PDA

View Full Version : Mark Davies

Mugwump
01-02-2012, 23:06
Don't know if anyone saw the Bolton vs arsenal game but MD was superb. He is really starting to mature now as a player. A few more performances like that and he will be moving on to a big club.

MK Panther
01-02-2012, 23:53
We all knew he was good but was probably too skilfull for what we had to offer. It seems we have let go some really good players and purchased players who will never do anything consistently good.

goldeneyed
02-02-2012, 00:01
Classic Wolves. At last we produce a decent young footballer with obvious star potential and we let him slip through our fingers. People can argue about his departure till Kingdom come but the fact is he should have been in the first team after he returned from his very successful period with Leicester. MM was having none of it.

He may be a &&it but he is a hundred times the footballer than the likes of many of our midfielders. Without a series of injuries he would be playing for one of the top eight teams imv by now and will probably leave Bolton sooner rather than later if they get relegated.

oldgold4ever
02-02-2012, 00:07
Mark Davies? Mick had his eye on Eggy long, long ago…
Honestly it makes you weep and to think that MD is not only a brilliant player but he's also is a Wolves fan

Dubwolf71
02-02-2012, 00:10
We all knew he was good but was probably too skilfull for what we had to offer. It seems we have let go some really good players and purchased players who will never do anything consistently good.
Examples??

luckyjim
02-02-2012, 00:44
Perhaps he did a few of the cardinal sins in training under McCarthy:

1. Running forwards with the ball.
2. Beating a couple of players.
3. Shooting from a range of more than 10 yards.

Mick must have looked and thought "With that kind of attitude he might be a disruptive influence on my team. Get him out on loan."

:D

SomersetWolf
02-02-2012, 01:31
When i've watched him recently he has reminded me of Messi in a sense. He seems to have the ability to glide through tackles and run with the ball close to his feet, ok maybe not on the same scale as Messi but he has that skill about him. Give it until the summer and he'll be off to the top 6.

Dan dingle
02-02-2012, 01:37
Perhaps he did a few of the cardinal sins in training under McCarthy:

1. Running forwards with the ball.
2. Beating a couple of players.
3. Shooting from a range of more than 10 yards.

Mick must have looked and thought "With that kind of attitude he might be a disruptive influence on my team. Get him out on loan."

:D

hammill will be out next then , its like our skillfull players are being held back and not allowed to play to their strengths

Metal Wolf89
02-02-2012, 01:46
Quality player he is turning into.

Ashley
02-02-2012, 06:29
hammill will be out next then , its like our skillfull players are being held back and not allowed to play to their strengths

A few pointless step overs doesn't make him a skilful player! He isn't!

Dewsburywolf
02-02-2012, 06:52
Without a series of injuries he would be playing for one of the top eight teams imv by now and will probably leave Bolton sooner rather than later if they get relegated.

And there you have the reason for how things worked out with Wolves. Isn't hindsight wonderful?

Timberwolf
02-02-2012, 07:07
I think my memory is fading but isn't this the little $$$$$ who was all billy big boots when he was actually quite $$$$e? A lot of promise but still quite $$$$e.
Ok, he may be maturing now but it would have meant Wolves waiting 7-8 years for a half decent performance.
The lad was a tool and good on Mick for not pandering to him. Good riddance.

cannockwolves
02-02-2012, 07:40
I know Mick is not flavour of the month right now but it just amazes me how the facts can be bent to slag him off.

Correct me if I am wrong but did we not support him through two years of injuries and wanted him to stay but he wanted to follow his mentor from the youth team?

Polish Wolf
02-02-2012, 07:55
If we really had wanted to keep him we would have kept him. I'd rather have him as attacking midfielder than Edwards!

Rocky_Balllboa
02-02-2012, 07:58
All McCarthy's fault this one

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 08:07
I think my memory is fading but isn't this the little $$$$$ who was all billy big boots when he was actually quite $$$$e? A lot of promise but still quite $$$$e.
Ok, he may be maturing now but it would have meant Wolves waiting 7-8 years for a half decent performance.

What a load of bunkum.

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 08:18
I know Mick is not flavour of the month right now but it just amazes me how the facts can be bent to slag him off.

Correct me if I am wrong but did we not support him through two years of injuries and wanted him to stay but he wanted to follow his mentor from the youth team?

Basically he wanted to fight for his first team place after his very successful loan spell at Leicester. Mick wanted to send him back out on loan and he didnt want to go. He didnt feel he had much of a chance of getting into the team so he asked for a move. No big falling out with anyone and Mick did want to keep him.

Also, he had a fantastic attitude on the football side of things and was never any trouble at all. Its common knowledge he had a couple of incedents which have been immensley exaggerated on this forum. He worked hard to get over the injury problems he had and just wanted a chance to prove himself which he wasnt going to get. I know i probably should stay out of the kind of negative crap that gets spouted against MD, it just annoys me so much stuff gets said about him that just isnt right.

Paul76
02-02-2012, 08:34
It was absolutely criminal to sell Davies for a million quid. When he returned from Leicester, he should have been part of the squad.

North West Wanderer
02-02-2012, 08:38
Again????

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 08:48
Again????

I was only commenting on how well he played against Arsenal :confused:

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 08:53
I remember being surprised when he left, but there were lots of rumours around about his attitude etc and perhaps he was a disruptive element.

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 08:56
If he was disrputive why did Mick want to keep him and why did we offer him a new contract?

Black Coffee
02-02-2012, 09:08
All McCarthy's fault this one

Yeah, Looking a player in League 1 at Leicester as we were pushing Towards the Tile in the division above McCarthy wanted to keep him albeit wanted to send him out on loan a little longer, The club offered him a 3 1/2 year deal he hands in a transfer request and sold to Bolton who Chris Evans tapped up (along with Mark Connelly allegedly).

Yeah I can see the logic in that, Nice one.

asleulv
02-02-2012, 09:11
His pathetic dive in the first half made me laugh. What a joke.

Golden_Wolf
02-02-2012, 09:24
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

MD definitely has a lot of talent and potential and I was really annoyed when we let him go for a few reason. 1. The fact after his loan spell he didn't come back into the first team 2. He didn't really show us much loyalty considering how much we stuck by him. 3. How much we actually sold him for.

He's always had the potential and talent and maybe now he's starting to realise it. It's a shame it isn't in a Wolves shirt though.

MM and MD share equal blame on this one for me.

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 09:27
He is a better footballer than any midfielder we have at the club right now and he was at the time we refused to let him fight for his place.

PumpKing
02-02-2012, 09:29
And there you have the reason for how things worked out with Wolves. Isn't hindsight wonderful?

Too right Jim, coupled with some fan`s selective memory syndrome. It wasn`t exactly plain sailing with this guys` early career was it.?

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 09:33
I dont get the hate towards him personally. Maybe its just plain old bitterness because we all know he is a good player and he left the club. If in your job you felt you were being held back would you really want to stay? I dont believe anybody would and you couldnt blame them for wanting out.

Like i said before, he was never any bother on the football side. The club were worried about a couple of off field incidents but he sorted himself out.

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 09:53
I dont get the hate towards him personally. Maybe its just plain old bitterness because we all know he is a good player and he left the club. If in your job you felt you were being held back would you really want to stay? I dont believe anybody would and you couldnt blame them for wanting out.

Like i said before, he was never any bother on the football side. The club were worried about a couple of off field incidents but he sorted himself out.

I don't really get the hate towards him either, to the best of my knowledge he has not said anything derogatory about Wolves. Keane left as soon as he could, and that was entirely reasonable for him to develop his career, but some fans seem to think he is still the Messiah (and he is not, he is a very naughty boy for daring to score those two goals against us!).

bridgnorthwolf
02-02-2012, 10:14

Here here!

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 10:22
We stuck by him for along time with his injuries, we sent him out on loan then he tried to hold out for a new contract.......it seemed all one way. He lacked loyalty after we had stuck by him.

Hes is gone and must take a lot of the blame for the way he left IMO

Wolv3nsam
02-02-2012, 10:34
Him and Kightly were in very similar situations - long term injuries and consequently sent on loan. Difference is, if Bolton had have come knocking I bet Kightly would have told them to $$$$ off.

BigBadWolfie
02-02-2012, 11:37
Yes he had a good loan spell at Leicetser but assumed that gave him some god given right to walk straight back into a settled first team chasing promotion. The club offered him new contract but he saw his future in the premier league with his youth team mentor. What loyalty from a so called Wolves fan!

Good riddance I say

Mugwump
02-02-2012, 12:01
No point really anymore setting the record straight. Think i will stay out of MD threads from now on. Too many people on here like to believe their own little made up stories. Cockwombles the lot of them.

ice cream head
02-02-2012, 12:08
If ive got this right, Wolves offered him a 3 and a half year contract following 2/3 years of injury problems. McCarthy wanted him to go on loan for 6 months of that contract. Bolton come in and obviously tap him up no doubt offering PL money. He signs for Bolton for a million plus a % of any future profit.

It looks like Davies wanted PL football rather than 6 months out on loan and then maybe championship football at Wolves. Although I can understand that more money and PL football would be tempting, considering he's a very local lad and the club looked after him through his injuries, he didn't show much loyalty in return.

kennyB
02-02-2012, 12:18
Most footballers these days are only in it for the money so it's natural he went to another club if they offered a better deal. Don't blame him for that, just sorry he's not with us at present, is turning into a very useful player from being coached by someone other than our coaches.

Penk Wolf
02-02-2012, 12:21
Are we going to have a thread everytime he has a good game?

We all knew he was good, we all know he was a $$$$ and we all know why he left.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 12:23
If ive got this right, Wolves offered him a 3 and a half year contract following 2/3 years of injury problems. McCarthy wanted him to go on loan for 6 months of that contract. Bolton come in and obviously tap him up no doubt offering PL money. He signs for Bolton for a million plus a % of any future profit.

It looks like Davies wanted PL football rather than 6 months out on loan and then maybe championship football at Wolves. Although I can understand that more money and PL football would be tempting, considering he's a very local lad and the club looked after him through his injuries, he didn't show much loyalty in return.

This is more or less what I remeber too.

He had a number of years of injury and we stuck by him. We offered him a new contract and he decided to move

Complete lack of loyaltity after all the time we stuck by him

Buddhawolf
02-02-2012, 12:52
I was speaking to Ebanks-Landell's dad a month or so ago. Basically said that unless you are a 6ft+ "reducer", then no chance of making it as a central midfield player under the current regime. Look at the "small" players we've let go over the last few seasons. All v skillful (what we need at the moment) but not physically imposing.

Compare Davies v Jonnson. Has the trnasfer policy taken the Club forward?

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 12:53
I was speaking to Ebanks-Landell's dad a month or so ago. Basically said that unless you are a 6ft+ "reducer", then no chance of making it as a central midfield player under the current regime. Look at the "small" players we've let go over the last few seasons. All v skillful (what we need at the moment) but not physically imposing.

How big is O Hara???? Thats blown that theory

bridgnorthwolf
02-02-2012, 12:55
Are we going to have a thread everytime he has a good game?

Probably. It's only an average of two threads per season.....

bridgnorthwolf
02-02-2012, 12:56

Absolute rubbish!

In the defensive area of midfield then yes, although being 6'+ has nothing to do with it. Being physical does, so usually involves bigger players.

On the creative side it matters not one jot.

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 12:56
Probably. It's only an average of two threads per season.....

:D Quality

Buddhawolf
02-02-2012, 13:05
Bridgnorthwolf - I'm confused. I think you're agreeing with the point I was making (i.e. we need a blend of skill and power in the middle of the midfield). Totally agree that size is irrelevant in relation to a players skill level (and may be inverse - Messi?).

Buddhawolf
02-02-2012, 13:07
One swallow...

And how many times has he played him as part of a two man midfield. MMs default position is physicality in the middle of the pitch not creativity. He builds form a negative position (stopping the opposition when they are in possession) as opposed to the positive approach (retain the ball).

bridgnorthwolf
02-02-2012, 13:09
A good midfield has players who can break up play and be strong and players who can create things and players with pace (left up to the wingers in our case mainly) who can change the tempo.

Size isn't a factor it's purely that the defensive enforcers in midfield are usually bigger than the creative players and that's to be expected due to the respective abilities that each type of player should possess. It's not always the case though.

Brandons gramps
02-02-2012, 13:24
spoke to a guy that did some work on MD's house a while back. He got to know him and said he didn't want to leave Wolves. he reckons the contract offered was for half the wages he was on and that he would be out on loan for the foreseeable future. When Bolton came knocking he told Mick he would prefer to stay but was given the cold shoulder and took the offer.

the guy I was talking to also said that MD still regretted the move and missed Wolverhampton (thought Bolton was a $$$$hole)...

I have no reason to doubt the guy I was talking to and don't see why MD would have spun him a yarn.

Should he have accepted the pay cut and stayed after his time out injured..? easy to say yes but would you have turned down Bolton at his age?

JOSWolf
02-02-2012, 13:43
spoke to a guy that did some work on MD's house a while back. He got to know him and said he didn't want to leave Wolves. he reckons the contract offered was for half the wages he was on and that he would be out on loan for the foreseeable future. When Bolton came knocking he told Mick he would prefer to stay but was given the cold shoulder and took the offer.

the guy I was talking to also said that MD still regretted the move and missed Wolverhampton (thought Bolton was a $$$$hole)...

I have no reason to doubt the guy I was talking to and don't see why MD would have spun him a yarn.

Should he have accepted the pay cut and stayed after his time out injured..? easy to say yes but would you have turned down Bolton at his age?

If that is the case then it really is a crying shame we let such a talented player go so easily!

WalsallWolf
02-02-2012, 14:21
He has more ability than O'Hara but a lesser attitude/ethic than Jay Bothroyd. We have been no better off without him and will remain to be.

Taffywolf
02-02-2012, 14:27
Even when he was fit Mick never used to pick him so He felt as though he was never going to get a fair chance under MM.

JOSWolf
02-02-2012, 14:28

Could this be one of the reasons Kyle Bennett was released?
He has a lot of talent and is starting to breakthrough at Doncaster.
I think he will be a player we regret letting go.

JOSWolf
02-02-2012, 14:29
He has more ability than O'Hara but a lesser attitude/ethic than Jay Bothroyd. We have been no better off without him and will remain to be.

He's doing very well at Bolton now though.

Timberwolf
02-02-2012, 15:16
Anyway, $$$$ him! He didn't want to stay. End of!

BlakemoreWolf
02-02-2012, 15:41
I Guarentee he will play for Wolves again sometime...he visits my school Pool Hayes on occasions, he used to go their.

Golden Arrow
02-02-2012, 16:03
Good footballer, the change of club (and coaching staff perhaps) has worked well for him.
I wish him good luck, as indeed I do messrs. Keane, Lescott, and Jones if that's all right with the Police!

Edgmond Wolf
02-02-2012, 16:23
Good footballer, the change of club (and coaching staff perhaps) has worked well for him.
I wish him good luck, as indeed I do messrs. Keane, Lescott, and Jones if that's all right with the Police!

Lescott was loyal and one of my favourite players pity he was injured along with Matt for our first go in the Premier League who know things might have been different

FLEET WOLF
02-02-2012, 16:29
Lescott was loyal and one of my favourite players pity he was injured along with Matt for our first go in the Premier League who know things might have been different

Having those two fit for all that season would undoubtedly have made a differene, whether sufficient to keep us, we shall never know.

luiandlui
02-02-2012, 17:01
He is a better footballer than any midfielder we have at the club right now and he was at the time we refused to let him fight for his place.

Davies is not even close to being better than O'Hara in my opinion. Apart from that I agree with you, its a shame we lost a good player although I'm not sure anyone is particularly to blame, just circumstances.

FetishWolf
02-02-2012, 17:50
How good was he at Leicester?

Dewsburywolf
02-02-2012, 17:52
How good was he at Leicester?

Pretty decent but then again they were in the third tier at the time

bridgnorthwolf
04-02-2012, 17:07
We really missed this nobody today didn't we while he was tearing apart Norfolk's finest?

WAW!

Ted Bundy
04-02-2012, 17:10
we win 1 game & all of a sudden he's a nobody? lol I'm sorry but he's better then Edwards

Golden_Wolf
04-02-2012, 17:11
We really missed this nobody today didn't we while he was tearing apart Norfolk's finest?

WAW!

Really? This is quite sad.

He's still a better play than 2/3 of our midfielders.

bridgnorthwolf
04-02-2012, 17:13
Really? This is quite sad.

He's still a better play than 2/3 of our midfielders.

Who cares? He's not fit to lace O'Hara's boots!

Golden_Wolf
04-02-2012, 17:15
Who cares? He's not fit to lace O'Hara's boots!

LOL Clearly you care because you've gone out and found this thread which is a few days old to bring this back up.

bridgnorthwolf
04-02-2012, 17:19
Every time Mark Davies has a good game, which is usually twice a season he seems to get a thread.

I think we should get a mention every time we have a good game, it's only fair!

Golden_Wolf
04-02-2012, 17:20
Every time Mark Davies has a good game, which is usually twice a season he seems to get a thread.

We are getting a mention...it's in the other threads. Numpty.

Rhoswolf
04-02-2012, 18:18

So, the point is what?? I'm delighted the Wolves won and just want to enjoy the moment!

On Mark Davies, I remember spending several years anticipating his development. It didn't work out and we all have our opinions as to why, but as an ex-wolf I wish him all the best, apart from when in the opposition.

Mugwump
05-02-2012, 01:01

WAW!

What a sad, pathetic, bitter little invidual you are. Btw, how did you lover boy Maynard get on playing for West Ham today against the might of Milwall on the championship?

bridgnorthwolf
05-02-2012, 09:40
What a sad, pathetic, bitter little invidual you are. Btw, how did you lover boy Maynard get on playing for West Ham today against the might of Milwall on the championship?

He didn't play, but West Ham won despite playing 99% of the game with 10 men.

The only lover boys on here are you and Mark Davies. You bring him up on the odd occasion he has a good game and seem to paint him as some kind of messiah and how much worse off we are without him.

Sedgley Gold N Black
05-02-2012, 09:53
You can't even compare him & Edwards they are that far apart in technical ability. However JOH & Davies are pretty similar players of a pretty similar standard.

Imagine:
Jarvis-Fletch-Kightly
O'hara-Davies
Frimpong
Ward-Bassong-Johnson-Foley
Hen

Now THAT is a premier league team!

Dewsburywolf
05-02-2012, 09:57
You can't even compare him & Edwards they are that far apart in technical ability. However JOH & Davies are pretty similar players of a pretty similar standard.

Imagine:
Jarvis-Fletch-Kightly
O'hara-Davies
Frimpong
Ward-Bassong-Johnson-Foley
Hen

Now THAT is a premier league team!

With Doyle, Ebanks-Blake, Edwards, Henry, Berra,Zubar,Hamill & Milijas in reserve that really is some squad of players

Hollywood_wolf
05-02-2012, 10:08
Even when he was fit Mick never used to pick him so He felt as though he was never going to get a fair chance under MM.

And why should he have played when the team we had tore through the championship? If every player 'should get picked' we would be playing 25 a side.

Nothing changes though, there is a thread for every single player who should have got a chance, never had a chance, had a bust up with Mick, blah, blah, blah.

Mark Davies has gone, everyone knew he was a decent player, but he didn't want to stay. End of.

Lupo
05-02-2012, 10:52
The only lover boys on here are you and Mark Davies. You bring him up on the odd occasion he has a good game and seem to paint him as some kind of messiah and how much worse off we are without him.

I think you're wrong on this one Bridgnorthwolf - Mugwump only has eyes for one forbidden fruit and we didn't seem to notice his walking on water miracle when he came down from heaven the first time (he was more like Bambi on Ice!).

Mugwump
05-02-2012, 10:56
He didn't play, but West Ham won despite playing 99% of the game with 10 men.

Actually, thats the first time i have ever started a thread about his performance in a game. Go and get your facts right before you post such garbage. I have never made him out to be some kind of Messiah like you constantly did with your boyfriend Nicky Maynard. I do stick up for MD, mainly because people like you who know nothing about him or what went on when he left the club like to spout off incorrect things about him. I probably shouldnt do it, but when you know whats actually gone on it makes a difference.

You are just a pathetic little man who for some reason thinks its necessary to bring up a thread about MD just because Bolton lost a game. How sad. You didnt see the game so you wouldnt even know if he played well or not.

And one final thing, the only man for me is The Hoff, another striker who has scored more than your precious little Nicky Maynard this season in far less games. Hoff > Maynard.

Mugwump
05-02-2012, 10:58
I think you're wrong on this one Bridgnorthwolf - Mugwump only has eyes for one forbidden fruit and we didn't seem to notice his walking on water miracle when he came down from heaven the first time (he was more like Bambi on Ice!).

http://redbulls.com/soccer/salzburg/en/rbsb-news-detail_8069.html

Yet another goal for the long necked Austrian goal machine :D

Lupo
05-02-2012, 11:06
http://redbulls.com/soccer/salzburg/en/rbsb-news-detail_8069.html

Yet another goal for the long necked Austrian goal machine :D

in a friendly against Dynamo Budweiser (drunk thread!)

:adore:

Mugwump
05-02-2012, 11:11
They have some top, top defenders, i'm sure of it :D Have you noticed they have a clock counting down to the next time The Hoff is unleashed!

Oldgold Wolfcub
05-02-2012, 11:31
You are just a pathetic little man .
Although I know its aimed at someone else than myself its not normally like you to resort to lowering yourself to personal insults. Personally I appreciate your posts so please dont fall down to the level of some others.

wolvesman
05-02-2012, 11:44
MD
Never has so much been written about such a little piece of history.
That said he has given a good accont of himself at notlob, good luck to him.
He left for a better offer..thats life.

Mugwump
05-02-2012, 11:51
Although I know its aimed at someone else than myself its not normally like you to resort to lowering yourself to personal insults. Personally I appreciate your posts so please dont fall down to the level of some others.

Apologies for that Oldgold, you are totally right, its not something i usually do tbh. I'll cut it out in future. I just think its ridiculous to bring up an old thread just because Bolton have lost a game and use that as a stick to beat MD with. I do think its a pathetic thing to do however. If everyone was as petty as that we would have thousands of threads dragged up from the vaults!

PeteWolf
05-02-2012, 12:53
Just regarding the loyalty point in the posts previously, did he not turn down Man Utd for us when he was about 16?

I seem to remember the club highly publicising that at the time. It puts the other posts in terms of him getting a raw deal from MM in context, which with what we've heard from numerous other players now tends to support the theory that if your face doesn't fit at Wolves...