lot of fans on here complaining about how we were ruining the game if we were to splash the cash on players and wages?

I don't remember many complaints when we were spending loads in the Championship and wages. Do you think the likes of Barnsley and Colchester were saying that we were destroying the league then ?.

sc91
02-02-2012, 13:53
People wish to drop back down to the Championship, are you mad? The feel good feeling of promotion still clinging on or something. Progression is my main desire, did we not for years in the Championship dream of seeing us come up? I don't know about you but I sure as hell enjoyed beating Liverpool/United/Chelsea and so forth last season alot more then when we were dicking Barnsley/Doncaster etc. I know the negativity of the season has had it's tole but the Premiership is my preferred destination, though some do like being big fish in a small pond.

WalsallWolf
02-02-2012, 14:12
There is only one place to be.

Bull Army
02-02-2012, 16:23
A Wolves fan, first and foremost. Doesn't matter if it's in the Prem or in League 2, although the drop it would take to get there would make the last 3 seasons seem like 5-a-side practice games. But I wouldn't count out relegation as the death knell it might initially seems. Some teams can and have used it as a springboard to wash away the smell of defeat and refocus. I'd take a year or two in the Championship if we could start again and mount a better challenge at Premier League stability as we are, because the last 2 (arguably 3) seasons, have been soul destroying. Beating Man Utd and Liverpool and City and Chelsea have been scant consolation, purely in-the-moment victories. Come to think of it, all our victories have been like that, such is our absolute incapability of putting a good run together.

Bull Army
02-02-2012, 16:27
I don't remember many complaints when we were spending loads in the Championship and wages. Do you think the likes of Barnsley and Colchester were saying that we were destroying the league then ?.

Not even near a valid comparison. For QPR now, see Portsmouth 5 years ago, right down to the size of the ground. And look where Pompey are now. Our brief flirtation as the money men of the 2nd flight never threatened our survival.

JR's Boots
02-02-2012, 16:34
I desperately want Wolves to be a PL club and dread the prospect of relegation. However this season has been dreadful and a real chore. I can't remember enjoying any home game this season, apart from Fulham where briefly we looked a premier league team.

Which ever league we are in, we need fresh inpetus and ideas. The prospect of more of the same is just too depressing to bear.

spittlep
02-02-2012, 17:56
It is funny how the people who want to see us in the championship because we can compete and win more games also say they would hate us to be like Man City and QPR. Which is exactly what we are in the Championship.

Double Standards

JOSWolf
02-02-2012, 17:58
It is funny how the people who want to see us in the championship because we can compete and win more games also say they would hate us to be like Man City and QPR. Which is exactly what we are in the Championship.

Double Standards

Exactly. Would people complain on here if we started splashing the cash on wages and players and were winning more games in the premiership?

Numpty
02-02-2012, 18:07
No one would complain its just a way of glossing over the cracks. Why is there a Premiership because it is the best teams in England . If you go down then you are not good enough to compete at that level. People can say we can go down and rebuild over a season or two but didn't we do that last time we went down. I am sure two of the three Ms said the same mistakes would not be made so obviously something has gone badly wrong.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 18:08
There is only one place to be.

There's no place like home :D

Bjorn Star
02-02-2012, 18:21
I think people's memories of the Championship must have faded in the years since we've been up - there really were some dire performances and I wouldn't back us to neccessarily come straight back up. Even when we won the league we were quite often abysmal...the thought of Plymouth at home still makes me shudder.

chasman62
02-02-2012, 18:30
You either move with the times or you get swept a side .

Have to remember that one next time I ask the bank manager for an unsecured loan based on hypothetical 'future' earnings.

QPR may be destroying the game, but show me a post where there fans are saying that . All I was saying in my post was that if we spent lots of money I doubt we would have people posting on here that we are destroying the game would we ?

Ofd course you wouldnt but that doesnt mean it isnt true. I am sure that dingdong at Portsmouth loved it when his team were flying high but probably has second thoughts now. The examples you cite are irrelevent...Newcastle is an extremely poorly managed club with an enormous deficit that they are only able to service because some silly sod paid them 35 million for a two-legged donkey and Stoke are bankrolled from the personal fortune of one of the richest men in Britain.

Tettenhall Wolf
02-02-2012, 18:40
I remember the good old days and have fond memories of standing on a huge South Bank competing against Spurs for the UEFA cup bloody Chivers!!!

However we have been out of that for a long time, too many year, the Toaster banner at the Millenium Stadium said it all. We were up for a season then back down again. When Mick arrived we were a busted flush and he built a team of kids and gave us pride again in our team.

I can honestly say the year we got promoted as Champions was a good a season of football and excitement since those heady days when I was a short arsed kid standing on the steps of the South Bank.

Is the dream broken? The game has certainly changed thats for sure and I am afraid to say changed for the worse. Yes the skills are there for all to see and movement speed and power of the worlds best competing.

But the game itself has changed for the worse. There is cheating a win at all costs and sod the ethics of fair play. Now we have players diving to get a penalty. Feigning injury to get a player sent off. The referee is in an impossible position I know but week in and week out the big boys get all the favourable decisions.

Yes I want to play in the Premier League, of course we all do. But I want a fair chance of winning fair and square. I dont want cheats getting away with diving or feigning injury or being clever and getting a free kick or influencing the referee. I am sick to deathh of going to watch matches and coming away that we were cheated.

I also hate that it is all down to money now. In fact its been that way for far to long. It is always about the top four teams that were always the same and now it is the top six because two more have been bank rolled or is it bankrupted??

It has become a game for rich men to indulge in and it stinks. They have taken the game that I love and twisted it and bent it into a game that just gets me angry with the money and the cheats.

Football is in my blood, it is just in me and I hope it will stay. My father hated football, never attended a match and pretends to like the Baggies just to wind me up - bite every time :D. I played it every day as a kid. Every break time, every dinner time. We played it on the street. First half was upto tea time, second half was upto the time we were called for bed. It was the same every day. Loved it.

My kids didnt really have a choice. When they were six, they got taken to their first match. Same for each of them, it was the Black country derby, what else!!! My youngest son still stands next to me today and he too has it in the blood.

I have enjoyed that we are in the Premier League but to be honest it is more a grind than the enjoyment of winning in the Championship. The Championship has the joy of winning most weeks whereas the Premier League sees us getting beat more often or not or grinding out a draw which feels like a victory. Highlights been beating the big boys last season and beating the Baggies.

Do I want to stay up? Course I bloody do, lets crush the QPR and then get stuck into the Baggies

Come on the Wolves

Give that man a cigar! Dews I would have posted that exact post, but didn't have too. :-) I'm slightly younger, but all the same, it all resonates with me!

Bossworld
02-02-2012, 19:01
For all the negatives, the exposure you get in the Premier League compared with the Championship is ridiculous.

Sky regularly, Red Button highlights, MotD, full page spreads in national papers, headline news worldwide.

Couldn't agree more, have hardly seen any coverage or Big Sam or Ian 'rentaquote' Holloway this season.

I'd also agree with what Dews said, plus I miss my Bramall Lane/City Ground/Hillsborough etc. away days. Sunderland's always great and Wigan away a couple of seasons ago was brilliant, but of all the big grounds I've only been to Old Trafford this time around in the Prem and it was nowt to write home about.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 19:03
Give that man a cigar! Dews I would have posted that exact post, but didn't have too. :-) I'm slightly younger, but all the same, it all resonates with me!

Its Edge not Dews :D

Tettenhall Wolf
04-02-2012, 09:49
Its Edge not Dews :D

I blame the Jet lag sorry edge

Hatch End
04-02-2012, 11:30
We will have to splash the cash in the Championship!

Mugwump
04-02-2012, 11:44
We should be able to spend more than we have without getting into financial trouble. Most people buy houses they cant afford to pay in one lump sum. Its called serviceable debt. I'm not suggesting Wolves go into debt with silly amounts, but we are capable (as most clubs are) of having a managable debt. If premiership football is dictating us building the new stadium then we should never have bothered. We need to be in this league to progress as a club. The big bucks arent in the championship.

Papper
04-02-2012, 13:21

I would be concerned how much the club was going into debt and their ability to pay it off. Many have gambled and failed miserably. The warning signs are all there.